HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tim Thomas to TBL

Old
11-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Also even more stupid considering Bruins don't need a Center, and taking Vinny back would negate all the salary dumps by the Bruins.

Great deal!

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Thomas
Sturm
Ryder

for

Lecavalier

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:34 PM
b in vancouver

I don't really think of any of those 3 as salary dumps. I actually think that Tampa would be a scarier team and have a better shot at coming out of the east this year if they did make that swap.
Lecavalier is one of my favourite players in the league but when I've seen him play this past year and a half he hasn't been nearly that dominant force he was a few years ago. I hope he regains his pre-injury form cos I like watching hockey but it's not a given.
You can swap in or out other assests like Wheeler instead of either Sturm or Ryder as Tampa could play him at centre or Mark Stuart or something - the B's have some interesting prospects but I'm more thinking of Tampa making a push this year and the next few years.
I know age and salary and contract length and marketability and all of that come into play but for all of that I think Tim Thomas would help Tampa win more games then Vinny does.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Mark Stuart*

Quote:
I don't really think of any of those 3 as salary dumps. I actually think that Tampa would be a scarier team and have a better shot at coming out of the east this year if they did make that swap.
Lecavalier is one of my favourite players in the league but when I've seen him play this past year and a half he hasn't been nearly that dominant force he was a few years ago. I hope he regains his pre-injury form cos I like watching hockey but it's not a given.
You can swap in or out other assests like Wheeler instead of either Sturm or Ryder as Tampa could play him at centre or Mark Stuart or something - the B's have some interesting prospects but I'm more thinking of Tampa making a push this year and the next few years.
I know age and salary and contract length and marketability and all of that come into play but for all of that I think Tim Thomas would help Tampa win more games then Vinny does.
In all honesty, I think Vincent Lecavalier is one of the last player Boston would look at...

Big cap-hit
Long contract
Plays center
Costs a lot to acquire

It just doesn't make sense... For either team really.

Mark Stuart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

Spent a page discussing the merits of Thomas waiving his NMC to go to TB. Do any of you all really think Vinny would waive his NMC to play the trap?

Not going to argue salary dumps since Vinny would probably be considered one himself.

If the Lightning go after Thomas, it will be based around the idea of Boston freeing up salary and Thomas being willing to waive his clause. Boston could get some value back, but it won't be anything as significant as Downie, Lecavalier, or a top prospect.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
bme44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
But where would he be happier? Staying home in Boston, or moving to Tampa Bay? It's not like he has to be traded and he'll choose Tampa over other places. He's happy here already. What on earth makes you think he'd be willing to move all the way to Tampa Bay.

And, wow, he's friends with St. Louis. He must not have any friends on the Bruins.
I think you are missing the point Thomas knows that Rask is the goalie of the fuure for Boston (he is on borrowed time has already been asked to wave his NTC from my info) so what would he prefer bacukp in Boston or starter in Tampa ??? IMHO

bme44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:52 PM
b in vancouver

if nothing else it would make Habs fans heads explode.

Big cap hit - franchise player
Long contract - core player
centre - i don't care who's centre or wing but Lecavalier Savard Seguin on a line together for the forseeable future would be scary
costs a lot to acquire - if you amass the amount of assets (players) Boston has then eventually you can roll the dice with overpaying.

If these teams made a trade that involved Thomas + for Lecavalier I would not be surprised to see them meeting in the Conference Finals 3 years straight.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
b in vancouver

I posted then realized how it sounded but...

All in fun.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I could see us offering a B prospect and a pick or roster player, so Boston doesn't have to take on any salary but still gets value for Thomas.

I like Timmy, and he does have value, but its kind of volatile what Boston has going financially, they have to consider this from about 5 years down the road where Rask, Seguin, etc are looking at extensions. I don't think Ryder as a toss in would be terrible either to clear salary, since its only a year.

I don't know, its really in Chias hands in a sense, because he needs to figure out how far hes planning ahead with that team. Does he want to win now, or stay competitive for the next five without putting guys on IR to fit under the cap.

Old
11-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
if nothing else it would make Habs fans heads explode.
Big cap hit - franchise player
Long contract - core player
costs a lot to acquire - if you amass the amount of assets (players) Boston has then eventually you can roll the dice with overpaying.

Edit: I posted before you reposted, saying it was for fun. Cancel my comment.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 03:06 PM
b in vancouver

All for fun sure but I think I'm onto something - I think I might just possibly be the smartest armchair g.m. in the world or at least on this whole intra webbie thing going now on stuff.
Looking at it I think these teams would be dumb not to make this trade. It's perfect. I gotta tell someone.
Drat... I misplaced Chiarelli's cell number somehow. Anybody want PM it to me?

Old
11-28-2010, 04:31 PM
POPNDOUGH

It is very very unlikely that Thomas will accept any trade unless there is a complete falling out with the Bruins. His family is in Boston, his parents are here for the great medical care, and he runs hockey camps all around New England. He seems to like playing for the team that gave him the chance in the NHL.

Thomas is playing up to his contract, and there is no reason for management to try to make him uncomfortable so he'd waive. The B's would have to get a player that can help them this year as much as Thomas is helping them to even think about it. Think Top 4 D-man, or Top- 6 forward on a good contract.

I doubt TB would be willing to give up what it would take to get him.

POPNDOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
All for fun sure but I think I'm onto something - I think I might just possibly be the smartest armchair g.m. in the world or at least on this whole intra webbie thing going now on stuff.
Looking at it I think these teams would be dumb not to make this trade. It's perfect. I gotta tell someone.
Drat... I misplaced Chiarelli's cell number somehow. Anybody want PM it to me?
I don't know man, hes not big on me giving out his number.