HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#24: Flames @ Flyers - Friday, Nov. 26, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
where can you find Pronger's presser?
It will be on the official website in a few hours.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
MassiveHosen does suck as a ref, but I beleive it was Herbert who made the call. He is a bad ref. Saw plenty of him in the AHL.
Ah, thanks. Still hate him either way. Never gonna forgive him for that call on Biron.

Finished going through the highlights and got a couple thoughts on Bobrovsky. Not happy with the goals he gave up. The SO winner seemed a bit weak and the two he gave up in regulation he was cleanly beat on to the top of the left pad. Granted, one was an excellent shot and the other was SH, but still. Looks like he posted good stats, but I'm not thrilled with the goals he gave up. Seems like he got outplayed by Kipper today.

What's really amazing about Bobrovsky to me though is how well he can do the splits. He's able to go post-to-post and leave little to no five-hole room just by doing the splits. That's impressive. Never see too many guys being able to do that with such regularity.

Where can I see Giroux's SO goal? I heard it was good and his SO attempts are always something. For w/e reason the highlights on NHL.com don't show the whole SO (just the winner) and you can't view them in the box-score like you can the regulation goals. It would be nice if I could see Richards' and Briere's attempts as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garbage Goal

Anyways, it could always be worse. We could be shutout by the Islanders.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1946
Post-game quotes up:

http://www.csnphilly.com/11/26/10/Fl...095&feedID=695

Quote:
Still, it was a brutal call on Pronger.

“I’m not going to get into ‘he said,’ ‘she said’ with the refs. I’m the he,” Pronger began.

“The puck went into the net and that [wave] was five seconds before the puck went into the net. I wasn’t turned around at him, waving in his face. I was right here, put my arm out and put my arm back on my stick and the puck went into the net.”

Shouldn’t it have been a penalty against Kipper before the hand wave?

“That’s for you to decide,” Pronger replied.

The Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association asked for an explanation from the officials. No comment.

“Because they know they screwed up, that’s why,” Pronger said when he heard the officials would not explain themselves.

Kipper saw it differently. Well, a little.

“Maybe the call was a little bit late, but I know the referee saw it,” he said. “It was a good call. He’s a big guy and it’s hard to try and find the puck behind him, but I think it was the right call.”

All this aside, the Flyers were outplayed by a Calgary team that had lost three straight.

“We didn’t play our best game or to the level we can play … We didn’t get that next goal to win the game,” Pronger said.

Worse, the Flyers power play went 0-for-6 and is now one-for-its-last -32. No excuses for that, either.

“I guess it’s cooled off,” Pronger said of the powerless play.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

regarless of the refs. How does kimmo not score in OT. He should be ashamed of himself

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.
Kipper wasn't ready for the goal because he was too busy sticking the back of Pronger's knee at the time. It had nothing to do with Pronger's arm (and his hand was back on his stick when the shot was made).

I just hope this point means absolutely nothing at the end of the regular season.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
you are wrong. the rule explicitly states you have to be facing the goalie not have your back to him

Rule 75 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct: "An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
regarless of the refs. How does kimmo not score in OT. He should be ashamed of himself
It took a very, very good save by Kipper.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

kimmo shouldve one timed it if you look he dekes it one time going forehand-backhand, then forehand for the shot.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
No one knows that rule because it doesn't ****ing exist. There is no rule against blocking the goaltender's vision, and there are even people who have made a living off of screening goaltenders. Standing in front of the goaltender is nothing but blocking vision and distracting the goaltender. Nobody's ever been called on something like that alone, nor do I see a reason why anybody should.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:19 PM
CavemanLawyer

Ugh this sounds horrible to someone who hasn't watched the game. Gist of it is, from reading here and the presser - Pronger gets slashed, quick wave of his hand in Kips grill, 5 seconds later Flyers score, refs call penalty on something weak that happened 5 seconds ago? I really hope it looks better than how it sounds, or that's just down right horrid.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Ugh this sounds horrible to someone who hasn't watched the game. Gist of it is, from reading here and the presser - Pronger gets slashed, quick wave of his hand in Kips grill, 5 seconds later Flyers score, refs call penalty on something weak that happened 5 seconds ago? I really hope it looks better than how it sounds, or that's just down right horrid.
The wave of the hand came before the slash/poke/whatever by Kipper. Then the goal is scored. Then the penalty is called and the goal is waved off.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
No one knows that rule because it doesn't ****ing exist. There is no rule against blocking the goaltender's vision, and there are even people who have made a living off of screening goaltenders. Standing in front of the goaltender is nothing but blocking vision and distracting the goaltender. Nobody's ever been called on something like that alone, nor do I see a reason why anybody should.
The Avery rule was put in for that, but the rule itself is discretionary/undefined. It's like when someone plays the "I'm not touching you" game.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
ugiswrong

Again, it was a good call. The wording of the rule might need to be updated to have the Pronger clause to the Avery rule but the refs interpreted it correctly in the spirit of the Avery rule.

The NHL doesn't, and I don't, want a league where people are screening the goalies with their hands. It's bogus. Yeah a literal reading of the rule and application to what Pronger was doing does not result in a penalty being called, however, the refs are there to interpret and apply, not just apply, and the correct interpretation was made tonight.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I agree that it smells bad, kind of like the "process of the catch rule." It's there for what Pronger was doing.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

how can you say it was in the spirit of the avery rule when the officials union clearly went over and over the issue of premeditation? this is no where near what avery did this wasnt a blatant disregard of blocking like avery did. i challange you to look at that the whole time he was infront of the net. is using our biggest guy infront of the net now illegal? is that really the spirit of the rule?

ludicrous. every official has seen what avery did to brodeur. you cannot tell me that these officials are that stupid to the point they could interpet pronger play in the same context.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:33 PM
mm6492

Quote:
We do know the rule. They got it wrong. It is pretty simple to be honest.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:34 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
I agree that it smells bad, kind of like the "process of the catch rule." It's there for what Pronger was doing.
at what point was pronger facing kipper and intently blocking his vision?

Old
11-26-2010, 04:36 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Again, it was a good call. The wording of the rule might need to be updated to have the Pronger clause to the Avery rule but the refs interpreted it correctly in the spirit of the Avery rule.

The NHL doesn't, and I don't, want a league where people are screening the goalies with their hands. It's bogus. Yeah a literal reading of the rule and application to what Pronger was doing does not result in a penalty being called, however, the refs are there to interpret and apply, not just apply, and the correct interpretation was made tonight.
You ar incorrect on the account that Flyers had a possesion and, if indeed, that had been a penalty- the whistle should have been blown right away.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Those callining it the right call:
1 - Looked like he was directing traffic
2 - forget that, why is the whistle not blown right away? The goal was a good 2 seconds after the "infraction"

Sorry, that's nowhere near the Avery rule

And timonen, just shoot. Right away. Frustrating "loss"

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Beer league.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
at what point was pronger facing kipper and intently blocking his vision?
Because it's under discretion as is any unsportsmanlike conduct rule. He was overly blocking his vision by being a distraction. It was a reactionary call, no less, but if doing it was allowed, how come no one else ever does it? The Avery Rule itself is not even in the rulebook, because it was an edict from the Man.

This is what I refer to as it being undefined:

75.1 Unsportsmanlike Conduct Players, goalkeepers and non-playing Club personnel are responsible for their conduct at all times and must endeavor to prevent disorderly conduct before, during or after the game, on or off the ice and any place in the rink. The Referees may assess penalties to any of the above team personnel for failure to do so.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1946
Kuklas has the video(s) up (the play and the post-game comments):

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:42 PM