HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2011, 08:32 AM
  #151
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
I'll take a benched Drury over a flustered Drury all day erryday.

I warned you guys that Drury was 13th on the depth chart based on what he can contribute. I mean how could you watch the games and say you wouldnt swap Drury for a healthy Christensen. At least EC could be used with Gabby when things need a shakeup.

MSG the place to be* is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 08:48 AM
  #152
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
give me a million dollars and ill skate out there and fill martys water bottle and tell him hes the best goalie in the world.

no problem.

pretty soon were gonna hear that capt quaalude springs for pizza and soda and does magic after all home games...
Just more of the same nonsense. The team appreciates what he brings to the table. You just can't accept it because he doesn't lead the way you think he should.

Always comes back to the contract in the end. Still nothing original from the other side of the fence.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 09:00 AM
  #153
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Just more of the same nonsense. The team appreciates what he brings to the table. You just can't accept it because he doesn't lead the way you think he should.

Always comes back to the contract in the end. Still nothing original from the other side of the fence.
Here's what it comes down to:

If the difference between getting Brad Richards and not getting him is a buyout of Drury, do you do it?

I do. Nothing against Drury, but adding Richards, even at the expense of buying out Drury, makes us a better team.

If we aren't going after Richards, then there's no reason to buy out Drury.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
  #154
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
My worry is what kind of bad contract are the Rangers going to have to take back to move him? Let's say Drury agrees to waive his NMC, and there is a GM willing to trade for him. Most likely that GM is going to want to send back a bad salary of his own. Unless we are talking about a $5 million or less hit for one year, I'm not sure it's worth making such a deal. You don't want to take back a player with more than a year left on his contract, since, buying out Drury would likely be less of a cap hit.

And, what teams would Drury likely to approve a deal to? Colorado, LA, Anaheim and SJ, perhaps?

I do agree that I'm not sure Drury has a role on this team anymore. The leadership role has been passed, and even on the PK, Dubinsky, Boyle, Prust and (when he returns) Callahan would all rank ahead of Drury. He's not getting PP time, and he really doesn't fit on any particular line. I'm just not sure what the resolution of this problem is going forward.
Which bad contract has Sather taken back in any the contracts dumped by Sather? He has not included a prospect or a pick to dump a contract. We are not talking about Lou here who forked over a #1 pick to move Vlad Malakhov's contract when SJ didn't have to pay the player a dime.

Cullen had 3 years remaining at nearly $3M per. $2.875M in salaries all 3 years. Cullen signed for 4 years/$11.5M with the Rangers in 2006. Andrew Hutchinson,Joe Barnes and 3rd round pick in 2008(Evgeny Grachev).

Gomez had 5 years remaining for a total amount remaining of $33.5M. 7 years/$51.5M. Gomez,Tom Pyatt and Mike Busto for Chris Higgins,Ryan McDonagh,Pavel Valentenko and Doug Janik. Higgins signed a 1 year/$2.25M contract.

Ales Kotalik was traded 1/2 through his 1st season with the Rangers after signing a 3 year/$9M deal. Kotalik and Higgins for Olli Jokinen and Brandon Prust.

Donald Brashear signed a 2 year 35+ contract worth $2.8M. $200K signing bonus. $1.3M in salaries. $1.4M cap. Brashear and Pat Rissmiller for Todd White. Rangers dumped a 35+ contract and unloaded Rissmiller. Rangers should have sent White to the AHL in October to achieve the full benefits of that trade.

LA will need a center. Handzus is a free agent. They reportedly had interest in Drury in 2007.

Anaheim needs a center. Sather and Bob Murray have been a 100 trades since July.

Toronto would take Drury. Don't think he wants to move his family to Canada.

Maybe Washington if they have another bad playoff.

East coast and California teams.

The Avs have too much depth at center.

Cap will go up by $3M if the NHLPA exercises their 5% bump. Drury has a $5M salary next season. Not all of the teams spend to the upper limit.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 09:21 AM
  #155
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Here's what it comes down to:

If the difference between getting Brad Richards and not getting him is a buyout of Drury, do you do it?

I do. Nothing against Drury, but adding Richards, even at the expense of buying out Drury, makes us a better team.

If we aren't going after Richards, then there's no reason to buy out Drury.
Unfortunately, it's not a decision that will be totally up to Rangers management. If Richards re-signs with Dallas or signs with another team, we may be stuck with Drury regardless.

beastly115 is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 09:22 AM
  #156
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
CHRIS DRURY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2011-2012: $3,716,667
2012-2013: $1,666,667
at 3.7 he is excessive at 1.6 he is not!

Sad London Ranger is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
  #157
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Here's what it comes down to:

If the difference between getting Brad Richards and not getting him is a buyout of Drury, do you do it?

I do. Nothing against Drury, but adding Richards, even at the expense of buying out Drury, makes us a better team.

If we aren't going after Richards, then there's no reason to buy out Drury.
If we have the opportunity to move Drury for minimal return in salary and then go after Richards, of course I'd do that. Regardless, I don't think buying out Drury is an option. Carrying dead cap for the next two years while trying to fit Richards + all of the kids we have to re-sign? Not really feasible.

However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. Drury still brings key components to the table regardless of his point totals and his contract. The issue is that many people cannot look beyond that to see he's still a valuable player and a good leader.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
  #158
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
However, that's not the point I'm trying to make. Drury still brings key components to the table regardless of his point totals and his contract. The issue is that many people cannot look beyond that to see he's still a valuable player and a good leader.
Can you tell me where to look?

MSG the place to be* is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 10:17 AM
  #159
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Regardless, I don't think buying out Drury is an option. Carrying dead cap for the next two years while trying to fit Richards + all of the kids we have to re-sign? Not really feasible.
It depends. If it's true that the salary cap will increase by $3M next season, then it certainly could be a possibility that we'd buy out Drury's contract as part of the process of freeing up space to resign the RFAs and sign Richards. Of course other things would likely need to be done to open up that space...such as moving Roszi. And all of that would depend on Richards' price.

At the very least though, it should be an option kept open regardless of whether we can sign Richards or not. Drury is vastly overpaid for what he contributes on this team. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what he does, but it's not worth $7M. The real question to me is if our money is better spent on Drury at $7M, or on find his replacement at approx $3.3M ($7M minus the buyout hit of $3.7M). And I don't think finding a 3rd/4th line center for less than $3.3M is very difficult.

Vito Andolini is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
  #160
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Can you tell me where to look?
If you really need me to explain that to you, then it's not worth the effort.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
  #161
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
It depends. If it's true that the salary cap will increase by $3M next season, then it certainly could be a possibility that we'd buy out Drury's contract as part of the process of freeing up space to resign the RFAs and sign Richards. Of course other things would likely need to be done to open up that space...such as moving Roszi. And all of that would depend on Richards' price.
Moving Rozsival also necessitates replacing him in the lineup. Are we really confident that Sauer or Eminger can play that role? I'm not so sure.

Also, let's not forget Lil' Wade who will be returning to the books this summer.

Quote:
At the very least though, it should be an option kept open regardless of whether we can sign Richards or not. Drury is vastly overpaid for what he contributes on this team. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what he does, but it's not worth $7M. The real question to me is if our money is better spent on Drury at $7M, or on find his replacement at approx $3.3M ($7M minus the buyout hit of $3.7M). And I don't think finding a 3rd/4th line center for less than $3.3M is very difficult.
He's certainly overpaid, and I can think of better places to spend $7MM, but I can't envision a scenario where we can remove his contract and allocate those funds to another player. In that case, it's just not worth it, IMO.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
  #162
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Moving Rozsival also necessitates replacing him in the lineup. Are we really confident that Sauer or Eminger can play that role? I'm not so sure.

Also, let's not forget Lil' Wade who will be returning to the books this summer.
I do have confidence in both Sauer & Eminger, but even if I didn't, the reasoning is the same as with Drury. Roszi too has a cap hit that is beyond what he actually contributes. I think we can find a cheaper replacement for him at under $5M. And Roszi's situation could be favorable to us because of the disparity between his salary and cap hit.

You're right about the return of our favorite mustached hero's cap hit this summer...but I'm not sure how much of an effect it would have if the cap increased $3M.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's certainly overpaid, and I can think of better places to spend $7MM, but I can't envision a scenario where we can remove his contract and allocate those funds to another player. In that case, it's just not worth it, IMO.
Malhotra signed for $2.5M per last offseason and he's clearly a better player than Drury at this point.

Vito Andolini is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
  #163
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,005
vCash: 500
If he continues to play the way he has, with practically no offense to be seen, I would hope Sather would buy him out and just pull up a young player. It would save 2-3 million dollars next season while giving a young player more experience.

I loved the guys game but it has gone downhil, and fast.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
  #164
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If you really need me to explain that to you, then it's not worth the effort.
Thats weak man. Well, enjoy my thoughts on the matter...

- The guy is devoid of any puck skills, any offensive creativity, or really any way for him to leave an imprint on a game. Yes Gomez was massively overpaid as well, would turn it over at the blueline, had the weak shot into the chest, etc.,....But at least you could say Gomez wasn't hiding in the background and he actually took it upon himself to influence the game, even if he was unsuccessful. Drury probably hasn't had possession of the puck in his 9 or 10 games this season that Gomez would have in 1 game. I know they are completely different style players but Drury doesnt even have the puck as much as Brandon Prust or anyone else for that matter. To make it clear, I'm not advocating for Gomez. The only thing better than ridding him would have been to rid Redden and/or Drury. At the bare minimum a $7M player (yes salary matters) should step out onto the ice with the intention of being a difference maker. Gomez did. Redden did not. Drury does not.

- Yes he made team USA last year but the assistant coach of that team currently sees Drury as a 4th line player for the NYR.

- Yes there is an occasional quote about his leadership from a teammate but outside of the EC comment about Avery jumping a dude, why would there ever be a negative comment thrown around by anyone about anyone? Put some mic's in front of a Ranger and ask them how much Wade Redden's leadership has been missed and you'll be convinced he was the best teammate ever. We never actually see Drury's leadership on the ice but I guess its just another one of his invisibles...i mean intangibles.

MSG the place to be* is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
  #165
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING
 
Carl Hagelins Flow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Thats weak man. Well, enjoy my thoughts on the matter...

- The guy is devoid of any puck skills, any offensive creativity, or really any way for him to leave an imprint on a game. Yes Gomez was massively overpaid as well, would turn it over at the blueline, had the weak shot into the chest, etc.,....But at least you could say Gomez wasn't hiding in the background and he actually took it upon himself to influence the game, even if he was unsuccessful. Drury probably hasn't had possession of the puck in his 9 or 10 games this season that Gomez would have in 1 game. I know they are completely different style players but Drury doesnt even have the puck as much as Brandon Prust or anyone else for that matter. To make it clear, I'm not advocating for Gomez. The only thing better than ridding him would have been to rid Redden and/or Drury. At the bare minimum a $7M player (yes salary matters) should step out onto the ice with the intention of being a difference maker. Gomez did. Redden did not. Drury does not.

- Yes he made team USA last year but the assistant coach of that team currently sees Drury as a 4th line player for the NYR.

- Yes there is an occasional quote about his leadership from a teammate but outside of the EC comment about Avery jumping a dude, why would there ever be a negative comment thrown around by anyone about anyone? Put some mic's in front of a Ranger and ask them how much Wade Redden's leadership has been missed and you'll be convinced he was the best teammate ever. We never actually see Drury's leadership on the ice but I guess its just another one of his invisibles...i mean intangibles.
I don't think Trxjw was being rude to you, I think he was softly saying you were being naive.

I too sometimes suffer from the "hate the guy because of his contract" syndrome but let's look objectively at Drury.

He's a mild mannered veteran center. He's demonstrated years ago he knows how to be a top goal scorer. Can he do that anymore? I don't think so; age has taken its toll. But just because he cannot physically execute doesn't mean he doesn't know how to do it or teach it.

Having a veteran guy like Drury leading a bunch of kids (and the Rangers are a bunch of kids) is very healthy. Drury isn't a hothead, he isn't selfish (in fact, he's the opposite) and he still has peripheral ability like winning faceoffs, fearlessly jumping in front of slap shots to block scoring chances, and probably keeping a steady and up-beat locker room.

Is what I just said worth 7.5 million? No, of course it isn't. But it isn't Drury's fault Sather gave him that contract, either. I think the guy does the best he can with what he still has left in the tank. If anything, he is probably a great teacher to the kids both by example and in practice. He teaches selfless play and teamwork and those two things shouldn't be taken for granted, even at the NHL level.

How many times have we seen locker room cancers or players who only care about themselves? I love Jaromir Jagr, don't get me wrong, but Jagr was a selfish player. I'm happy he put up the points he did, and got us where he got us, but if I take off the blinders he's not the same personality as Drury -- even if both led by example.

I think what I just said is what Trxjw wanted you to realize. There's more, but this is enough for now.

edit: Addendum-

After further reading what you said, I notice you make a lot of assumptions. You aren't in the guy's head. How do you know he doesn't "step on the ice" with the intention of being "a difference maker"? With a coach like John Tortorella, do you seriously believe he would put up with that **** from a veteran like Dru? Torts speaks very highly of him almost all the time. We've seen Torts bench veterans and publicly (and privately/implicitly) call out their effort or lackthereof. This has not happened with Drury and I think if he was doing what you say (not giving 100%) Torts would have been on top of that. I think you have it all wrong man, no offense.


Last edited by Carl Hagelins Flow: 01-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Carl Hagelins Flow is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
  #166
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I do have confidence in both Sauer & Eminger, but even if I didn't, the reasoning is the same as with Drury. Roszi too has a cap hit that is beyond what he actually contributes. I think we can find a cheaper replacement for him at under $5M. And Roszi's situation could be favorable to us because of the disparity between his salary and cap hit.
I like Sauer, and Eminger has been playing well as of late, but I can't say definitively that I'm confident in either taking over that role. I agree that Rozsival is paid beyond his worth, and I'm not at all opposed to trading him, I just feel there is a gray area in terms to what kind of player are we "ok" with in terms of replacing him.

Quote:
You're right about the return of our favorite mustached hero's cap hit this summer...but I'm not sure how much of an effect it would have if the cap increased $3M.
It all depends on how much it's going to cost us to re-sign our key guys. Too hard to say what those numbers will be at this point.


Quote:
Malhotra signed for $2.5M per last offseason and he's clearly a better player than Drury at this point.
If we were to deal Drury, I don't think we would necessarily have to look outside the organization to replace him.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:15 PM
  #167
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,451
vCash: 500
drurys contract isnt the issue.

on a related note, i have been very tough on torts the last 2 years but hes been spot on with capt lunestra since hes returned from injury. i predicted he would need to be the 4c and thats where torts has him. good for torts- im going to have to change my avatar soon since hes no longer a clown

now, as for capt lunestra and his contract, his play is the issue not what hes paid.

drury and his intangibles no longer contribute enough to warrant even the time hes getting and we are starting to see the effects of carrying him on this roster. his leadership is almost as overrated as his intangibles. his on ice results are resulting in fewer and fewer minutes. hes done.

i think we can finally put to rest all the talk about not having young guys play key roles for this team. if not for the young guys, this team would be no where this season. guys like sauer, prust, stepan, boyle and arty have played key roles for this team this year. this team is led by young guys like dubi, cally, girardi and staal.

moving drury opens a spot for someone else to step up and do more than take faceoffs, pnealty kill and buy the team pizzas after practice.

i dont have time to look it up now, but some here were even talking about resigning him when his contract was up.

dump drury.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:24 PM
  #168
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
I think it's time we stop saying "I appreciate what Drury does" as if it's some kind of mantra.

If it is a mantra, it is a mantra given us by a spousal abuse counselor to get over the hard times.

---

About Richards and Drury's potential buyout: Say Richards somehow gets a 6 mil cap hit. The contract is very long and there are things going on that raise eyebrows around the league, but it's approved. We buyout Drury to make cap space to enable this as part of the same move. So next season we would the move essentially would cost us Richards 6 mil + 3.7 mil for the Drury buyout on the cap. That's 1/6th the team cap vested IN ONE PLAYER.

This is not acceptable.

We have other players to sign.

BobSantos is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
  #169
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Thats weak man. Well, enjoy my thoughts on the matter...

- The guy is devoid of any puck skills, any offensive creativity, or really any way for him to leave an imprint on a game. Yes Gomez was massively overpaid as well, would turn it over at the blueline, had the weak shot into the chest, etc.,....But at least you could say Gomez wasn't hiding in the background and he actually took it upon himself to influence the game, even if he was unsuccessful. Drury probably hasn't had possession of the puck in his 9 or 10 games this season that Gomez would have in 1 game. I know they are completely different style players but Drury doesnt even have the puck as much as Brandon Prust or anyone else for that matter. To make it clear, I'm not advocating for Gomez. The only thing better than ridding him would have been to rid Redden and/or Drury. At the bare minimum a $7M player (yes salary matters) should step out onto the ice with the intention of being a difference maker. Gomez did. Redden did not. Drury does not.
You're criticizing Drury for being the same player he's always been. He's never been a "go-to" scorer, or a guy who generates offense for his linemates. He's a complimentary forward, and one of the best goal scorers in the league around the net. He's an excellent presence around the net on the PP, and was used that way until Tortorella took over. Hence the reason he was the team's leading PPG scorer the first two years he was here.

He's a difference maker when you need a big goal, but if you're always expecting him to score that pivotal goal, you're going to be disappointed more often than not. That's just the way it is with any player. It's also quite difficult to be a difference maker when your coach doesn't put you in the position to succeed. Putting him on a line with energy guys is not the way to get the most out of him. He's a wrecking ball, not a play maker.

Quote:
- Yes he made team USA last year but the assistant coach of that team currently sees Drury as a 4th line player for the NYR.
He hasn't even attempted to use Drury on the Rangers the same way he was used during the Olympics. He's a net presence on the PP, a tremendous PKer, and good, complimentary forward.


Quote:
- Yes there is an occasional quote about his leadership from a teammate but outside of the EC comment about Avery jumping a dude, why would there ever be a negative comment thrown around by anyone about anyone? Put some mic's in front of a Ranger and ask them how much Wade Redden's leadership has been missed and you'll be convinced he was the best teammate ever. We never actually see Drury's leadership on the ice but I guess its just another one of his invisibles...i mean intangibles.
That's just it: Why do we need to see his leadership? What exactly would constitute "leadership" on the ice in your opinion?

The guy is praised by coaches, GM's, and his fellow players for his leadership abilities. Why are they good enough for them, but somehow not good enough for you? It's not the captains job to appease the fan base, no matter how much camera time Messier got.

He's wearing the C. So clearly he's doing something to earn it. Even Tortorella isn't dumb enough to have a guy wear a letter if he doesn't deserve it.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
  #170
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,872
vCash: 500
The fact of the matter is, Chris Drury is a great veteran presence and HAS left his mark on our younger kids, which is the best thing he could do. He's also a great penalty killer and it looks like he's helped show our kids how to do that, too. He's a good guy and it's nonsense that people make fun of his "intangibles" when the guy most of us want to be captain, Callahan, has taken a lot from Drury.

However, Chris Drury's contract is devastating to this team. No way around it. I'd go as far as to say that contract is crippling to the success of this team. He's not the player he used to be, and while not a liability on ES at this point i'd take most other guys before him.

I hate when people say "look at him past his contract" because you CAN'T. His contract is the elephant in the room and just as essential to the situation as Drury himself is. ODC can say the contract isn't the problem and that his ES play is, but if Drury was being paid 4th line center money I'd bet you ODC wouldn't have a problem with him. Drury just doesn't warrant his contract and while I like the guy, you HAVE to consider his contract in the salary cap era.

You don't want to lose the guy, but you definitely want to lose the contract. He'd be a great 4th line center, but for his contract I just don't feel it. It's a shame that he's over payed so much because if he wasn't he'd probably be really liked around here, and for good reason.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
  #171
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The fact of the matter is, Chris Drury is a great veteran presence and HAS left his mark on our younger kids, which is the best thing he could do. He's also a great penalty killer and it looks like he's helped show our kids how to do that, too. He's a good guy and it's nonsense that people make fun of his "intangibles" when the guy most of us want to be captain, Callahan, has taken a lot from Drury.

However, Chris Drury's contract is devastating to this team. No way around it. I'd go as far as to say that contract is crippling to the success of this team. He's not the player he used to be, and while not a liability on ES at this point i'd take most other guys before him.

I hate when people say "look at him past his contract" because you CAN'T. His contract is the elephant in the room and just as essential to the situation as Drury himself is. ODC can say the contract isn't the problem and that his ES play is, but if Drury was being paid 4th line center money I'd bet you ODC wouldn't have a problem with him. Drury just doesn't warrant his contract and while I like the guy, you HAVE to consider his contract in the salary cap era.

You don't want to lose the guy, but you definitely want to lose the contract. He'd be a great 4th line center, but for his contract I just don't feel it. It's a shame that he's over payed so much because if he wasn't he'd probably be really liked around here, and for good reason.
He would be an ok 4th line center for 4th line center money but why not have Dom Moore or Blair Betts or guys who are actually more physically capable and mentally accustomed to playing the position? Drury is a massive pile of frustration at 4C. Not fast enough. Not strong enough. Not mean enough.

BobSantos is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  #172
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
He would be an ok 4th line center for 4th line center money but why not have Dom Moore or Blair Betts or guys who are actually more physically capable and mentally accustomed to playing the position? Drury is a massive pile of frustration at 4C.
because that's where "intangibles" come in. At 4th line center money, a guy like Drury helping to teach our kids is absolutely great.

I'd also say Drury is still better than Betts on the PK, but I haven't watched Betts recently.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
  #173
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
About Richards and Drury's potential buyout: Say Richards somehow gets a 6 mil cap hit. The contract is very long and there are things going on that raise eyebrows around the league, but it's approved. We buyout Drury to make cap space to enable this as part of the same move. So next season we would the move essentially would cost us Richards 6 mil + 3.7 mil for the Drury buyout on the cap. That's 1/6th the team cap vested IN ONE PLAYER.

This is not acceptable.

We have other players to sign.
I'm not advocating signing Richards right now. It's too early to really think about that, but what's less acceptable to you:

Richards at 1/6th of the cap

OR

Drury at 1/8th of the cap?

Vito Andolini is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
  #174
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The fact of the matter is, Chris Drury is a great veteran presence and HAS left his mark on our younger kids, which is the best thing he could do. He's also a great penalty killer and it looks like he's helped show our kids how to do that, too. He's a good guy and it's nonsense that people make fun of his "intangibles" when the guy most of us want to be captain, Callahan, has taken a lot from Drury.

However, Chris Drury's contract is devastating to this team. No way around it. I'd go as far as to say that contract is crippling to the success of this team. He's not the player he used to be, and while not a liability on ES at this point i'd take most other guys before him.

I hate when people say "look at him past his contract" because you CAN'T. His contract is the elephant in the room and just as essential to the situation as Drury himself is. ODC can say the contract isn't the problem and that his ES play is, but if Drury was being paid 4th line center money I'd bet you ODC wouldn't have a problem with him. Drury just doesn't warrant his contract and while I like the guy, you HAVE to consider his contract in the salary cap era.

You don't want to lose the guy, but you definitely want to lose the contract. He'd be a great 4th line center, but for his contract I just don't feel it. It's a shame that he's over payed so much because if he wasn't he'd probably be really liked around here, and for good reason.
What exactly is his contract preventing other than Sather's ability to sign free agents? Frankly, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to give Sather more money to play with, given the fact that he's the guy who signed Drury in the first place.

Brad Richards? Sure. How about if he decides to go to Toronto instead? Or re-signs in Dallas? How does Tim Connolly at 4yr/$20MM sound?

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-03-2011, 12:42 PM
  #175
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Jerk Store
Country: United States
Posts: 4,437
vCash: 500
The team, as a whole, has been playing worse and worse of late... it doesn't all just fall on Drury. Everyone knows he isn't worth that contract.

I doubt there are any GM's who don't know it.

He's here for the remainder of that contract unless Sather buys him out (HIGHLY doubtful)

Riche16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.