HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#24: Flames @ Flyers - Friday, Nov. 26, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2010, 04:03 PM
  #601
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
where can you find Pronger's presser?
It will be on the official website in a few hours.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
  #602
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
MassiveHosen does suck as a ref, but I beleive it was Herbert who made the call. He is a bad ref. Saw plenty of him in the AHL.
Ah, thanks. Still hate him either way. Never gonna forgive him for that call on Biron.

Finished going through the highlights and got a couple thoughts on Bobrovsky. Not happy with the goals he gave up. The SO winner seemed a bit weak and the two he gave up in regulation he was cleanly beat on to the top of the left pad. Granted, one was an excellent shot and the other was SH, but still. Looks like he posted good stats, but I'm not thrilled with the goals he gave up. Seems like he got outplayed by Kipper today.

What's really amazing about Bobrovsky to me though is how well he can do the splits. He's able to go post-to-post and leave little to no five-hole room just by doing the splits. That's impressive. Never see too many guys being able to do that with such regularity.

Where can I see Giroux's SO goal? I heard it was good and his SO attempts are always something. For w/e reason the highlights on NHL.com don't show the whole SO (just the winner) and you can't view them in the box-score like you can the regulation goals. It would be nice if I could see Richards' and Briere's attempts as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
  #603
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,571
vCash: 505
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
  #604
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,175
vCash: 500
Anyways, it could always be worse. We could be shutout by the Islanders.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
  #605
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,425
vCash: 1946
Post-game quotes up:

http://www.csnphilly.com/11/26/10/Fl...095&feedID=695

Quote:
Still, it was a brutal call on Pronger.

“I’m not going to get into ‘he said,’ ‘she said’ with the refs. I’m the he,” Pronger began.

“The puck went into the net and that [wave] was five seconds before the puck went into the net. I wasn’t turned around at him, waving in his face. I was right here, put my arm out and put my arm back on my stick and the puck went into the net.”

Shouldn’t it have been a penalty against Kipper before the hand wave?

“That’s for you to decide,” Pronger replied.

The Philadelphia chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association asked for an explanation from the officials. No comment.

“Because they know they screwed up, that’s why,” Pronger said when he heard the officials would not explain themselves.

Kipper saw it differently. Well, a little.

“Maybe the call was a little bit late, but I know the referee saw it,” he said. “It was a good call. He’s a big guy and it’s hard to try and find the puck behind him, but I think it was the right call.”

All this aside, the Flyers were outplayed by a Calgary team that had lost three straight.

“We didn’t play our best game or to the level we can play … We didn’t get that next goal to win the game,” Pronger said.

Worse, the Flyers power play went 0-for-6 and is now one-for-its-last -32. No excuses for that, either.

“I guess it’s cooled off,” Pronger said of the powerless play.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
  #606
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
regarless of the refs. How does kimmo not score in OT. He should be ashamed of himself

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
  #607
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.
Kipper wasn't ready for the goal because he was too busy sticking the back of Pronger's knee at the time. It had nothing to do with Pronger's arm (and his hand was back on his stick when the shot was made).

I just hope this point means absolutely nothing at the end of the regular season.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
  #608
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.
you are wrong. the rule explicitly states you have to be facing the goalie not have your back to him

Rule 75 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct: "An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
  #609
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
regarless of the refs. How does kimmo not score in OT. He should be ashamed of himself
It took a very, very good save by Kipper.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
  #610
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
kimmo shouldve one timed it if you look he dekes it one time going forehand-backhand, then forehand for the shot.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:16 PM
  #611
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.
No one knows that rule because it doesn't ****ing exist. There is no rule against blocking the goaltender's vision, and there are even people who have made a living off of screening goaltenders. Standing in front of the goaltender is nothing but blocking vision and distracting the goaltender. Nobody's ever been called on something like that alone, nor do I see a reason why anybody should.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:19 PM
  #612
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Ugh this sounds horrible to someone who hasn't watched the game. Gist of it is, from reading here and the presser - Pronger gets slashed, quick wave of his hand in Kips grill, 5 seconds later Flyers score, refs call penalty on something weak that happened 5 seconds ago? I really hope it looks better than how it sounds, or that's just down right horrid.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:21 PM
  #613
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Ugh this sounds horrible to someone who hasn't watched the game. Gist of it is, from reading here and the presser - Pronger gets slashed, quick wave of his hand in Kips grill, 5 seconds later Flyers score, refs call penalty on something weak that happened 5 seconds ago? I really hope it looks better than how it sounds, or that's just down right horrid.
The wave of the hand came before the slash/poke/whatever by Kipper. Then the goal is scored. Then the penalty is called and the goal is waved off.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:23 PM
  #614
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,571
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
No one knows that rule because it doesn't ****ing exist. There is no rule against blocking the goaltender's vision, and there are even people who have made a living off of screening goaltenders. Standing in front of the goaltender is nothing but blocking vision and distracting the goaltender. Nobody's ever been called on something like that alone, nor do I see a reason why anybody should.
The Avery rule was put in for that, but the rule itself is discretionary/undefined. It's like when someone plays the "I'm not touching you" game.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
  #615
ugiswrong
Registered User
 
ugiswrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: deutschland
Country: United States
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Again, it was a good call. The wording of the rule might need to be updated to have the Pronger clause to the Avery rule but the refs interpreted it correctly in the spirit of the Avery rule.

The NHL doesn't, and I don't, want a league where people are screening the goalies with their hands. It's bogus. Yeah a literal reading of the rule and application to what Pronger was doing does not result in a penalty being called, however, the refs are there to interpret and apply, not just apply, and the correct interpretation was made tonight.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
  #616
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,571
vCash: 505
I agree that it smells bad, kind of like the "process of the catch rule." It's there for what Pronger was doing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
  #617
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
how can you say it was in the spirit of the avery rule when the officials union clearly went over and over the issue of premeditation? this is no where near what avery did this wasnt a blatant disregard of blocking like avery did. i challange you to look at that the whole time he was infront of the net. is using our biggest guy infront of the net now illegal? is that really the spirit of the rule?


ludicrous. every official has seen what avery did to brodeur. you cannot tell me that these officials are that stupid to the point they could interpet pronger play in the same context.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:33 PM
  #618
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What was Pronger's reasoning? I figured he's say that he was pointing or something. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion here, but the ref got it right. Can't distract the goalie like that. No one knows the rule because no one ever does it.
We do know the rule. They got it wrong. It is pretty simple to be honest.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:34 PM
  #619
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I agree that it smells bad, kind of like the "process of the catch rule." It's there for what Pronger was doing.
at what point was pronger facing kipper and intently blocking his vision?

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:36 PM
  #620
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Again, it was a good call. The wording of the rule might need to be updated to have the Pronger clause to the Avery rule but the refs interpreted it correctly in the spirit of the Avery rule.

The NHL doesn't, and I don't, want a league where people are screening the goalies with their hands. It's bogus. Yeah a literal reading of the rule and application to what Pronger was doing does not result in a penalty being called, however, the refs are there to interpret and apply, not just apply, and the correct interpretation was made tonight.
You ar incorrect on the account that Flyers had a possesion and, if indeed, that had been a penalty- the whistle should have been blown right away.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:37 PM
  #621
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,200
vCash: 500
Those callining it the right call:
1 - Looked like he was directing traffic
2 - forget that, why is the whistle not blown right away? The goal was a good 2 seconds after the "infraction"

Sorry, that's nowhere near the Avery rule

And timonen, just shoot. Right away. Frustrating "loss"

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
  #622
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,342
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Beer league.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
  #623
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,571
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
at what point was pronger facing kipper and intently blocking his vision?
Because it's under discretion as is any unsportsmanlike conduct rule. He was overly blocking his vision by being a distraction. It was a reactionary call, no less, but if doing it was allowed, how come no one else ever does it? The Avery Rule itself is not even in the rulebook, because it was an edict from the Man.

This is what I refer to as it being undefined:

75.1 Unsportsmanlike Conduct Players, goalkeepers and non-playing Club personnel are responsible for their conduct at all times and must endeavor to prevent disorderly conduct before, during or after the game, on or off the ice and any place in the rink. The Referees may assess penalties to any of the above team personnel for failure to do so.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
  #624
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,425
vCash: 1946
Kuklas has the video(s) up (the play and the post-game comments):

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:42 PM
  #625
PhillyFan4Ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
lol amazing.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.