HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cleaning goalie gear

Old
07-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Fenton

vCash: 500
Cleaning goalie gear

What is the best way to clean goalie gear? I am finding that my neck guard, C/A, mask, gloves and pants are starting to smell like garbage.

Can the neck guard be tossed into the laundry machine?

I use Febreze and air out my gear after every session, but it is starting to just cover the stench. I don't really want to pay to get my gear cleaned if I can do a decent cleaning at home.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 09:25 AM
vincetheprince

I put my players gear outside for a day and it doesnt smell anymore.

vincetheprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 12:23 PM
sc37

Most of those items can be tossed in a bathtub with some detergent. Or find one of the SaniSport machines and take it there. Also look for some scented alcohol and give it a light spray, just becareful on some items as to not dissolve glue (like in your mask). Gloves, boil up some water and pour it on a towel and then take it and wipe the insides of the gloves. Or like the person above, gear on the deck outside for a day works wonders if your stuff isn't reallly nasty.

sc37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2007, 06:19 PM
MikeD

The absolute best is to have it professionally done if possible. Look for a place that uses an Ozone process. Turn around time is about 1 hour for your entire kit, bag included.

A bathtub wash is with a delicate liquid detergent such as woolite(sp?). Dry time is several days , away from direct heat or sunlight. I have used both top and front loader machines for my CA and Pants. Totally soaking a glove or Pad only pisses it off.

During any spin cycle, if the gear rubs on a non moving edge it will cut through the material. Top load machines can do this very quickly while front loaders dont seem to be a problem in this regard.

Note: if your bold enough to attempt to use a top loader with hte lid up and safety switch bypassed....A spinning machine can completely twist a snagged arm right off your shoulder!!!!!!!! not suggested.

A simple mix of 3 parts water to 1 part Isopropyl alcohol misted heavily on and into gear and let dry. Repeat process several times over the next couple days for heavy smell. Do not waste much spraying directly onto sythetic leathers. Simply wipe those areas. Backs and internals are the focus as well as your bag. There are inexpensive anti bacterial sprays for use once you have your gear in top notch shape.

* the mixture also makes a great replacement for ice pacs and are a lot less than chemical pacs. Freezes into a slush that conforms to hard to ice areas such as ankle or hand.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:10 AM
gick

if you have the money, you can get it cleaned at a place like this http://www.metrowestcleangear.com/

gick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 12:42 AM
RR1107

Good tip one of my buddies gave me for my goalie glove and blocker, which for me get REAL bad. Stuff a dryer sheet in it after games and take it out the next day (you can even put another one in once they dry, but you want to take that first one out because it will get wet). Not only do they seem to soak up some of the moisture, but they smell pretty good. I have a couple blockers, and I was able to start using one again that was so bad smelling I had to quit using it by drying it and then letting it sit for about 2 weeks with a dryer sheet in it. Supposedly this also will help keep them from getting real stiff and rotting.

Also, I hang my equipment after every session in a cabinet, sorta like a locker stall but with sliding doors on it. I put a can of DampRid in with it, which helps pull moisture out of the air. Since the cabinet is pretty small (like 4Widex2Deepx6Tall) the DampRid dries things out pretty fast. You can get it at any Home Depot or Lowes. Baking soda works ok also and will also help pull the stink out, but I prefer the damprid.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...G60&lpage=none

If my equipment is real wet (especially after some of the double headers we play), I will hang it on a rack above a dehumidifier for about 24 hours before I store it in the cabinet.

For me, Febreeze just makes my equipment either sticky when its dry, and then it gets slimy when it gets wet, so I stay away from that. The worst items for me are my goalie pants and my glove and blocker. I haven't found much that works great for the pants other than a good wipedown with some mild detergent, and some good airing out.

Hope some of this helps.

RR1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 07:38 AM
RedK

The neck guard, C/a and pants can all be put in a washer if you have one big enough. I use my bath tub. If you do this, make sure you rinse twice to get all the soap out.

Glove and blocker cannot be washed as easily. The only thing you can realy do is pour in hot water to dissolve the body salts that cause the crunchies. If you are a gear technician, you can unlace your glove, take out the palm and handwash it, but this is a pain. Your best bet is to make sure the glove and blocker are opened for drying after every use. I have heard that rubbing alcohol diluted with water can be sprayed inside to help remove the smell. Professional cleaning like a sanisport will also work to destroy the smell, but will not remove the crunchies.

The mask can be sanisported to remove the smell, or simply wiped out with a damp cloth. Again, air it out after use for health reasons.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 07:30 PM
nodq

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilFF View Post
What is the best way to clean goalie gear? I am finding that my neck guard, C/A, mask, gloves and pants are starting to smell like garbage.

Can the neck guard be tossed into the laundry machine?

I use Febreze and air out my gear after every session, but it is starting to just cover the stench. I don't really want to pay to get my gear cleaned if I can do a decent cleaning at home.
I just answered this question here. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=405808

Applies to goalie gear as well.

And yes i did it to my own goalie gear.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:28 AM
dastanzenmitdraken

Goalie gear cleaning

I have been told that soaking the chest protector in a tub with some swimming pool chlorine would take the smell out. What say you?

dastanzenmitdraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastanzenmitdraken View Post
I have been told that soaking the chest protector in a tub with some swimming pool chlorine would take the smell out. What say you?
Only a good idea if you want to end up buying new gear.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
I don't know if they're in the Toronto area, but you could do a search for Esporta cleaning. I've always used them in Alberta. It's a special process specifically designed to remove the junk from hockey gear.

If you want to just flash up your leather gear again (pads, blocker, glove): Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They're amazing at removing puck marks.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Apparently I didn't post earlier, but I was a big proponent of soaking gear in a tub with detergent, but I read from a knowledgeable former equipment guy over at ModSquad that it's very bad for the foams in protective gear. He recommends the cleaning machines.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Wicker5150*

Gear Zone

Check out this new company, we sanitize and deodorize your bag for just $15. It is fairly new and we are trying to keep up with demand with five trailers on the go steady. Keep your eyes for one in your area.

Wicker5150* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Shaving cream rubbed into your gear will make it smell better and keep the leather soft.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote