HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Flames vs. Pens (11.27.10)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2010, 03:25 PM
  #26
AquaticBirdman
Registered User
 
AquaticBirdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
That's true. It's also funny that Talbot was actually putting up some good production (which I assume got him promoted), but since he's been with Malkin he's gone ice cold.
When Talbot was playing on the 4th line he was put in a situation where he was playign with guys of equal calibre skill-wise, and the expectations were very clear: play simple, hard-nosed hockey. In that kind of situation someone like Talbot can thrive because he's playing in a situation that best accomodates his playing style. On a line with Malkin he's expected to play at a different standard, next to one of the most skilled players in the world. It's too much of a stretch for someone of Talbot's limited ability.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:25 PM
  #27
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff
 
SuburbanRhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
+ Afternoon games
+ Blue jerseys

What the... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:28 PM
  #28
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,455
vCash: 500
This team is special...

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:37 PM
  #29
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,889
vCash: 500
Pretty much picked them apart today. Thats good.

Their opposition sucked, but they kept their heads after they should have been up by several after the first.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:37 PM
  #30
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff
 
SuburbanRhythm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Great stat just on the radio-

3 straight years, Saturday after Thanksgiving (home) game, Crosby HTs:

11/27/10 vs Calgary (Pens 4-1 win)
11/28/09 vs Rangers (Pens win 8-3)
11/29/08 vs NJ (Pens 4-1 win)

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:42 PM
  #31
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 24,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Great stat just on the radio-

3 straight years, Saturday after Thanksgiving (home) game, Crosby HTs:

11/27/10 vs Calgary (Pens 4-1 win)
11/28/09 vs Rangers (Pens win 8-3)
11/29/08 vs NJ (Pens 4-1 win)
So, he's got the Turkey of hat tricks....

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:55 PM
  #32
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 13,525
vCash: 500
+ Number of shots combined with good defensive play is a great recipe.

+ Letang keeps on keepin' on and his defensive mistakes have eroded to virtually none lately.

+ Crosby. Nothing really needs to be added.

- I didn't think Orpik had a very good game.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:00 PM
  #33
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
When Talbot was playing on the 4th line he was put in a situation where he was playign with guys of equal calibre skill-wise, and the expectations were very clear: play simple, hard-nosed hockey. In that kind of situation someone like Talbot can thrive because he's playing in a situation that best accomodates his playing style. On a line with Malkin he's expected to play at a different standard, next to one of the most skilled players in the world. It's too much of a stretch for someone of Talbot's limited ability.
Exactly. It's stupid to take a guy out of the situation that he is in when he's on a hot streak. Talbot should be a 4th or 3rd line grinder that brings energy and the occasional scoring opportunity to the PK. It made no sense for Byslma to move him to Geno's line again. Although Asham still wasn't getting enough minutes even when he was on the 2nd line. Byslma still put Geno with Sid a lot. It makes me scratch my head with what it takes to 'earn' minutes with our coaching staff sometimes.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:01 PM
  #34
Saku11
Registered User
 
Saku11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,379
vCash: 500
Sid always plays his best games with a blue jersey on. He should wear it all the time..

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:05 PM
  #35
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 78,255
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
So, he's got the Turkey of hat tricks....
He enjoys stuffing teams at this time of the year.

+ Obviously Crosby, my impressions of him weren't dampened and he is firmly my favourite player, his third was a great piece of quick thinking.

+ Consistency in confident performances which will carry the team, looking like a good future.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:10 PM
  #36
Florentino Ariza
Registered User
 
Florentino Ariza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
So I guess now that the team is playing phenomenally well, Bylsma should get some credit, right?

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:16 PM
  #37
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 13,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
So I guess now that the team is playing phenomenally well, Bylsma should get some credit, right?
I think so. I still think he does some things that make no sense, but obviously the PK and the shot totals have been great.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:18 PM
  #38
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,762
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
So I guess now that the team is playing phenomenally well, Bylsma should get some credit, right?
He should get some credit for the team starting to look more organized, but I'm still not a fan of some of his allocation of ice time.

Broken record time, but I'm still not sure why he removed Asham from Malkin's line when the two of them seemed to be doing well together, and now has Asham playing the least minutes of any forward on the club.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
  #39
Florentino Ariza
Registered User
 
Florentino Ariza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
He should get some credit for the team starting to look more organized, but I'm still not a fan of some of his allocation of ice time.

Broken record time, but I'm still not sure why he removed Asham from Malkin's line when the two of them seemed to be doing well together, and now has Asham playing the least minutes of any forward on the club.
Yea, but it's Aaron Asham. We aren't talking about Ilya Kovalchuk or Marian Hossa or Alexander Ovechkin, we're talking about a third or fourth line grinder who has shown a small amount of chemistry with Malkin sometimes. It's not that big of a deal whether or not he gets to play with Malkin. Malkin should be making things happen regardless of which third line player is on his line.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:01 PM
  #40
SaturdayNightSlegr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
This team is special. I said it before and I'll say it again. It may take time, but IMO barring major injuries they will evolve into one of the best all around teams in Pens history; mainly due to their rock solid D core, all of whom can skate AND have hockey sense (with/without the puck).

The defensive corps 1-7, in terms of youth/experience balance, offense, defense, special teams play and skating ability is evolving into the one of best in the league. And the best part is, the top 4 is locked up for 4 years. If MAF stops the stoppable shots...we're set.

Kunitz and Dupuis are completely acceptable as first line wingers when they are playing like this. They both excel at the physical and defensive aspects of a game better (or as good as) than any FA sniper winger in their price range could. And their production isn't really that bad - Ryder, Kovalev, and Dupuis each scored 18 goals last year; guess who provides the most bang for the buck? And Duper isn't useless when he's not scoring.

Asham's lack of playing time sucks. But the only place to put in him this point is on the 2nd line in play of Talbot or Cooke; since the 1st and 3rd lines are playing so well. He does seem to have some even strength chemistry with Malkin though...

SaturdayNightSlegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
  #41
Mooslan
Registered User
 
Mooslan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
This game really showed off our awesome group of defensemen. They were all fantastic, maybe not so much for Gogo, but as a whole ++.

Sid was Sid.

Mooslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:08 PM
  #42
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post

- I didn't think Orpik had a very good game.
He did lead the team in ice time with 24:03 and had 2 assist.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:16 PM
  #43
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,860
vCash: 4792
Everyone talks about how Lovejoy is that much better then Engelland defensively but i don't see it, Engelland had 6 blocked shots today! I think he needs to be our number 6 Dman and give Lovejoy the occasional game against teams with no tough guys in there lineup. Since training camp Engelland has come along ways and he is becoming not just a tough guy but a decent defender. He does make mistakes but so does Lovejoy.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
  #44
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 17,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdayNightSlegr View Post
This team is special. I said it before and I'll say it again. It may take time, but IMO barring major injuries they will evolve into one of the best all around teams in Pens history; mainly due to their rock solid D core, all of whom can skate AND have hockey sense (with/without the puck).

The defensive corps 1-7, in terms of youth/experience balance, offense, defense, special teams play and skating ability is evolving into the one of best in the league. And the best part is, the top 4 is locked up for 4 years. If MAF stops the stoppable shots...we're set.

Kunitz and Dupuis are completely acceptable as first line wingers when they are playing like this. They both excel at the physical and defensive aspects of a game better (or as good as) than any FA sniper winger in their price range could. And their production isn't really that bad - Ryder, Kovalev, and Dupuis each scored 18 goals last year; guess who provides the most bang for the buck? And Duper isn't useless when he's not scoring.

Asham's lack of playing time sucks. But the only place to put in him this point is on the 2nd line in play of Talbot or Cooke; since the 1st and 3rd lines are playing so well. He does seem to have some even strength chemistry with Malkin though...
Well, we're gonna get killed by the Rangers now.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 05:31 PM
  #45
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,346
vCash: 500
+ Engelland - We have our number 6 d-man.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:08 PM
  #46
Gold Diamond
Dey Soff
 
Gold Diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coatesville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,174
vCash: 500
What an awesome game to attend. Kipper stood on his head in the First, otherwise we'd have 7 goals easy.

Gold Diamond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
  #47
Eli Cash
Registered User
 
Eli Cash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
Has anyone else noticed how Engelland is blocking shots now? He's definitely been getting some lessons from Michalek. He's been doing the signature down-on-one-knee block and clear that Michalek does so effectively.

I saw two kids at the game wearing Engelland jerseys as well. He's catching on!

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:17 PM
  #48
StreakingRed
#unsustainable
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,554
vCash: 500
Congrats on the win. Domination by the Penguins.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 06:20 PM
  #49
TopShelfGoal
Registered User
 
TopShelfGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sayre, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
I can't believe how much Engelland has surprised everyone. From that poll earlier before the season started, Lovejoy was the favorite and most people thought he deserved the #6 position. Crazy how that changed.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 07:00 PM
  #50
BrookswasHere44
Registered User
 
BrookswasHere44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
Eng - Welcome to the normal lineups

Orpik - Love you man beast

Letang - Love his play, being alot more physical and throwing up points like crazy

Asham - Showing HCDB whats up!! You wanna throw me in 4th line and play me once every never...ill show ill still produce for this team...love the pick up

Connor - Very impressed with midget man

My only real minus on the entire game is as per usual Errey and his side kick.

More importantly my big minus goes to Ashams cute hair piece holder thingy we was wearing during intermission interview

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.