HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Whose eating crow first

Old
11-28-2010, 09:52 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
Whose eating crow first

Last year many of the Habs fans on this board thought that the signing of Pierre Gauthier as GM was a terrible move. Many thought he had little too no experience as a GM and wouldn't fit, wanting Stevie Y instead.

From then on Every move was criticized

Moore for a 2nd rounder: Moore went on to help us on one of our most successful playoff runs in years.
Signing of Jeff Halpern Halpern is a big reason we win faceoffs in the defensive zone, he's helped us with our PK, he's helped us with goal scoring and when only plekky's line was scoring earlier in the season he stepped up and gave us the ability to win.
halak or priceThe move that will define his tenure is looking pretty good right now, while Eller is finally looking like he is coming into his own, the points will come with time
Bournival for O'byrne Obviously too early to tell with this one But i do like the fact that we are now starting to seriously try to amass prospects when players aren't fitting into our system.

honestly many have criticized his every move and if anything he's been pretty well spot on over the last little while

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:01 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Re-signing Plekanec to a long-term contract and NOT signing Fischer and getting a 2nd rounder were also a couple nice moves by Gauthier. Also I was expecting Picard to be terrible defensively but he's been a very good pickup.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:16 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

To this point, I'd still like to have Moore. A line of Pyatt-Moore-Lappy would be gold again.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:17 AM
E = CH²

I was a bit jaded and felt it would be more of what we saw under Gainey when PG took over but I was waiting for him to put his stamp on the team.

Hated the Moore deal because at the time the habs were not sure at all to make the playoffs and I hated giving away such a high pick for a rental 3rd liner. To be fair, no one could have predicted that Halak would stand on his head like that. That made the Moore trade a good one. But if Halak hadn't been as good, we'd have wasted a 2nd round pick on Moore really. Not a huge deal, but still...

Hated the Halak trade because I felt Halak was the better goalie. I felt that Halak had shown he could handle the playoffs in Montreal and was more of a sure bet.

As for eating crow, it's still early.. BTW I was saying it's early back when Halak had only played 10 games and had godly stats as well. I want to see Price play well in the playoffs. And I want to see a full season of Halak in St-Louis before I say anything more.

It's looking good for Gauthier so far though.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:20 AM
coolasprICE

Pierre McGuire is eating tons of Crow

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:27 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I supported the trade for Moore from day 1.

I was alright with the Halpern signing.

I was unsure of the Halak-Price choice, I was more of a Halak supporter. I as proven wrong *so far*, want a trophy?

The Bournival for O'Byrne trade? I don't mind the trade but Bournival likely won't play in the NHL for atleast several seasons... Let's cool our jets here. I support the trade for simple fact it didn't seem O'B would play another game with us, and we seemed to get a pretty good prospect out of it.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:32 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Many thought he had little too no experience as a GM and wouldn't fit, wanting Stevie Y instead.

lol. little to no experience as a GM wanting Stevie Y who had even less experience (none)? That's not the reason people did not want him as GM...it was his past record in trades. if your going to make people eat crow then also concentrate on the bad moves he made because not everything he's done has been gold. How do you explain that half the GMs were surprised halak was traded? That means he didn't talk to them and if you want the most for an asset you make sure you get as many buyers know about it as possible. Yes he's made some good moves...but he's made bad moves as well.

As for cirticizing his every moves...i hate to break it to you but no matter the gm there is always someone criticizing moves...just like there will always be someone who agrees with a move no matter how absurd a move might seem to someone else.

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:44 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Re-signing Plekanec to a long-term contract and NOT signing Fischer and getting a 2nd rounder were also a couple nice moves by Gauthier. Also I was expecting Picard to be terrible defensively but he's been a very good pickup.
The Plekanec contract is looking better and better everyday.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:48 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
The Plekanec contract is looking better and better everyday.
Great signing.

To think people didn't want him signed for more then 4-4.5M.. Crazy!

Argument could be made he's our best player, the only argument being Price or Markov.

Old
11-28-2010, 10:51 AM
HCH

You can add in Palushaj for D'Agostini.

The thing I like about Gauthier is that he seems to keep an eye on the salary cap, waiver eligibility and other factors that keep the roster flexible and the farm system well stocked. He also seems to be willing to keep the lines of communication with agents open much more than Gainey and that may have helped in the signing of Pleks.

It's not all about immediate improvement (although that would be nice), it's also about asset management.

We would have lost D'Ago to the waiver wire, we could have lost O'Byrne to waivers, Picard was a nice addition, so was Halpern. I didn't want to lose Moore but we can't keep everyone.

As for the Halak trade, we can argue about that until the next ice age, but no one knows if we could have done better in a trade or not, and that includes Pierre MacGuire. There were a lot of good goaltenders without jobs at the end of the year and while we may have done better, we could have done a lot worse.

I have a lot of confidence in Gauthier.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:55 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
To think people didn't want him signed for more then 4-4.5M.. Crazy!
Why is it crazy? It was less crazy than signing him for $6m at the time.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 10:58 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Why is it crazy? It was less crazy than signing him for $6m at the time.
It's crazy that people couldn't see how good he was. There we're folks that wanted us to walk away from him if the cap hit was larger than 4.5M. That's absurd.

Would you rather one-dimensional Ribeiro at 5M or Plekanec at 5M?

He's our most complete forward and he is tied with Gionta for 3rd highest cap hit amongst the forwards. That's a pretty good signing.

Old
11-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I wonder how much impact Gainey had on these moves.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I wonder how much impact Gainey had on these moves.
I think he had a considerable impact and probably still does. Gauthier's a smart guy, just like all GM's are, (some smarter than others) but having a guy like Gainey to help give a second opinion is probably really helpful.

We have two capable GMs making decisions for the team.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
To this point, I'd still like to have Moore. A line of Pyatt-Moore-Lappy would be gold again.
The PHD line is much, much better. Halpern is also better at Faceoffs.
Seeing how you always bring up Pyatt's shorthanded ice time, and how him leading makes him important (I agree btw), then I think you should feel the same way about Halpern that only plays 11sec less than Pyatt on the PK. He plays about 1:15 more there than Moore.

Halpern is a small improvement over Moore. A small one, but it's still one nonetheless.

I wouldn't want Moore to be here over Eller, this kid is learning and is doing it well imo. Then we have Gomez/Plek, so really, we improved by getting Halpern and there's no extra room to fit Moore in.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

The real genius in trading Halak was the act itself instilled confidence in Price.

Gautier is looking like a good one.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I think he had a considerable impact and probably still does. Gauthier's a smart guy, just like all GM's are, (some smarter than others) but having a guy like Gainey to help give a second opinion is probably really helpful.

We have two capable GMs making decisions for the team.
We always had that. Gauthier was Gainey's assistant before. What changed now is who has the final say and I believe Gauthier has a different approach on things.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM
HABitual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
You can add in Palushaj for D'Agostini.

The thing I like about Gauthier is that he seems to keep an eye on the salary cap, waiver eligibility and other factors that keep the roster flexible and the farm system well stocked. He also seems to be willing to keep the lines of communication with agents open much more than Gainey and that may have helped in the signing of Pleks.

It's not all about immediate improvement (although that would be nice), it's also about asset management.

We would have lost D'Ago to the waiver wire, we could have lost O'Byrne to waivers, Picard was a nice addition, so was Halpern. I didn't want to lose Moore but we can't keep everyone.

As for the Halak trade, we can argue about that until the next ice age, but no one knows if we could have done better in a trade or not, and that includes Pierre MacGuire. There were a lot of good goaltenders without jobs at the end of the year and while we may have done better, we could have done a lot worse.

I have a lot of confidence in Gauthier.
I was going to post the same thing about asset management. The other thing that has surprised me is the improved professional scouting under Gauthier, this is a mystery to me, considering this was a weakness under Gainey and Gauthier was the one handling that role.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM
otto bond

I have a problem with post number 4.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
zzoo

I notice one thing: the marginal players that we have traded away have played regularly for the new teams.

D'Agostini --> Mtl: Palusha in Hamilton
Grabovski --> Mtl: ?
Chipchura --> Mtl: a draft ?
Kostitsyn --> Mtl: Boyd
O'Byrne

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I notice one thing: the marginal players that we have traded away have played regularly for the new teams.

O'Byrne
marginal players getting traded to marginal teams

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

O'Byrne
We got a second which turned into Lang for Grabovski. I approve.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:25 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:

O'Byrne
Some guys can't handle the spotlight of Montreal or will not commit to the team concept being preached, Lats fits in to this category as well. Of all those players D'ags is the only player I feel will turn into something, Lats has has to commit to his profession if he wants to succeed as the talent is there.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:26 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Last year many of the Habs fans on this board thought that the signing of Pierre Gauthier as GM was a terrible move. Many thought he had little too no experience as a GM and wouldn't fit, wanting Stevie Y instead.

Moore for a 2nd rounder: Moore went on to help us on one of our most successful playoff runs in years.
Signing of Jeff Halpern Halpern is a big reason we win faceoffs in the defensive zone, he's helped us with our PK, he's helped us with goal scoring and when only plekky's line was scoring earlier in the season he stepped up and gave us the ability to win.
halak or priceThe move that will define his tenure is looking pretty good right now, while Eller is finally looking like he is coming into his own, the points will come with time
Bournival for O'byrne Obviously too early to tell with this one But i do like the fact that we are now starting to seriously try to amass prospects when players aren't fitting into our system.

honestly many have criticized his every move and if anything he's been pretty well spot on over the last little while
Wait until see if we win or not before crowing.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:33 PM
llamateizer

the Halpern signing is great vs Vs Moore

Moore signed 1.1M
Halpern 0.6M
thats 0.5M saved thats alot cause we have around 0.950M cap space

llamateizer is online now   Reply With Quote