Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2004, 05:44 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
realignment, etc.

Article by Ted Montgomery suggesting several changes:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ntgomery_x.htm

I'd disagree with some of the things he states as facts, but I like some of the concepts. I'm not a huge fan of the current divisions, and I think he's got an interesting idea with the playoff format. Maybe a good one, maybe not, but an interesting one.

Old
06-17-2004, 09:45 PM
chaachie12

I agree with the contraction...and those 4 teams seem to make sense. I wouldn't like losing Pittsburgh, but what can you do? Something drastic needs to happen or we won't have the NHL in 10 years, imo.

Old
06-18-2004, 10:00 AM
jt2004

Contracting 4 teams would really help with the dilluted talent in the league now. Pittsburgh was a good hockey town but with no arena there toast. As for Florida, Atlanta and Carolina those are no brainers they will never be good hockey cities.

Old
06-18-2004, 03:11 PM
barnabyrules

Personally I would love to see 4 teams contracted but we all saw what happens when they try to contract a team when they tried to get rid of the Twins. But say it does happen, what do they do with the players on those teams. IMO the only fair way they could do it would be to have a draft with the players from each team. Imagine the chance at Heatly, Kovalchuk, Luongo, etc.

Old
06-18-2004, 03:59 PM
ceber

I think contraction is pretty close to a non-issue, unless it happens through teams folding on their own. I don't see anyone, especially the remaining owners, footing the bill to contract 4 teams, let alone 1 or 2. Where would the money come from to do that?

Old
06-19-2004, 03:54 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2004
Contracting 4 teams would really help with the dilluted talent in the league now. Pittsburgh was a good hockey town but with no arena there toast. As for Florida, Atlanta and Carolina those are no brainers they will never be good hockey cities.
Said that about San Jose, Tampa Bay in years past, too.

Old
06-22-2004, 08:40 AM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
I think contraction is pretty close to a non-issue, unless it happens through teams folding on their own. I don't see anyone, especially the remaining owners, footing the bill to contract 4 teams, let alone 1 or 2. Where would the money come from to do that?
I agree. Contraction is mostly wishful thinking for a lot of people. Bettman has already said he won't agree to it and the owners don't want to be stuck with the check, and in reality, the players union doesn't really want contraction either (less jobs).

Granted, as you say, teams may be forced to fold, especially in the leagues current conditions, but it's looking very doubtful it will be a league mandated process.

Closed Thread