HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muller takes Gomez aside, Martin happy about Eller's play

Old
11-25-2010, 10:22 AM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Muller takes Gomez aside, Martin happy about Eller's play

Great article about Gomez and Eller .. a couple of quotes below the link:

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

1)
Kirkie grabbed me the other day, we had a long talk and he showed me what I was doing. There's no question I was cheating, I was getting away from the puck.

2)
But Michael Cammalleri was extremely impressed with how Gomez immediately owned up to the officials about the scoring error, particularly with the criticism that's been raining down on him unabated over the past few days.

"I said to him, ‘Take it.' But it shows the class of Scott," Cammalleri said. "The goals haven't come easily for him this year and he's being scrutinized for it, yet he came off the ice right away and said, ‘Hey, I didn't touch it. It's your goal.' It shows a pretty classy guy. A lot of people in that situation wouldn't say that."

3) "It's nice to see Lars getting rewarded with a goal. He's had several good opportunities so far to get a goal," Martin said. "But his entire play has been improving from game to game, he's really reliable defensively, he battles for pucks, he goes to the net. That should take a load off his shoulder s and he can keep improving his play.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

1)
Kirkie grabbed me the other day, we had a long talk and he showed me what I was doing. There's no question I was cheating, I was getting away from the puck.

2)
But Michael Cammalleri was extremely impressed with how Gomez immediately owned up to the officials about the scoring error, particularly with the criticism that's been raining down on him unabated over the past few days.

"I said to him, ‘Take it.' But it shows the class of Scott," Cammalleri said. "The goals haven't come easily for him this year and he's being scrutinized for it, yet he came off the ice right away and said, ‘Hey, I didn't touch it. It's your goal.' It shows a pretty classy guy. A lot of people in that situation wouldn't say that."

3) "It's nice to see Lars getting rewarded with a goal. He's had several good opportunities so far to get a goal," Martin said. "But his entire play has been improving from game to game, he's really reliable defensively, he battles for pucks, he goes to the net. That should take a load off his shoulder s and he can keep improving his play.
This impressed me as well last night. Say what you will about Gomez but he's a team guy. I'm sure he's the first to acknowledge he's having a sub-par season offensively. The most pressure is probably coming from himself.

I really hope he comes around as I think he can really help this team down the stretch and particularly into the playoffs.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I love Kirk Muller, I hope he becomes our next head coach

As for Eller he has been much better lately and a lot more involved during games, I hope Martin can reward him with some PP time, I'd like to see what he can do on the pp. Instead of putting Darche out there and it's not a knock on him, play Eller a little more and give him even more confidence

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Guy Germaine

F Gomez, he makes 75 millions a yera wich is bad for the celery cap. stoopid gainey!

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
whabs

Great article. thx

whabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
F Gomez, he makes 75 millions a yera wich is bad for the celery cap. stoopid gainey!
Celery cap made me lol.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:

1)

2)

That's the best way, as a young player, to ensure that your in Jacques Martin's good graces.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:43 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

I remember Muller having a talk with Lapierre last season when he was struggling

ANd it worked !

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Chiyo
トラ・トラ・トラ

Quote:
So he makes one bad move and you despise him for it?

What about Cammalleri?
What about Gionta?
What about Gill?
What about Pouliot?
What about Gorges?
What about Price?
What about... you think before saying stuff that make you look like a fool?

Chiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:53 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Good for Gomez for finally understanding what he was doing wrong. Hopefully it sticks and he'll keep it up.

I was SO happy for Eller last night. He's been working extremely hard and there's no doubt that his game has improved significantly since the start of the season. I'm also glad that Martin is finally giving him credit... Hopefully he'll reward Eller with more icetime and PP time.

Quote:
F Gomez, he makes 75 millions a yera wich is bad for the celery
cap. stoopid gainey!

11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Hugo Sham

you know lamouriello and his bald head and hard on for all things 'habs' is skulking around till the end of the year - esp if habs have another great year - waiting for muller - like some have posted, would love to see kirk habs head coach in 2 years

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4YO View Post

What about Cammalleri?
What about Gionta?
What about Gill?
What about Pouliot?
What about Gorges?
What about Price?
Pretty sure your sarcasometer is on low. At least I hope so.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Please use the next time as some don't get it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:57 AM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Last year, Gomez began producing at about 20 ish games played. He just has to continue what he did yesterday, that's it. Hope he does it...

And about Eller, it was just a matter of time before he scored at least one. It's not like he had offensive wingers to begin with, but I think it was all part of the plan of JM, learn to play defensively, learn to earn your dues, and that's what he did. Now it'll pay off... I think what I liked the most yesterday, was the reaction of the crowd when he scored, you can see that the fans know he'll be a good one, and the cheers he got when he was named the 2nd star, yeah, great, I think he'll be a loved one in Mtl

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

1)
hmm, it would seem that both the coaching staff and Gomez himself are aware that his struggles were at least in part due to a lack of effort ("there's no question i was cheating")...

amazing that some of the experts around here were so adamant that there was nothing wrong with HOW he was playing... that it was just "bad luck" that caused his lack of production. Looks like the real experts saw a different story.

Let's hope that moving forward he gets held accountable for that (be it demotion to the bottom 6, or even benching), but even more so, let's hope that he's ready to start fixing the problem by working harder.
A player as talented as he is can't produce that poorly if he's giving it a full effort, I hope we see him turn the corner now!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4YO View Post

What about Cammalleri?
What about Gionta?
What about Gill?
What about Pouliot?
What about Gorges?
What about Price?

Oh irony, how I've missed you.

Seriously, the sarcasm reaking off that post was enough to break the sarcasm meter. Twice.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
ya im sure the guy was being sarcastic. ''celery'' cap made me laugh lol

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
gee

Quote:
sorry - i understand this is an esl thing but

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Habs

If Gomez wasn't on a 7 million dollar guaranteed contract, I'm sure he would have taken credit.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Chiyo
トラ・トラ・トラ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
It's actually at OFF
There have been so many Gomez threads these past few weeks, making me sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Oh irony, how I've missed you.

Seriously, the sarcasm reaking off that post was enough to break the sarcasm meter. Twice.
I just woke up, we just beat the Kings and I didn't see it that way
Well I'm friggin sorry then.. like I explained in my previous post, the Gomez threads are annoying

Alright, cappuccino to shake the brain up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
sorry - i understand this is an esl thing but

God damn.. "celery" that gave it away didn't it.... Lulz.

Chiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Darth Joker

That was definitely a classy act by Gomez. At the very least, I'll admit he's a good team guy.

I'm really impressed with Kirk Muller. There's no question in my mind that he's going to be a head coach some day. Right now, he's probably one of the best assistant coaches in the NHL.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
hmm, it would seem that both the coaching staff and Gomez himself are aware that his struggles were at least in part due to a lack of effort ("there's no question i was cheating")...

amazing that some of the experts around here were so adamant that there was nothing wrong with HOW he was playing... that it was just "bad luck" that caused his lack of production. Looks like the real experts saw a different story.

Let's hope that moving forward he gets held accountable for that (be it demotion to the bottom 6, or even benching), but even more so, let's hope that he's ready to start fixing the problem by working harder.
A player as talented as he is can't produce that poorly if he's giving it a full effort, I hope we see him turn the corner now!
By cheating I think they mean getting in bad habits as in being too predictable on the zone enties and not getting the puck to the net, looking for the perfect play too often.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:35 AM
neofury*

In Gomez defense he played a solid game. Things I noticed Gomez do yesterday. (I noticed because the plays were good)

1) Beating Kopitar clean on a face off.
2) Keeping the puck in which led to a goal (wasn't just an easy keep in either, he got it in mid air)
3) Standing in the right place when Cammy took the shot. If Scott does this more often he'll not only get points but + rating as well. He did a fairly good job imo.

Last night was Gomez best game of the season thus far. I know it doesn't show on the stats sheet really and I know that of course the entire team played well it was a team effort above all else however for once I found Scott played his game and showed confidence on the ice. For the last 5 games or so he's really lacked said confidence imo.

He really needs to turn it around because as you can see when Gomez plays good everything starts to flow.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:41 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
That was definitely a classy act by Gomez. At the very least, I'll admit he's a good team guy.

I'm really impressed with Kirk Muller. There's no question in my mind that he's going to be a head coach some day. Right now, he's probably one of the best assistant coaches in the NHL.
When you think about it whose a better assistant coach? Which team has a more solid assistant coach than Muller? Maybe some have a bit more experience I suppose but Muller has been getting results with us even since the Carb days. There's a reason he's still around.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
By cheating I think they mean getting in bad habits as in being too predictable on the zone enties and not getting the puck to the net, looking for the perfect play too often.
"There's no question I was cheating, I was getting away from the puck."

i'm not a hockey expert, but I wouldn't equate "getting away from the puck" to zone entries (with the puck), putting the puck on net, or making plays with the puck...

i understood that more as not being active enough in puck pursuit (be it in the corners, or going to the net without the puck)...

would "cheating" really be related to trying to make the perfect play? sounds to me more like something equated to making the easy play (getting rid of the puck to soon or throwing high risk passes to avoid getting hit/having to dump and chase).

i wonder if anyone around here is an active hockey coach at a high level who might be able to shed some more light on what should be interpreted by his comments?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote