HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muller takes Gomez aside, Martin happy about Eller's play

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2010, 12:16 PM
  #26
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,000
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I love Kirk Muller, I hope he becomes our next head coach

As for Eller he has been much better lately and a lot more involved during games, I hope Martin can reward him with some PP time, I'd like to see what he can do on the pp. Instead of putting Darche out there and it's not a knock on him, play Eller a little more and give him even more confidence
Darche goes to the net. Eller does too, but that's why Darche is on the pp.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
  #27
ngc_5128
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Fredericton, NB
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
"There's no question I was cheating, I was getting away from the puck."

i'm not a hockey expert, but I wouldn't equate "getting away from the puck" to zone entries (with the puck), putting the puck on net, or making plays with the puck...

i understood that more as not being active enough in puck pursuit (be it in the corners, or going to the net without the puck)...

would "cheating" really be related to trying to make the perfect play? sounds to me more like something equated to making the easy play (getting rid of the puck to soon or throwing high risk passes to avoid getting hit/having to dump and chase).

i wonder if anyone around here is an active hockey coach at a high level who might be able to shed some more light on what should be interpreted by his comments?
I'm not a coach, but when I read he was "cheating", I thought it was most evident in his defensive coverage, he would position himself away from the play and be where he thought the puck would be, but since he was doing this from the get-go the guy he was covering would be able to react and make a better decision. Game after game, Gomez was five feet away from every play and would shake his head when his man would move the puck in the opposite direction. When you are playing well you can do this because your timing lets you wait for the last possible second, but Gomez was doing it way too early and giving his man way too much time to read the play.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:04 PM
  #28
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,296
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Darche goes to the net. Eller does too, but that's why Darche is on the pp.
Like I said it's not a knock against Darche I think he is doing pretty well, but Eller has a great vision and can dish the puck really well and I wish he would reward him with some pp time.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:09 PM
  #29
phoque taupe
Registered User
 
phoque taupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 152
Darche has more NHL time than Eller.
Its all about respect!


Seriously, Eller is doing well on a 8-9min learning curve.
I guess in the 2nd half of the season he will get TOI

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 01:09 PM
  #30
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Like I said it's not a knock against Darche I think he is doing pretty well, but Eller has a great vision and can dish the puck really well and I wish he would reward him with some pp time.
From TSN's Cullen fantasy guy, he gives out 1/4 season awards and gives other info, found this bit interesting on Darche


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=342828

Digging in, just a little for some deeper stats from the always awesome www.behindthenet.ca:

First, the best goal differentials (5-on-5, per 60 minutes, minimum 12 games played):

RANK PLAYER POS TEAM GOAL DIFF./60
1. Mathieu Darche LW Montreal 2.96
2. Scott Hartnell RW Philadelphia 2.60
3. Danny Briere C Philadelphia 2.60
4. Sean O'Donnell D Philadelphia 2.56
5. Kevin Porter C Colorado 2.54
6. Alexandre Picard D Montreal 2.51
7. Milan Lucic LW Boston 2.45
8. Andreas Nodl RW Philadelphia 2.45
9. Steve Montador D Buffalo 2.45
10. Andrej Meszaros D Philadelphia 2.40

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 02:31 PM
  #31
andrew2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
I think when gomez talks about cheating its referring to his fore checking, back checking and overall defensive play.

In a habs game not too long ago pierre mcguire said gomez and gionta are only effective when they are causing turnovers and it just wasn't happening.

Hopefully gomez ads a bit of aggressiveness to his play,(like last night)... If he does that the turnovers will come and hopefully his line will start contributing more.

andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 03:26 PM
  #32
Canadiens93
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
I also really liked the game Gomez played last night. Although still probably not worth the 8 million we're paying him this year at least he's being more effective and im sure the scoring will come. Muller is a great details guy and I'm sure he does more work with the forwards individually than we will ever know. I'd also like to see him take over as head coach one day, but right now I'm pretty impressed the way they are executing Martin's system just about every game. I can't remember the last time we've had this much support in our own end and kept the bulk of shots outside of scoring areas. As for Eller it looks like he improves with every game. I didn't really like the move by Martin to start him on the top line against the Leafs on opening night because he obviously wasn't ready for it. Best case scenario I think we can hope that he develops much the same way Plekanec did learning gradually how to play on both sides of the puck and maybe he can be one of our best forwards in a few years.

Canadiens93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 03:48 PM
  #33
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I love Kirk Muller, I hope he becomes our next head coach

As for Eller he has been much better lately and a lot more involved during games, I hope Martin can reward him with some PP time, I'd like to see what he can do on the pp. Instead of putting Darche out there and it's not a knock on him, play Eller a little more and give him even more confidence
Head coach =/= Assistant Coach.

Muller seems to be a great assistant coach, but it's unknown how he would fair off as a Head Coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
"There's no question I was cheating, I was getting away from the puck."

i'm not a hockey expert, but I wouldn't equate "getting away from the puck" to zone entries (with the puck), putting the puck on net, or making plays with the puck...

i understood that more as not being active enough in puck pursuit (be it in the corners, or going to the net without the puck)...

would "cheating" really be related to trying to make the perfect play? sounds to me more like something equated to making the easy play (getting rid of the puck to soon or throwing high risk passes to avoid getting hit/having to dump and chase).

i wonder if anyone around here is an active hockey coach at a high level who might be able to shed some more light on what should be interpreted by his comments?
Gomez has never been known to battle hard in the corners or battling hard to go to the front of the net. He's always been a perimeter player. But it's true that he was doing less than he usually did on that front. You barely ever saw him in front of the net all season.
I don't think he was playing any different from his previous years. I don't believe he wasn't working as hard as he always have, but I think he wasn't working as intelligently. That's my opinion of what they meant by cheating.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:11 PM
  #34
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
That's the best way, as a young player, to ensure that your in Jacques Martin's good graces.
was just going to say that lol

we're winning so I can't criticize Martin, but well let's see how Eller develops

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:18 PM
  #35
BlackStar
Registered User
 
BlackStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
was just going to say that lol

we're winning so I can't criticize Martin, but well let's see how Eller develops
You must really hate that huh?

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:22 PM
  #36
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
From TSN's Cullen fantasy guy, he gives out 1/4 season awards and gives other info, found this bit interesting on Darche


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=342828

Digging in, just a little for some deeper stats from the always awesome www.behindthenet.ca:

First, the best goal differentials (5-on-5, per 60 minutes, minimum 12 games played):

RANK PLAYER POS TEAM GOAL DIFF./60
1. Mathieu Darche LW Montreal 2.96
2. Scott Hartnell RW Philadelphia 2.60
3. Danny Briere C Philadelphia 2.60
4. Sean O'Donnell D Philadelphia 2.56
5. Kevin Porter C Colorado 2.54
6. Alexandre Picard D Montreal 2.51
7. Milan Lucic LW Boston 2.45
8. Andreas Nodl RW Philadelphia 2.45
9. Steve Montador D Buffalo 2.45
10. Andrej Meszaros D Philadelphia 2.40
Holy ****!!

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:51 PM
  #37
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,772
vCash: 500
Wow, Gomez's a great guy... give him millions and stop complaining... I heard Steve Begin still isn't signed...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 04:55 PM
  #38
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,658
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Wow, Gomez's a great guy... give him millions and stop complaining... I heard Steve Begin still isn't signed...
You've heard wrong.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.