HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zeiler on re-entry waivers

Old
11-27-2010, 05:15 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
WTF was I thinking?

Um.... my nephew is here visiting and his name is tod, does that mean that I hate my nephew?

I need a couch and a box of tissue's statum.

Jack wagon.

Oh well, same outburst applies whether his name is John Ted or Tod, if his last name is Zeiler than chances are he and I won't get along based on past experiences.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
They why put him on re-entry waivers?
because they have to if they want to call him up.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
No, why should they.
29 teams in the NHL try to play hockey.
The Kings are the only one who try to create an art form or something using the roster. Everyone has a special skill or a special role when you ignore the actual hockey skills.
It's like one of these role games on computer.
You know your group is good enough to go through the dungeon but you have one roster spot free.
You dig deep in your team and find an unskilled level 2 character and take him with you to level him up.
After you find out his level cap is actually 2 you just send him into the next monster group to have a body for your necromancer to create a mighty zombie.
Unfortunately Murray isn't a necromancer he is a healer and re spawns Zeiler and hope this time he is defeating the group.

Something like that must go on in Kings head office.
I don't have any other explanation for these kind of roster moves.
It has always been like that........ the untalented worse player getting everything for free and the most talented guys have to earn something or are the guys who are benched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
WTF was I thinking?

Um.... my nephew is here visiting and his name is tod, does that mean that I hate my nephew?

I need a couch and a box of tissue's statum.

Jack wagon.

Oh well, same outburst applies whether his name is John Ted or Tod, if his last name is Zeiler than chances are he and I won't get along based on past experiences.
This thread is like an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
I hope this is a sign we have hit bottom and are about to have our alcoholic moment of clarity

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:35 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I hope this is a sign we have hit bottom and are about to have our alcoholic moment of clarity
I thought rock bottom was having Dan Cloutier in net. Followed by Jason LaBarbera.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:41 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I thought rock bottom was having Dan Cloutier in net. Followed by Jason LaBarbera.
and Barry the hut.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Murray and possibly Lombardi as well, wanting that veteran presence on the fourth line. It seems as though Richardson is more stuck on the fourth line for that reason rather than because he belongs there. Maybe they want to go with a Zeiler Lewis Clifford/Westgarth line in the future?

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:03 PM
KingCanadain1976

I thought i heard somewhere tsn or sportsnet most likely that westgarth got hurt in his fight.( hand i think ) So maybe there just replaceing him?

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
If Zeiler is replacing Westgarth then poor John will be in a coma sometime next week.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
If Zeiler is replacing Westgarth then poor John will be in a coma sometime next week.
I lol'ed.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's on a 2 way deal correct? So would his AHL salary be halved as well?
One way deal.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 07:48 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

With any luck.

Let me be the first to encourage Zeiler to become the Kings best enforcer of all time. "GO AHEAD JOHN, YOU CAN TAKE HIM. DID YOU HEAR WHAT HE CALLED YOUR MOTHER. ARE YOU GONNA JUST SIT THERE AND TAKE IT".

Lease let it be against a mack truck. Calling Mr Neil.

Old
11-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
They why put him on re-entry waivers?
Since any player that makes more than 100K in the AHL has to go on re-entry waivers to be recalled to NHL. And since Zeiler is on a 1way contract he makes his full amount in the AHL.

People do not kid yourselves. Zeiler is being recalled to play for the Kings. And it is not the end of the world, as some have here seem to think. Think about it. Right now with the injuries, the fourth is King-Richie-Westy. Now many have said how King is not ready for the NHL, and we all know how useless Westy is pretty much all the time. So we need 4th line wingers that can A)contribute something on the 4th line in limited minutes B)be able to go in and out of the lineup without hurting development. On Manchester there is only 2 names that fit that bill: Clune and Zeiler. The Kings clearly feel that none of the other prospects(Kozun, Loktionov, Holloway, Schenn) are RIGHT NOW (this may change very soon) are ready to step into a top 6 scoring role on this wing(why Schenn/Loki aren't up, IMO).

Clearly Kings management wanted to recall Zeiler over Clune and I do not blame them. Zeiler adds speed, hitting and more of a pest factor over Clune, who is a better fighter. Neither have much in the way of stick skills, offensive ability, or size. Better to have Zeiler beaking the opponants while some missing hits than Clune skating off after being run over again, IMO.

In a perfect world the Kings would have signed another 4th liner like I had hoped in the off-season, but alas these were the only two choices left to them at this point.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Zeiler is useless. He runs around skating really fast and then backs off of his checks. He is out of place more often than not due to his looking for that home run check and more often than not he misses (or worse backs off at the last second) and when he does connect he is known for taking a cheap shot or getting a penalty for his efforts.

He is useless when you consider that Clune can actually play a little and might even develop his game into being an NHL player. Zeiler is toast, he is of no value as an NHLer. A dime a dozen fourth line agitator who isn't even all that good at that aspect of his job.

I understand why you bring Zeiler up if your Terry Murray, its the same logic that you apply to bringing up King for the first line LW when your montra has been "you have to earn the right to play on the big club" and that is that he hasn't a clue about who should be playing where or with whom.

I didn't mind it when we were a floundering team of bits and pieces looking for direction, but we are well beyond that now and have almost all of he pieces in place to be an actual Cup contender and the wheel of fortune line decider or D match up pairing is bad enough but don't try and tell me that Zeiler is anywhere near the best we can do as a call up for checking line duty or that Peter Harrold is either.

This is and has been the most criticized part of Terry Murray as a coach and it appears that he hasn't learned from his past failings. He is the coach that comes in and puts a system in place and helps young players learn how to play in that system and with discipline and then he becomes useless. I am not putting all of this on TM's shoulders though, Morris is about as useless when it comes evaluating talent.

Look where these guys came from and look at their track records and you will see where I am basing my opinion. Unfortunately I see it as a case of the past repeating itself.

Zeiler is useless and easily not or next best option.

In my opinion.

Old
11-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I find it comical how many punching bags the Kings have assembled over the years... Zeiler, Clune, Greene, Laperriere, Buchberger, Zmolek, Rychel... then you also have the cement heads like Ivanans, Brennan, Flinn, Norton, K. Belanger, Visheau. Hopefully Clifford and to some degree Westgarth can become more successful in that role than any of the others in the toughness department.

Hopefully Westgarth can develop into a respectable player much like what George Parros has become. Both Westgarth and Clifford should be given a tape library of footage from McSorley, Miller, Baumgartner and Grimson. And get Zeiler extra padded shoulder pads, just to make sure he doesn't separate a shoulder when he goes 100MPH into the end boards.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Zeiler is useless. He runs around skating really fast and then backs off of his checks. He is out of place more often than not due to his looking for that home run check and more often than not he misses (or worse backs off at the last second) and when he does connect he is known for taking a cheap shot or getting a penalty for his efforts.

He is useless when you consider that Clune can actually play a little and might even develop his game into being an NHL player. Zeiler is toast, he is of no value as an NHLer. A dime a dozen fourth line agitator who isn't even all that good at that aspect of his job.

I understand why you bring Zeiler up if your Terry Murray, its the same logic that you apply to bringing up King for the first line LW when your montra has been "you have to earn the right to play on the big club" and that is that he hasn't a clue about who should be playing where or with whom.

I didn't mind it when we were a floundering team of bits and pieces looking for direction, but we are well beyond that now and have almost all of he pieces in place to be an actual Cup contender and the wheel of fortune line decider or D match up pairing is bad enough but don't try and tell me that Zeiler is anywhere near the best we can do as a call up for checking line duty or that Peter Harrold is either.

This is and has been the most criticized part of Terry Murray as a coach and it appears that he hasn't learned from his past failings. He is the coach that comes in and puts a system in place and helps young players learn how to play in that system and with discipline and then he becomes useless. I am not putting all of this on TM's shoulders though, Morris is about as useless when it comes evaluating talent.

Look where these guys came from and look at their track records and you will see where I am basing my opinion. Unfortunately I see it as a case of the past repeating itself.

Zeiler is useless and easily not or next best option.

In my opinion.
I completely agree that Zeiler is not an ideal situation. But in reality this situation is it was down to Zeiler and Clune. IMO when you compare these two I would have a guy who brings Zeiler's energy and work ethic(even if accomlishes nothing) as that energy can often be contangious over Clune who's only real skill I have seen last season was an uncanny ability to put himself in venerable spots and get absolutely crushed. Neither one is anywhere close to an NHL player but DL refusing to add some veteran depth to the 4th line in the off-season has left the Kings with little choice. That is the real problem here, IMO.

The only other option was available to the Kings was to recall a Schenn/Loktionov/Kozun/Holloway/King type to play in the top 9, and as King/Loktionov have shown us those guys don't seem to be ready yet.

I agree with you on many points, the promoting King when the mantra was earn your right, the mix and matching lines, etc. But I simply fail to see what other option there was. Other than Clune, is there any immediate answer to solve the issue of a checking line winger? I am hopeful that DL will use these injuries to see that another checking line winger is needed, but we will see.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:46 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

This is way easier than you guys are making it out to be. They want someone better (?) than Harrold as the 4th line RW when they plan on sitting Westgarth. I think Zeiler is a decent option, it has been a few years so this will be one last chance for him to prove his worth. He can't be any worse than Westie when it comes to actually playing hockey. Zeiler is pretty quick and is a physical presence.

An interesting experiment for sure. I'd be shocked if someone claimed him though.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I know. Its a tough call but I guess that I just believe that Clune is simply a much better option than Zeiler but I suppose it doesn't really matter in the sense that neither are idyllic at this stage.

I have a difficult time explaining this but I guess that in my experience over the years hockey as a game and its players are always for the most part pretty solid and good. I always want to see the best players make it up with the NHL clubs but I also want the best people to make it too.

I think that I should be more subjective in some situations and maybe this is one of them.

I like Clune being brought up because I see a glimmer of hope that he might work out to be a an adequate fourth line call up and I don't see the same in Zeiler but I do agree that it isn't a major deal.

Old
11-28-2010, 01:34 AM
CNS
A World Alone

I hate this team. They're recalling him and putting him in the lineup. What the **** happened to the team that was too good to be icing scrubs like Zeiler anymore???

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:00 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Clune > Zeiler, 100%

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I find it comical how many punching bags the Kings have assembled over the years... Zeiler, Clune, Greene, Buchberger, Zmolek, Rychel... then you also have the cement heads like Ivanans, Brennan, Flinn, Norton, K. Belanger, Visheau. Hopefully Clifford and to some degree Westgarth can become more successful in that role than any of the others in the toughness department.

Hopefully Westgarth can develop into a respectable player much like what George Parros has become. Both Westgarth and Clifford should be given a tape library of footage from McSorley, Miller, Baumgartner and Grimson. And get Zeiler extra padded shoulder pads, just to make sure he doesn't separate a shoulder when he goes 100MPH into the end boards.
Oh my goodness LMFAO at this list. Yikes! We've accumulated some of the worst fighters of all time. . I've always thought Lappy wasn't a bad middleweight, and Ivanans despite getting destroyed by MacIntyre was pretty decent. But man these other dudes were pathetic. Don't forget about Phil Crowe, and to a certain extent Troy Crowder. Ouch! I'm sure there's others before my time.

Last edited by ru4reals: 11-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.
ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
ru4reals

I just want to write this Memo and get this out to all the other 29 NHL teams. " John Zeiler is a very good hockey player, he is free for everyone's taking. He'll check the crap out of the opposition and be a great asset to your team. He'll bring a ton of energy to your 4th or 5 th line and he won't even cost you a thing. So please, please I beg of you, anyone to claim this tremendous talent!" Thanks! I just want to get this out and I know other kings fans will have great things to say about Mr. Zeiler. He will certainly help your team.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
I wish they had a stat that kept track of penalty's taken vs. penalty's drawn because I'm sure Zeiler would be on the right side of this one.

Malakian#13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
because they have to if they want to call him up.
I was under the impression re-entry waivers were different.

Re-entry waivers new to this CBA is the provision that certain players recalled to the NHL must clear waivers to join the team holding his NHL rights; any other team may claim said player for 50% of his cap hit and salary, with the team attempting to recall taking the other 50% of each. In general, players are not subject to re-entry [recall] waivers unless:

1. The player is on a -way contract and is subject to waivers when assigned to the minors; or
2. The player is on a 2-way contract whose minor league salary is in excess of

2007-08: $100,000
2008-09: $100,000
2009-10: $105,000
2010-11: $105,000
2011-12: $105,000

#2 above does not apply to a player who

1. If a goalie, the goalie has played in 180 or more professional games [NHL, AHL, or ECHL; regular season and playoffs] or, if a skater, 320 or more professional games; AND
2. Has not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the prior 2 seasons or 40 or more games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
HeadInjury

Zeiler is on a one-way contract and was subject to waivers when assigned to Manchester, so he has to go through re-entry waivers to get to the Kings.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Zeiler is a coaches dream and a fans worst nightmare. He never makes the wrong play yet cannot make the right play because he lacks talent. My beef with Zeiler is this clown does not even attempt to take the puck into scoring areas or even try to score. If the puck does somehow manage to hit his brand new stick he will immediately speed up to make it to home base which is either the half wall or the corners. It's as though his body is made of metal and the boards become a giant magnet when the puck touches his stick. Awful. Hard work is great, hard work without talent is BRUTAL.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote