HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

quotes from today on TSN (November 29th., 2010)

Old
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Baba Ganoush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattVenca View Post

Whats your plan to turn this team around?
'Well it depends on what you consider turning it around'

Why is there such a rush to improve the leafs via free agency instead of draft?
'Because I'm in a hurry'
these responses disturbed me the most. better be something going on behind closed doors...or Burke needs to go.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

****... this team is doomed!!

Can we just get rid of the management? Coach, GM and most importantly the owners. They are ****ing horrible. The scouts and Nonis are fine by me.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:32 PM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Suppressing the natural urge to call him on his obvious BS, I'll just say one thing:

This sounds like an NHL GM who is preparing to use more future assets to improve the current the team.
I dont agree at all. Burke will not panic and pick up a 30 something year old hockey player.

To me he sounds like a GM determined to stay on the same track he has been on despite all the crys of outrage.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
The Beyonder

Interview: http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip381880

This sounds like bullroar. He's blinking hell of a lot more than usual. ... I don't know what to make of this, I'm surprised he's not ripping these guys to shreds or atleast taking responsiblity for this mess.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
if there's actually nothing going on behind the scenes, and those were his honest and serious responses, we're in ****ing trouble gals/fellas.
I would rather he not do anything then make a panic move trading future for some help now.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
jimmycarter

Quote:
if there's actually nothing going on behind the scenes, and those were his honest and serious responses, we're in ****ing trouble gals/fellas.

amen.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

vCash: 50
Fire Wilson!

deleteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Standardly

this clown needs to go back to America. He is not fit for the Toronto market. He acts like he's bigger than leaf fans and this historic franchise. You can't be an arrogant SOB's running a franchise like the leafs.

Brian Burke is a cement head

if you want to go to law school and are uncertain as to whether you can get through it or not, know that Brian Burke has a law degree. He traded 2 first rounders from one of the worst teams in the league for Phil Kessel. I'm sure you'll do fine in law school people. If that cement head can do it, so can you.

Standardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
rumman

the Sex pistols said it best......no future

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
****... this team is doomed!!

Can we just get rid of the management? Coach, GM and most importantly the owners. They are ****ing horrible. The scouts and Nonis are fine by me.
The other side of the coin, hysterics who want to blow everything up and start all over again.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:41 PM
RoryDelap
Stoke-on-Toronto

I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying... or not saying. I wouldn't show my cards either.

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Don't blame you, I'm that naive also.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
robr00

Burke is in denial or is simply lying to fans

either possibility is depressing. What a joke

robr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach View Post
or the radio ... or the newspapers ... or anyone who has ever read or heard any of the above ...
this guy's gotta be in a thicker bubble than George Bush.
He probably doesn't sweat the masses much.

My guess is Burke is probably MENSA level, which puts him ahead of 98% of the population. Does this mean he'll be successful? No. That said it's understandable he'd block out 98% of the population because he's probably come to realize over his lifetime, they're just not that bright.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying... or not saying. I wouldn't show my cards either.
There are many too young or naive to see this.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:49 PM
javier

Even if he felt differently I dont think he's going to say it.

As far as this teams' compete level, lol, they dont even try to match the other teams compete level, almost every game. They dont backcheck hard, they dont block shots and they dont go to the front of the net. They've lost many of these games even before the puck gets dropped. And as far as making the playoffs, the season is already over. If you were to give Brian Burke a grade right now what would it be? For me I'd give him a D- with the chance for an F at the end of the year. Wilson already has his F.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Burke is just another puppet for MLSE. He says because I'm in a hurry...ONLY in Toronto can a GM come in and have the urge to do things in a rush...Nothing will change until MLSE sells this team which will never happen. There was no need for Burke to come in and rush this situation and now we have to suffer through this. It's been said time after time after time after time. The only way this team is going to get better is through a proper rebuild. What I mean about that is the main focus is on the draft. No you don't have to have top picks but you do need a purpose of drafting well, keeping picks, adding to the scouting staff. Look at what AA has done in less than two years with the Jays farm system and compare it to what Burke has done. Granted there are more rounds but you can't deny that AA has done a complete turnaround with that team. He upped the scouting staff and has made it his duty to put a big importance on the draft. The Leafs go in cycles and every GM does it the same every single time. I want a GM that will not worry about backlash from media/and or fans and just take it easy, take the time to develop a proper young nucleus of OUR OWN picks. You can't deny the success of most teams with that philosophy.

And again starting in 2012 I hope we go 5 or 6 years without dealing a first round pick we seriously need to keep our 1st rounders. They are gold in the new NHL. We need to go a half a decade at least IMO to have a good young nucleus to look at and say these are our core group going forward. And same could be said about trading them a couple years after. We need to give them time to develop as well. But hey I'm talking from my heart of what needs to be done. I highly doubt that any GM will have that much patience for a team like the Leafs. All the hurry for what exactly...we've waited 43 years already..you might as well take the time to do it right.

Last edited by Stats01: 11-29-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
He probably doesn't sweat the masses much.

My guess is Burke is probably MENSA level, which puts him ahead of 98% of the population. Does this mean he'll be successful? No. That said it's understandable he'd block out 98% of the population because he's probably come to realize over his lifetime, they're just not that bright.
He's an executive in a corporate entertainment firm, not an elected official.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
IBeL13f
There Is Pain Coming

My least favourite comments were that the coaching staff are fine and that he's in a hurry.

The work ethic has been dreadful for the past 15 games or so (with a couple exceptions), and it seems obvious that Wilson has totally lost this team. He hasn't changed his systems at all, even though it's extremely obvious that nothing is working. We have a group of guys who are capable of playing their ***** off and putting in a good effort night in and night out, but they simply don't want to do it for Wilson. Bring in a coach who knows how to utilize the strengths of a team. Our only strengths right now are defence and speed. Wilson is not using either very well.

Burke needs to stick with what he said when he first started. That any trade he makes should not only help us right now, but also in the future. If he makes any stop-gap trades, I will not be very happy, and I'm a guy who has been sticking by Burke. This interview didn't make me feel better about the current state of this team.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:52 PM
LannysStach
Thou shall

He's really impressed with the team!

Good news! All is well. Brian is really impressed with the team so far!
Grrrrrreat.

this quote from the TSN story is just ... scary ...

"I think we have a great work ethic, a great group of guys," Burke said. "I love the character of the team and I love the work ethic. I'm really impressed with the group."

Have you guys noticed that "great work ethic" this year? Or the strong "character" on the team? Or the "work ethic" that he mentioned a second time cuz it's so good?

This is the old delusional-or-blind routine.

LannysStach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
It's strange really. I mean do I expect him to come out and break down and cry and say I ****ed up with the kessel and should of rebuild, I guess not.

However sh!ting on this team and setting it back 5+ years, to belittle, insult the intelligence of every fan with these utter ***** is well wow...

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
And like that Brian Burke ***** on the leafs fans that are already in the sewer

I'm starting to get really sick and tired about how much Mgmt treats fans like crap.

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
Suppressing the natural urge to call him on his obvious BS, I'll just say one thing:

This sounds like an NHL GM who is preparing to use more future assets to improve the current the team.
And this sounds like ignorant HF poster who basing that on nothing but his own opinions.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:56 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Burke is just another puppet for MLSE. He says because I'm in a hurry...ONLY in Toronto can a GM come in and have the urge to do things in a rush...Nothing will change until MLSE sells this team which will never happen. There was no need for Burke to come in and rush this situation and now we have to suffer through this. It's been said time after time after time after time. The only way this team is going to get better is through a proper rebuild. What I mean about that is the main focus is on the draft. No you don't have to have top picks but you do need a purpose of drafting well, keeping picks, adding to the scouting staff. Look at what AA has done in less than two years with the Jays farm system and compare it to what Burke has done. Granted there are more rounds but you can't deny that AA has done a complete turnaround with that team. He upped the scouting staff and has made it his duty to put a big importance on the draft. The Leafs go in cycles and every GM does it the same every single time. I want a GM that will not worry about backlash from media/and or fans and just take it easy, take the time to develop a proper young nucleus of OUR OWN picks. You can't deny the success of most teams with that philosophy.
WORD

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
He's an executive in a corporate entertainment firm, not an elected official.
Both jobs involving listening to a lot of idiots who rarely have half a clue what they are talking about.

Read the comments sections on news boards sometime if you want a true scare as to what's around you.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote