HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas to TBL

Old
11-27-2010, 05:55 AM
luiginb

vCash: 500
Tim Thomas to TBL

I wonder what the fans of either team think it would take for this trade to happen NOW.

Any trade would have to start with Ellis +

Keep it real (cap/NTCs - yes, I know Thomas has one!). Boston fans, remember Thomas is 37 and highly paid, so don't ask for the world. Tampa fans, remember Thomas is 2 years removed from a Vezina and the best goalie in the NHL this year, so far.

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Realistically:

It's not happening.

At this point, I think there's at least 5 different Boston will trade before they trade Thomas.

EDIT: Boston fans should be able to ask for whatever the **** they want to, because they have no reason to trade Thomas.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:05 AM
luiginb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post

EDIT: Boston fans should be able to ask for whatever the **** they want to, because they have no reason to trade Thomas.
Cap + having Rask (NHL starter) on the bench. I also mentioned not asking for an overpayment, but for fair value, taking everything into account.

Old
11-27-2010, 06:20 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by luiginb View Post
Cap + having Rask (NHL starter) on the bench. I also mentioned not asking for an overpayment, but for fair value, taking everything into account.
Taking into the account that they like their situation with Thomas and Rask splitting duties and that they have 3-4 other players they could easily move for cap relief (Jacobs has given Chiarelli the OK to bury contracts in the AHL)

Someone will have to make a good offer for Thomas to be moved. If he was healthy I'd do Gange + Ellis/Smith for Thomas + Ryder. I'm sure TB won't like it but we need scoring and speed or a PMD so unless someone can think of something else.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:28 AM
PsychoDad

Tim Thomas is 36.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:35 AM
luiginb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
I'm sure TB won't like it but we need scoring and speed or a PMD so unless someone can think of something else.
Ellis + Clark + 1st? They get a reasonable PMD (well, at least this year he is), a very good backup for Rask, a lower first, and 2 million in cap space, and Tampa gets their great starter. I would have replaced Clark and the first with Kubina, but packaged with Ellis, they earn more than Thomas and therefore beats the point of a trade between these two teams.

Last edited by luiginb: 11-27-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old
11-27-2010, 07:17 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Ellis + Clark + 1st? They get a reasonable PMD (well, at least this year he is), a very good backup for Rask, a lower first, and 2 million in cap space, and Tampa gets their great starter. I would have replaced Clark and the first with Kubina, but packaged with Ellis, they earn more than Thomas and therefore beats the point of a trade between these two teams.
You're focusing too much on cap space. The Bruins don't view getting rid of Thomas as a cap space deal, they would only trade him if it improved the team immediately. They will dump Paille, Ryder, or Sturm and/or trade Wheeler before trading Thomas for cap relief.

Now with that said the Bruins have plenty of picks so that first probably won't impress them. They need NHL ready talent and they need a better PMD than Clark.

Old
11-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Taking into the account that they like their situation with Thomas and Rask splitting duties and that they have 3-4 other players they could easily move for cap relief (Jacobs has given Chiarelli the OK to bury contracts in the AHL)

Someone will have to make a good offer for Thomas to be moved. If he was healthy I'd do Gange + Ellis/Smith for Thomas + Ryder. I'm sure TB won't like it but we need scoring and speed or a PMD so unless someone can think of something else.
Honestestly I would do an Ellis+gagne for Thomas. Dont know how the rest of Tampa would feel.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Honestestly I would do an Ellis+gagne for Thomas. Dont know how the rest of Tampa would feel.
With how Thomas has played, coupled with the solid start Tampa has enjoyed. I do not believe it would be a stretch to believe they contend for conference championship. Of course, I do not know your other needs, if any. Thus pure speculation based on numbers.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Fallschirmyager

I am quite entertained by the whole Thomas thing. He went from being virtually untradeable because of that albatross contract and substandard play to being untadeable because he's playing off the charts.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 08:39 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Boston can't take on cap. Tampa would have to take a good sized cap dump. I'd again only do that trade if Gange actually comes back healthy and plays well.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:46 AM
BruinsPortugal

Quote:

That's it, Thomas+Ryder for Gagne+Ellis.

But both Thomas and Gagne have NTC and im not sure both teams would do it. From a fan perspective that's what makes sense.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:01 AM
bme44

I think Smith and Clark for Thomas and Hunwick could be a working situation for both teams

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Leafs4life1996

Why does TBL want Thomas, he is old and he will only the team for like 2 years then he's done with his career.

Leafs4life1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Eennad142

Quote:
I wonder what the fans of either team think it would take for this trade to happen NOW.
Any trade would have to start with Ellis +
Keep it real (cap/NTCs - yes, I know Thomas has one!). Boston fans, remember Thomas is 37 and highly paid, so don't ask for the world. Tampa fans, remember Thomas is 2 years removed from a Vezina and the best goalie in the NHL this year, so far.
Tim Thomas and (D) M. Stuart, to Tampa Bay, for Ellis and prospect (D) Ty Wishart.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs4life1996 View Post
Why does TBL want Thomas, he is old and he will only the team for like 2 years then he's done with his career.
Because he would push us from borderline playoff team to a team that can go deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Tim Thomas and (D) M. Stuart, to Tampa Bay, for Ellis and prospect (D) Ty Wishart.
SFY would rip off Boston too much, I'd even throw in a decent pick or another prospect.

11-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Honestly... the more I think about it... I don't think Timmy gets moved...

**don't roast me for these lines, just speculation and proving point**

Lucic-Bergeron-Horton
Wheeler-Savard-Seguin
Caron Krecji Colborne
Campbell Marchand Thornton

Chara-Seidenberg
Ferrence-Boychuck
McQuaid-(Stuart? at 2million)

Thomas
Rask

Out- Ryder, Sturm

Basically Boston will have the same roster next year, with young guys moving up to take spots... it will open up anywhere from 6-8 million in cap moving forward... (7.5 from losing Ryder and Sturm, also Chara's new deal knocks off .5 million add in resigning some people and the rookies filling in, it works out to 6-8 million free roughly)...

We can afford to keep Thomas till his contract is up, the more I look at it, we are in cap trouble now, but next year unless Chia loses his mind, we should be good for a bit...

I like Thomas as an insurance policy, I always been a detractor, and I do prefer Rask... but numbers don't lie, Thomas has been a top 10 goalie in this league for the last 4 years... and unless the deal brings back a good puck mover, I have little to no interest in moving Timmeh

With that available cap, I wouldn't want to spend to the cap, be nice to get a good puck mover with 4-5million cap hit.

We are in cap hell RIGHT NOW... but we are all good in the hood next year

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Lord Ahriman

Boston wouldn't trade him unless for an overpayment. Main point is, we have the best pair of goalies of NHL and there is no reason to trade on of them, for cap relief, knowing we have other options.

For those saying Gagne, certainly he is a good player, but I don't want another injury prone here.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Ten Thousand Hours

No Movement Clause. And there's ZERO chance he waives it to go to Tampa ****ing Bay.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:17 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
No Movement Clause. And there's ZERO chance he waives it to go to Tampa ****ing Bay.
I think you are right. If he wouldn't waive his NMC to go to the Caps as was rumored at the last deadline, where would he waive to go to?

It doesn't sound like he wants to be anywhere but Boston.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:24 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Whys that?

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar R Jones View Post
Because he would push us from borderline playoff team to a team that can go deep.
As an outsider (Caps fan) I totally agree. Tampa + either TT or TV is scary to me.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Whys that?

He wouldn't want to up and move to a worse team in a worse market for the same playing time. He allegedly used to NMC to block a trade to Washington last year (and that was when he wasn't getting as many starts here). From everything I've heard him say he wants to stay in Boston at all cost.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:38 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Actually, TB is one of the few teams he'd consider waiving to go to. St. Louis is one of TT's best friends. I doubt he waives for any team, but Tampa Bay would probably near the top of his list of desired locations.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Mark Stuart*

Tampa is one place I think he waives his NTC for. I think ANY deal involving Thomas would have the acquiring team taking on quite a bit of salary... Otherwise, there's no reason for Boston to move him.

I also think any deal involving Thomas wont be for just picks/prospects, but an upgrade at D.

Thomas+Hunwick for Ellis+Kubina

Mark Stuart* is offline   Reply With Quote