HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did Hawerchuk retire too early?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Did Hawerchuk retire too early?

I was noticing he retired at 34 which is still pretty young , and he was still a productive player in Philly. I also noticed he had 6 100 point seasons in his first 7 years and 8 90 + pt his first 8 years pretty impressive imo.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:44 AM
whatname

vCash: 500
he didn't do much in the 97 playoffs. Back then, 34 was very old.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:08 AM
shadow1

Great player but his better days were behind him. He was a fourth liner in the '97 playoffs.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Canadiens1958

Injuries

Degenerative hip injury amongst others:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1344145

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:19 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatname View Post
he also suffered a knew injury.

I think when we get around the 34 to 35 years of age for a player, we should not say they retired early. He played a lot of games in career and a lot of minutes, He was playing 25minutes a night when he was with the Jets on many nights

I remember the trade the jets did and at the time I thought it sucked--but looking back at it it was very good return

Housley and a pick that turned out to Tkachuck

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatname View Post
Either I am really old or 1997 was not that long ago. I think its both. No, it was a little premature for players of Hawerchuk's age and status. Francis, MacInnis, Gilmour, Housley, etc. all played well past 1997 despite roughly being the same age. I don't think its a knock against Hawerchuk though. He had 13 straight seasons of 80+ points from 1981-'94. One other player has done that - Gretzky. That's pretty impressive. I honestly just think it was burnout that did him in by then. He started in the NHL at 18 years old and was the guy who was shouldering the Jets load for a long time in Winnipeg with little support. All in all, he played 16 seasons, so it isn't that bad. I am a big Hawerchuk fan and the thing that bothered me was that you would assume he is a first ballot guy in 2000, but instead Mullen and Savard were chosen. Now, Savard I can see since from a career value standpoint they are similar, but Mullen? Never understood that. Hawerchuk got in in 2001.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Stephen

Wasn't Hawerchuk a chain smoker and one of those old timers who didn't adopt the whole training thing?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wasn't Hawerchuk a chain smoker and one of those old timers who didn't adopt the whole training thing?
I had heard that about the chain smoking thing. After all, Lemieux and Lafleur at one point did the same thing. I can't be sure if Hawerchuk was one of those guys though but early in his career he was criticized for his conditioning. When you are putting up over 100 points every year it probably doesn't matter though as much. Hawerchuk was one of those players who never missed a shift though so I personally would never have questioned his work ethic.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I am a big Hawerchuk fan and the thing that bothered me was that you would assume he is a first ballot guy in 2000, but instead Mullen and Savard were chosen. Now, Savard I can see since from a career value standpoint they are similar, but Mullen? Never understood that. Hawerchuk got in in 2001.
Mullen over Hawerchuk is easy to explain: Mullen was the top scoring American of all time and won three Stanley Cups. But really, what difference does it make if he got in in 2000 or 2001?

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Mullen over Hawerchuk is easy to explain: Mullen was the top scoring American of all time and won three Stanley Cups. But really, what difference does it make if he got in in 2000 or 2001?
There isn't much of a difference. You just see people complain about why Shanahan is having to wait another year and it was the same kind of surprise - if not more - with Hawerchuk. Both players retired in 1997 (Hawerchuk and Mullen) and if you had to pick one player it is easily Hawerchuk. Mullen had the shiny 500 goals as an American but to be honest there wasn't really a reason to not induct Hawerchuk. They only had two players that year. Savard and Mullen. It isn't as if they were at their maximum.

Honestly, I would have loved to have heard the excuses from the committee as to why Hawerchuk couldn't get in right away.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:29 AM
FissionFire

I always believed that Hawerchuk suffered a concussion in the 1997 Finals which greatly contributed to his decision to retire. On this hit (which I believe took him out for the rest of the series):

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote