HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Old
11-15-2010, 06:40 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Figured the big man needed his own appreciation thread. Sauer has been relatively healthy(KNOCK ON WOOD)except for a minor tweek suffered in the Boston game three weeks ago. Plays a good smart game. Good first pass. Plays a physical game. Always in position. His ice-time has increased with Michal Rozsival's shoulder injury.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=3476

Sauer has some personality. Zipay wrote this on Saturday. Very funny.

Quote:
Told yesterday that snow was falling in his home state of Minnesota, rookie defenseman Michael Sauer jumped up from his locker. “Deer hunting season! And when you get that first snowfall, you go out in the morning and follow the tracks.” Sauer, 23, who grew up in St. Cloud, said the weather would be just right for his family to be out hunting, although he didn’t mind even lower temperatures. “I’ve been out in negative-40, in the trees, with the hand warmers, feet warmers. It’s awesome.”
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...auer-1.2457756

Sauer will be a group II this summer with arbitration rights. Barring injuries and any dips in his play,Sauer is looking at a decent raise from the $500,000 NHL minimum. Right-handed shot. 24 years old this summer.

Comparables-2nd or 3rd contracts which cover arbitration years at some point.

Dan Girardi-2 years/$3.1 million
Mark Fistric-3 years/$3 million
Mark Stuart-2 years/$2.6 million
Matt Hunwick-2 years/$2.9 million
Josh Gorges-3 years/$3.3 million
Roman Polak-2 years/$2.2 million
Andrej Sekera-2 years/$2 million
Kevin Klein-3 years/$4.05 million
Jason Demers-2 years/$2.5 million
Ryan Parent-2 years/$1.85 million
Marc Methot-2 years/$2.025 million

Rangers sign Sauer to an affordable two year contract and he becomes a good asset if want to go in that direction.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:54 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Hes deffinitally is deserving of his own appreciation thread the guys been SOLID, I really haven't complained about him nearly as much as the other guys on defense. His consistency really helps this team and I'm sure torts knows that and has some trust in him.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Ail
k.

Could be the best surprise this year if he keeps it up. I love how he plays a subtle game, but is so consistent and has just enough of an edge to stick up for teammates without taking dumb penalties.

Torts better not scratch him the rest of the year unless he does a 180.

11-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Vitto79

Sauer just needs to stay healthy.

I am pretty exited about the possibility of this young group getting better together

Staal is our best but should also improve since he is still young
Girardi has really really impressed me this year
Del Zotto well his D stinks but he has tons of offensive ability and he is only 20
Sauer- just stead. It's all I want a steady responsible Dman and he is it

Then we have Mcdonaugh who is a mini Staal(crosses fingers) and V-Tank who is nasty

Emminger is a stop gap and Rozy is a good vet to have around but still cant wait for that 5 million to come off the books in a few yrs

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:49 AM
Blueblood 2

Agree to appreciate. He is a big boy too!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Nobody here (including me) expected Sauer to be a part of this team. Everyone had McD, or Vtank penciled in.

Kid has played great. He's been consistent. Physical, smart, and calm defensively.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Why he was scratched over Eminger and Gilroy earlier in the season, still makes me wonder.

Sauer is solid.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Why he was scratched over Eminger and Gilroy earlier in the season, still makes me wonder.

Sauer is solid.
He was sore after a game, and was scratched the following night. Seemed to miss a couple of games after that.

Gilroy and MDZ rarely had nights off early last season, and it came back in bit them in the ass at the halfway point. Nothing wrong with having Sauer sit a few nights out of the week.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
IAMREALITY

He's impressed me for sure. Compared to the others in the bottom pairs he's made the fewest mistakes so far in my opinion. Has some developing to do of course but he's been a very pleasant surprise and has put in some pretty solid minutes against some pretty tough guys to defend against. I really like his attitude too.

In camp he really didn't inspire me much at all. But I definitely see what the kid's got inside of him now and think he could very well end up being a solid part of this young core in the years to come. Kid's got definite potential.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Great to see him finally stick in the NHL. He probably should have made the team a few years ago, when he was the best D-man in camp. Injuries no doubt delayed him making the NHL. Just a smart, solid, and physical D-man.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I'm a huge fan of this guy, already. He plays how a D should play. MDZ should take note... Unfortunately, MDZ can't learn how to be Sauer's size... haha

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Always knew he had it in him. Just hope he can stay healthy.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:05 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

All I can say is it's about time. How it took them this long to give him a shot is beyond me, but thankfully, they finally did. The way he's playing right now is no fluke. He's that smart, he's that versatile, and he's that consistent and dependable. Been one of my favorite prospects for a few years now, well on his way to being one of my favorite players on the team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:34 AM
McRanger

Rangers version of Radek Martinek.

Right handed D. Good size. Good skills. Good 2-way game. High risk of injury. Destined to be underrated.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

yah unfortunately i think alot of us are just waiting for the inevitable long term injury that shelves the kid for months. i have zero faith in this kid staying healthy. some guys just cannot stay in the game. nobody ever doubted that this kid wasn't good. he's a first round pick if he could have stayed healthy in juniors but he couldn't even do that.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I really, really like Sauers game.

He doesn't try to do too much, he always rides out the man or takes the body when he needs to. Thats very important for this team, because in the past that hasn't been done enough. Finishing checks, especially down low below the hash marks, sends a ripple effect in the defensive positioning of the team. It's not about burying a guy through the walls, its just finishing a play and maintaining body position between the opposition forward and the net. Too many times have we seen plays where the forwards of the other team are allowed to jump back into the play quickly, usually back towards the front of the net and get rebound chances, get back there to screen the goalie, or work their way back into a cycle or forecheck.

Mike is very good at recognizing when he needs to finish a play and his spacing with his partner and the forwards is subtle but very effective. I like that he is becoming somewhat of a calming influence to a teams who's defenseman tend to run around and give the puck up too often when pressured. This team defends the bast when they let the play come to them and let the forwards use their sticks. He also has the sneaky ability to jump up into a play or dart towards the back door and get chances. Hes been doing this sparingly, but consistently. He's also reading the neutral zone well which is important in this system.

I will be absolutely shocked if he is sat when Rozy comes back. Gilroy has been bad, really bad IMO. I also have concerns about his durability though.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

right now sauer is playing better than MDZ and Gilroy...seasoning helps.

hes a keeper.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:23 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Sauer has been nothing but solid since his first pre-season game. Really like his game, and I'm impressed with how he's handled the NHL level.

Keep it up, Sauer.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I'm just waiting for the inevitable injury. The whole family is made of glass.

Kurt Sauer - 8 NHL seasons, average of 50 games per season. Missed the entire season last year and still isn't back. Some major injuries:
Quote:
11/26/2003 Missed 6 games (sprained left ankle).
4/28/2004 Missed the last 7 games of the regular season, all 5 games of Round One against the Dallas Stars and Game One, Two and Three of Round Two against the San Jose Sharks (groin).
2/02/2008 Missed 28 games (concussion).
2/16/2009 Missed 14 games (lower body injury).
4/27/2010 Missed the last 81 regular season games and all 7 playoff games (head injury).
Kent Sauer - Drafted by the Preds, forced to retire due to knee problems before making it out of the A.
Craig Sauer - Football player, played for Falcons and Vikings. Forced to retire after 4 seasons due to a foot injury.

And we all know our own's Sauers various injury issues.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Very happy for Sauer... I'm sure at some point he was wondering if he was going to have any future with this organization....

He plays a quiet but effective game. Very consistent in his efforts. Makes a lot of subtle plays that could easily go unnoticed if you weren't paying close attention....

Funny how Sauer is 24 and finally coming into his own at the NHL level yet we have a whole contingent scrutinizing a certain 18 year old Moose Jaw warrior defenseman over his +/- rating after every game.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Been calling for him at the NHL level for two years. Let's hope he stays healthy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

He'll be heavily tested tonight. Let's see how he holds up.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Been calling for him at the NHL level for two years. Let's hope he stays healthy.
pft I call b.s.

Nobody even knew this guy was in the organization anymore. No spot for him.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Another one of my favorite players. He's not the household name that some other guys are on the team but he gets the job done and does it with some physicality and a little mean streak which I love.

Cool little story, I was at the NHL Store for the whole jersey thing on Friday and I saw Sauer and some of the players as they're leaving so I say to him, "Mike next time hit Kaleta harder" and he starts laughing and goes will do.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
BrandNewDream

He's been wonderful. Hopefully they sign him for the next 2-3 years at $1m per.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote