Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chara usage next year.

Old
06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
bosbruin

vCash: 500
Chara usage next year.

Ok, so winning the President's trophy was a big bust. That being said, this is my idea for Charas ice time next year. In the final 20 games, I want Chara to only play in about 8 to 10 games. He is usually way too tired to play playoff hockey at this point. I'm at the point where it doesn't matter where you finish in the standings anymore. Just get in and go hard.

bosbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosbruin View Post
Ok, so winning the President's trophy was a big bust. That being said, this is my idea for Charas ice time next year. In the final 20 games, I want Chara to only play in about 8 to 10 games. He is usually way too tired to play playoff hockey at this point. I'm at the point where it doesn't matter where you finish in the standings anymore. Just get in and go hard.
Think his "being tired" was waaaay over blown and his playing with a compound fracture of his finger was waaaay overlooked.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosbruin View Post
I'm in complete agreement, and I think he should be playing closer to 22 minutes/game for the entire year...sadly I don't think Claude agrees

Losing Seidenberg really bit them in the ass in the long run.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Think his "being tired" was waaaay over blown and his playing with a compound fracture of his finger was waaaay overlooked.
Yep. They had plenty of rest between the Detroit series and Montreal series.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
Yep. They had plenty of rest between the Detroit series and Montreal series.
double OT in game 1 cancelled that out.

i've been saying what the OP is saying for 2 years now. 33 should be treated like a starting goalie and rested whenever possible. Like i've said before: If not for his countryman voting him the flag bearer he would have had 2 MORE meaningless games under his belt. Extremely short sighted player personnel management by the coaching staff on this one. resting chara should have been a season long strategy, not a "hey look, prez trophy, ok you don't have to go to NJ then".

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:30 AM
qc

vCash: 2000
I'd prefer to manage his minutes throughout the entire year, opposed to just giving him a bunch of games off at the end of the reg season. I'm not Chara's biographer, but many players rely on keeping a particular rhythm (for lack of a better term). Just put a cap on his max TOI per game (I'd say 22 is a good number) and roll him out every night that he's healthy.

qc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 12:02 PM
EverettMike

I would sacrifice some power play success if it meant getting him fewer minutes by keeping him off of it entirely.

I have never understood why Looch can't be told, "stand in front of the net and don't ****ing move." Why do we need to give Chara extra tough, getting cross-checked and slashed minutes when we have forwards who can take them instead.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
rcduthie77

I think the biggest factor in this will be the Bruins second pairing this season.

When you can roll two pairings made up of Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton & Boychuk you can really manage the minutes.

Even better yet when the third pair of Krug-McQuaid/Miller can easily log 17.

So just for math sake, if Krug & partner log 17 a night. That leaves 43 minutes.

All four of 33, 44, 27 & 55 can play PK so that shouldn't make a big difference.

43 minutes divides out to 21:30 for each of our top two pairs!!

If Chara plays an average, even round it up, of 22:00 a night this season I think that is a pretty good track for success.

rcduthie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Don't give him any PP time.

He hits the net once a week and Lucic is plenty big enough to screen and get rebounds in front of the net.

Krug and Hamilton are both capable of being PP QBs, I expect Krug to be a lot better next year after a lot of experience this year (which is scary) and I also expect Hamilton to have a massive breakout year. Give them some more ice time, they have the younger legs and they have a lot more experience and can be trusted. Give Chara 1st pairing ES minutes and PK minutes. No need to put him on the PP anymore. But I definitely agree, a lot of the "tired" stuff is really overblown. I know a finger injury doesn't affect your speed, but Chara isn't a speedster anyway, and I wouldn't be able to get out of bed with a compound fracture, let alone firing slap slots and getting slashed. He's still an elite 1st pairing dman and we need him to be one. We don't need him to put up 40-50 points anymore. Krug is our offensive guy, Hamilton is a two-way D but he'll start potting loads of points as well.

On the PP:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla (if re-signed)
Krug-Boychuk

Soderberg-Bergeron
Eriksson and Smith rotate at the wall/point, Hamilton at the point

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 02:52 PM
qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcduthie77 View Post
I think the biggest factor in this will be the Bruins second pairing this season.

When you can roll two pairings made up of Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton & Boychuk you can really manage the minutes.

Even better yet when the third pair of Krug-McQuaid/Miller can easily log 17.

So just for math sake, if Krug & partner log 17 a night. That leaves 43 minutes.

All four of 33, 44, 27 & 55 can play PK so that shouldn't make a big difference.

43 minutes divides out to 21:30 for each of our top two pairs!!

If Chara plays an average, even round it up, of 22:00 a night this season I think that is a pretty good track for success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Don't give him any PP time.

He hits the net once a week and Lucic is plenty big enough to screen and get rebounds in front of the net.

Krug and Hamilton are both capable of being PP QBs, I expect Krug to be a lot better next year after a lot of experience this year (which is scary) and I also expect Hamilton to have a massive breakout year. Give them some more ice time, they have the younger legs and they have a lot more experience and can be trusted. Give Chara 1st pairing ES minutes and PK minutes. No need to put him on the PP anymore. But I definitely agree, a lot of the "tired" stuff is really overblown. I know a finger injury doesn't affect your speed, but Chara isn't a speedster anyway, and I wouldn't be able to get out of bed with a compound fracture, let alone firing slap slots and getting slashed. He's still an elite 1st pairing dman and we need him to be one. We don't need him to put up 40-50 points anymore. Krug is our offensive guy, Hamilton is a two-way D but he'll start potting loads of points as well.

On the PP:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla (if re-signed)
Krug-Boychuk

Soderberg-Bergeron
Eriksson and Smith rotate at the wall/point, Hamilton at the point
Co-signed.

Old
06-05-2014, 03:07 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as Chara seems to be on the back 9,I'd allow a playoff mulligan based on playing NHL hockey with a badly broken finger. Definitely time to reduce his minutes and his games. Good luck with that.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
NiKrejci

Against tough teams 22 mins/game
Bad teams 18 mins/game
Off the power play

Do that for the season and pray.

His cap hit sucks now.

NiKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 03:24 PM
EverettMike

Norris finalist, leading d-man on the team that gave up the 2nd fewest goals in the league, true-shut-down defensman.

"Cap hit sucks now."

This place is amazing.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 03:29 PM
qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKrejci View Post
Against tough teams 22 mins/game
Bad teams 18 mins/game
Off the power play

Do that for the season and pray.

His cap hit sucks now.
You take his dominant defensive play for granted. In fact, I think many Bruins fans simply don't realize how much of an impact he has on opposing offensive schemes when he's on the ice. He's no longer the best defenseman in the game by any stretch of the imagination, but he is still one of the hardest guys to play against in the entire league.

When he's gone...

Old
06-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
i'd be okay with 22-24 minutes a night, minimal PP time. ideally you get him some rest over the last few weeks of the season, but i have hunch that the B's will be in a tougher fight for playoff position than last season so that may not happen

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 03:42 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Norris finalist, leading d-man on the team that gave up the 2nd fewest goals in the league, true-shut-down defensman.

"Cap hit sucks now."

This place is amazing.
In fairness he was washed up, over the hill, too slow and in a clear decline when he did those things.

Old
06-05-2014, 04:25 PM
RustyBruins72

Quote:

"Cap hit sucks now."

This place is amazing.
that's pretty good.

I still enjoyed "let's trade Rask now for Perron" ?? (I think it was perron I saw)

I think losing #44 had a great deal to do with the D's struggles in the playoffs. I think #33 needs to get off the PP and concentrate on what he does best.

I also think his finger was also a HUGE deal for him and how he played.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:34 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBruins72 View Post
that's pretty good.

I still enjoyed "let's trade Rask now for Perron" ?? (I think it was perron I saw)

I think losing #44 had a great deal to do with the D's struggles in the playoffs. I think #33 needs to get off the PP and concentrate on what he does best.

I also think his finger was also a HUGE deal for him and how he played.
He lead the entire team in PP goals on the year and through the post season. League wide for defensemen, only PK Subban had more pp goals in the playoffs and only Shea Weber had more in the regular season.

Old
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc View Post
I'd prefer to manage his minutes throughout the entire year, opposed to just giving him a bunch of games off at the end of the reg season. I'm not Chara's biographer, but many players rely on keeping a particular rhythm (for lack of a better term). Just put a cap on his max TOI per game (I'd say 22 is a good number) and roll him out every night that he's healthy.
I would do the same.It gives others who we hope to step up,like Hamilton,more ice time.They may want to shorten the length of his shifts.Ray Bourque continued to log a lot of ice time right up until his last year but he shortened up his shifts .

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
He lead the entire team in PP goals on the year and through the post season. League wide for defensemen, only PK Subban had more pp goals in the playoffs and only Shea Weber had more in the regular season.
That's only because he played forward on the power play.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Chara's ice time has continually been reduced each year since he's been in Boston.

He was only 14th in average ice time amongst defensemen this past season.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:42 PM
talkinaway

Chara's in phenomenal physical shape - the guy's a beast in the gym. There's no way in hell Claude's going to bench him for 10 of the last 20 games in the season, even if we're way ahead in the standings. And there's no way Chara would let Claude do that, either. You can't just stop him completely near the end of a season and expect him to start up again during playoffs.

How many games do you let a 6'9" Norris finalist play? As many games as he damn well pleases!

That said, I'm on board with 22 min/game caps near the end of the season, contingent on the fact that no disasters happen. Resting him too much could be asking for problems, but giving him a little less load, and letting the younger D-men pick up the slack, could be a good strategy not only in the short term, but also in the long term. There'll be a time when Chara's no longer in the first pairing. And while his leadership and on-ice teaching will be a key to the Bruins' success over the next few years, Chara will have to adjust to his smaller role, too, and figure out how to play for 20 minutes instead of 25.

That said, looking back at his stats this season, his last monster game (in regulation) over 24 minutes was on St. Patrick's day. They kept him around 22 minutes in April except for one overtime game - and in OT, I'm fine with 2:30 or 3:00 extra minutes from Chara.

talkinaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
That's only because he played forward on the power play.
He scored more than any boston forward on the PP too. . .

Old
06-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
As he ages his minutes should be cut back. Having said that though I think the loss of Seids is being overlooked by too many on this board. It had a huge impact.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
I would sacrifice some power play success if it meant getting him fewer minutes by keeping him off of it entirely.

I have never understood why Looch can't be told, "stand in front of the net and don't ****ing move." Why do we need to give Chara extra tough, getting cross-checked and slashed minutes when we have forwards who can take them instead.
i am sure Looch has been told. Problem with Looch is that he gets out of the way of the shot and lets the goalie see it.

Eriksson is much better than Lucic in front of the net.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote