HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Starting out coaching

Old
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
MeltingPlastic

vCash: 500
Starting out coaching

So I've wanted to start coaching for a while now. I recently moved outside of Philadelphia (grew up in North Jersey) and have a lot of free time so I figured why not help grow the game I loved playing as a kid.

What do people have for advice to get into coaching? I have already taken the Level 1 cert for USA Hockey and plan to continue taking all the levels needed. I've contacted a few HS teams looking for coaches(specifically spelling out that I'd like to be an assistant or even help out just to get my foot in the door) but because I've never coached none were interested.

What is the best way to start getting into coaching? If I still lived in North Jersey I would have no problems helping out some of my old coaches (travel/high school/etc) and get in that way but being out here on my own, its a bit tough. Seems most of the time, its parent's coaching their kids teams etc and as a 28 year old with no kids, I don't have a direct contact there.

For those of you who've coached, how did you get involved in whatever organization you are part of?

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
bonnielad

Find a YMCA sponsored rink with in-house kids - kids learning to skate. that gets your foot in the door

bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
newfr4u

high school is a little high to come in in the beginning, unless you are coming in with good experience as a player (at least high school). most coaches will not be interested, and for good reason. you best bet is to start out much lower, think mites and squirts, rather than where it gets competitive like bantam and high-school. gives you a chance to just teach the very basic skills, build rapport with the kids. in a few years, you might have a chance to coach the same kids at a higher level, i.e. grow with them.

i started out pretty much like you, hoping to progress to high school level in a couple of years.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 01:57 PM
fryer98

Check local school team's websites for a contact and email them a resume. It seems like every school is looking for assn't coaches for middle school and JV levels every year, even varsity a lot.

Also, check your local league sites, they usually have places for teams to post coaching openings.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:56 AM
MeltingPlastic

Thanks for the responses guys.

As a player, i've played up to Midgets Major A/AA and as well played Varsity for my High School team which at one point was a top contender. I was alternate or captain for every team I played on since I was a Bantam so I know many coaches have seen my leadership skills.

As per the younger ages, I have no problems with helping out with younger players as I have been helping out my nephews back home whenever I'm there and before I left. Unfortunately my style of play was always hard hitting stay at home defense, which doesn't necessarily translate well in the lower levels that don't allow hitting, hence my want to coach Bantam, Midget, JV or Varsity programs but I just really want to coach so I'm happy with anything really.

I remember when I was younger all the open positions being listed in local newspapers do schools still do this? Or is there a better place to find openings.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Cowbell232

Your best bet is go find the manager of the local house leagues and offer to volunteer your services. Most schools are paid spots, so they're loathe to add people or swap out people, etc. Start at the bottom and move up. Do weekend clinics that no one else wants, that kind of thing and you'll be coaching a team in a few months I bet.

02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
pelts35.com

There are plenty of rinks in the area that be happy to have volunteer coaches. With the season winding down it wouldn't be a bad idea to contact local rinks for next season.

Where in Philadelphia are you?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Pcmm

Enthusiasum makes up for alot of things. My kids house leaque was soo short of coaches that they put out a general call to all the parents of regestered kids. Now until this year I'd never coached a single thing, let alone played any organized hockey! I signed up to asst coach, just needed my Respect in Sport Cert and that's it. The head coach on my team already had both his coaching Cert and the Trainers Cert, so that meant the ASST coaches needed minimal training to get going.

If you know the game then you're already in a goodplace. just share your love for the sport, keep things positive and fun and it'll be a great time for all.

Pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
MeltingPlastic

Pelts im in west chester so im close to ice line, oaks, power play, ice works etc.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:08 AM

If you're ever back in NJ Floyd and the Ice House are always looking for people.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
deeman

Just a thought from an entrepreneurs angle. Why not consider holding a mini-clinic or clinics? Post a slick, color flyer in the local rinks with 1 or 2 classes. Detail what you’ll cover and who your target audience is (adults / kids or both).

See if you can place a hold on some ice and if you get enough participants you book it if not you bail. Clinics are pretty hard to come by here in SE Michigan and I would be in favor of attending one if it’s not during the day 8am to 4pm. Just a thought.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote