HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Drury buyout Inevitable? (The EVERYTHING Chris Drury Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
What if it wins the stanley cup?
Sign me up. It would be a small price to pay.

show me

Old
01-08-2011, 12:17 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Drury is 34. He sure as hell aint retiring.

Azrok's plan has one major flaw; while we become an amazing team down the middle, we have no second line LW.

Boyle is not going to wing. This team likes his two way play as a pivot. In this scenario we're looking at

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
(Prospect)-Stepan-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Zuccarello
Boogaard/Feds-Boyle-Prust

And im actually not a huge fan of that lineup. I dont think it is too much better than the one we are currently fielding. Unless Grachev, Kreider, Werek, or Hagelin step into camp and make an immediate impact, we will have depth problems. Avery on the 2nd line? No thanks.
In what universe is switching Drury/Frolov for Richards not "too much better than the one we are currently fielding[?]"

Richards is on pace for another 90 point season, Drury and Frolov, combined, are on pace for less than 50 points. In addition to Richards output, you'd be getting points from whoever is filling the other roster spot.

Furthermore, even assuming that bringing in Richards is the only move that is made (and there's certainly the possibility, that another guy in the Prospal/Fedotenko mold is also brought in), if 2nd line LW is really a problem, you can add a rental at the trade deadline.

Saying that team isn't a significant offensive improvement is something I disagree vehemently with.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:19 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Drury is 34. He sure as hell aint retiring.

Azrok's plan has one major flaw; while we become an amazing team down the middle, we have no second line LW.

Boyle is not going to wing. This team likes his two way play as a pivot. In this scenario we're looking at

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
(Prospect)-Stepan-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Zuccarello
Boogaard/Feds-Boyle-Prust

And im actually not a huge fan of that lineup. I dont think it is too much better than the one we are currently fielding. Unless Grachev, Kreider, Werek, or Hagelin step into camp and make an immediate impact, we will have depth problems. Avery on the 2nd line? No thanks.
It's definitely a better lineup - it's the same lineup except we have Richards instead of Drury. So call it an 85 points instead of 20, plus a more effective PP, and maybe more effective Gaborik. Not to mention, Zuccarello plays both wings so:

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Zuccarello - Stepan - Callahan
Avery - Anisimov - (Grachev? Kreider?)
Feds - Boyle - Prust

Old
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I've never liked a massive, gaping hole in the top 6. It becomes an even bigger problem in the case of injuries.

Richards-Stepan-Anisimov-Boyle? Top 5 center crew in the league. No doubt.

Dubinsky, Avery, Boogaard down the LW? You'd better be playing Dubinsky 25 a night. and even then it is weak as hell.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I just don't see someone taking him after two years of embarrassing offensive output, although I hope I'm wrong.

Colorado might be perfectly content fitting his $7m cap hit on their roster, but are they seriously going to want to pay him $5m in cash? I just don't see it.
Mattering on if the NHL actually starts penalizing the Islanders for their cap situation, the Islanders are going to have a doozy of a time trying to hit the cap floor (especially if they can't lure any UFAs). An extra 3 million comes off their books next year from the Witt/Yashin buyouts alone.

With a salary dump type of trade (conditional 7th rounder), maybe the Islanders would entertain the idea to add leadership and a good voice into their growing room. And maybe Chris wouldn't object, as it wouldn't force him to relocate, and it gives him a year to re-establish himself as a NHL player (and get tons of icetime).

Again, a stretch, but maybe workable.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Mattering on if the NHL actually starts penalizing the Islanders for their cap situation, the Islanders are going to have a doozy of a time trying to hit the cap floor (especially if they can't lure any UFAs). An extra 3 million comes off their books next year from the Witt/Yashin buyouts alone.

With a salary dump type of trade (conditional 7th rounder), maybe the Islanders would entertain the idea to add leadership and a good voice into their growing room. And maybe Chris wouldn't object, as it wouldn't force him to relocate, and it gives him a year to re-establish himself as a NHL player (and get tons of icetime).

Again, a stretch, but maybe workable.
Getting to the cap floor is the easiest problem in the world to fix, and the Islanders sure as hell aren't going to be doing us any favors.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
azrok22

Quote:
I've never liked a massive, gaping hole in the top 6. It becomes an even bigger problem in the case of injuries.

Dubinsky, Avery, Boogaard down the LW? You'd better be playing Dubinsky 25 a night. and even then it is weak as hell.
Sorry, but I think you're grasping at straws here, and I've addressed why in my post above.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

I'll take Richards over Frolov and Drury any day of the week. I would take my chances with MZA on the left side and having one of Werek, Hagelin, Kreider or Grachev make the team.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:

Zuccarello happily plays LW and you're only looking at one year here. Kreider is clearly going to be an NHL caliber winger and Grachev likely will as well. Grachev may make the jump next year (Kreider *could* as well, I suppose) but one way or the other, within another year, maximum, you'd have someone else to play on the left side as well.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
azrok22

Richards also fills a huge hole beyond just the 1st line center spot. He's one of the league's best PP quarterbacks, and if DZ doesn't return to last year's form, something we severely lack.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:47 PM
HoosierDaddy

Yes Please!

Finally, the discussion regarding Dreary borders on reasonable. Uttering the "i" word and Leadership when discussing the brittle, invisible Captain can cease. He brings nothing to the table that a Freddie Sjostrom can do for 1/8 the salary. And yes, it's about the salary.

Moving forward requires **** canning Dreary. He's done less than little for this team since day 1. IMO

Old
01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
broadwayblue

My only concern with Richards is how long a contract he wants. He's clearly at the peak of his career right now in his 10th season. I'm sure he can have another monster year next year and perhaps the year after that. But it's hard to argue that he won't begin his eventual decline around that time. And the question is whether his decrease in production will be a gentle downward slope or a Drury. As I've said before I'm fine with a 5 year deal...but if he wants 7 or more I just can't see how that's a good idea.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Finally, the discussion regarding Dreary borders on reasonable. Uttering the "i" word and Leadership when discussing the brittle, invisible Captain can cease. He brings nothing to the table that a Freddie Sjostrom can do for 1/8 the salary. And yes, it's about the salary.

Moving forward requires **** canning Dreary. He's done less than little for this team since day 1. IMO
Amazing that you're not embarrassed to admit you know so little about hockey.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Rangers44*

Definitely buy him out, he isn't getting any younger, and is not getting any better. He still has no chemistry with anyone. The cap space should be used to keep our current players re-signed. And we need roster spots for the young players like Zuccarello, Kreider, etc.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I certainly wouldn't characterize Drury as bringing nothing more than Sjostrom, but the additional benefit Drury provides that Sjostrom doesn't might be worth $500k-$1m (so if Sjostrom is worth $1m, I'd say Drury's worth $1.5m-$2m).

When you sit down and realize that Drury is being played little more than 10 minutes a game, he needs to be off this roster next year, one way or another.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

I hope Drury pulls a Naslund at the end of the year and just retires.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:54 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Anyone think Drury would ask to be traded in offseason rather than play so little?

Old
01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Anyone think Drury would ask to be traded in offseason rather than play so little?
Maybe he'll just retire and work in his pizza place. lol

Old
01-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
4 points in 6 games.

It's now the same 4 points in 11 games.

Still bragging about his offense?

Old
01-08-2011, 02:40 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
My only concern with Richards is how long a contract he wants. He's clearly at the peak of his career right now in his 10th season. I'm sure he can have another monster year next year and perhaps the year after that. But it's hard to argue that he won't begin his eventual decline around that time. And the question is whether his decrease in production will be a gentle downward slope or a Drury. As I've said before I'm fine with a 5 year deal...but if he wants 7 or more I just can't see how that's a good idea.

I don't see Richards getting a 7M+ cap hit. I think that GMs have been adjusting to the cap little by little each year, and we're not going to see 7M cap hits handed out to any but the most elite UFAs anymore, unless the cap rises. I'm not saying I think his cap hit will be significantly LESS than 7M, but I just don't think it will go above. I'm thinking 6.8M for some reason. I would give Richards 5-6 years at that rate in a heart beat if Drury is off the books somehow. You're right about not wanting to commit to long a term to Richards though. I would say ideally, you give him 5 years, slightly front loaded, so that the cap hit is around 6.5M and he gets maybe 8M in the first year and 5M in the last year, like 8M 7.5M 6M 6M 5M. Or just give him around 6.8M across the board.

God let him retire.

Old
01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He's just one of many. It's amazing how people can watch something night after night, year after year, and still fail to pick up on so many things.

Old
01-08-2011, 02:47 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He's just one of many. It's amazing how people can watch something night after night, year after year, and still fail to pick up on so many things.
You're absolutely right. It's about all the little things Drury does in the 11 minutes of ice time he gets.

Old
01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
broadwayblue

Torts told Drury he's going to let the kids play...and that he would be using him as a utility player. He's clearly on his way out...whether that be this summer or next, he's not long for the Rangers.

Old
01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
You're absolutely right. It's about all the little things Drury does in the 11 minutes of ice time he gets.
I don't see anyone saying Drury is worth the money, or that we wouldn't be better off if we could move him, or if he did retire. That doesn't change the fact that it's pretty ignorant to think Drury provides nothing more than a Sjostrom or Betts. Intangibles don't make it worth carrying his 7M contract, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have them. The guy IS a winner and does the little things that make a team good. It doesn't show as much when he's become SO offensively inept, but that doesn't put him on the same level as the players people want to compare him to. Of course... Drury's intangibles are becoming redundant with guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Boyle, Girardi, and Staal on the roster, but don't think Drury didn't have something to do with the way they developed a bit. At this point, I'm all for being rid of Drury's contract, but he's still a better guy to have on your team than he gets credit for.

Old
01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Agree with Azrok's posts...

Closed Thread