HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2011, 03:14 PM
tjs252

vCash: 500
No, they should not be expected to do anything other than be respected in the locker-room by their teammates and on the ice by the referees. That's the only expectation you should have for a captain. That's why the letter's on the jersey. Everything else is collateral and irrelevant to expectations of the team's captain.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
No, they should not be expected to do anything other than be respected in the locker-room by their teammates and on the ice by the referees. That's the only expectation you should have for a captain. That's why the letter's on the jersey. Everything else is collateral and irrelevant to expectations of the team's captain.
Name one captain in the NHL that is not or has never been a big name. Exactly, there are none. Matter of fact, there's only two foward captains in the entire league that have never scored 25 goals; Mikko Koivu who's career high is 22, in a season in which he tallied 71 points, and Andrew Ladd who's probably going to do it this year. You have to have some level of production.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
But isn't the buy-out not as good for cap consideration as the switch: retire, then we give you a personal services contract? With buy out, we have whatever that # is on the cap (I believe variable depending upon when and how much the buy out).

If we bought him out we'd not necessarily hire him as a coach, for any $$.

The point is, is this a proper inducement that will fly by the NHL if both sides agree to it?
If not, why not?
If it is, do we agree this is best hope for course of action (voluntary retirement w/out such inducement not likely)?
If Drury retires we get the entire cap hit back. A player can retire at any time for whatever reason. Naslund did this a couple seasons ago. He walked away from the 2nd year of his two year contract and Naslund wasn't nearly as washed up as Drury is now.

It strikes me that the Rangers could hire him then in another capacity. It strikes me that they could reach some kind of agreement. But that's all conjecture.

Buying him out means we keep a portion of his cap hit for the next two years. Moving him to another team will be something like the scenario that Rangerboy outlines--a salary dump, bury (what you get back in the minors) kind of deal.

What's in it for Drury?--Well he loses money. He's got a lot of that already--you would think anyway that he hasn't spent it all. OTOH he's not going to be embarrassed further by being displaced on the roster by X, Y and Z--which is happening now and likely to continue to happen next year as well. Drury will need to take stock of where he is as a player--whether he thinks he can still perform at an acceptable level. Either way--retire or continue I think his days with this organization are pretty much over. I don't think he can continue as a captain and his status within the framework of the NHL roster is marginal at best and slipping. His importance to the team is not on the ice anymore. His importance resides in the accounting books where he's a write off.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Name one captain in the NHL that is not or has never been a big name. Exactly, there are none. Matter of fact, there's only two foward captains in the entire league that have never scored 25 goals; Mikko Koivu who's career high is 22, in a season in which he tallied 71 points, and Andrew Ladd who's probably going to do it this year. You have to have some level of production.
When Chris Clark was Captain of the Caps, he pretty much had no offensive production... but he also wasn't making 8mm. I can't name any others off the top of my head that sucked as bad as Drury does now. hahaha sad but true.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
When Chris Clark was Captain of the Caps, he pretty much had no offensive production... but he also wasn't making 8mm. I can't name any others off the top of my head that sucked as bad as Drury does now. hahaha sad but true.
Ethan Moreau? errrr that's all I got

Old
01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

yeah Chris Clark is the only guy in recent memory that comes to mind and they traded his ass, lol.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
yeah Chris Clark is the only guy in recent memory that comes to mind and they traded his ass, lol.
Wasn't Tim Taylor the captain of the Lightning for bit?

01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Correct. A 4th liner.

I believe he was the captain from '06-'08... If I'm not mistaken.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Kelly Buchberger is another one that comes to mind.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Top six? Who wants him in the top six? The guy wasn't a top six player in his prime!
Wait so Drury was a 3rd liner his 4 seasons with the Avs?

Old
01-28-2011, 04:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Tim The Tool Man Taylor?

Har-Har-Harrrr

Old
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Drury is by no means Andreychuk, but when Andreychuk was captain of the Lightning, he was only a 30+ point player. Captains don't always have to be offensive juggernauts.

Old
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
parcsalooc

Quote:
Todd Gill

Old
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The Sabres captain is a 3rd pairing dman if I recall.

01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Barry Beck was Captain of the Rangers in the early/mid 80's. Oh wait, he was a defenseman hahaha

Old
01-28-2011, 06:35 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The Sabres captain is a 3rd pairing dman if I recall.
Yeah Rivet's a third pairing guy...if he's in the lineup.

I think he's been a healthy scratch more than he's played this season

Old
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The promising part about this is that Tortorella has given every indication that he doesn't want Drury on the team. I hope that's enough for Drury to voluntarily take his empty stick elsewhere, even home. And for Sather to force him to if he doesn't budge.

Old
01-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll say "No thank you" to Drury as any kind of coach.

Pass.

We have enough coaches.

This thread is dead, it's all been said
That's enough of Captain Drury gettin' in yo head

01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Wait so Drury was a 3rd liner his 4 seasons with the Avs?
I consider his prime his seasons in Buffalo, but if I remember correctly, some of the time in Colorado, he was a third liner. He certainly took a crapload of faceoffs. Other times, he was a winger with Sakic or Forsberg. But do you think that's more because Drury was top six talent, or because he played for a team that had Sakic and Forsberg? Between guys like Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury, Reinprecht, and Deadmarsh, the Avs used to show a lot of different looks.

Old
01-28-2011, 09:54 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
I know what buyouts are but how do they determine how much his pay is reduced to and over how many years it will take to finish?

Old
01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I know what buyouts are but how do they determine how much his pay is reduced to and over how many years it will take to finish?
The buyout cap hit duration is always double the number of the remaining years of the contract... I don't know how the buyout cap hit % for each year is calculated.

Old
01-29-2011, 04:40 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I'll say "No thank you" to Drury as any kind of coach.

Pass.

We have enough coaches.

This thread is dead, it's all been said
That's enough of Captain Drury gettin' in yo head

If he's well liked in the Rangers locker room as some have suggested--anyway never got the idea he wasn't a smart player even if his game has eroded.

Personally I wouldn't give a crap if the Rangers offered him a job on their ice maintenance crew but one thing your post blithely seems to ignore is that there's a difference between buying this guy out and/or trading him as opposed to his retiring. If he retires we don't have to trade for a load of **** we're going to bury in the AHL. And if he retires we won't have any mark down from his cap hit spaced over the next two years. What we will have is $7 mil worth of extra cap space next year which by the way negates the summer cap hit numbers of Wade Redden. Anyway completely off the books is a much better situation than paying for a player who is not going to play for you anyway but still on your payroll.

Old
01-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Name one captain in the NHL that is not or has never been a big name.
Too many people in this thread are discrediting Drury's career. Really, if you're not familiar with those late 90's/early 00's Avalanche teams, you're not qualified to comment on the type of player he used to be.

Old
01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Not saying that I don't want him to retire, I do.

Not saying he isn't a smart player, he is.

Not even saying he wouldn't make a good coach (assistant?) someday, he might.

Just saying I don't want him to coach the Rangers, in any capacity.

We have enough coaches, Just ask Torts.

Old
01-29-2011, 09:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Too many people in this thread are discrediting Drury's career. Really, if you're not familiar with those late 90's/early 00's Avalanche teams, you're not qualified to comment on the type of player he used to be.
Heck, Drury for the 1st two years was a productive player for the Rangers. The decline seemed to coincide with the wrist injury at the end of 2008-9. He got off to a slow start last year, then the concussion from the Glencross hit happened, and he's been on a dramatic decline ever since. I still preferred the Drury signing to the Gomez signing, and its sad to see him fall off so greatly.

Closed Thread