HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Murray

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We can meet and discuss how stupid I am any time you would like.
Someone's cruisin for a bruisin. lol

Old
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I expect to see competent management and a good effort on the ice. Being unhappy when I don't get it does not make me a bad fan.
Hurt your feelings? haha sorry, I changed it right away before you quoted it though... Tought it wasn't diplomatic

But no problem, if you can drive to Montreal, we can meet.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Ron Jeremy

vCash: 500
For your review...

The guy has pulled off some of the greatest fleece jobs of all time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_M...n_Record_as_GM

Old
11-25-2010, 09:49 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I hope you are being sarcastic because that is one brutal resume.

I am a little far from Montreal too.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
I hope you are being sarcastic because that is one brutal resume.

I am a little far from Montreal too.
We can share the travel costs though

Well, I hope that, like me, you have better things to do

I should have been in bed 1 hour ago, good night but take it easy seriously, it's just a game, an entertainment. Funnier times will come someday but you better hope Murray picks pan out, cuz if not, it could take several more years before the Sens can contend again... even with another GM. Reality of the new NHL, every team can succeed, particulary those who have drafted high for years.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Leachman

One thing is clear here. Ron Jeremy and John Holmes need to have a Meat Sabre duel.

Old
11-26-2010, 12:06 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I just said "discuss"

I have a flip chart and powerpoint presentation ready to go.

Old
11-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatoilers View Post
Yup it's all because of Duchene. Not because Colorado drafted Statsny, Stewart, Galiardi, Shattenkirk, Yip, and Cumiskey while Muckler brought us Foligno, Regin, Lee, and Elliot who have combined for 1 goal this season. If you want to include Mez and Eaves, Muckler draft picks from 2002-2006 have combined for 5 goals this season while Stewart and Statsny alone have a combined 19. Hell Erik Karlsson alone has 4 goals and has almost as many goals as Muckler's entire group of draftees. But nevermind that, it's easier to blame Murray for not tanking in 08-09.
Galiardi,Yip,Cumiskey are not better and will not be better than Foligno,Regin and Meszaros . Yeah Statsny and Stewart are great , but what ever happened with Mucks team foundation , you know Spezza,Heatley,Phillips,Volchenkov,Emery. At the time Murray took over we had two top 15 forwards in their prime, the top shut down pair and a goalie just entering his prime. You know, if Murray handles Emery situation better, doesn't mess up with coaches changes , doesn't sign Kuba for doing a bunch of nothing(if you compare him with Anton) at the expense of losing Volchie - maybe we can add Karlsson,Regin and Gonchar to the core of Spezza,Heatley,Phillips,Volchenkov and Emery. Hey I'm allowed to use hindsight and a bunch of what ifs, if you guys do it so often with Mucks

Old
11-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
Galiardi,Yip,Cumiskey are not better and will not be better than Foligno,Regin and Meszaros . Yeah Statsny and Stewart are great , but what ever happened with Mucks team foundation , you know Spezza,Heatley,Phillips,Volchenkov,Emery. At the time Murray took over we had two top 15 forwards in their prime, the top shut down pair and a goalie just entering his prime. You know, if Murray handles Emery situation better, doesn't mess up with coaches changes , doesn't sign Kuba for doing a bunch of nothing(if you compare him with Anton) at the expense of losing Volchie - maybe we can add Karlsson,Regin and Gonchar to the core of Spezza,Heatley,Phillips,Volchenkov and Emery. Hey I'm allowed to use hindsight and a bunch of what ifs, if you guys do it so often with Mucks
**** off wit that ****. I'm tired of hearing people around here blame everyone but Ray Emery for what happened. He wasn't that great to begin with anyway. Why the **** do people miss this guy?

Old
11-26-2010, 06:31 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
**** off wit that ****. I'm tired of hearing people around here blame everyone but Ray Emery for what happened. He wasn't that great to begin with anyway. Why the **** do people miss this guy?
He was good but some seem to think he is the only reason they did so well which i do not beleave.

Old
11-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Alright so what are a GMs main responsibilities, and how has Murray been at these? (BTW 2-4 are all interrelated so don't get whiny if I reference the same thing a couple of times)

1) Hire coaches
He's been bad at this. I'm pretty sure he just hires them based on how good a scapegoat they'll make. I guess Clouston was alright for a while.
Grade: D-

2) Draft
A lot of people think he's been good at this, but he's had 4 drafts and 1 draftee is on the NHL roster. In fairness it's still early for a lot of these guys but for a team that's lacked depth, the fact that only 1 guy has managed to make the roster doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. He also does a poor job of acquiring picks and trades them away as if they are literally lottery tickets. Fewer picks = less good players drafted.
Grade: C (Karlsson bumps it up from a D)

3) Contracts
He overpays everyone (in years and/or dollars) and tacks NTC's on like it's nothing. He's negotiated maybe 2 contracts that haven't been an overpayment of some sort. And don't try to feed me some BS about how he has to overpay people to get them to sign here. If that's the case then he should be trading these guys away and putting more money into the farm system, because the money will be better spent there.
Grade: F

4) Trades
I guess that Meszaros trade ended up alright. All the other ones have been crap. I understand Heatley kind of screwed Murray over with that trade request but Murray set himself up for it by throwing a NMC on the contract and announcing to everyone that Heatley had requested a trade. He also should have grown a pair and told Heatley he wasn't going to get traded unless they ripped up the NMC. So he messed up in regards to the NMC twice.
Grade: D-

5) Player Relations
Awful. Embarrasses his players by criticizing them in the media, reveals private conversations with his players... Every time he trades a roster player he insists that the player requested a trade. So he's either lying about that, which makes him a jerk, or he's telling the truth, which means players don't like him, which makes him a jerk. He just seems like a self serving, untrustworthy guy who's really looking to cover his own ass instead of doing what's best for the team.
Grade: F-

Overall
F. Yeah it's not the average of all the grades but the team is mediocre and it doesn't like like it'll improve in the near future. They might stay in the 14-18th in the league range for a few more years before they become bottom feeders after Alfie gets too old to play and Fisher, Neil, Gonchar and Phillips (after his inevitable bad contract is signed) all pass their expiry dates (while still taking up like 40% of the cap of course).
Thi is the "wtfest" post I have ever read on HF Boards, and I have read a lot of those.

How can you give a F grade when team finished 13th in the NHL last year (44 wins) and is like 4 points out of 12th this year?

This is an average team (can finish anywhere from 10 to 20) that is replenishing its young talent. It's a process and you don"t go back to contention overnight

It is as simple as that

What grade would you give him if we were the New York Islanders or the Florida Panthers? Z? lol

People will never cease to amaze me. I can't believe what I'm reading this morning, so many people just look sad and angry by nature, I feel bad for them

Old
11-26-2010, 07:46 AM
pt_mck

The team put together is good enough to contend in the east and contend for the division title. If the team were putting forth their best gutsiest effort every night and the record was the same then some of these comments may be valid. Murray put together a good team. They are under acheiving. That is the fault of the coaching staff for not getting them ready to play every day to the best of their abilities. That is by definition the job of the coaches.

Old
11-26-2010, 07:50 AM
wjhl2009fan

arglebargle

Drafts
Murray has restocked the prospect pool are they all going to be stars no but a fair amount could be nice nhl players.Murray as a rule does not trade picks like the lottery tickets.

Trades
Yes he has made some bad trades as for murray leaking the trade demand think about it how in any way would that make sense.

Player Relations
Everything thing points to he does have a good relations and no he does not tell the media everything that is said.

Contracts
Look around the league most teams over pay.

Overall
Wow you give him a f i hate to see what you would give a team that is really bad.As for the team beeing bottom feeders that won't happen and the team will be better next year.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Besides, wasn't dealing with Emery the coach's responsibility?

I guess the Murray haters will transfer that blame to Murray since he hired the coach.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
guyzeur

I am ok with everything Murray did so far including coaches changes, his trades, his handling of players, listen: the entertainment/interest value has been there since Murray has been GM; Restocking the farm is a big plus for the future. Everything except the Heatley trade.

I think he overreacted when he saw Heatley at training camp. I am just unhappy with the fact that we got Michalek and Choo-choo train's salary cap. I think we would have been better just to give Heatley to SJ than picking up those two.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:40 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I am ok with everything Murray did so far including coaches changes, his trades, his handling of players, listen: the entertainment/interest value has been there since Murray has been GM; Restocking the farm is a big plus for the future. Everything except the Heatley trade.

I think he overreacted when he saw Heatley at training camp. I am just unhappy with the fact that we got Michalek and Choo-choo train's salary cap. I think we would have been better just to give Heatley to SJ than picking up those two.
I doubt the league would have allowed ottawa to just hand healty to sj with no return.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:42 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I doubt the league would have allowed ottawa to just hand healty to sj with no return.
SJ needed to clear cap space anyways... I'd argue we got even less value for Heatley in the deal then if we were to give him away for nothing

Old
11-26-2010, 09:51 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
SJ needed to clear cap space anyways... I'd argue we got even less value for Heatley in the deal then if we were to give him away for nothing
It still stand by my point the league would not allow it.

Old
11-26-2010, 09:58 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
It still stand by my point the league would not allow it.
Because something has to go back. They would not reject a 7th rd pick

Old
11-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Moot point, it didn't and couldn't have happened due to the cap.

I would also suggest if Michalek was playing on the right side with Spezza the team would see more production from him. It is also unfortunate that he suffered the knee injury late last year. While he is definitely struggling, he might still become an important piece in time.

The one thing that did puzzle me, is why Murray couldn't have negotiated Ehrhoff into the deal, since Lukowich and Ehrhoff were basically a salary dump to help accommodate the Heatley salary hit.

Old
11-26-2010, 10:25 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Thi is the "wtfest" post I have ever read on HF Boards, and I have read a lot of those.

How can you give a F grade when team finished 13th in the NHL last year (44 wins) and is like 4 points out of 12th this year?

This is an average team (can finish anywhere from 10 to 20) that is replenishing its young talent. It's a process and you don"t go back to contention overnight

It is as simple as that

What grade would you give him if we were the New York Islanders or the Florida Panthers? Z? lol

People will never cease to amaze me. I can't believe what I'm reading this morning, so many people just look sad and angry by nature, I feel bad for them
I completely agree with everything you've said. Although right now I've contributed to the anger by taking out my essay-induced stress on HF's bipolar Sens fanbase

Old
11-26-2010, 10:26 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Because something has to go back. They would not reject a 7th rd pick
I think they would as they would just see it as a salary dump by ottawa.

Old
11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
I think they would as they would just see it as a salary dump by ottawa.
Salary dumps are not against the CBA

Old
11-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
True

Old
11-26-2010, 11:14 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
It depends look at the leafs-tampa trade a few years back many thought it should be rejected for the very reason is it was no more then a salary dump.

Closed Thread