HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what did Avery do to fall out of favor?

Old
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
storm fan

vCash: 500
what did Avery do to fall out of favor?

Avery is logging less ice time out of everyone but boogard. Why do you think this is?

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It seems like he isn't playing with an edge. Another thing I've noticed, is that he isn't grinding out the play behind the opposition's net as much.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Simply put: playing worse than the rest of the team is.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
asparkoflife

He's not doing much of anything right now. That's why he isn't logging much ice time. I think tonight I heard every player's name used positively except for Avery.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

I think he's been great when he actually gets to play. We're only getting a small sample of him in those few minutes per game. It's kind of ridiculous actually. I know everybody loves Prust now, but Avery is a much better athlete and player and deserves to get his minutes.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Acew61

Seeming lack of "good" edge this year (except devils; whom for some reason haven't figured out to just ignore him) I think. Best he's done other than those games have been his baseball bat slash and the Smid incident; neither of which benefited the team and were beyond the norm for Avery. He's always been a pain in the ass; but he wasn't dirty. The slash was filthy; and the Smid incident, dependent on what the real truth of what was said on the ice, could be (not passing judgement, Smid was asking for it but none of us can know if the oppositions account of what was said is truthful or baloney)

And as a poster above said his game behind the net isn't there this year. He's always made absolutely beautiful passes to the slot from back there, this year it seems like he just gets bogged down behind the net or the D knows its coming and defends it. If he's not bringing that "good" edge nearly as much and is being neutralized by defences that know what's coming when he's back there, then he's bringing nothing to the table.

Disclaimer: I know the slash was the same game gabby got boarded. The game was chippy after that; but the slash was over the top IMO

Last edited by Acew61: 11-22-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: addition
Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Feels a bit like last season... Some stretches of good hockey from Sean but also stretches of him not playing his game... I'm sure at the end of the season there will be a long debate about his year with multiple people blaming Tortorella or the officials for any inconsistency or lack of production on Sean's part.... I'd take him over Prust on our 3rd line but right now Prust is playing good hockey and there's no justification for taking him off that 3rd line while he's doing that....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:42 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Not a fan of anything Avery does "behind the net". The reason it's Gretzky's house make it admirable - what Avery does behind there is far from admirable.

Stuffing it in from every angle constitutes no basis that can even be justified as the least bit skilled. That's all Avery does is "stuff it in", "wraparound", "jam it home"... call it whatever you want.

It's what teams without talented players do. That's why we see it often.

I think I see my 15-year old brother's hockey team attempt less wrap arounds and stuff ins then these New York Rangers. Never have I seen a professional hockey team deem so low and be so desperate to score a goal. This is why Avery isn't playing. No agitation. No skill. No playing time.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:47 PM
OverTheCap

I'm an Avery fan and I think he's been kind of "meh" since the Edmonton game.

It's as if once the media blows up an incident that he's involved in, he tones it back too much and loses that edge. Can't say I blame him, though, it's a no win situation for him. The guy constantly gets buried for doing things that other players would get away with. It was absurd how Milbury and others were trying to place most of the blame on Avery for Wiz's gesture.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Nothing. And thats kind of the point. He hasnt done jack ****. On pace for 4 goals.

Plus he doesnt even try to make plays any more. Just shoots from the off angle every time.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Whatever he's sucking if he wants more minutes he will step it up. Not really a problem for the team at the moment.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
satrabyk

WTF do you guys want from him. When he plays on the edge he gets in trouble with Mr dictator Torts who demands disciplined hockey out of Avery and not ruin his ideal image. So Avery has done that, and what does he get, less ice time for doing exactly what the coach implies or asks of him and even more. If people cant see that i dont know what too tell you.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Rangers44*

Being stuck on a 4th line with Boogaard really sucks. If Avery is on pace for 4 goals, the Prust is on pace for zero. And Prust is getting a ton of icetime.

Avery should at least be used on the PK.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
XLJ

He isn't playing with much right now. Avery is not capable of creating his own offense. He needs to crash the net, screen the goalie, work from behind the net and along the boards in the offensive zone. You saw that this season when he was playing with two capable linemates in Fedotenko & Stepan. Right now he has Boogaard or White on his line. Boogaard cant even dump the puck in offensive zone. Seriously you are playing a man down with Boogy on the line. With limited minutes Avery wont be doing much.

I expect his play to improve when Drury comes back. Because he will get a more capable linemate to play with it. Because someone from the third line will get moved to the 4th or Drury might be on the 4th line.

Personally I would send White to hartford and call up Weise now that he is healthy. They dont need to dress Boogaard every game. Play him with Avery maybe they can get a good energy type line going.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
WTF do you guys want from him. When he plays on the edge he gets in trouble with Mr dictator Torts who demands disciplined hockey out of Avery and not ruin his ideal image. So Avery has done that, and what does he get, less ice time for doing exactly what the coach implies or asks of him and even more. If people cant see that i dont know what too tell you.
This isn't true. Torts has always talked about keeping Avery on the edge without going over it. He has a baseball swing slash and then the Smid incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
Being stuck on a 4th line with Boogaard really sucks. If Avery is on pace for 4 goals, the Prust is on pace for zero. And Prust is getting a ton of icetime.

Avery should at least be used on the PK.
Avery has done nothing to be rewarded by moving up in lines. Prust is visible EVERY shift he's on the ice. Forechecking, making plays, blocking shots, etc. I've seen little to none of that from Avery, even before the demotion.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:22 PM
lbrowne

By no means am I comparing myself to Avery but I'm the same way when it comes to playing, I can compliment a line but can't make a line on my own. Put me with lesser skilled linemates, (which wouldn't be hard lol) and I can't make that line effective for the most part.

He needs to be playing with Feds/Dubi/Cally etc type players to be real effective.

Any time out there with the Boogeyman as a linemate is a waste of resources with Avery.

It'll come around.

Call me retarded but I'd like to see him with Gabby with the way he can setup behind the net and muck in the corners, and Stepan as center. Gabby is fast enough that maybe Avery won't go offsides

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I have hardly noticed Avery this season. Dude just hasn't been that good this year. Hasn't even played like an agitator either.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
Call me retarded but I'd like to see him with Gabby with the way he can setup behind the net and muck in the corners, and Stepan as center. Gabby is fast enough that maybe Avery won't go offsides
I agree.

I actually want to see Avery with Gaborik and Drury on the power play. Aves can set up both of them from behind the net. That, in general, is the part of his game that needs to wake up - making plays from that area.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
BrandNewDream

He's been flat out terrible. There's a good reason as to why there was a large discussion whether he even fit on the team this year.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Kind of Blue

If you'll recall, he actually started the season quite well. His dip in form followed his reduction of minutes, as opposed to a dip in form causing or warranting a reduction of minutes. You can make an argument about whether him responding that way is right or wrong, but that's a separate argument. The thing is, Avery needs to feel important and engaged to play his game. I don't think there's any question you're seeing an unhappy Avery. Frankly, I can see where he's coming from. As I said, he started the season really well, and his reduction of minutes was unwarranted; whereas he probably initially thought things would be different this year, now he's probably thinking, here we go again.

Last edited by Kind of Blue: 11-22-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
The Mouth

Prust is outplaying him. if he plays better he will get moved up. simple as that.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
He's been flat out terrible. There's a good reason as to why there was a large discussion whether he even fit on the team this year.
I wouldn't go as far to say he has been terrible. But he hasn't been anything special.

IMO he isn't detrimental to the team and creates quality chances for a fourth line player.

Everyone on this team who has been getting more ice time than him has deserved it.

Honestly, as long as the Rangers continue playing this way I don't care who plays where. I saw someone post in another thread that Torts can play goalie and Biron can coach as long as they win and i share the same thoughts.

Whatever is best for the team. No individual is above the team ever.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 12:07 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
If you'll recall, he actually started the season quite well. His dip in form followed his reduction of minutes, as opposed to a dip in form causing or warranting a reduction of minutes. You can make an argument about whether him responding that way is right or wrong, but that's a separate argument. The thing is, Avery needs to feel important and engaged to play his game. I don't think there's any question you're seeing an unhappy Avery. Frankly, I can see where he's coming from. As I said, he started the season really well, and his reduction of minutes was unwarranted; whereas he probably initially thought things would be different this year, now he's probably thinking, here we go again.
I totally agree, giving him 4th line minutes will not get you the results you want out of him. The more plays and scrums he gets into, the more involed in the game he becomes - thus agitating.

Kinda like how people say EC as anything but a first or second line center completely makes him useless.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 06:52 AM
truebluegoalie

I think a lot of it has to do with his game. Lets face it, this is exactly what the NHL wanted, they wanted him to get 4th line ice time and to eventually leave the game. That is why he gets called for everything and players are allowed to do pretty much whatever they want to him.
He is an agitator and it is tough to play your game when you can't agitate without getting ridiculous calls against while other players consistently hack at you with no calls.

Its the pathetic Avery double standard that we have seen since he came back. And you can't tell me that hasn't affected how he plays.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Miller Time NYR
Never go full torts.

First 5 games or so he was doing pretty good, working the puck behind the net, setting guys up with nice passes. Since Edmonton he fallen off the earth not doin anything that warrants more icetime, not being an agitator, semi playmaker, playing the boards nothing he's just been ******. I think he's just caught between playing as an agitator an playing an offensive game. As much as I agree prust is a 4th liner he's beat avert for that spot plain and simple prust has been valuable Avery not so much. And is it me or has he turned down every fight I've seen anyone try to start with him since edmonton? I very much look forward to January 7th in Dallas

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote