HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

IAN COLE to New Jersey

Old
11-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Thekidline

vCash: 500
IAN COLE to New Jersey

I don't think a trade of Ian Cole is very likely but the blues are loaded with young defenseman, new jersey could use a talented two way guy.

What do you think?

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:42 PM
frankielax

Really the only way I wanna see Ian Cole in New Jersey is if he is part of a package that brings back Parise or Zajac. Seeing as this is highly unlikely, we should keep him.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankielax View Post
Really the only way I wanna see Ian Cole in New Jersey is if he is part of a package that brings back Parise or Zajac. Seeing as this is highly unlikely, we should keep him.
I see your point, I'm just wondering how Cole fits in the lineup next year if (he probably will be) is with the blues. I think of the blues top prospects (Petro, tarasenko, schwatz, Cole) he is the most expendable. If the blues decide to make a trade.

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

what do the blues need? the only way i could see it happening is as a prospect swap.

Zubrus Coffee Maker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:07 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhark Attack View Post
what do the blues need? the only way i could see it happening is as a prospect swap.
Could take Langenbrunner or have Salvador back.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:07 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhark Attack View Post
The Blues don't really need anything honestly...they have young quality and depth at pretty much every position. Any team could always use another top tier talent, but those aren't the types of prospects who would be considered tradeable.

Cole will probably replace Brewer, and he'll almost certainly be playing full time in the NHL next year. There's capable defensive depth behind him on both the left and right sides, and some higher upside talent a few years away. The have a talented young NHL core in Johnson, Pietrangelo, and Polak to build around.

On the forward side of things, Tarasenko looks to be a high upside guy who looks like he will step in to the NHL next year. Schwartz is also very talented, but he's a couple of years away probably. I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually replace McDonald and perhaps Boyes when those contracts run out. They have good young NHL talent in Berglund, Oshie, and Perron.

In the net, the Blues are set for awhile with Halak. Bishop and Allen are in the farm system behind him, and both are playing very well in the AHL.

Cole's a piece that plays a complete game, has the ability to be an above average defenseman, who's ready to step into the NHL, and who's poised to fill an impending team vacancy. I doubt there's anything that New Jersey would be willing to offer (from a prospect perspective) that would make it worth for the Blues to move him.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankielax View Post
Parise or Zajac? Lol, gotta love high expectations.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Csonked Out

vCash: 674
to NJD:

Ian Cole

To St. Louis:

Jamie Langebrunner
mid round pick

This is about the most I could see the Devils giving up to get him. The Blues could use a top 6 scorer and Langs could fit that bill.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:01 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
to NJD:

Ian Cole

To St. Louis:

Jamie Langebrunner
mid round pick

This is about the most I could see the Devils giving up to get him. The Blues could use a top 6 scorer and Langs could fit that bill.
If this deal was made at the deadline, I'm not sure the midround pick is necessary.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
If this deal was made at the deadline, I'm not sure the midround pick is necessary.
Yeah it depends on the standings for both teams, it would be a good pick up for us though

Old
11-25-2010, 08:16 PM
flieg44

Yeah the Blues are going to trade 2007 18th Overall Pick Ian Cole to the Devils for 35 year old Jamie Langenbrunner who is going to be an UFA! Are you for real????

flieg44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieg44 View Post
Yeah the Blues are going to trade 2007 18th Overall Pick Ian Cole to the Devils for 35 year old Jamie Langenbrunner who is going to be an UFA! Are you for real????
yea, a player who will not help your team at all his year, for a veteran who still puts up points that could help you for a playoff run. What was he thinking..........

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
yea, a player who will not help your team at all his year, for a veteran who still puts up points that could help you for a playoff run. What was he thinking..........
Dangit you beat me to it....I tell you what, we will throw in Rolston just because i'm in the giving mood tonight. In all honesty though, this would only go down if the Devils were out of the picture and the Blues were preparing for a deep playoff run.

Old
11-25-2010, 08:23 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Jamie Langenbrunner has more leadership and playoff experience in his left testicle than the entire St. Louis Blues roster combined.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:35 PM
apice3*

Quote:
The Dallas Stars traded the 11th overall pick of 95 (Jarome Iginla) to the Flames for Joe Nieuwendyk. Sure Iginla would go on to be the better player, but the Stars got an eventual Cup out of it. Point being, if the Blues think they can win the Cup THIS YEAR by trading a 100% unproven prospect for a top 6 forward, I don't see why they'd pass on this deal.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
flieg44

Quote:
The Dallas Stars traded the 11th overall pick of 95 (Jarome Iginla) to the Flames for Joe Nieuwendyk. Sure Iginla would go on to be the better player, but the Stars got an eventual Cup out of it. Point being, if the Blues think they can win the Cup THIS YEAR by trading a 100% unproven prospect for a top 6 forward, I don't see why they'd pass on this deal.
Joe Nieuwendyk was 30 years old and in his prime when that trade went down, he just came off a season netting 50 points in 46 games! I don't care how much leadership qualities a guy has a responsible GM doesn't trade a blue chip prospect for a upcoming 35 year old UFA who will most likely be retired in two years. Sorry, doesn't happen.

flieg44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:20 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
to NJD:

Ian Cole

To St. Louis:

Jamie Langebrunner
mid round pick

St Louis would laugh at this

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
St Louis would laugh at this
How much are you expecting to get for the kid then? I have it when you get responses like this, but nothing further is added to the conversation. He is exactly the type of prospect you trade at the deadline for a playoff run. The only way you will get more than this is if you include him in some sort of package ala Bergfors.

Old
11-25-2010, 09:28 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
comparing a 29 year old Joe Nieuwendyk to a 35 year old Langenbrunner?
Brun wouldn't fit in a healthy St. Louis' top 6.

Honestly I don't see Jersey as a good trading partner. But in the conditions above and St. Louis wants to add some forward depth with good playoff experience I'd offer a midround pick/prospect at the deadline.

Last edited by WalterSobchak: 11-25-2010 at 09:43 PM.
WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
How much are you expecting to get for the kid then? I have it when you get responses like this, but nothing further is added to the conversation. He is exactly the type of prospect you trade at the deadline for a playoff run. The only way you will get more than this is if you include him in some sort of package ala Bergfors.
Im not expecting the world for the kid, i was simply implying that the Blues would have no interest in Langenbrunner, they are at least a year away from a serious cup run.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:04 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
comparing a 29 year old Joe Nieuwendyk to a 35 year old Langenbrunner?
Brun wouldn't fit in a healthy St. Louis' top 6.

Honestly I don't see Jersey as a good trading partner. But in the conditions above and St. Louis wants to add some forward depth with good playoff experience I'd offer a midround pick/prospect at the deadline.
I was merely stating a situational comparison. My point was that if a player can help the team win a Cup, then trading prospects should be done. Like I said, Iginla ended up being better than Nieuwendyk, but I highly doubt either team regrets the trade. If the Blues won a Cup this year with Langenbrunner and Ian Cole went on to be Scott Niedermayer, I doubt either team regrets this hypothetical trade either.

Isn't Ian Cole a midlevel prospect? I get that he was the 18th overall pick and all, but from what I read, he's not in the Blues top 5 prospects.

Old
11-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
I was merely stating a situational comparison. My point was that if a player can help the team win a Cup, then trading prospects should be done. Like I said, Iginla ended up being better than Nieuwendyk, but I highly doubt either team regrets the trade. If the Blues won a Cup this year with Langenbrunner and Ian Cole went on to be Scott Niedermayer, I doubt either team regrets this hypothetical trade either.

Isn't Ian Cole a midlevel prospect? I get that he was the 18th overall pick and all, but from what I read, he's not in the Blues top 5 prospects.
I believe he has been passed over by a couple of prospects since being drafted. IMHO if the draft was redone for that year St. Louis would probably have gone in a different direction if they could take a mulligan now. He is still a good prospect but just not what he once was, the most I would give up would be a package of Langs and Eckford.

Old
11-25-2010, 10:32 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I believe he has been passed over by a couple of prospects since being drafted. IMHO if the draft was redone for that year St. Louis would probably have gone in a different direction if they could take a mulligan now. He is still a good prospect but just not what he once was, the most I would give up would be a package of Langs and Eckford.
I just relooked at that draft and is it me or is that one of the worst classes in recent memory? I know it was only four drafts ago but none of the names really jump out. Sure you have Kane at #1 overall but I don't think he'd be #1 overall in any other draft from 2004 to now. And after Kane there's a significant drop off.

Old
11-25-2010, 10:33 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
There's nothing wrong with the logic behind the proposal, but he was correct, the Blues would never consider a deal like that for Cole. Their Cup window is just starting to crack open and Cole is a big part of their future moving forward. They probably envision him having a Polak-type impact on the team, which means that they value him pretty highly.

Old
11-25-2010, 10:48 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:

He is, and has been for quite some time. He was the #2 prospect for the Blues the previous ranking to last behind Pietrangelo. Right now he's #5 behind Pietrangelo, Schwartz and Tarasenko (both drafted this year), and Allen who was previously #3 and is currently tearing it up in the AHL.