Notices

Potential 2015-16 Bruins Lineup: Defenseman

Old
08-11-2015, 03:18 PM
jreiser18
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Potential 2015-16 Bruins Lineup: Defenseman

Part two of the series of articles predicting what the Bruins lineup could look like next season. Again, please comment with what you think the defense pairs should be!

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/08/po...up-defensemen/

jreiser18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Always good to read on the Bruins. Nice job. Keep it up.

A couple of notes.
I have never heard anyone refer to defensive pairings as "lines" as you do. Is there a reason for this?

Also, it would be nice if you included the age (Trotman) and shot (L or R) these guys are. I don't have it memorized - although it has appeared on many posts on these boards - and to save me looking it up - it would be nice to always include this info on the forward lines and defensive pairs as Clode generally prefers to use guys on their natural sides whenever possible.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 03:52 PM
BB88

We have heard from Sweeney many times that we need our D players to skate more and provide offense, Krug would be the only one who could provide that.
That's the slowest D group in the league, it would have to be while also being average at best offensively and defensively.
We wouldn't be a playoff team and we wouldn't be re-tooling so my question for Sweeney would be whats the point of that D group.

I know there's a high chance we see something like that but I don't know how we wouldn't be picking in the top10 with that.
(These comments are for the group we have up, not for you, I just hate the D group we have up now, pretty much everything about it )

For me it's
Chara-Trotman/Colin
Seidenberg-Colin/Trotman
Krug-McQuaid
K.Miller

The D has to have somekind of purpose/meaning.

Last edited by BB88: 08-11-2015 at 04:26 PM.
BB88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 03:56 PM

vCash: 350
I look at that defense and there are a lot of question marks in my mind.

1st pairing - Chara, Trotman. 39-years old Chara is coming off a major ligament injury that may not have healed completely. Trotman who?

2nd pairing - Krug, McQuaid. Krug is OK on the 2nd pairing. McQuaid's injury history is concerning but this pairing looks good to me.

3rd paring - Seidenberg, Irwin. Seidenberg is well underway on his decline. Irwin is a decent 3rd pairing guy.

Overall, defense strikes me as being mediocre at best. Rask needs to stand on his head next season even more so than last year.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 04:14 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
I look at that defense and there are a lot of question marks in my mind.

1st pairing - Chara, Trotman. 39-years old Chara is coming off a major ligament injury that may not have healed completely. Trotman who?

2nd pairing - Krug, McQuaid. Krug is OK on the 2nd pairing. McQuaid's injury history is concerning but this pairing looks good to me.

3rd paring - Seidenberg, Irwin. Seidenberg is well underway on his decline. Irwin is a decent 3rd pairing guy.

Overall, defense strikes me as being mediocre at best. Rask needs to stand on his head next season even more so than last year.
And they'd damn well better get Rask a decent, NHL back up. Depending on a totally unproven AHL guy again is asking for trouble.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 04:21 PM
moltisanti

At the moment, it's looking something like this in my eyes -
Chara--Trotman
Seidenberg--Irwin/CMiller
Krug--McQuaid
KMiller

moltisanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 04:52 PM
mislysBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltisanti View Post
At the moment, it's looking something like this in my eyes -
Chara--Trotman
Seidenberg--Irwin/CMiller
Krug--McQuaid
KMiller
yeesh. And without a stable backup? Double yeesh.

mislysBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 05:30 PM
agreen36
Boo

That's one ugly broad. Woof. When Zach ****ing Trotman is on your first pairing and is there because that's your best option you know it's going to be rough.

It should be really fun to watch Smith play behind that for roughly 5 games and watch Tuukka throw milk crates postgame for the other 77.

Could it turn out to be okay? Sure. But if Sweeney actually intends to ice a team that's going to finish top 20 yet alone contend for the playoffs he should really do something about that disaster.

agreen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Fire Sweeney

Chara-Trotman
Seidenbeg-Krug
McQuaid-Irwin
Miller

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 05:51 PM
jreiser18
HFB Partner

Potential Moves

What would everyone think if Sweeney picked up Franson?

jreiser18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiser18 View Post

Depends on term. Three years or less at 4 each, im ok.

Otherwise Id pass

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 06:03 PM
BB88

Quote:
It's all about the contract, on a 1-2y deal I would guess almost everyone would take him glady and if he gets a longer contract it would have to be a contract that can be traded in 2years time if needed.

Old
08-11-2015, 06:23 PM
moltisanti

Quote:
I think about it a lot. And every time I do, I seem to have a different opinion on the matter. It seriously depends on the term.

Old
08-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Zac Rinaldo

Quote:
i would think he had made a signing that didn't improve this team nearly enough to take them to another level and only served to take valuable minutes away from younger players that would ultimately be immensely beneficial to them in the long term.

Zac Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 06:29 PM
moltisanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mislysBB View Post
yeesh. And without a stable backup? Double yeesh.
Let's not forget the offense. That has serious potential of being a travesty.

Old
08-11-2015, 06:39 PM
BB88

Quote:
I think about it a lot. And every time I do, I seem to have a different opinion on the matter. It seriously depends on the term.
Pretty much how I feel, pre season can't start soon enough

Quote:
Let's not forget the offense. That has serious potential of being a travesty.
And also better, depending again on the D, it has to be fixed. Potentially 3 scoring lines instead of 1-2 what we had last year and a lot of potential.

Old
08-11-2015, 06:54 PM
BamBamCam

What a Fing joke.
Poster on here make mad/laugh
People want to play the kids then when put them in
the line-up they say oohh the Bruins can't do that it's horrible.
I believe without any more moves the defense will be:
Chara-McQuaid
Krug-Seidenberg
Irwin/Morrow-K.Miller,C.Miller/Trotman

BamBamCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 07:13 PM
BruinDust

Sadly I believe the 7 D-men will be the 7 who are on one-way contracts.

Chara - McQuaid
Krug - Seidenberg
Irwin - Trotman
K.Miller

Don't understand the McQuaid signing. Even less understand the Irwin signing. If I had my way I wouldn't of signed either of these bottom-pairing guys and spent the money on Franson.

Chara - Franson
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - C.Miller
K.Miller - Trotman

I'd also carry 8 D but that's just me. No way the Bruins do this. Those aren't the pairings I go with either, hard to put together the 2nd and 3rd pairs.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 08:44 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Likewise!

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 09:09 PM
mislysBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
What a Fing joke.
Chara-McQuaid
Krug-Seidenberg
No one here, is against playing the kids.

Problem is, the kids we have are bottom 4 defensemen, that do NOT belong in our top 4.

We don't know C. Millers abilities. Irwin is a typical 3rd or 4th pairing guy. Same with K. Miller. Only guy that we have, who can make the big jump into the top four is Krug.

mislysBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2015, 09:10 PM
BornBruliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
Sadly I believe the 7 D-men will be the 7 who are on one-way contracts.

Chara - McQuaid
Krug - Seidenberg
Irwin - Trotman
K.Miller

Don't understand the McQuaid signing. Even less understand the Irwin signing. If I had my way I wouldn't of signed either of these bottom-pairing guys and spent the money on Franson.

Chara - Franson
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - C.Miller
K.Miller - Trotman

I'd also carry 8 D but that's just me. No way the Bruins do this. Those aren't the pairings I go with either, hard to put together the 2nd and 3rd pairs.

Agree with bold although the pairings would be different. I want NO part of Franson at any price/term. He changes us from a bubble team to a bubble team with less cap space in 16-17 (he doesn't want 1 yr deal). Would rather stand pat and work in C. Miller and Morrow when the injuries hit.

BornBruliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 04:17 AM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
What a Fing joke.
Chara-McQuaid
Krug-Seidenberg
You consider Chara-Seids-McQuaid-K.Miller-Irwin kids?
I can't understand the Irwin signing, we got 3rd pairing depth? great like we need it more and we have 7 one way deals and we are blocking kids even though we keep hearing how we need to play kids more and how they need to step up

Old
08-12-2015, 07:24 AM
ODAAT

I`m of the mindset to play the kids.

Perfect world scenario is you could isolate their minutes but that will be tough to do without the veteran depth that this team has had in years past

Listened/read over the years many fans here scream to give the kids the chance and while I`ve never been opposed to it, that chance should not always be a gift wrapped 17 mins of TOI as many kids struggle to the point where it can really hurt the team.

I`ve watched how Spooner has been handled, again, many here irate as we watched Claude march Soupy out there constantly and there`s Spooner working hard on improving aspects of his game that the coaches asked him to during his demotion back to the PB`s but I understand it, there aren`t many coaches around that would just push a prospect through when they have a vet as an option, regardless if that vet is struggling (I say this with the opinion that Soupy should have long been scratched before he was)

All told, can`t have it both ways, can`t scream to give player A, B or C a chance then when they do a) whine about the ice time or b) whine about the often difficult times teams have dealing with the growing pains of these kids

I`m predicting this year to be a real rough one, tons of ups and downs as a huge changeover of personnel has taken place, how quickly the newbies assimilate themselves and the chemistry they hopefully build with one another will go a long way. I can see stretches where fans here start screaming for the heads of CJ/Sweeney/Cam (probably week 1) and then a leveling out as those new players fall into a routine and comfort with their teammates and the system

My hope/expectation is that this team can squeeze a playoff spot out this year, going to be tough but wouldn`t shock me to see this team place 7th/8th and be a real pain in the arse to it`s opponents.

I like the elements added up front, some extra grit, speed and hopefully hunger to put forth maximum effort which was something I questioned often over the last few years. I can see this years team being similar to the one I appreciated in 07/08 who had some talent, but on more nights than less, outworked it`s opponent, it didn`t always translate into a W but I rarely questioned the effort level of that group

For some here that won`t be acceptable, for this fan, with all the change over and what looks to be a distinct change in the style of player this organization now wants, it will take time and I`ll learn to accept a hard working, young team who makes mistakes over one who has depth and too often came out flatter than a pancake

Go get em boys

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 07:30 AM
tburns21
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
We have heard from Sweeney many times that we need our D players to skate more and provide offense, Krug would be the only one who could provide that.
That's the slowest D group in the league, it would have to be while also being average at best offensively and defensively.
We wouldn't be a playoff team and we wouldn't be re-tooling so my question for Sweeney would be whats the point of that D group.

I know there's a high chance we see something like that but I don't know how we wouldn't be picking in the top10 with that.
(These comments are for the group we have up, not for you, I just hate the D group we have up now, pretty much everything about it )

For me it's
Chara-Trotman/Colin
Seidenberg-Colin/Trotman
Krug-McQuaid
K.Miller

The D has to have somekind of purpose/meaning.
With too many 1 way contracts on the roster I don't see C miller getting into the lineup unless there's injuries. they'll likely let him get lots of reps in Prov to adapt to the Bruins systems this season and then pen him into the top 4 next season.

tburns21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2015, 07:34 AM
tburns21
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I`m of the mindset to play the kids.

Perfect world scenario is you could isolate their minutes but that will be tough to do without the veteran depth that this team has had in years past

Listened/read over the years many fans here scream to give the kids the chance and while I`ve never been opposed to it, that chance should not always be a gift wrapped 17 mins of TOI as many kids struggle to the point where it can really hurt the team.

I`ve watched how Spooner has been handled, again, many here irate as we watched Claude march Soupy out there constantly and there`s Spooner working hard on improving aspects of his game that the coaches asked him to during his demotion back to the PB`s but I understand it, there aren`t many coaches around that would just push a prospect through when they have a vet as an option, regardless if that vet is struggling (I say this with the opinion that Soupy should have long been scratched before he was)

All told, can`t have it both ways, can`t scream to give player A, B or C a chance then when they do a) whine about the ice time or b) whine about the often difficult times teams have dealing with the growing pains of these kids

I`m predicting this year to be a real rough one, tons of ups and downs as a huge changeover of personnel has taken place, how quickly the newbies assimilate themselves and the chemistry they hopefully build with one another will go a long way. I can see stretches where fans here start screaming for the heads of CJ/Sweeney/Cam (probably week 1) and then a leveling out as those new players fall into a routine and comfort with their teammates and the system

My hope/expectation is that this team can squeeze a playoff spot out this year, going to be tough but wouldn`t shock me to see this team place 7th/8th and be a real pain in the arse to it`s opponents.

I like the elements added up front, some extra grit, speed and hopefully hunger to put forth maximum effort which was something I questioned often over the last few years. I can see this years team being similar to the one I appreciated in 07/08 who had some talent, but on more nights than less, outworked it`s opponent, it didn`t always translate into a W but I rarely questioned the effort level of that group

For some here that won`t be acceptable, for this fan, with all the change over and what looks to be a distinct change in the style of player this organization now wants, it will take time and I`ll learn to accept a hard working, young team who makes mistakes over one who has depth and too often came out flatter than a pancake

Go get em boys
the problem with playing the kids is that two of them (morrow/CMiller) are on two ways deals and all the other guys are on 1 way deals. comes back to the irwin signing being a head scratcher for sure. K Miller could have replaced Mcquaid on the 3rd pairing so that move was a mind boggler too. we have the same issues with the 4th line... too many older bodies with kids at the doorstep. send Irwin/K Miller and Talbot somewhere for a handfull of 2nd/3rd rnd picks and free up some roster spots.

tburns21 is offline   Reply With Quote