HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Afternoon Delight Plus/Minus: Pens/Sens (11.26.10)

Old
11-26-2010, 03:57 PM
BrookswasHere44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
+Fleury. Can he keep this going? Crossing my fingers that he does, because suddenly the team could be making some noise with a good defense backstopped by a good goalie.

+Sid. If his linemates didn't have hands of stone, he'd be running away with the scoring title. It's amazing how much he creates in the offensive end, while playing such a solid all around game. I really, really hope our winger situation gets upgraded. I'd love to see what he can do with guys who could finish even a fraction of the chances he creates.

+Michalek. He's my new man-crush. The guy is just so solid back there. It's getting to the point where I feel more comfortable with him on the ice than any other defenseman (excluding Letang in the offensive end).

+PK. It's been amazing lately, and today was no exception.

+Geno. He was buzzing today. I wasn't a fan of his performance late in the game with Ottawa's net empty, however. Looked more interested in getting an empty netter than making sure the puck simply cleared the Pens' zone safely.

-Gogo/Lovejoy pairing. I mentioned them a few times in the gameday thread, and so they're my number one minus. They looked awful out there today. It seemed like every time Ottawa had any sort of sustained pressure in the Pens' zone, these two were inevitably the pairing on the ice. Gogo only slightly redeemed himself with that goal.

-Asham's ice time. I don't get it. He's been effective when given a chance, yet he's consistently getting the fewest minutes per game. Under six minutes today. That's brutal.

-Dupuis/Kunitz. No, not for their overall play. Dupuis, especially, was hustling out there. And I realize it's not their fault -- they're not naturally gifted players. But man oh man do I scream at my television every time they screw up one of Sid's rushes.
This Asham point is redonk and i couldnt agree more!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Woodrow
I really hate yo-yos

+ TK getting some PP time. I hope he gets an extended look in the top six soon preferably on Crosby's line.

Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

How was the defense? I didn't catch the game but I noticed 44 shots against..

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:06 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
This thread has been very much on point so I've only one thing to add:

- Fans: Booing Gonchar, really? To make matters worse, when they weren't booing Gonch, the fans didn't make a peep: you could hear a pin drop in the place. Watching this game made me embarrassed to be a Pens fan.
Came here specifically to mention this.

Just awful.

Big plus to Fleury, today. It's such a relief to see the guy back on track.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
This thread has been very much on point so I've only one thing to add:

- Fans: Booing Gonchar, really? To make matters worse, when they weren't booing Gonch, the fans didn't make a peep: you could hear a pin drop in the place. Watching this game made me embarrassed to be a Pens fan.
I was at the game and I only heard a few people actually booing Gonchar. They were doing the whoop thing once maybe but I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the ice for that either. I was under the impression that they were booing the Sens slow breakout and not Gonchar himself but I could be wrong.

If they were booing Gonchar, then they are idiots. He in no way deserves to be booed and if I would have realized that I would have made a huge stink about it to the people around me.

peskypenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:11 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepper View Post
+ TK getting some PP time. I hope he gets an extended look in the top six soon preferably on Crosby's line.
Absolutely agree.

He made the most of his opportunities today, as well. I'm still not sure why he hasn't gotten more consideration for an expanded role on the team. Hopefully today is a step in that direction.

Considering where he started out, in camp... he's been extremely impressive, this season.

Old
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
I was at the game and I only heard a few people actually booing Gonchar. They were doing the whoop thing once maybe but I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the ice for that either. I was under the impression that they were booing the Sens slow breakout and not Gonchar himself but I could be wrong.

If they were booing Gonchar, then they are idiots. He in no way deserves to be booed and if I would have realized that I would have made a huge stink about it to the people around me.
Strange, on the Sportsnet feed, there were very audible boos almost every time Gonch touched the puck. Maybe there was just a group of idiots near one of the mics Sportsnet used for its feed?

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Absolutely agree.

He made the most of his opportunities today, as well. I'm still not sure why he hasn't gotten more consideration for an expanded role on the team. Hopefully today is a step in that direction.

Considering where he started out, in camp... he's been extremely impressive, this season.
and to think people here wanted to cut him...

On another, can bring attention to Errey's comment about Gonchar cause I thought it was golden.

"He's not wearing the green jacket yet, but he's in the running with a -12"

I love Gonch but that is classic

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
Strange, on the Sportsnet feed, there were very audible boos almost every time Gonch touched the puck. Maybe there was just a group of idiots near one of the mics Sportsnet used for its feed?
It's possible though every time there was a slow break out, Gonchar had the puck. I didn't think there was any booing at all when he was in the offensive zone. Then again, I could be wrong and naive. I'm trying to hope for the best in Pens fans though. Booing Gonchar could possibly be the stupidest thing ever.

I was also a little disappointed that there wasn't a lot of cheering when the Pens congratulated both Alfredsson and Kovalev on their 1000 points. I don't like Alfredsson but Kovalev had some very good years in Pittsburgh so I stood and cheered. I was like the only one standing and there was a very small cheer.

My others:
+ Sid. You can honestly feel the excitement in the building when he is on the ice and gets the puck. He is amazing.
+ Fleury. Except for one mishandling of the puck, I can't remember another play where he looked bad. He played a heck of a game tonight and really kept us in it in the 1st period.
+ Martin and Michalek. Both were very solid in both the defensive and offensive ends. Always making the smart play and keeping the cycle alive.
+ TK. He was flying from the beginning of the game and really jumped started that third line.
+ Letestu/Conner. Both guys looked good today. They were able to get a cycle going and keep the defense trapped in the zone. Big shifts for them were the reason we were able to keep momentum going our way. It also makes it easier on Crosby and Malkin.

= Cooke and Talbot. Neither really did anything during even strength today but both were great on the PK once again.
= Malkin. I hate to put him here but he is so hot and cold. He makes sloppy passes and can be poor defensively one shift. Then, he comes out the next and generates six scoring chances the next. Cooke and Talbot did almost nothing to help him though. I would try Kennedy and Asham next game unless you don't want to break up the 3rd line.
= Goligoski. He had a game much like Malkin did. There is almost no consistency in his game. His breakout passes don't impress me.

- No one beating the crap out of Neil after he roughed up Fleury. Really guys? Fleury isn't superman. He already bailed you out enough.
- The fans possibly booing Gonchar. Are you kidding me? It's just classless.
- Rupp. He's kind of terrible.

Last edited by peskypenguin4: 11-26-2010 at 04:35 PM.
peskypenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Illinest

i miss jordan staal

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:33 PM
AK

The penalty killing is reliable. I don't bat an eye when they're shorthanded, which is nice. It's made better by the fact that the best penalty killing forward in the NHL isn't even in the lineup right now.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
i miss jordan staal
Imagine that.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:39 PM
BrookswasHere44

Audible boo's on my feed aswell...as far as a quite barn...to me...thats per usual...and i HATE it...

Always always always stands out as being a pretty calm and quite crown more often than not

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:45 PM
WVP

Rupp is following up a shockingly good season with a shockingly bad season. Lazy, slow and undisciplined.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 05:55 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I think that todays crowd is not indicative of the usual Pen's crowd.

It is people coming home for the holidays from out of town that don't go to many games, but have the opportunity to see a game on a limited visit.

People that moved away and are back for one or two games.

Mike Lange always comments on this fact. That the crowd during the holidays is ridiculously quiet. And not very knowledgeable.

Last edited by td_ice: 11-26-2010 at 06:01 PM.
td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Rupp is following up a shockingly good season with a shockingly bad season. Lazy, slow and undisciplined.
I've had the same thought at different times. Mr. "We have to make smart decisions" routinely makes dumb decisions, at this point almost every freaking game. The whole Rupping one out thing last year was a funny moment but it was an aberration IMO. He's just not that smart / good of a player, period. Even on the 4th line. I was pretty happy he was a 4th liner for us but this year he's getting plenty of chances to show his stuff and he still sucks. Will be happy to see some of these scrubs go this summer and be replaced by our home-grown 4th liners who at least have a bit of talent and speed.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
And that's another puzzling thing. He seemed to be played less last season, when he was actually doing well, than he is this season, when he's been brutal. In fact, that's the case. Based on his ice time per game, he's getting a whole extra minute per game this year compared to last.

Asham seems to have taken Rupp's spot this year as "depth forward playing well, but not getting the ice time". Maybe if we re-sign Asham and he stinks up the joint next year, he'll see an increase in playing time.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 06:41 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Yeah... I know it might seem petty, to some, to key in on a depth player, like Rupp. But he's been pretty disappointing, this season. I think we all knew his goal production last year was an aberration (well... most of us... the coach doesn't seem to think so, evidently) but he's really not even doing the little things often enough that should be the bread and butter for a player like him... going to the net, playing a consistently physical brand of hockey and avoiding stupid penalties that could hurt the team. Also, as you pointed out... he's skating like he has a few lead bricks stashed in his gear.

Quote:
And that's another puzzling thing. He seemed to be played less last season, when he was actually doing well, than he is this season, when he's been brutal. In fact, that's the case. Based on his ice time per game, he's getting a whole extra minute per game this year compared to last.
And that's really part of the problem. He's playing far outside of his role. He should be playing limited minutes in very specific circumstances. Not out there taking shifts on the top lines, playing plum minutes and getting time on the powerplay. He's seeing way too much ice... not only is he going to struggle with that type of expanded role but his screwups are going to be that much more visible/frequent/costly.

Old
11-26-2010, 06:49 PM
TopShelfGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
i miss jordan staal
At this point in time, Jordan Staal is the last thing on my mind. The team is winning and the PK is not only spectacular..it's reliable. I'm ok with Staal taking his time. If I miss him, it's because I'm anxious to see if he can get Malkin going.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 2840
+Stamkos getting shutout today.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

vCash: 370
I was at the game and there was only a handful of "fans" booing Gonchar. None of them were around me though.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 08:02 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Yeah but that's every fan base. Pens fans supposedly are unknowedgeable bandwagon jumpers, Leafs fans are stupid rabble-rousers, and Habs fans are obnoxious and perpetually believe that the Canadiens are "the team of destiny"... It goes on and on but it doesn't make it any less stupid.
Ottawa has the same 5 or 6 posters who are just way over the top. It was this way in 2007, 2008, and now every single time we play them. Everyone is out to get the Sens, they never get calls, they always get jipped, woe is the Ottawa fan.

I'm not saying we have a perfect fan base, because that is about as far from the truth as anything, but we don't have the guys who run to main board to stir **** up any time something goes wrong against our team.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 09:32 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
-Asham's ice time. I don't get it. He's been effective when given a chance, yet he's consistently getting the fewest minutes per game. Under six minutes today. That's brutal.
Totally agree here. Asham seemed to be clicking pretty well with Geno, so of course he has to be taken off his line. Talbot hadn't shown anything special on that line since he got moved up. I hope Bylsma moves Asham back there soon.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I think by now it has become obvious who Asham was signed to replace: Rupp. Put Godard back in the lineup, get rid of Rupp. Less is more, here.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2010, 11:41 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Paper to finish. No game for me this aft So some random things:

+Winchester scores. I went to high school with him. Good guy.
+Fleur-y! Fleur-y! (I did peak for a bit of the first period and witnessed The Save). What is this now? 72 of 73 shots stopped?
+El Sid's point streak continues
+We won.
+We're 8-1-1 in our past 10, which is better than any other team.

This game literally had everything I wanted and yet I missed it...

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote