HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Non-Brad Richards Center Ideas?

Old
11-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
I just did this at Capgeek. I don't see how we could possibly afford a top tier FA this year, if we don't buy out Drury and move Rozsival.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.250m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.750m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.300m)
Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m) / Brian Boyle ($1.750m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
/ Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Tim Kennedy ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Pavel Valentenko ($1.000m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,766,667; BONUSES: $1,650,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,283,333

Even if you pare the spare parts and carry a minimal roster it only adds about $2mil.
It's not really an accurate look at the cap situation though because this assumes that guys like White and Proposal were NEVER on the roster. They've been on the roster for 54 days now and gobbled up over $1M in cap space combined.

And therein lies the foolishness of having White as a reserve player and not utilizing the LTIR. With a daily hit of $41,935, you could have put Richards on the roster for 24 days by using on the cap space pissed away by White and Prospal alone, all other factors remaining unchanged. (not trying to pick on these guys in particular, they were just convenient examples to use)

If you feel like swimming in the numbers, here's the daily tracker: http://capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=22

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Ola

We might have to try to get someone who have yet to make himself completely untouchable.

Just to throw some names out there; Gagner, Frolik, Hanzal, Turris or someone like that... We have seen Wojtski get moved last season.

Or look for a vet who have more in him. The league just aint that strong anymore, put a player in a good environment and he could get it done. It might also be worth it to look at like a decent 30 y/o who are stuck in the same old same old for some team.

A kid like Jiri Hudler have some offensive mojo.

All I know is that we need someone who can make plays with the puck and distribute it. Not someone like "Ryan Clowe". Absolutely not a PF. Put the puck on the net type of player.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not really an accurate look at the cap situation though because this assumes that guys like White and Proposal were NEVER on the roster. They've been on the roster for 54 days now and gobbled up over $1M in cap space combined.

And therein lies the foolishness of having White as a reserve player and not utilizing the LTIR. With a daily hit of $41,935, you could have put Richards on the roster for 24 days by using on the cap space pissed away by White and Prospal alone, all other factors remaining unchanged. (not trying to pick on these guys in particular, they were just convenient examples to use)

If you feel like swimming in the numbers, here's the daily tracker: http://capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=22
The numbers presented were for a hypothetical 2011-2012 roster, i.e. next season. They assume that White and Prospal are not on the roster, to make the roster work.

This season, I think that the implication to make when looking at management's behavior (White + LTIR) is that there are no planned moves coming in the near future, because they're not "saving" for them.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
The numbers presented were for a hypothetical 2011-2012 roster, i.e. next season. They assume that White and Prospal are not on the roster, to make the roster work.

This season, I think that the implication to make when looking at management's behavior (White + LTIR) is that there are no planned moves coming in the near future, because they're not "saving" for them.
Oh. Woops. I guess I misunderstood the scenario being discussed here.

Agreed that Richards as a UFA is inconceivable at this point.

_

Ola. Hudler? Jiri Hudler? I'd stick with White OR Christensen first.

Old
11-29-2010, 10:20 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Jordan Staal is an excellent two way forward that's probably among the NHL's best defenders. That being said, we have that (to a lesser extent) in Chris Drury. There aren't a ton of options out there. Stay the course and develop our young guys.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Jordan Staal is an excellent two way forward that's probably among the NHL's best defenders. That being said, we have that (to a lesser extent) in Chris Drury. There aren't a ton of options out there. Stay the course and develop our young guys.
I think Staal embodies a lot of what Drury brings to the table (Great two-way play, leadership, steps it up in the playoffs, etc), but carries with him a higher offensive ceiling.

I don't think he's quite on the same level as his brother, but I think if he gets dangled by the Pens, teams will be lining up to get him. The problem is that he's definitely more of a shooting center than a playmaking one. However, the guy can make something happen every time he's on the ice, and that's ultimately what you want in a first line center.

Could he be enticed here as a free agent? You bet. I think he'd love to play with Marc. However, getting him from the Pens is going to be damn near impossible unless we sent Dubinsky the other way.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Kostik

One of Bergeron/Krejci?
As Savard is coming back soon...not sure what would be asking price though(or what Bruins actually need).
Bergeron/Krejci centering 3rd line is just waste of talent for Bruins.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
FOXHOUND*

On NHL live today Bob McKenzie was asked "who goes to LA, Iginla or Richards" and basically said that he would probably look to iginla if he were to be traded and that the rangers would be a probable spot for Richards. Bob didn't mention any other teams.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'd rather not see the Rangers sign Richards, but just don't trade for him.

I'll be happy about that. Don't move any pieces or picks. There's no need to. That's what concerns me the most in this situation.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
On NHL live today Bob McKenzie was asked "who goes to LA, Iginla or Richards" and basically said that he would probably look to iginla if he were to be traded and that the rangers would be a probable spot for Richards. Bob didn't mention any other teams.
I think it's the consensus choice that we're a likely spot for him to land, if not the most likely.

Glaring need for a #1 center. A previous connection with Tortorella. Never been shy about handing out big money. It seems like the perfect storm. However, the elephant in the room is clearly the salary cap and how we're going to manage to deal with it. With Redden returning to the summer cap, and being forced to sign a lot of core pieces as well, it's going to take a serious swindle by Sather to find the room.

Old
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We might have to try to get someone who have yet to make himself completely untouchable.

Just to throw some names out there; Gagner, Frolik, Hanzal, Turris or someone like that... We have seen Wojtski get moved last season.

Or look for a vet who have more in him. The league just aint that strong anymore, put a player in a good environment and he could get it done. It might also be worth it to look at like a decent 30 y/o who are stuck in the same old same old for some team.

A kid like Jiri Hudler have some offensive mojo.

All I know is that we need someone who can make plays with the puck and distribute it. Not someone like "Ryan Clowe". Absolutely not a PF. Put the puck on the net type of player.
Honestly, I don't think any of those players are worth acquiring unless it's for a discount, and I don't see why many of those teams would give a discount. Those players aren't likely to be much better than Stepan or Anisimov are going to be, if at all.

I totally agree on the last point. Please, feel free to help make that clear in the Ryane Clowe thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think it's the consensus choice that we're a likely spot for him to land, if not the most likely.

Glaring need for a #1 center. A previous connection with Tortorella. Never been shy about handing out big money. It seems like the perfect storm. However, the elephant in the room is clearly the salary cap and how we're going to manage to deal with it. With Redden returning to the summer cap, and being forced to sign a lot of core pieces as well, it's going to take a serious swindle by Sather to find the room.
I think some of you guys will be surprised at how relatively pain-free the process will be. It'll be a little tight next season, but once Drury and Avery come off the books, there should be absolutely no problem. If you manage the cap well, and draft well and have your team building plan in order, then you can afford to over pay 1 or 2 free agents. When Drury and Avery come off the books, then we'll have no more overpaid players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:26 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Okay this probably belongs here instead of the Hitchcock/Rangers are sleepers thread.

Dubinsky--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Zuccarelo
Grachev--Anisimov--Callahan

2011-12

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I think some of you guys will be surprised at how relatively pain-free the process will be. It'll be a little tight next season, but once Drury and Avery come off the books, there should be absolutely no problem. If you manage the cap well, and draft well and have your team building plan in order, then you can afford to over pay 1 or 2 free agents. When Drury and Avery come off the books, then we'll have no more overpaid players.
How is Avery at 1.9375 overpayment?

Did you mean when Drury and Rozsival come off the books?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think any of those players are worth acquiring unless it's for a discount, and I don't see why many of those teams would give a discount. Those players aren't likely to be much better than Stepan or Anisimov are going to be, if at all.

I totally agree on the last point. Please, feel free to help make that clear in the Ryane Clowe thread.

True , they are another full year away from no more cap issues. Rozy, Drury are off the books. I think Rozy is dealt next yr anyways cause his actual dollars are friendly and there are teams out there that have cap space...............Avery will be off the books too but at 2 million it's not really a problem right now

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
How is Avery at 1.9375 overpayment?

Did you mean when Drury and Rozsival come off the books?
If Richards is here, Rozsival will not be, so no. Don't read that into a bashing of Avery, who I like more or less. But 2 million for a guy who spends a decent amount of time on the 4th line is a bit much. My hope is that in July of 2012, both Drury and Avery are re-signed to more reasonable deals (like 3.5 mill and 1.5 mill per) because I think both are still useful players (not to mention, in Avery's case, very popular and the possibility that he won't have many suitors or a desire to leave NY).

Old
11-29-2010, 01:39 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Okay this probably belongs here instead of the Hitchcock/Rangers are sleepers thread.

Dubinsky--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Zuccarelo
Grachev--Anisimov--Callahan

2011-12
I feel as if Anisimov can contribute a lot more on the second line than third line in terms if scoring though. We have:

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
--->This a terrific line

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarelo
--->Stepan will be a lot better next year, but this line screams scoring problems due to inexperience

Grachev-Anisimov- Callahan
---> Anisimov and Callahan work great together. Callahan is on the line he belongs, but Anisimov is a line lower. This is also assuming Grachev becomes more of a two way forward with less of a scoring touch than we thought.

Avery-Drury/Boyle-Drury/Prust
--->Avery, Drury and Prust are on their last year of their contracts last year, so they'll have to play for that next contract. Christensen can be sent down to the AHL, traded or waived, but with Boyle's breakout season, what do we do with him? We can keep him on the 4th line, and shift Drury to RW, leaving out Prust, or we can put Drury at C and Prust at RW leaving out Boyle. Does Prust become a 13th forward?

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I'd rather not see the Rangers sign Richards, but just don't trade for him.

I'll be happy about that. Don't move any pieces or picks. There's no need to. That's what concerns me the most in this situation.
At the risk of sounding like I'm advocating this or making it sound beneficial to one or both parties.......

I could see swap along the lines of Richards for Rozsvial+. I can see how a quality veteran d-man with a year left at a below market salary would appeal to a team trying to get a commodity for a pending UFA. The degree to which it appeals is what will influence the "+" part of the equation.

For the Rangers, you get the player you need if you feel it's beneficial for the short team and access to that player before July 1. At the same time, you free up $5M in cap space for next year.

Old
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
I would honestly be surprised at this supposedly pain-free process. Please show us how to get there. Please post your numbers.

You have to get rid of both Drury and Rozy to allow Richards to become a Ranger in the upcoming offseason. Is that going to happen?

You buyout Drury: You gain 3.5 million cap space.

You trade Rozy: You lose 5 million cap and gain back something - let's say you get a $3 mil defender. So you net 2 million cap space.

At that point you would have 5.5 million extra cap space. That's still not enough for Richards. You need another 2-2.5 million.

I just want to know how you arrive at the conclusion that this will be pain-free.

I submit that to do the juggling necessary to add Richards or any $7mil or higher player you will "Kovalchuk" the Rangers and imposed forcible suckiness on us for years to come.

Old
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I would honestly be surprised at this supposedly pain-free process. Please show us how to get there. Please post your numbers.

You have to get rid of both Drury and Rozy to allow Richards to become a Ranger in the upcoming offseason. Is that going to happen?

You buyout Drury: You gain 3.5 million cap space.

You trade Rozy: You lose 5 million cap and gain back something - let's say you get a $3 mil defender. So you net 2 million cap space.

At that point you would have 5.5 million extra cap space. That's still not enough for Richards. You need another 2-2.5 million.

I just want to know how you arrive at the conclusion that this will be pain-free.

I submit that to do the juggling necessary to add Richards or any $7mil or higher player you will "Kovalchuk" the Rangers and imposed forcible suckiness on us for years to come.
All of this is based on a number of assumptions that I would say are inaccurate, just like the idea that Kovalchuk's contract is responsible for the Devils struggles. Take a look at the projecting salary cap thread. I don't want to re-post that roster projection here because I've definitely been guilty lately of talking about Richards in too many threads so I'm trying to stop before this conversation turns that way.

Old
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I do not want any of them

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:34 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
All of this is based on a number of assumptions that I would say are inaccurate, just like the idea that Kovalchuk's contract is responsible for the Devils struggles. Take a look at the projecting salary cap thread. I don't want to re-post that roster projection here because I've definitely been guilty lately of talking about Richards in too many threads so I'm trying to stop before this conversation turns that way.
Sting, I'm not arguing or anything. I just want to know how we get a good No. 1 center next season. How do we make the space and pay our RFA's?

Assumptions are just that. You may have different ones and should share. I'm open to your ideas.

The Drury one is a fact, though. If you buy him out you don't get 7 mil cap space. you get 3.5 next season. Then you lose the season after that.

I apologize for mentioning Kovalchuck. The Devils' problems are probably just bad luck/timing. Right.

Old
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Sting, I'm not arguing or anything. I just want to know how we get a good No. 1 center next season. How do we make the space and pay our RFA's?

Assumptions are just that. You may have different ones and should share. I'm open to your ideas.

The Drury one is a fact, though. If you buy him out you don't get 7 mil cap space. you get 3.5 next season. Then you lose the season after that.

I apologize for mentioning Kovalchuck. The Devils' problems are probably just bad luck/timing. Right.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=119

Forget about Drury, he's not getting traded or bought out. The Devils problem was badly overpaying for Brian Rolston. Once he's gone, which could be as soon as next season, they'll have a lot more options at their disposal.

Old
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=119

Forget about Drury, he's not getting traded or bought out. The Devils problem was badly overpaying for Brian Rolston. Once he's gone, which could be as soon as next season, they'll have a lot more options at their disposal.
So my whole point is that there's no space for the mythical $7 million 1st line center, whoever he may be. You state we can do it, unless I misunderstand. Please tell me how it can be done.

edit: apologies, I didn't look at your link. Will look and gestate response.

Thanks!

edit2: I bet a lot of people would have trouble watching the Ranger team you posted in that thread. 20 man roster with five defensemen? Not workable.

Also I don't get how you make Richards a 6.8 million cap hit when he's currently 7.8 million. Are you suggesting a decade long circumvention contract?

Also I think Dubinsky, if he maintains his pace, will get more than Staal for his contract. That means $4mil and up.

See, I have trouble with your assumptions, too.

Last edited by BobSantos: 11-29-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old
11-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I'd like to be surprised, but it's going to be a very tight fit. I'm torn on the idea of creating a block for Stepan and Anisimov in the form of Richards, but he's just such a great player it's hard to pass it up.

Old
11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
NYR Viper

If I were the Rangers, I would hope for something like this next season:

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
MZA-Anisimov-Callahan
Boyle-Stepan-Avery
Prust-Drury-Boogaard

White, Prospal, Fedotenko all let go.

I would 100% let Boyle transition to the wing and concentrate on a more North-South game.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote