HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Lee from Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2010, 12:31 PM
  #1
OhNoItsComeau57
Registered User
 
OhNoItsComeau57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Brian Lee from Ottawa

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

I had read somewhere the Sens were shopping him but this comes as a surprise. He has definitely underachieved for a top 10 pick but has good size (6'2" 200+ pounds) and is still very young.

I think we have a sufficient amount of other teams cast offs but we have been decimated with defensive injuries this year. I think if only for a few weeks to bridge the gap I could see us picking him up. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

Thoughts?

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:43 PM
  #2
macleod50
Registered User
 
macleod50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsComeau57 View Post
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

I had read somewhere the Sens were shopping him but this comes as a surprise. He has definitely underachieved for a top 10 pick but has good size (6'2" 200+ pounds) and is still very young.

I think we have a sufficient amount of other teams cast offs but we have been decimated with defensive injuries this year. I think if only for a few weeks to bridge the gap I could see us picking him up. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

Thoughts?
He's better than Gervais, Hillen, and Reese.

That said, he'll probably clear.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
  #3
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
I don't think we need another Right Handed shot Defenceman.

If there's a good Right Handed Winger available, I think Snow will/should be all over it.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
  #4
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,545
vCash: 500
I can't wait for the day that when someone is placed on waivers we don't seriously think about how that person would fit into this team. God I hate being this bad! **** you wang and snow!!!!!!

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
  #5
It Was 4 to 1*
Registered User
 
It Was 4 to 1*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
He's better than Gervais, Hillen, and Reese.

That said, he'll probably clear.
debatable

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:12 PM
  #6
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
I don't think we need another Right Handed shot Defenceman.

If there's a good Right Handed Winger available, I think Snow will/should be all over it.
Okposo.

I'd like to take him but I doubt Garth will.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:17 PM
  #7
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Deja vu all over again...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
  #8
Isles Shawn
Registered User
 
Isles Shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Garth? Get out of there Garth, stop jumping in the trash!





Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:49 PM
  #9
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I can't wait for the day that when someone is placed on waivers we don't seriously think about how that person would fit into this team. God I hate being this bad! **** you wang and snow!!!!!!
Being waved equals, we don't want you on our team, because (probably) you're not good enough.

Its a shame that all the other team's cast-offs should (and can!) be considered fodder for the Isles.

If they aren't good enough for their team, their talent might be good enough for our marginally talent team, right?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
  #10
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,776
vCash: 500
He won't clear. Jersey and Chicago possible destinations.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
  #11
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,307
vCash: 500
If he is better than what we have, which he may as well be. I do not have a problem picking him since we are not going to go out and trade for someone. I would imagine he has to be better than Gervais and Hillen but we have alot of injuries in the bridge as well.

Its sucks that this is what NYI does to get players on the team instead of trying to obtain real talent through sigings and trades. We shop at the dollar store.

I will say this, last year when wang was helping Rice campaign for supervisor I think?? Not sure if that was the position. He was wearing a Mickey Mouse jacket that was 20 years old. So we should not be surprised.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
  #12
ledzep1212
COYB
 
ledzep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lindenhurst
Country: United States
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
He's better than Gervais, Hillen, and Reese.

That said, he'll probably clear.
Whats with the hate for Reese? Dude has been solid since coming up.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
  #13
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Whats with the hate for Reese? Dude has been solid since coming up.
Seriously, I've had no problems with Reese. He's a good #6 defenseman, and luckily he hasn't played more than that.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:58 PM
  #14
macleod50
Registered User
 
macleod50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Whats with the hate for Reese? Dude has been solid since coming up.
I guess our definitions of solid are quite different then.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:04 PM
  #15
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,883
vCash: 500
New York Waiverlanders

__________________

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
  #16
CodeE
Registered User
 
CodeE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,290
vCash: 500
Seeing a lot of similarities between Lee, Grabner, and Schremp - specifically that they're former first round picks who struggled to find a spot on their old team. Seems to be the type of player Garth likes to take a shot on.

Make all the snarky comments about dumpster diving you want, grabbing guys on waivers is basically the only way to get new talent on this team.

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:27 PM
  #17
BennyBST
Registered User
 
BennyBST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
would be a better waiver pickup than Thomas Pock a couple of years ago.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
  #18
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
If he is better than what we have, which he may as well be. I do not have a problem picking him since we are not going to go out and trade for someone. I would imagine he has to be better than Gervais and Hillen but we have alot of injuries in the bridge as well.

Its sucks that this is what NYI does to get players on the team instead of trying to obtain real talent through sigings and trades. We shop at the dollar store.

I will say this, last year when wang was helping Rice campaign for supervisor I think?? Not sure if that was the position. He was wearing a Mickey Mouse jacket that was 20 years old. So we should not be surprised.
It's not like we have any assets to trade that would bring in a quality dman. Look at what Washington gave up to get a year of Hannan who wasn't even playing all that well. Thatms a large part of the reason the waiver wire is attractive to us. Plus it's not like Ottawa is trying to get rid of him, they just recognize he needs too play to develo and since he's not cracking their top 6 they're sending him down to the AHL.

Given the boatload of injuries, I'd like to see us grab him.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
  #19
Isles72
Registered User
 
Isles72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
seems to be alot of mixed reactions on the sens board

I think the isles strongly consider claiming him , especially with all the injuries on the pro and farm

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
  #20
BennyBST
Registered User
 
BennyBST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
seems to be alot of mixed reactions on the sens board

I think the isles strongly consider claiming him , especially with all the injuries on the pro and farm
Yeah it wouldn't hurt sending Hamonic back to Bridgeport either, he hasn't been bad it's just that he shouldn't be rushed. He really can start to try and develop an offensive touch if he's assigned back there.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
  #21
mitchy22
Registered User
 
mitchy22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Even if Lee is only here for a first pass, or to skate the puck to the redline and dump it in, that's an improvement for us right now. I'd even offer him an opportunity to get some PP time. He couldn't be much worse than what we've been using on the 2nd unit.

Our team is still lacking in NHL depth. Add injuries to that scenario, and that's the reason why the waiver wire looks attractive.

That said, we need help at the top, not at the bottom. Unless Lee has truly been mishandled, he may not be much of an upgrade. We could add Lee so we don't have to rush Hamonic. That said, Hamonic hasn't looked out of place and is much grittier than Lee.
Alternatively, we could add Lee so as to buy us time to further evaluate Hamonic.

I'd bring in Lee. I'd let him sit for 2 games to watch the system. After that, I'd rotate the bottom pairing d-men until Hamonic has played 9 games (assuming he's continued to look good.) Then, we might have some players back, or we'll at least have a better sample size to figure out whether it's worth it to burn a year off Hamonic's contract.

We're probably one of the only teams in the league who wishes Lee was a lefty shot. I can't wait for Streit and MacDonald to get back.

,
Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
  #22
Dutch Frost
Battle Level
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
I think Wang should erect a statue in the parking lot of himself like lady liberty reading "Give us your under achievers, Your wasted draft picks and league minimum contracts yearning to Play Hockey"

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:24 PM
  #23
Ziggy16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
AMac and Hillen will be back this week.. we have no more room for dmen...

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
  #24
Seph
Registered User
 
Seph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oregon
Country: South Korea
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
AMac and Hillen will be back this week.. we have no more room for dmen...
MacDonald-Wiz
Eaton-Martinek
Hillen-Lee
Scratch Reese and Hamonic to the AHL.

I see room even when they get back.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
  #25
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
MacDonald-Wiz
Eaton-Martinek
Hillen-Lee
Scratch Reese and Hamonic to the AHL.

I see room even when they get back.
What about Gervais? He HAS to be in there.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.