HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Flames vs. Pens (11.27.10)

Old
11-27-2010, 02:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Cole's Plus/Minus: Flames vs. Pens (11.27.10)

Plus

+ Confidence: This team is running on all cylinders and the overall confidence of this team couldn't be higher. It's rare that you see a team start off so poorly and immediately find a rhythm and explode. Yes, our roster is better than a lot of us were complaining about, but a switch just can't be flipped that easily. That's an amazing turn around and I think it all stems from confidence (and good goaltending).

+ Brent Johnson: This could be very scary if BJ keeps his consistency up AND Fleury plays well, too. That would basically give us two #1 goalies to have each game.

+ Deryk Engelland: The guy is no longer just a good fighter in this league. He's also a solid #6 defender. I am very happy to see Deryk take it upon himself to better his overall game instead of fighting to keep a roster spot. He's very decisive with what he wants to do. He doesn't try to play outside of his ability. Simplicity and consistency will make him a very good third pairing defender.

+ Conner/Letestu/TK: This line is on fire. They have great chemistry and know exactly where one another are. Anytime the puck is turned over, they are immediately in the defensive zone. If Letestu can learn a bit defensively from Staal, this could very well be our shut-down line. They will have to grow defesively to be a great third line, but hopefully it can happen. That gives Geno someone to play with in Cooke and Staal.

+ Kunitz: He's starting to look like a top 6 winger instead of a grinder. In the last couple games, he's shown a lot of confidence in his hands and passing ability in tight spaces. That's what separates a grinder and a real top six winger - being able to create.

+ Sidney Crosby: Okay, this is getting old trying to come up with new descriptions on how well he played. He's playing amazing hockey. It's as simple as that. Instead of boring you with the normal write-up, I have to mention his faceoffs in the offensive zone on the powerplay were incredible. He won almost all of them and that's the difference of getting set up or losing a good 10-15 seconds trying to even get back into their zone. That ability could really change a game with a key faceoff win.

+ Craig Adams: This guy is more valuable to our team than we know it. I think Zippo and Chitown were the first guys to tell us this when we originally picked him off waivers. He's playing great hockey and is our best fourth liner. I'd take Craig Adams over Rupp, Comrie, Asham, or any other WBS kid as of right now. He makes the smart play and sacrifices his body to help the team. His hard work can not go unnoticed.

+ PK: It's just ridiculous right now. Big Z, Orpik, Letang, Adams, Dupuis, Talbot, Cooke... they are all playing perfect. One thing to watch is that we have three styles of the PK. We go from an expanded box to a closed/tight box to a diamond (if the opposing team goes umbrella). I'm saying the word to much, but it's amazing that the group works together as a unit and doesn't get screwed up when movement occurs.

Minus

Nothing.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Adams is a keypart to our insanely good PK. Food for thought.\

Nothing else really to add, except with that brain fart at the end of the 3rd, I thought Malkin played a pretty good game and just didn't end up on the score sheet. He was instrumental in setting up Sid's goal on the PP.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:47 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
+ Crosby in all 3 zones

- Crosby in the mustache zone

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:47 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I'd like to give individual praise to Asham as well. Whether he's playing with Geno on the 2nd line, or on the 4th line with Rupp and Adams, the guy is just playing solid hockey over all. He doesn't handle the puck like it's a grenade, makes smart, simple plays, and has a bullet of a shot. Solid pick up in my mind!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Dacks

Nothing to add to that, except maybe

+ Sid finally scoring an empty netter
- Really wanted Johnson to get the SO

But that's the best I've felt watching the Pens play in about 12 months. Great hockey.

Dacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'll add the only minus.

- Johnson deserved the shut out

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:50 PM
bradshaw06

saw this in another thread, but If Crosby hadn't missed the penalty shot, he could have had ES, PP, SH, PS, and EN goals all in the same game.

bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Confidence: This team is running on all cylinders and the overall confidence of this team couldn't be higher. It's rare that you see a team start off so poorly and immediately find a rhythm and explode. Yes, our roster is better than a lot of us were complaining about, but a switch just can't be flipped that easily. That's an amazing turn around and I think it all stems from confidence (and good goaltending).

+ Brent Johnson: This could be very scary if BJ keeps his consistency up AND Fleury plays well, too. That would basically give us two #1 goalies to have each game.

+ Deryk Engelland: The guy is no longer just a good fighter in this league. He's also a solid #6 defender. I am very happy to see Deryk take it upon himself to better his overall game instead of fighting to keep a roster spot. He's very decisive with what he wants to do. He doesn't try to play outside of his ability. Simplicity and consistency will make him a very good third pairing defender.

+ Conner/Letestu/TK: This line is on fire. They have great chemistry and know exactly where one another are. Anytime the puck is turned over, they are immediately in the defensive zone. If Letestu can learn a bit defensively from Staal, this could very well be our shut-down line. They will have to grow defesively to be a great third line, but hopefully it can happen. That gives Geno someone to play with in Cooke and Staal.

+ Kunitz: He's starting to look like a top 6 winger instead of a grinder. In the last couple games, he's shown a lot of confidence in his hands and passing ability in tight spaces. That's what separates a grinder and a real top six winger - being able to create.

+ Sidney Crosby: Okay, this is getting old trying to come up with new descriptions on how well he played. He's playing amazing hockey. It's as simple as that. Instead of boring you with the normal write-up, I have to mention his faceoffs in the offensive zone on the powerplay were incredible. He won almost all of them and that's the difference of getting set up or losing a good 10-15 seconds trying to even get back into their zone. That ability could really change a game with a key faceoff win.

+ Craig Adams: This guy is more valuable to our team than we know it. I think Zippo and Chitown were the first guys to tell us this when we originally picked him off waivers. He's playing great hockey and is our best fourth liner. I'd take Craig Adams over Rupp, Comrie, Asham, or any other WBS kid as of right now. He makes the smart play and sacrifices his body to help the team. His hard work can not go unnoticed.

+ PK: It's just ridiculous right now. Big Z, Orpik, Letang, Adams, Talbot, Cooke... they are all playing perfect. One thing to watch is that we have three styles of the PK. We go from an expanded box to a closed/tight box to a diamond (if the opposing team goes umbrella). I'm saying the word to much, but it's amazing that the group works together as a unit and doesn't get screwed up when movement occurs.

Minus

Nothing.
It goes to show what kind of character this team has. You'd have better teams implode after what happened against Boston. Add what happened against the Rangers a couple of games later, a lot of teams would have seen their seasons derailed for weeks.

But not these guys.

Out of our pluggers, I want to see Adams and Asham signed 1A and 1B. Adams brings it EVERY time, and you can tell that the guy's just grateful to be a professional hockey player and plays like it despite minimum skill.

I can live with the last 5 minutes. The puck's 6 inches from getting out of the zone, hits our own player and takes a perfect bounce. The rest was just human nature and have no problem with it, especially the way they dominated the previous 55 minutes.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Dupree13

Minus to the Talbot-Malkin-Cooke line. That line hasn't done **** since it's been together.

Malkin needs to get back with Asham. I would love to know why DB broke up that pair in the first place.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:57 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Minus to the Talbot-Malkin-Cooke line. That line hasn't done **** since it's been together.

Malkin needs to get back with Asham. I would love to know why DB broke up that pair in the first place.
Because people overrate the "chemistry" that Malkin apparently has with Talbot. It worked in 09 because we had no choice. As far as I'm concerned, Talbot should only be playing 2nd line minutes on OCCASSION, and not full time. I too agree that Asham and Geno seemed to compliment each other well.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:58 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
saw this in another thread, but If Crosby hadn't missed the penalty shot, he could have had ES, PP, SH, PS, and EN goals all in the same game.
Yeah but if he would have scored on the penalty shot we would have been up 4-1 and the Flames aren't gonna pull the goalie when they're 3 goals down.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:59 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
- Crosby in the mustache zone
I said it in another thread, but it bears repeating:

The trash stash >>>>>>> the Brotee

Seriously. If that's what it takes to eliminate the fuzzy chinstrap from the NHL, I'm all for it. You gotta fight fire with fire, sometimes.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:00 PM
bradshaw06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Yeah but if he would have scored on the penalty shot we would have been up 4-1 and the Flames aren't gonna pull the goalie when they're 3 goals down.
this is true.

bradshaw06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Adams is making me eat my words from early on in the season.

He's been very valuable to this team in Staal's absence.

Also, impossible as a Pens fan not to be happy after watching a game like that. Now to celebrate...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:04 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:

This has pissed me off. Asham has the most skill (that term is used loosely in this situation) out of our grinders and looked good with Geno. DB's decision? Break them up and give Asham 8 minutes a night.

I like how our team is playing right now but our coach is still an idiot. Is Asham the answer to our wing problems? Good God no! But is he good enough to not look like a bumbling incompetent playing with Malkin? Yes he is.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Nakawick

+ Tanger 3 assists and now tied with Geno for 2nd most pts on the team.

Nakawick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Because people overrate the "chemistry" that Malkin apparently has with Talbot. It worked in 09 because we had no choice. As far as I'm concerned, Talbot should only be playing 2nd line minutes on OCCASSION, and not full time. I too agree that Asham and Geno seemed to compliment each other well.
I agree with this entirely. People feel like just because they played together for an extended period of time that they have some type of psychic chemistry. I'd much rather have the line be Cooke-Malkin-Asham.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
This has pissed me off. Asham has the most skill (that term is used loosely in this situation) out of our grinders and looked good with Geno. DB's decision? Break them up and give Asham 8 minutes a night.

I like how our team is playing right now but our coach is still an idiot. Is Asham the answer to our wing problems? Good God no! But is he good enough to not look like a bumbling incompetent playing with Malkin? Yes he is.
Other than moving Talbot up to take faceoffs, I agree it doesn't make sense.

Cooke or Asham might be able to match Max's 40%...and still be better Malkin's 35%.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
+Sid. Three goals, three different ways (PP, ES, SH). He's playing at a higher level right now.

+Team defense. I really think the defensive unit is starting to slide into their respective roles, and are becoming familiar with one another. The Michalek/Martin pair, especially, is turning into such a gem defensively, and surprisingly, is also looking good in the transition game.

+Brent Johnson. Didn't have to make many saves today, but made key ones just to keep the Flames from gaining any sort of momentum.

+PK. It's been absolutely ridiculous for the Pens. Tops in the NHL without Staal? I think a large part of the credit for this has to go to the improvement in the goalie situation (Fleury), as well as Michalek starting to get into a groove.

+Asham. Hey, I'm going to keep pimping him until he stops being used the least among the forwards. But seriously, his opening goal got the ball rolling, and overall he plays a physical game and contributes now and then with a point. Can't ask for much more from him.

I'm not going to bother with a minus today. There really wasn't anyone today that was bad. Some might have just been OK, but overall, I can't find too much fault with anything or anyone today.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Dupree13

Quote:

Furthermore, Cooke hasn't been noticeable at all since being placed with Malkin. Obviously that's not a good fit for him either.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:17 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:

I mentioned this in the GDT, but Asham managed to get 4 shots on goal in just over 6 minutes of ice time going into the 3rd period. That's pretty amazing for a guy playing 4th line minutes. He shows that he's not afraid to carry the puck up ice, and loves to put pucks to the net himself. I would honestly hold him to the same standard as Cooke right now in the sense that yes, he is first and foremost a bottom 6 role player, but he also is capable of bringing some skill to the fold as well.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:18 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Furthermore, Cooke hasn't been noticeable at all since being placed with Malkin. Obviously that's not a good fit for him either.
But he was when Asham was there.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

+ Afternoon games
+ Blue jerseys

What the... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
But he was when Asham was there.
That's true. It's also funny that Talbot was actually putting up some good production (which I assume got him promoted), but since he's been with Malkin he's gone ice cold.

Old
11-27-2010, 03:22 PM
NastyNick

+Third line. Impressive puck control. This line does seem to generate more consistent off the cycle then any other line in the DB era, even more so than Staal-Cooke-Kennedy.

+Crosby. best player in the NHL. It isn't close. Hes not a guy whose excelling at one facet of the game, he doing it everywhere. Winning faceoffs on the PK, cleaning up his own end time after time.. and scoring more points than everyone else on top of it. Hes amazing. I'd say offense and defense-wise, his game is at the level of Mario's. He isn't the same force offensively, but he makes up the difference by being great in his own end. Only Pens fans are really paying attention to this though, which is a shame.

+Penalty Kill. This has sparked the team to this winning streak. It has made our goalies look really good at least.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote