HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Tyler Biggs (2011, 22nd overall, Toronto)

Old
03-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Not at all. You couldn't seem to answer my simple question. You have such a strong opinion of Biggs and I envy it. I just want to know how many times you've seen the kid play to form that opinion. "*scouting service* says this" and "*scouting service* says that" are interesting ways to form your own definitive opinions, is all I am saying since you can't answer my painfully easy question as to how you formed your personal opinions.
Because it amuses me.

And you're question was answered.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Because it amuses me.

And you're question was answered.

"I don't have to answer that" isn't really a number or "amount" which is usually what is used to measure a quantitive figure....

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:43 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
"I don't have to answer that" isn't really a number or "amount" which is usually what is used to measure a quantitive figure....
The answer is ZERO.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The answer is ZERO.
It is not and I am very offended you thought that.

You "get mad" at people for running around saying things are certain and then you make assumptions yourself.

You've never seen a game of hockey in your life. You know why? Because I said so. You're logic. How many times I've seen Biggs has no bearing and only serves for him to derail my opinon so I have offered no number. I have seen Biggs and its not a large amout of times but I have seen him.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
You have offered nothing of substance to show anyone you saw him play. Internet videos do not count.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You have offered nothing of substance to show anyone you saw him play. Internet videos do not count.
Niether has anyone else ever on this site.

You have no point.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:14 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Big guy, as everyone's said. He's got a motor, like, he's got pretty good burst (in a top prospects showcase he blew past PK Subban). He has good hands for his size, but obviously some of the moves he goes for don't work at the NHL level. His wrister isn't particularly strong as much as his slapshot, which is an absolute laser. I'm not going to say Chara-good because Chara's a freak of nature, but Biggs has a very impressive slapper. It makes him more dangerous on the powerplay- he can muck about in the crease but at the same time rotate up to the point to unleash that shot. He'll drop the gloves when needed.

He's a good hitter and hits everything in sight to a fault- sometimes he'll go for the big hit and come up whiffing. This can be remedied with a patient coaching staff.

All in all he somewhat reminds me of when Milan Lucic went into the draft, though a bit more polished than Lucic was at that time.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:42 AM
Dutch Dreams

Do you guys think a Biggs pick would compare well to the Beach and Kassian picks of late, who were ultimately selected at 11th and 13th, respectively? These were other players who brought a noticeable physical game but their ultimate skill was a question, pushing them just out of the top-10 in which they had been ranked.

If so, how do you think they compare as players?

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:23 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
The ironic part of this debate is that those going against Prophet of Glennie having actually provided any interesting insight AT ALL. Their argument is entirely based on trying to devalue the opinion of someone else, rather then providing accurate insightful discussion on the skills Biggs does have.

If you think Tyler Biggs does have higher end upside, then instead of a pointless ego war, how about actually talking about Biggs himself?

Regarding Biggs, i can't say i have actual viewings of substance to balance an opinion on him. But what i would say is that if his upside is Backes, i wouldn't touch him in the Top 10. Would any teams trade a Top 10 pick for Backes? Maybe, i don't know, but i would be pissed if my team did.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The ironic part of this debate is that those going against Prophet of Glennie having actually provided any interesting insight AT ALL. Their argument is entirely based on trying to devalue the opinion of someone else, rather then providing accurate insightful discussion on the skills Biggs does have.

If you think Tyler Biggs does have higher end upside, then instead of a pointless ego war, how about actually talking about Biggs himself?

Regarding Biggs, i can't say i have actual viewings of substance to balance an opinion on him. But what i would say is that if his upside is Backes, i wouldn't touch him in the Top 10. Would any teams trade a Top 10 pick for Backes? Maybe, i don't know, but i would be pissed if my team did.

Well, you've just concluded that the opinions of most on this site when it comes to legit prospect evaluation are akin to a fragile house of cards-and you're right! I can't imagine hardly anyone, pro or con has seen Biggs play enough to come up with a reliable opinion. That being said, if you go by the *professional* evaluations of Biggs, he is clearly a big riser over the last six months. As for your Backes comparison, if you don't think a team would trade a top ten pick (especially in the lower end) for a player of his ilk, then I doubt you've seen much of Backes either.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Griffey Jrs Soul View Post
Do you guys think a Biggs pick would compare well to the Beach and Kassian picks of late, who were ultimately selected at 11th and 13th, respectively? These were other players who brought a noticeable physical game but their ultimate skill was a question, pushing them just out of the top-10 in which they had been ranked.

If so, how do you think they compare as players?
That's a reasonable conclusion, although Biggs has none of the character issues Beach has been saddled with since juniors.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:56 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post

I catch about 70 USHL games live in person every year, across Fargo, Sioux Falls, Omaha and also about 50 more on B2(derp, "AmericaOne" now) online. I get a constant giggle out of these "interweb experts" from places who literally never see these USHL kids play, but they seem to have definitive opinions on them.

"Biggs doesn't have that skill set!"...Oh, how did you form your opinion? What is your viewing sample?..."I don't have to answer that!". I realize this site has been overrun with teenage kids who love the Youtubes and think they are the next Scotty Bowman but at least attempt to back up silly statements.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

You could have quit but you continue an aruguement you have no buisness winning. Like J17 said, you won't tell me why you just tell me and you think that arguement is suffiecient. It's not, it never will be and I hope you aren't in any sort of occupation that demands you to prove something with more than just "I said so you don't know what you're talking about"

Old
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
You could have quit but you continue an aruguement you have no buisness winning. Like J17 said, you won't tell me why you just tell me and you think that arguement is suffiecient. It's not, it never will be and I hope you aren't in any sort of occupation that demands you to prove something with more than just "I said so you don't know what you're talking about"

I concede. You've clearly seen all USHL players more than I have. I just double checked the Seth Ambroz thread (http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=753482) and you seem to have an opinion on him too! Crazy. You've got a bigger viewing sample than someone who lives in the midwest and catches more than a single team's worth of games live a year, all the while, living in an entirely different country.

I'll just agree with you now. Biggs = Bust. There. I said it!

Old
03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

And yet again you avoid the actual topic and instead use Ad Hominem through sarcasm. Pretty much shows you know you're wrong but are despertely trying to find somethig to discredit me which you continue to fail at.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
And yet again you avoid the actual topic and instead use Ad Hominem through sarcasm. Pretty much shows you know you're wrong but are despertely trying to find somethig to discredit me which you continue to fail at.
So, you are right, without being able to answer a simple question, about how you formed your opinions. While someone who is asking you how you formed your opinions, who actually watches said player often, is wrong. Got it.

Here's the thing. When someone challenges your opinion on a player...who plays in a league in that person's back yard, when you live in an entirely different country, don't be afraid to produce evidence. Especially when all that person is doing is ASKING you how large your viewing sample is. It's a novel concept actually.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
How is he avoiding the topic? Lol, he has clearly stated he has seen him play many times and has based his opinion on that.

Adding to the fact his ranked 5th among NA and 8th by iss.

Therefor the onus is on YOU to prove why Biggs doesn't have "top 10" skill or whatever.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with Biggs has the skill to be ranked and picked top 10 since I've only read scouting reports, watched videos.

I just think it's ridiculous that your disregarding actual scouting agencies which ranked him in top 10 for a reason and someone who has actually seen him play many times.

That's my opinion anyways.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
So, you are right, without being able to answer a simple question, about how you formed your opinions. While someone who is asking you how you formed your opinions, who actually watches said player often, is wrong. Got it.

Here's the thing. When someone challenges your opinion on a player...who plays in a league in that person's back yard, when you live in an entirely different country, don't be afraid to produce evidence. Especially when all that person is doing is ASKING you how large your viewing sample is. It's a novel concept actually.
I am VERY interested in Biggs, since you have seen him play many times could you give us a mini scouting report?

What kind of skill level does he have, shot, skating, and etc.

Thanks.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Dynamo just don't post if you're going to keep going off topic.

Sonny you're a little late. I already said that just because he's ranked in the top 10 doesnt mean he has top 10 skills. Also, it doesnt mean I have to agree with it or think a team should take him top 10. I have my opinion and all Dynamos done is instead of say why he disagrees he attacks me to try to get me to change my opinion which will not happen.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:

Sonny you're a little late. I already said that just because he's ranked in the top 10 doesnt mean he has top 10 skills. Also, it doesnt mean I have to agree with it or think a team should take him top 10. I have my opinion and all Dynamos done is instead of say why he disagrees he attacks me to try to get me to change my opinion which will not happen.
I don't disagree. However, what do you base that opinion on (Biggs not having top 10 skill)?

Like if you have seen him or have kept a close eye on his progress and state that then that's fine.

You don't think he has top 10 skill and shouldn't be picked in top 10 and Dynamos does.

You both can agree to disagree. I just think he wants to know what your basing your opinion on, that's all since it seems you haven't watched him play.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:33 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I am VERY interested in Biggs, since you have seen him play many times could you give us a mini scouting report?

What kind of skill level does he have, shot, skating, and etc.

Thanks.
It's been touched on a bit by others...

Skating - Great balance, hard to knock off the puck. Good, not great speed.

Shot - Again, good not great wrister(on par with Ambroz probably). Elite Slapper.

Hockey Sense - Sees the game well. Knows where to be. Plays extremely hard, digs in, wins battles(unlike Ambroz).

As I already said, he WILL be an NHL player. Not going to bust, not gonna happen. Be it top 6 or bottom six, he will be a player in the NHL.

If all the stars align, Keith Tkachuk-lite, floor potential, a guy like Clarkson.

I could get into more specifics if you would like.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Asking about your viewing sample of Tyler Biggs, in a Tyler Biggs thread, is irrelevent? So if someone asks you how you got your opinion on a player, in that player's thread, somehow its not on topic.

LOL. Oh dear.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Yes it is when you persist and I already said I've seen him just not a lot. You wouldn't debate you just attacked and that's pretty pathetic.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yes it is when you persist and I already said I've seen him just not a lot. You wouldn't debate you just attacked and that's pretty pathetic.
I'm not going to waste my time "debating" someone from Ontario about a player who plays in the US midwest, if they have not seen the player on a number of occasions. You couldn't answer such a simple question, when all it was, was a simple question about how many times you have seen the player who this thread is about. You can play the victim and feel my posts are off topic, but you can also be completely wrong. Asking about Tyler Biggs, in a Tyler Biggs thread, is not off topic.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
I catch about 70 USHL games live in person every year, across Fargo, Sioux Falls, Omaha and also about 50 more on B2(derp, "AmericaOne" now) online. I get a constant giggle out of these "interweb experts" from places who literally never see these USHL kids play, but they seem to have definitive opinions on them.

"Biggs doesn't have that skill set!"...Oh, how did you form your opinion? What is your viewing sample?..."I don't have to answer that!". I realize this site has been overrun with teenage kids who love the Youtubes and think they are the next Scotty Bowman but at least attempt to back up silly statements.
I don't care how many games you've seen. I don't care about your little complex and if you believe your opinion has more entitlement because of the total amount of games you have seen. I simply wish to hear actual views on him ; discuss his skillset. If im going to waste time on HfBoards, i either wish to do it trollin, or reading interesting and informative stuff. Not this ...

So instead of acting like your better than the rest, offer a substantial view please.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote