HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

quotes from today on TSN (November 29th., 2010)

Old
11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
KapG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Bay View Post
And this sounds like ignorant HF poster who basing that on nothing but his own opinions.
he did it already for kessel...

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I'll have to find the interview, but those answers sound rather petulant to me.

If there's one thing a guy with an ego that big hates, it's being humiliated. And that's exactly what's happening to him here in Toronto. He has badly misjudged his hockey team two years in a row, and has had two poor offseasons in a row on top of it. After all the hot air in the media, Burke I'm sure is smart enough to know how ridiculous he looks right now.

Burkie's a love him or hate him kind of guy, and those that dislike him in the hockey world are having a grand old time right now.
I'd have to agree with this all, well said.

The "Because I'm in a hurry" quote is just plain ********.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattVenca View Post
Whats your plan to turn this team around?
'Well it depends on what you consider turning it around'
Well it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

In Burke we trust, right guys?

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannysStach View Post
Good news! All is well. Brian is really impressed with the team so far!
Grrrrrreat.

this quote from the TSN story is just ... scary ...

"I think we have a great work ethic, a great group of guys," Burke said. "I love the character of the team and I love the work ethic. I'm really impressed with the group."

Have you guys noticed that "great work ethic" this year? Or the strong "character" on the team? Or the "work ethic" that he mentioned a second time cuz it's so good?

This is the old delusional-or-blind routine.
What do you want him too say?

There are some pretty thick people here.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
I don't see anything wrong with what he's saying... or not saying. I wouldn't show my cards either.
I think the problem with what he says comes in the form of how he said it.

It's fine to not show your cards, but do it properly. This IMO didn't help Burke win over any fans.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Things that aren't completely absurd and frustrating for fans to hear?

I don't expect him to come out and say he failed and apologize to everyone, but he could at least try to keep it real.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:01 PM
javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Burke is just another puppet for MLSE. He says because I'm in a hurry...ONLY in Toronto can a GM come in and have the urge to do things in a rush...Nothing will change until MLSE sells this team which will never happen. There was no need for Burke to come in and rush this situation and now we have to suffer through this. It's been said time after time after time after time. The only way this team is going to get better is through a proper rebuild. What I mean about that is the main focus is on the draft. No you don't have to have top picks but you do need a purpose of drafting well, keeping picks, adding to the scouting staff. Look at what AA has done in less than two years with the Jays farm system and compare it to what Burke has done. Granted there are more rounds but you can't deny that AA has done a complete turnaround with that team. He upped the scouting staff and has made it his duty to put a big importance on the draft. The Leafs go in cycles and every GM does it the same every single time. I want a GM that will not worry about backlash from media/and or fans and just take it easy, take the time to develop a proper young nucleus of OUR OWN picks. You can't deny the success of most teams with that philosophy.
Here's the problem with your argument, while AA has shown more ability than BB, the Jays have lame ass ownership that doesnt spend, so all of AA's good work gets undermined by lack of support. BB has ownership that supports him right to the top of the cap and beyond and gives him whatever resources he needs. AA may never get a real chance to show what he can do, BB has all the money and automony he could ask for, so if BB fails its 100% his fault. Going foward as bad as the Leafs are now, they still have a better chance than the Blue Jays.

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
he did it already for kessel...
That's not what the other fella was saying.

He's assuming based on an interview, He was going to do some short term "Banaid" deal. Which is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
dirk41

Gino: What do you plan to do about your current lack of scoring.
Burke: Score more goals.

Oh, Burke, you so crazy.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Here's problem with your argument, while AA has shown more ability than BB, the Jays have lame ass ownership that doesnt spend, so all of AA's good work gets undermined by lack of support. BB has ownership that supports him right to the top of the cap and beyond and gives him whatever resources he needs. AA may never get a real chance to show what he can do, BB has all the money and automony he could ask for, so if BB fails its 100% his fault. Going foward as bad as the Leafs are now, they still have a better chance than the Blue Jays.
pretty sure the last 5 - 7 years the jays have been in the upper half of spending in the MLBS. some years top 10 perhaps?

Rogers has also stated that they have no problem spending money to make this team a contender....when it is ready.

I dont think you know what you are talking about with regards to the jays?

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

I don't expect him to come out and say he failed and apologize to everyone, but he could at least try to keep it real.
And say what?

What could Brian Burke of said in that interview that would not result in him getting scolded by fans?

The anwser, Is nothing.

So at least he's stucking to guns.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
reza87

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Must mean a trade is imminent. Doesn't want to say anything bad about anyone.
This is my interpretation as well.

For the most part our defence and goaltending has been able to keep up with most teams, I view those as strong positives when compared to last year when we didn't have offence, defence or goaltending. Of course, we need goals. Once we start generating those wins will come a lot easier.

reza87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
LannysStach
Thou shall

Quote:

There are some pretty thick people here.
drop the insults.

what do i expect him to say? Maybe start with some truths . . .

there is NOT a work ethic on this team ... most players are routinely beat one-on-one ... and they're more scared of the dirty areas than a princess.

if there IS a gameplan, the players aren't executing it.
the special teams are the worst in the league for the second year in a row . . . if you don't want to mention the coach, then it's the players who aren't disciplined in either dept.

the team needs to come out stronger to start games ...

there are a TON of truths he could discuss ... obvious to everyone ... but ignored and denied their existence by the guy in charge.

I except him to take responsibility ... and all he does is blame others and say everything he's done is exactly right.

LannysStach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
He probably doesn't sweat the masses much.

My guess is Burke is probably MENSA level, which puts him ahead of 98% of the population. Does this mean he'll be successful? No. That said it's understandable he'd block out 98% of the population because he's probably come to realize over his lifetime, they're just not that bright.
Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that MENSA Burke has put horrible hockey teams on the ice two years in a row. If he doesn't like hearing that from the great unwashed, well, too ****ing bad.

If Burke goes under and leaves town with his tail tucked between his legs, he won't be the first (or last) coach GM or player to be eaten up and spit out again by the Toronto market. Not by a long shot.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

Burke is keeping it real..

Burke believes in his mind that he has assembled an NHL Team capable of competing for a playoff spot last season and also this one.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
javier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
pretty sure the last 5 - 7 years the jays have been in the upper half of spending in the MLBS. some years top 10 perhaps?

Rogers has also stated that they have no problem spending money to make this team a contender....when it is ready.

I dont think you know what you are talking about with regards to the jays?
Take a close look, they spent maybe once in the last ten years. What was the payroll last year? What is it going to be this year? Its pathetic, they should be in the 130 M range every year, and a couple of years ago JP came on the radio and said the payroll was going to be in 120 M range for the 2010 season and low and behold what happened? 2010 comes around and JP isnt even there and the payroll isnt even half of that. Rogers can say whatever they want about spending but lets see them actually do it for once. I listened to Paul Beeston come on the radio a few weeks ago and he said that ownership didnt even give AA a budget number to work with, WTF, are you serious? How do you expect AA to do his job if he doesnt even know the limit to his team payroll. What a joke.

Old
11-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
And say what?

What could Brian Burke of said in that interview that would not result in him getting scolded by fans?

The anwser, Is nothing.

So at least he's stucking to guns.
Nothing would be good. It beats blatantly contradicting yourself.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
HemskyToHall*

Kessel will always be better, Seguin is unproven.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic View Post
I would rather he not do anything then make a panic move trading future for some help now.
well he doesn't have to. not all trades have to involve prospects/picks for roster players...but we clearly need some sort of shake up.

Beauchemin/Komisarek come to mind, but i'm uncertain as to what their value is...but if either of them could land us some sort of forward help, that would be nice.

i'm definitely not in support of a trade involving our prospects/picks...but we have plenty of players on our roster with value. some wouldn't want a guy like MacArthur to go since he's playing so well...but he's got to have quite a high value right now with his cap hit and production.

i don't even know what i want to be honest...i have no clue. i just want to start winning, and this group isn't getting it done.

this is the least interested i've been in Leafs hockey in my entire life. i never used to miss a minute of any game...but now as soon as they're down 2 goals, i watch something else. something's gotta give here!

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

he seems so angry in this interview.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
javier

Also keep in mind that TSN is a troll website, they live to bash the leafs every chance they get so I dont trust them at all.

Old
Boondock

The issue I would have with Burke if I was a Leafs fan is the contradictions in philosophy. When he took over he said it wasn't a rebuild, he has mentioned several times that he isn't rebuilding and because he isn't rebuilding he traded away draft picks and prospects. Then on the other hand he says it's a process and it takes time (sounds like GM speak for rebuild) and he traded away Poni, Antro, amongst others for picks/prospects (looks a little like a rebuild). I have to wonder if Burke actually has a long term plan, or is he just making moves on the fly.

I think the Versteeg trade is a microcosm of the Leafs so far this season - they target Chicago because of their cap issues, and they land Versteeg and Sweatt, Ladd and Bufuglien got shipped out to Atlanta, well Ladd and Bufuglian are having career years, and Versteeg is struggling and Sweatt signed with the Canucks. Did Burke target the wrong player? Was the asking price too high? I don't know the answers, but if I was a Leaf fan, I would be asking myself why.

I also think that most Toronto fans would have embraced a rebuild, most Leaf fans (while biased) are fairly knowledgeable, so they could see the benefits of a rebuild seeing as young players and high draft picks seem like the blue print for building a cup winner in the current NHL

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Also keep in mind that TSN is a troll website, they live to bash the leafs every chance they get so I dont trust them at all.
As a fan in another Canadian market, I'd have to say you're wrong - TSN paints everything Leaf with rose coloured glasses as far as I'm concerned.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
As a fan in another Canadian market, I'd have to say you're wrong - TSN paints everything Leaf with rose coloured glasses as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe they used to at one time, but certainly not any more.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
The issue I would have with Burke if I was a Leafs fan is the contradictions in philosophy. When he took over he said it wasn't a rebuild, he has mentioned several times that he isn't rebuilding and because he isn't rebuilding he traded away draft picks and prospects. Then on the other hand he says it's a process and it takes time (sounds like GM speak for rebuild) and he traded away Poni, Antro, amongst others for picks/prospects (looks a little like a rebuild). I have to wonder if Burke actually has a long term plan, or is he just making moves on the fly.

I also think that most Toronto fans would have embraced a rebuild, most Leaf fans (while biased) are fairly knowledgeable, so they could see the benefits of a rebuild seeing as young players and high draft picks seem like the blue print for building a cup winner in the current NHL
Nicely sums it up!

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote