HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Bill Daly's comment on the Atlanta Thrashers

Old
11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
Wow, Ottawa is in the elite tier now with Montreal and Philly behind them. Yet there is a whole thread here with ongoing discussion of the problems with Ottawa's attendance. Only at the BOH boards.

GHOST
Umm buddy, I suggest you go on over and look at the attendance percentage for Ottawa. Because it's better than Montreal and Philly.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:21 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
Umm buddy, I suggest you go on over and look at the attendance percentage for Ottawa. Because it's better than Montreal and Philly.

Montreal operates at 105% of capacity... in the arena with the most seats... try again.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:33 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted View Post
Relax, I find it funny that so many fellow Canadians get PO'd so easily that is actually appears that we fear hockey will grow in the USA too much taking away our superiority in the game. We seem insecure and bitter.

BTW, been to Jets games, and don't be shocked... but I sat beside empty seats, and a Native couple who had been given freebies, yet reading here apparently there are 15,000 Winnipeg folks willing to shell out for $50 dollar tickets, $7 dollar beer and $5 dollar hot dogs.

Sorry, don't buy the exaggerations posted here....but hope Winnipeg
gets a team and folks can empty their wallets to backup these wild claims.
pretty sure there are not that many canadians worried about the game becoming so popular in the south that it gets taken away from us....i think you are seeing frustration from the NHL flogging dead horses.

not sure what your point about going to a game in winnipeg 2 decades ago is, but i for one look forward to the opportunity of showing you just how wild our claims are....i think you be surprised to find out what winnipeg has become.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Finlandia WOAT
bench Famous Jameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
pretty sure there are not that many canadians worried about the game becoming so popular in the south that it gets takes away from us....i think you are seeing frustration from the NHL flogging dead horses.

not sure what your point about going to a game in winnipeg 20 years ago is, but i for one look forward to the opportunity that you present.
I'll bite.

Exactly how does having franchises south of the Mason-Dixon Line hurt hockey in Canada? IIRC, the sport is played by 80% of the youth there. You produce star after surefire star each draft. How does hockey in Florida or North Carolina hurt hockey in Ontario?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:49 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

^ it doesnt at all...

my point was that canadians who live and breathe hockey in cities without NHL calibre teams (winnipeg, hamilton, QC, toronto) are frustrated to see southern cities with teams treat them with complete indifference....yet the NHL fights to the death to maintain them.

Old
11-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
^ it doesnt at all...

my point was that canadians who live and breathe hockey in cities without NHL calibre teams (winnipeg, hamilton, QC, toronto) are frustrated to see southern cities with teams treat them with complete indifference....yet the NHL fights to the death to maintain them.
For the purpose of a national TV contract, and the money it brings.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:13 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

^ yeah, i know....i heard that in 1995.....so....how's that going anyways?...should kick in any time now i guess.

seems they have actually gone backwards in that effort.

the largest national TV contract the NHL has is north of the border and games always include at least one canadian franchise.....maybe that's the revenue stream they should be trying to maximize.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 11-29-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old
11-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Thrashers attendance is awful because the franchise has been a joke for its entire history. Location plays a factor in converting hockey fans, but sunbelt teams have succeeded in the past. What the Thrashers need is some legitimacy... a decent playoff run will go a long way.

Also, the location of Philips Arena is fine. There's ample parking and a MARTA station right outside.

This is one of the stupidest posts I've seen on HF.
The location of the Arena is not fine. If you think I'm wrong, Daly and loads of Atlanta fans agree with me. There's parking and a MARTA station, indeed...so how do guys that get off work 20-30 miles away at 5pm in one of the top ten worst traffic areas in the country get their family to the rink for a game by 7pm? And how does he get them home before 11pm for school the next day? At the ECHL rink in Gwinnett, the place is filled at faceoff. At Philips, it's never even half full in the first ten minutes of the first period even when it does end up having good attendance. Honestly, nobody lives near downtown Atlanta. Sad but true.

As for the demographics, I stand by it. The African American area near the arena is not middle class (middle class African Americans are in the suburbs too). And midtown is just not an athletic friendly area at all. You never see anybody wearing any gear supporting any kind of team. By contrast, in my neighborhood six miles east of Philips, there is a large gay population that is sports-friendly...but that side of town isn't marketed at all. Lots of Braves and Falcons fans (and northern transplants) but there is little buzz about The Thrashers outside of a few establishments that are "hockey-friendly" bars.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
^ yeah, i know....i heard that in 1995.....so....how's that going anyways?...should kick in any time now i guess.

seems they have actually gone backwards in that effort.
Well, the current deals with versus and nbc bring in 75 million per year.

We will see in June '11 what the new deals will bring, but I would imagine that it will be north of that considering that ratings are improving for versus and nbc for the playoffs.

You can't get the deal without the infrastructure in place.

Old
11-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Magnus Fulgur

I don't know what Rhodes 81 is talking about re: MARTA. I take it to the games 90% of the time and it's great. 30 minutes from my home to my seats and I've never had a problem with anybody. Clean and fast. I had way more problems in my past life as a Bruins' fan on the MBTA. Waaaaaaay more problems of every kind!

Old
11-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
The location of the Arena is not fine. If you think I'm wrong, Daly and loads of Atlanta fans agree with me. There's parking and a MARTA station, indeed...so how do guys that get off work 20-30 miles away at 5pm in one of the top ten worst traffic areas in the country get their family to the rink for a game by 7pm? And how does he get them home before 11pm for school the next day? At the ECHL rink in Gwinnett, the place is filled at faceoff. At Philips, it's never even half full in the first ten minutes of the first period even when it does end up having good attendance. Honestly, nobody lives near downtown Atlanta. Sad but true.

As for the demographics, I stand by it. The African American area near the arena is not middle class (middle class African Americans are in the suburbs too). And midtown is just not an athletic friendly area at all. You never see anybody wearing any gear supporting any kind of team. By contrast, in my neighborhood six miles east of Philips, there is a large gay population that is sports-friendly...but that side of town isn't marketed at all. Lots of Braves and Falcons fans (and northern transplants) but there is little buzz about The Thrashers outside of a few establishments that are "hockey-friendly" bars.
Right on about the rink. Anyone that doesn't agree probably hasn't been to Philips for a 7 pm weekday game.

On the demographics, you can't really paint midtown with such a broad stroke, but in general, your post is an accurate assessment of the situation no matter how ignorant some people think it is. The makeup of the crowd at a Hawks game much more closely resembles the demographics of the area around the arena compared to a Thrashers game.

Old
11-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Yeah, I know I'm painting Midtown with a broad stroke, but the comparison to say Decatur or East Atlanta is striking. I was generalizing about Midtown to paint a clearer picture to those here that don't know it.

One other thing about Midtown (which is not a generalization) is that outside of Virginia-Highland it feels like a "Kid-Free-Zone". When ever I'm there with my toddler people look at us like we're disgusting breeder freaks, whereas everywhere else in Atlanta people comment on how cute my kid is!

Old
11-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenintheATL View Post
You really cannot pin this on the owners. Pin the bulk of the blame on the guys in the scheduling department of the NHL. All that the Thrashers have to do with the schedule is to submit to the league all available dates at Philips Arena during the months that the NHL season runs through. The schedule makers don't take into account neighboring events that may conflict with the game when they put out the schedule. Even if the game today had been a 7 PM game, there still would have been some overlap in terms of parking.
I remember a few years back when the Grey Cup was in Vancouver at BC Place. There a Canucks game was scheduled at that time at GM Place (now Rogers Arena). The two venues are literally right next door to each other. The Canucks attempted to get the time/date changed and the NHL said no.

Old
11-29-2010, 01:14 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Right on about the rink. Anyone that doesn't agree probably hasn't been to Philips for a 7 pm weekday game.
The location is fine. And I have been there for 7PM games. Several times.

It's a central location. Take MARTA, and you get there real quick.

Enough of the fallacies. The major problem with the Thrashers is the inept marketing. The idiots have decided that anyplace south of I-20 isn't worth spending money on. Nevermind the fact that about half of the population lives south of the city. If this team can ever be marketed properly, they should get loads of fan support.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:20 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I remember a few years back when the Grey Cup was in Vancouver at BC Place. There a Canucks game was scheduled at that time at GM Place (now Rogers Arena). The two venues are literally right next door to each other. The Canucks attempted to get the time/date changed and the NHL said no.
just for the record, this never actually happened.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
The location is fine. And I have been there for 7PM games. Several times.

It's a central location. Take MARTA, and you get there real quick.

Enough of the fallacies. The major problem with the Thrashers is the inept marketing. The idiots have decided that anyplace south of I-20 isn't worth spending money on. Nevermind the fact that about half of the population lives south of the city. If this team can ever be marketed properly, they should get loads of fan support.
Mmm Hmm. Speaking of fallacies, I'm sure that after 10 years of existence that no one south of 20 is even aware that Atlanta has a hockey team!!! Do they have internetz and tv's in that southern Siberia?? I'm sure that if the Thrashers sent out some magnet schedules for the fridge, Philips would be at standing room only for every home game.

I guess the marketing juggernaut known as the Gwinnett Gladiators should give the Thrashers a lesson or two on marketing since they are routinely in the top 5 of E attendance, drawing around 5500 a game. Or maybe its because they play in an arena that doesn't have the massive traffic issues that the downtown location does, as well as a higher level of perceived safety around the arena coupled with ease of parking.

A couple of weeks ago, the Thrashers were actually selling 400 level seats for $1 to a game via their facebook page, and still couldn't get rid of those. Plenty available at gametime. People just don't want to screw with the issues downtown, plain and simple. Not everyone wants to ride MARTA either.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:07 AM
blasted

Quote:
pretty sure there are not that many canadians worried about the game becoming so popular in the south that it gets taken away from us....i think you are seeing frustration from the NHL flogging dead horses.

not sure what your point about going to a game in winnipeg 2 decades ago is, but i for one look forward to the opportunity of showing you just how wild our claims are....i think you be surprised to find out what winnipeg has become.
I think you'll find that it's easier to speak with your keyboard than with your wallet. The fictional idea of 15,000 Winnipeggers buying $50 Jet tickets, $7 beer and $5 Hot dogs is just wishful thinking.

History shows that enough of us couldn't afford Jet tickets years ago, now we can afford to pay 5 times the amount?

A franchise survives in Winnipeg only if an owner is willing to lose money.....which is great, cept if it's an American team losing money it freaks us insecure Canucks out...

blasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

he didnt really say anything that isnt common knowledge. a little winning will make all this crap go away

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 08:43 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
he didnt really say anything that isnt common knowledge. a little winning will make all this crap go away
Psssst. I don't know if you noticed this or not but they're winning and attendance is down from last year. See the below link.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t....aspx?team=147

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
wjhl2009fan

GHOSTofMAROONSroad
There is no attendance probleams in ottawa well atleast not much as some seem to think.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Fidel Astro

vCash: 148
I'm not buying any of these excuses.

I've never been to Atlanta, but it just seems like some people there are coming up with excuses for their excuses.

The arena is in a bad location.
Why? In almost every other city, people have been complaining about arenas not being downtown. It sounds like yours actually is in a central location.
Well, most of the white people live in the suburbs.
OK, if we ignore your ridiculous assumption that only white people like hockey, why can't they leave the suburbs and venture into the city to attend games.
They would, but, you know, traffic is bad, so no one wants to do it.
What about the transit system? I hear it can get you right to the arena.
Yeah, but the transit system is kind of unpleasant.

...and on and on.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
I'm not buying any of these excuses.

I've never been to Atlanta, but it just seems like some people there are coming up with excuses for their excuses.

The arena is in a bad location.
Why? In almost every other city, people have been complaining about arenas not being downtown. It sounds like yours actually is in a central location.
Well, most of the white people live in the suburbs.
OK, if we ignore your ridiculous assumption that only white people like hockey, why can't they leave the suburbs and venture into the city to attend games.
They would, but, you know, traffic is bad, so no one wants to do it.
What about the transit system? I hear it can get you right to the arena.
Yeah, but the transit system is kind of unpleasant.

...and on and on.
I can understand to a point the lack of attendance but at some point people have to step up and support the team.

Old
11-29-2010, 09:46 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Chiefs View Post
Psssst. I don't know if you noticed this or not but they're winning and attendance is down from last year. See the below link.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t....aspx?team=147
Really?

Do you really believe your own words?

It takes months to years of winning to turn it around. If you think a five game winning streak lights up this city, then you are completely and totally clueless.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:50 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Really?

Do you really believe your own words?

It takes months to years of winning to turn it around. If you think a five game winning streak lights up this city, then you are completely and totally clueless.
So if they avg 2000 a game you see that is not big deal if so wow.

Old
11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Sweet! Another thread where the same people debate about moving the Thrashers!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote