Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Erixon

Old
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
CanadienKid25

vCash: 500
Tim Erixon

I was hoping someone could translate this for me or tell me if it says that Erixon has decided to leave his team?

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...lamnar-sverige

CanadienKid25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Signature
Unsustainable™

vCash: 1250
http://translate.google.com/translat...lamnar-sverige

In short, he wants to leave Sweden after his current season to join the Calgary Flames. He has been doing well as a defender in the SEL, as reported by scouts - but he feels it is time to join the big league.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 290
Also seems like he's agreed to a contract with the Flames?

Quote:
Expressen can now tell you that the contact between him and the club he draftats of, Calgary Flames, has been sealed.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Signature
Unsustainable™

So basically, any future Flames GM (or Sutter) should make room for Erixon next season - looks like he won't accept no for an answer.

Old
11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I asked how he was doing in the WJC Sweden thread and apparently he is playing excellent.

After reading it, it doesn't sound like he is demanding to come over to the NHL; of course the kid would like to come overseas; with the way he is playing he deserves a look. I don't think he would have a problem playing in the AHL if need be but honestly he is a 19 year old superstar in the SEL, he's progressing better than expectations and I think he will definitely challenge for a spot.

I wouldn't want to trade either. HFboards seems to think we are desperate for offensive talent, but Nemisz and Wahl aren't bad, and Howse got an invitation to the WJ roster.

EDIT: I made a thread using your links in the Sweden board, hope you don't mind. Just curious as to what those who watch Erixon say.

Last edited by King In The North: 11-29-2010 at 03:51 PM.
King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
I asked how he was doing in the WJC Sweden thread and apparently he is playing excellent.

After reading it, it doesn't sound like he is demanding to come over to the NHL; of course the kid would like to come overseas; with the way he is playing he deserves a look. I don't think he would have a problem playing in the AHL if need be but honestly he is a 19 year old superstar in the SEL, he's progressing better than expectations and I think he will definitely challenge for a spot.

Brodie will most likely make the team and I think Erixon will as well.

I wouldn't want to trade either. HFboards seems to think we are desperate for offensive talent, but Nemisz and Wahl aren't bad, and Howse got an invitation to the WJ roster.
Not to downplay Howse, because he is a very good goal scorer but Boyd had quite the World Junior tournament as well. And well we all know how that turned out. The big thing is trying to develop these guys properly and hope they can translate their success to the NHL level. For the record, I think Howse will be a much better player than Boyd will ever be, I am just noting playing for the World Juniors doesn't always mean they will be a regular in the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 03:26 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Not to downplay Howse, because he is a very good goal scorer but Boyd had quite the World Junior tournament as well. And well we all know how that turned out. The big thing is trying to develop these guys properly and hope they can translate their success to the NHL level. For the record, I think Howse will be a much better player than Boyd will ever be, I am just noting playing for the World Juniors doesn't always mean they will be a regular in the NHL.
I agree with you there. Proper development is key. If I remember correctly Boyd never did spent a significant amount of time in the minors. He was never able to build enough strength for a permanent top six role.

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Pilkington

Erixon has played well but is far from a guarantee to step right into an NHL line-up.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

He may be looking to come overseas, not necessarily to the Flames though. He may be prepared to spend a year in Abbotsford to learn the NA style game, considering he didn't mention Calgary specifically.

Old
11-29-2010, 04:25 PM
saillias

I have high expectations for Erixon. I expect him to make the regular lineup next season.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
joe89

It says Erixon has a close dialog with Calgary and that he hopes to play abroad next season. Doesn't say anything about AHL or NHL just that he wants to play in North America next season.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
I think Erixon and Brodie will be NHL ready next season, which will be huge for the Flames. One, this will give significant cap relief and we can part ways with any dead weight and over priced contracts on our blueline. And secondly, if the Flames do rebuild, these are exactly the type of young talent that we want playing on the Flames roster. Bouw, Gio, Erixon and Brodie are all excellent skating, puck moving defenceman. Which is exactly the type of d-man you need to be successful in todays NHL. Now if Pardy, Pelech and Negrin could ever play up to their dam potential we would have an excellent mix of physicality to add to that corps.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Pilkington

He isn't NHL ready. May I ask how large of a sample size you have of watching SEL games this year to base these beliefs on his NHL readiness on?

Coming to Abbotsford is the best thing for him so that's a positive for him.

Old
11-29-2010, 09:33 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I have high expectations for Erixon. I expect him to make the regular lineup next season.
I'm going to assume you haven't watched him play a lot, if at all. I'm not saying I have and that I know he's not ready, I'm just saying I'm not going to start having high expectations for players I've never seen.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:32 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
I'm going to assume you haven't watched him play a lot, if at all. I'm not saying I have and that I know he's not ready, I'm just saying I'm not going to start having high expectations for players I've never seen.
I'm looking at it from a "for this franchise to be successful going forward, we need ______" viewpoint. (And I do expect this to be a successful franchise, after all ticket prices are high and the GM spends to the cap.) So for this to happen, we need rookies on ELCs to come in and play well above their salary. Erixon is one of our best prospects, will have been playing in the SEL for 3 full years, so he's one of those guys I expect to come in and show he is NHL ready. If he isn't, being sent to the AHL is usually a dead end when you're in the Flames organization.

Old
11-30-2010, 09:40 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm looking at it from a "for this franchise to be successful going forward, we need ______" viewpoint. (And I do expect this to be a successful franchise, after all ticket prices are high and the GM spends to the cap.) So for this to happen, we need rookies on ELCs to come in and play well above their salary. Erixon is one of our best prospects, will have been playing in the SEL for 3 full years, so he's one of those guys I expect to come in and show he is NHL ready. If he isn't, being sent to the AHL is usually a dead end when you're in the Flames organization.
Why is that a dead end. Looking at what Backlund has done after going through the same steps, there's no reason to believe we wouldn't do the exact same thing with Erixon.

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
How is getting sent to the AHL a dead end, Playfair has done nothing but good things since being the coach of that team. If anything getting sent to the AHL helps, with this type of thinking are you saying Brodie is never going to be a good player? Since when is throwing youth straight into the NHL a good idea, most of them struggle when that is done unless your a elite player, even they do.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

It's seen as a dead end because if a prospect can't make the team directly out of junior he's a bust.

A player playing in the AHL is the norm, not the other way around. Unless they're playing in a European league.

Old
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
If he isn't, being sent to the AHL is usually a dead end when you're in the Flames organization.
Yeah, that is one keen observation.

Moss, Nystrom, Pardy, Giordano, Kobasew, Prust, Lombardi, Boyd, Backlund, Wilson all had their careers flat line after spending time with the Calgary Flames AHL affiliate.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post

Moss, Nystrom, Pardy, Giordano, Kobasew, Prust, Lombardi, Boyd, Backlund, Wilson all had their careers flat line after spending time with the Calgary Flames AHL affiliate.
How can you know that Backlund had his career flat line? He's played 48 career games in the NHL and a whopping total of 54 games in the AHL. Let him actually play for a bit, and then come back and see how he turns out?

Gio seems to be doing just fine to me...

Nystrom and Prust are grinders. Last time I checked, grinders don't put up a ton of points in the NHL. Both are not skilled enough to put up 40+ points a season, and they understand their roles.

Janks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:17 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
How can you know that Backlund had his career flat line? He's played 48 career games in the NHL and a whopping total of 54 games in the AHL. Let him actually play for a bit, and then come back and see how he turns out?

Gio seems to be doing just fine to me...

Nystrom and Prust are grinders. Last time I checked, grinders don't put up a ton of points in the NHL. Both are not skilled enough to put up 40+ points a season, and they understand their roles.
My post was complete and utter sarcasm from top to bottom.

The notion that the Flames org doesn't give young guys a chance is a gigantic load of hooey.

Old
11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Signature
Unsustainable™

Quote:
My post was complete and utter sarcasm from top to bottom.

The notion that the Flames org doesn't give young guys a chance is a gigantic load of hooey.
Hey, if it counts for anything, I laughed. c:

Old
11-30-2010, 02:00 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
How is getting sent to the AHL a dead end, Playfair has done nothing but good things since being the coach of that team. If anything getting sent to the AHL helps, with this type of thinking are you saying Brodie is never going to be a good player? Since when is throwing youth straight into the NHL a good idea, most of them struggle when that is done unless your a elite player, even they do.
Nah, you're just assuming things. Brodie proved he can play with a good off-season bulk.

Quote:

Boyd is not really an NHLer and does not help your argument.

Giordano went to Russia to AVOID playing in the AHL again. Putting him on that list is laughable. Everyone knows that playing in Russia is what made him the player he is today.

After that, 4 of those players were pre-Sutter acquisitions. Seniority has always been a big factor in Sutter's teams so they gradually made the team. I'll also add that just one of those 4 guys is still on the team. The rest were expendable. Kobasew and Lombardi both seem to have trouble finding a permanent role in the NHL.

There's no real difference between pylon Pardy and one of our AHLers like Pelech. Once again simply seniority ruling.

Wilson is actually a player I had in mind. He would have never had a chance with the Calgary Flames. Same goes for Keith Aulie, and David van der Gulik. When they get traded, they become NHLers. Funny. Then of course there's Ritchie Regehr, who at one point people thought was better than Giordano, Tim Ramholt, most goalies within our system including Krahn, Sabourin, Keetley, McElhinney etc. who either do nothing or do nothing until traded.

Last edited by saillias: 11-30-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:

Boyd is not really an NHLer and does not help your argument.

Giordano went to Russia to AVOID playing in the AHL again. Putting him on that list is laughable. Everyone knows that playing in Russia is what made him the player he is today.

After that, 4 of those players were pre-Sutter acquisitions. Seniority has always been a big factor in Sutter's teams so they gradually made the team. I'll also add that just one of those 4 guys is still on the team. The rest were expendable. Kobasew and Lombardi both seem to have trouble finding a permanent role in the NHL.

There's no real difference between pylon Pardy and one of our AHLers like Pelech. Once again simply seniority ruling.

Wilson is actually a player I had in mind. He would have never had a chance with the Calgary Flames. Same goes for Keith Aulie, and David van der Gulik. When they get traded, they become NHLers. Funny. Then of course there's Ritchie Regehr, who at one point people thought was better than Giordano, Tim Ramholt, most goalies within our system including Krahn, Sabourin, Keetley, McElhinney etc. who either do nothing or do nothing until traded.

You said, and I quote "being sent to the AHL is usually a dead end when you're in the Flames organization."

I provided a list of players that prove that statement to be completely false, no matter what they're doing now, who they were drafted by, and yada, yada, yada.

End of story.

Old
11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Pilkington

Quote:
Giordano was a very good NHL defenseman when he was forced to go to Russia. He was very good at the NHL level the previous year and then Sutter used his vast knowledge in hockey and signed Anders Eriksson over Giordano.

Playing a year in Russia didn't suddenly make Giordano a superstar. If that was true the Flames would have started an affiliation to send all their prospects there. Only thing that year in the KHL did was delay his breakout season in the NHL by a year. And force us to watch Anders Eriksson mock the sport with his giveaways and own goals.