HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brian Lee On Waivers... (Cleared)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
  #1
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Brian Lee On Waivers... (Cleared)

Yep, OK, twice in two weeks that I am suggesting a waiver claim. Sorry! But this one makes sense too!

Brian Lee is a big (6'3'', 206), 23 year old, right handed shot defender. He's formerly a 9th overall pick and after three and a half pro seasons, is now on waivers.

With the caveat that Yannick Weber doesn't appear to be someone Martin is willing to play, I think Lee would be a good replacement. He's got some grit, he's got decent offensive upside and is young enough to still be a prospect.

I assume O'Byrne wouldn't have been dealt if we knew Markov was getting hurt, so why not take a chance on Lee? He's someone who can play. Big, if not as big as O'Byrne, and younger than him too. Also more of a threat on the back end, if not as much as Weber would be.

Weber can get back to developing on the farm.

Anyway, just a thought... =)

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
  #2
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,099
vCash: 50
I would definitely put in a claim but I expect he gets picked up by a team long before us.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:27 PM
  #3
Ketzlaf
Registered User
 
Ketzlaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Wasn't he essentially terrible? Why claim him?

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
  #4
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I had posted this before..but surprise surprise it was moved or deleted for no reason.

Back to what I had in that thread:

I don't know about anyone else but I'd try and claim Brian lee, he is underrated and fits our style, quick, puck moving D.

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
  #5
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Yep, OK, twice in two weeks that I am suggesting a waiver claim. Sorry! But this one makes sense too!

Brian Lee is a big (6'3'', 206), 23 year old, right handed shot defender. He's formerly a 9th overall pick and after three and a half pro seasons, is now on waivers.

With the caveat that Yannick Weber doesn't appear to be someone Martin is willing to play, I think Lee would be a good replacement. He's got some grit, he's got decent offensive upside and is young enough to still be a prospect.

I assume O'Byrne wouldn't have been dealt if we knew Markov was getting hurt, so why not take a chance on Lee? He's someone who can play. Big, if not as big as O'Byrne, and younger than him too. Also more of a threat on the back end, if not as much as Weber would be.

Weber can get back to developing on the farm.

Anyway, just a thought... =)
Ohhh...

From Minnesota...check
Former Mr Hockey...check
NHL 1st rounder...check

I'm sure Timmins will be pushing hard to get him

Seriously, I think it could be an option, especially if Markov is only out 6-8 weeks and we are not getting Salo or Bieksa. That way Weber can keep playing in the AHL and anything we get from Lee is a bonus.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
  #6
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Wasn't he essentially terrible? Why claim him?
He hasn't lived up to "top ten pick" hype, but as we've seen time and again, sometimes a guy can flourish on a new team (Picard... O'Byrne are two recent examples).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
  #7
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Weber is Lee, with a shot. Seriously. The only reason people would be tempted by Lee is his draft position.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
  #8
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Look at the Sens defense right now...

Gonchar-Karlsson
Phillips-Kuba
Carkner-Campoli
Hale

Lee hasn't played since Oct. 22nd, with the Sens missing Kuba for most of that stretch. Lee hasn't been able to bump a massively struggling Campoli from the Sens line-up in that time and has even lost his job to David Hale.

Weber will be in the Habs' line-up covering for an injured veteran soon. Lee will be in the AHL.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
  #9
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Wasn't he essentially terrible? Why claim him?
I have always thought he was terrible. I also thought Picard had frequent stretches of looking terrible with the Sens too, and he has given us a different perspective here. I don't think Lee would work out. But who knows. Players do need a change in scenery at certain stages in their development. Lee has certainly reached that stage. And we have an opening for a #7 D (Weber can be demoted).

I say put in the claim.

Agreed that somebody ahead of us in the claim order probably rolls the dice first, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:46 PM
  #10
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I have always thought he was terrible. I also thought Picard had frequent stretches of looking terrible with the Sens too, and he has given us a different perspective here. I don't think Lee would work out. But who knows. Players do need a change in scenery at certain stages in their development. Lee has certainly reached that stage. And we have an opening for a #7 D (Weber can be demoted).

I say put in the claim.

Agreed that somebody ahead of us in the claim order probably rolls the dice first, however.
He's not 6'3...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:50 PM
  #11
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,203
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I wouldn't be opposed, but I assume someone will take him before he gets to us.

He could be our #7 and we could send Weber down to get some ice time.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:52 PM
  #12
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
This guy looked really promising two years ago. What's happened to him? Is it off ice issues, injuries? His decline was pretty dramatic, as he's been awful this year and what I saw of last. Still, hard to believe they couldn't get anything at all for him.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:54 PM
  #13
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Lucius;29264059]He's got some grit, [QUOTE]

Grit is exactly what he ain't got.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:56 PM
  #14
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
We have no room for Lee.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
  #15
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
He's not 6'3...
http://senators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471683

NHL.com begs to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
Grit is exactly what he ain't got.
He's not the world's toughest guy, but from what I remember of him, he's a solid defender. He gets more than a hit a game in his pro career (which is better than most) and blocks a fair number of shots historically (although not many in a very limited sample this year).

He won't beat you up, but he's not exactly soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
We have no room for Lee.
We have six healthy bodies on defense, plus one guy our coach refuses to dress on defense. That's the definition of space.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:10 PM
  #16
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
No thank you.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:13 PM
  #17
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
http://senators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471683

NHL.com begs to differ.



He's not the world's toughest guy, but from what I remember of him, he's a solid defender. He gets more than a hit a game in his pro career (which is better than most) and blocks a fair number of shots historically (although not many in a very limited sample this year).

He won't beat you up, but he's not exactly soft.



We have six healthy bodies on defense, plus one guy our coach refuses to dress on defense. That's the definition of space.
Have you seen him play?

I have a bunch of times and I've seen him at practice. He's not 6'3. Sorry.

He's about as physical as Spacek.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:13 PM
  #18
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
http://senators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471683

He's not the world's toughest guy, but from what I remember of him, he's a solid defender. He gets more than a hit a game in his pro career (which is better than most) and blocks a fair number of shots historically (although not many in a very limited sample this year).

He won't beat you up, but he's not exactly soft.
If he's not "soft" then he's so close to being soft that it's hard to tell sometimes. He's supposed to be a developing skill guy. Quick decision, crisp first pass, etc., but when I've seen him play he just keeps ending up in battles for the puck that he can't win most of the time, and he can't really move guys out of the crease or off the puck. He kind of reminded me of Ron Hainsey, but not as big or strong. I'm not saying he can't develop into a useful player, but do we really need a guy with his profile?

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
  #19
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
We have six healthy bodies on defense, plus one guy our coach refuses to dress on defense. That's the definition of space.
Martin will dress Weber when there's an injury. There's been no injuries in the brief time he's been up so far. He hasn't even been up in Montreal for 2 weeks yet and people are acting like Weber's career is being destroyed from inactivity.

A guy like Spacek, Hamr or Gill will miss a couple games in the near future due to injury. There's a chance that Picard could hit a slump and see a game in the press box. At that point, Weber will get the chance to see NHL action. If the Habs were to pick up Lee, they would be wasting the opportunity to get Weber any exposure to the club through practice and game time.

Another thing to consider... The Senators invested a very high pick in Lee and have done anything they can to develop him into a good defensemen. Now, they are deciding that there is no chance he will surpass David Hale on their depth chart and deem it necessary to risk losing him in sending him down to the minors to get some playing time. The context of this situation really seems to think that the Sens have lost all faith in Lee being a competent defender at the NHL level.

Sure, he could be a late bloomer, but the situation in Montreal doesn't seem to be a great match for what Lee would need.


Last edited by LyleOdelein: 11-30-2010 at 01:54 PM.
LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
  #20
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,689
vCash: 500
I know some people's first language isn't English, but is "Out of town thread", really that hard to understand ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
  #21
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Have you seen him play?

I have a bunch of times and I've seen him at practice. He's not 6'3. Sorry.

He's about as physical as Spacek.
That argument doesn't work when the guy's been pro for three years. Yes, I've seen him play (on TV at least) a number of times.

As I said, he's not Mike Komisarek back there, but I remember him taking his man, finishing checks (not seeking them, but completing those he's supposed to), and not being thrown around like a rag doll.

Defensively, he'd be more ready than Weber, as of now, is my point.

And as to his height: He's listed as 6'3". I grant you that every NHL team lies, but I figure if they all lie, it's all relative and he's still tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
If he's not "soft" then he's so close to being soft that it's hard to tell sometimes. He's supposed to be a developing skill guy. Quick decision, crisp first pass, etc., but when I've seen him play he just keeps ending up in battles for the puck that he can't win most of the time, and he can't really move guys out of the crease or off the puck. He kind of reminded me of Ron Hainsey, but not as big or strong. I'm not saying he can't develop into a useful player, but do we really need a guy with his profile?
Well if he was God himself, he wouldn't be on waivers.

I am not suggesting a trade here, I'm suggesting he be taken for free.

If he doesn't pan out, no big deal, but right now I think he'd be a more stable 7th man than Weber. Or at least more trusted.

He has a big upside if he ever puts it together.

If not, he eats a lot of nachos and fills in if Picard stubs his toe. No big loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I know some people's first language isn't English, but is "Out of town thread", really that hard to understand ?


...and way to toss in an obligatory dig at French people. Classy.

How about ignoring topics you don't care about or letting the MODs move something if they feel appropriate?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:20 PM
  #22
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
That argument doesn't work when the guy's been pro for three years. Yes, I've seen him play (on TV at least) a number of times.

As I said, he's not Mike Komisarek back there, but I remember him taking his man, finishing checks (not seeking them, but completing those he's supposed to), and not being thrown around like a rag doll.

Defensively, he'd be more ready than Weber, as of now, is my point.

And as to his height: He's listed as 6'3". I grant you that every NHL team lies, but I figure if they all lie, it's all relative and he's still tall

And yes the argument works. I live in Ottawa and my brother is a season ticket holder. I see 75% of Ottawa games. Brian Lee is in no way a physical player.


Well if he was God himself, he wouldn't be on waivers.

I am not suggesting a trade here, I'm suggesting he be taken for free.

If he doesn't pan out, no big deal, but right now I think he'd be a more stable 7th man than Weber. Or at least more trusted.

He has a big upside if he ever puts it together.

If not, he eats a lot of nachos and fills in if Picard stubs his toe. No big loss.
NHL.com is the only place he's listed at 6'3. He is not 6'3.

I would much rather look into better options like Bieksa or Hannan (who was traded today) then look at Lee who has been terrible in Ottawa.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:22 PM
  #23
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,262
vCash: 500
Brian Lee??? Really???

Have you guys seen him play? The only reason Lee has even seen NHL time this year is because of how poor the Sens defense is.

Sorry, but Brian Lee would be a depth dman on the Bulldogs.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:22 PM
  #24
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
NHL.com is the only place he's listed at 6'3. He is not 6'3.

I would much rather look into better options like Bieksa or Hannan (who was traded today) then look at Lee who has been terrible in Ottawa.
HockeyDB also has 6'3''.... and last I checked, he plays in the NHL, so that's kind of a decent source.

But whatever, so he's 6'2'', does that change anything?

No argument at all that Bieksa is better, but that's like saying we should drop Tom Pyatt to sign Jaromir Jagr. They're not exactly in the same ballpark. One is a waiver claim, 7th man. One is an established player we'd need to trade for and dedicate significant cap space to.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:26 PM
  #25
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
HockeyDB also has 6'3''.... and last I checked, he plays in the NHL, so that's kind of a decent source.

But whatever, so he's 6'2'', does that change anything?

No argument at all that Bieksa is better, but that's like saying we should drop Tom Pyatt to sign Jaromir Jagr. They're not exactly in the same ballpark. One is a waiver claim, 7th man. One is an established player we'd need to trade for and dedicate significant cap space to.
He's 6'1 max and is in no way a physical player.

I live in Ottawa, my bro has season tickets and I see about 75% of their games and have seen them practice up close.

There are better options.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.