HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You know, I'm still bothered by the Muller trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2010, 09:36 AM
  #1
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
You know, I'm still bothered by the Muller trade

I'm a bit biased though since he was my favorite player not named Roy at the time. But how do you name a guy the captain, then trade him that season? But during that time Montreal was trading captain's left and right. Also, Schneider was no slouch either. They traded away 2 good character players for a talented airhead (Malakhov) and mr. softie (Turgeon). The next few years after the cup was just so depressing when you look at the trades that were made.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:41 AM
  #2
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,788
vCash: 500
I thought it was a great trade at the time. Still do.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:42 AM
  #3
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Why do you bring this up now exactly?

Rejean Houle made the biggest mistakes in our history, hate him

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 09:47 AM
  #4
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Why do you bring this up now exactly?

Rejean Houle made the biggest mistakes in our history, hate him
I have no idea...was just thinking back to tough players we had...Corson, LeClair, etc....then got to Muller and started reminiscing.

It's not that the trade was bad....I just hated how they named him captain, then shipped him off like a piece of garbage. Then the main piece that they traded him for got shipped off with the quickness.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 10:18 AM
  #5
Next Best Thing*
 
Next Best Thing*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 6,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I have no idea...was just thinking back to tough players we had...Corson, LeClair, etc....then got to Muller and started reminiscing.

It's not that the trade was bad....I just hated how they named him captain, then shipped him off like a piece of garbage. Then the main piece that they traded him for got shipped off with the quickness.
I thought it was common knowledge throughout the early 2000's that any eventual MTL captain would get traded just seems like moot to me but hey, I agree, our managment during that period set us back at least 10 years in competitiveness.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:18 PM
  #6
ikelechien
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Braeshore
Country: Canada
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I'm a bit biased though since he was my favorite player not named Roy at the time. But how do you name a guy the captain, then trade him that season? But during that time Montreal was trading captain's left and right. Also, Schneider was no slouch either. They traded away 2 good character players for a talented airhead (Malakhov) and mr. softie (Turgeon). The next few years after the cup was just so depressing when you look at the trades that were made.
It is probably time to get over it but you are right that the Muller trade and some of the other trades done in 95 were so bad they set us back a decade. And speaking of decades, here is the 90's

1990 - Looks like Darryl Sutter was GM that year, oops!!!
07-Aug-90 - Bobby Smith to Minnesota for a 4th round pick
04-Sep-90 - Claude Lemieux to New Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon
04-Sep-90 - Craig Ludwig to the Islanders for Gerald Diduck
07-Nov-90 - Brian Hayward to Minnesota for Jayson More
1991 - Not much happening
17-Sep-91 - Andrew Cassels to Hartford for a 2nd rounder (Valeri Bure)
20-Sep-91 - Tom Chorske and Stephane Richer to New Jersey for Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson
1992 - Trades building up to the Cup in 93
10-Mar-92 - Petr Svoboda to Buffalo for Kevin Haller
19-Jun-92 - JC Bergeron to Tampa Bay for Fredderic Chabot
14-Aug-92 - Mike McPhee to Minnesota for a 5th round pick
20-Aug-92 - Sylvain Lefebvre and future considerations to Toronto for a 3rd ronder
27-Aug-92 - Shayne Corson, Brent Gilchrist and Vladimir Vujtek to Edmonton for Vince Damphousse and 4th round pick
31-Aug-92 - Russ Courtnall to Minnesota for Brian Bellows
5-Oct-92 - Patrick Lebeau to Calgary for future considerations
1993 - Stanley Cup Winning Year
28-Jan-93 - Brian Skrudland to Calgary for Gary Leeman
20-Mar-93 - Eric Charron, Alain Cote and futures (Donald Dufresne on 18-Jun-93) to Tampa Bay for Rob Ramage
10-Aug-93 - Todd Ewen and Patrick Carnback to Anaheim for 3rd round pick
28-Nov-93 - Rob Ramage to Philadelphia for cash
1994 - Not too impressed with the August trade
20-Feb-94 - Patrick Lebeau to Anaheim for Ron Tugnutt
21-Feb-94 - Frederic Chabot to Philadelphia for cash
19-Aug-94 - Guy Carbonneau to St. Louis for Jim Montgomery
1995 - Trades so bad even Darryl Sutter wouldn’t make them
9-Feb-95 - John Leclair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne to Philadelphia
for Mark Recchi and a 3rd round pick (Martin Hohenberger)
10-Feb-95 - Cash to Philadelphia for Mark Lamb
5-Apr-95 - Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider and Craig Darby to the Islanders for Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov
29-Jun-95 - Brian Bellows to Tampa Bay for Marc Bureau
8-Jul-95 - 2nd round pick (Jason Doig) to Winnipeg for Stephane Quintal
7-Nov-95 - J.J. Daigneault to St. Louis for Pat Jablonski
26-Nov-95 - Craig Ferguson and Yves Sarault to Calgary for a conditional pick in 1997
6-Dec-95 - Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to Colarado for Andrei Kovalenko, Jocelyn Thibault and Martin Rucinsky
1996 - Better but not enough to recover from the damage done in 95
21-Jan-96 - Jim Campbell to Anaheim for Robert Dirk
15-Mar-96 - Martin Brochu to Washinton for future considerations
22-Aug-96 - Lyle Odelein to New Jersey for Stephane Richer
06-Sep-96 - Andrei Kovalenko to Edmonton for Scott Thornton
24-Oct-96 - Scott Fraser to Calgary for David Ling and a 6th round pick (Gordie Dwyer)
29-Oct-96 - Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick to St. Louis for Shayne Corson, Murray Baron and a 5th round pick (Genady Razin)
13-Nov-96 - Donald Brashear to Vancouver for Jassen Cullimore
1997 - Not much happening
18-Mar-97 - Pat Jablonski to Phoenix for Steve Cheredaryk
18-Mar-97 - Murray Baron and Chris Murray to Phoenix for Dave Manson
1998 - Not much help here
15-Jan-98 - Darcy Tucker, Stephane Richer and David Wilkie to Tampa Bay
for Patrick Poulin, Mick Vukota and Igor Ulanov.
01-Feb-98 - Valeri Bure and a 4th round pick (Shawn Sutter) to Calgary for Zarley Zalapski and Jonas Hoglund
14-Mar-98 - David Ling to Chicago for Martin Gendron
16-Nov-98 - Dave Manson, Jocelyn Thibault and Brad Brown to Chicago for Jeff Hackett, Eric Weinrich, Alain Nasreddine and a 3rd round pick or Tampa's 4th round pick in 1999 (previously acquired)
1999 - And it didn’t get any better
10-Mar-99 - Montreal traded Mark Recchi to Philadelphia for Dainius Zubrus and Flyers' 2nd round pick in 1999 (Matt Carkner), and a 4th round pick or a 6th round pick in 2000 (6th round, Scott Selig)
23-Mar-99 - Vincent Damphousse to the San Jose Sharks for 5th round selection (previously acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes - Marc-Andre Thinel) in 1999, 2nd round selection (later traded to Columbus - Kiel McLeod) in 2001 and a 1st round selection (Marcel Hossa) in 2000.
26-Nov-99 - Gordie Dwyer to Tampa Bay for Mike McBain.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:19 PM
  #7
Nova_Scotia_Vees
Registered User
 
Nova_Scotia_Vees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 543
vCash: 500
I liked Muller but at the time i thought it was a great trade. Turgeon was great and Malakov as well.

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:21 PM
  #8
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,383
vCash: 500
Dude. Atleast you guys WON a cup.



xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:42 PM
  #9
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
I hated it then, and still do... and to be honest I hated the LeClair trade at the time and the Savard deal.

Other ones that pissed me off where the Keane, Scott Thornton and how about the Donald Audette trade?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:44 PM
  #10
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,800
vCash: 500
By this point in his career, Muller had ceased being a decent No. 1 Center (which he really had been his first two years in Montreal, as well as most of his time in Jersey).

So the Habs badly needed a true No. 1 Center at the time, and Turgeon fit the bill pretty well (him being French-Canadian was a nice bonus too).

Now, I preferred Schneider to Malakhov, so I didn't like that part of the blockbuster trade, but it wasn't a major downgrade.

On the whole, I loved the Muller-Schneider/Turgeon-Malakhov deal, and I still do. That being said, I certainly get your complaint about how much the Habs kept trading their Captains back then. For this reason, Keane probably should have been kept longer, as his deal was where it really became obvious that the "C" was starting to mean "C ya later!" in Montreal.

Muller was an awesome player for us in 1991-92, and 1992-93. It's a shame that his offensive abilities eroded so quickly, but given that they did, Savard actually deserves big kudos for getting top value for Muller while he still had value.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:46 PM
  #11
Steveshutt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
I think it was Savard who traded Muller wasn't it? As I recall, the new-look Turgeon-centered Habs got off to an 0-5 start in 1995-96 and Savard and Demers were fired and replaced by Houle and Tremblay. They went on a bit of a tear after Turgeon scored an OT winner against the Leafs making Tremblay a hero to Habs fans leading up to the infamous game against Detroit. The Roy trade was Houle's first big one or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Steveshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:49 PM
  #12
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveshutt View Post
I think it was Savard who traded Muller wasn't it? As I recall, the new-look Turgeon-centered Habs got off to an 0-5 start in 1995-96 and Savard and Demers were fired and replaced by Houle and Tremblay. They went on a bit of a tear after Turgeon scored an OT winner against the Leafs making Tremblay a hero to Habs fans leading up to the infamous game against Detroit. The Roy trade was Houle's first big one or am I remembering it incorrectly?
You're remembering it correctly.

However, Turgeon came in near the trade deadline of 1995, and really helped the Habs put a final push on for a playoff spot. Unfortunately, it was too little too late, and we missed the playoffs that year because of it.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 12:59 PM
  #13
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Dude. Atleast you guys WON a cup.


We could have won another perhaps. This team could have been stacked but instead was mediocre for a decade because of boneheaded moves.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:31 PM
  #14
Born in 1909
Vive la France!
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
It is probably time to get over it but you are right that the Muller trade and some of the other trades done in 95 were so bad they set us back a decade. And speaking of decades, here is the 90's

1990 - Looks like Darryl Sutter was GM that year, oops!!!
07-Aug-90 - Bobby Smith to Minnesota for a 4th round pick
04-Sep-90 - Claude Lemieux to New Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon
04-Sep-90 - Craig Ludwig to the Islanders for Gerald Diduck
07-Nov-90 - Brian Hayward to Minnesota for Jayson More
1991 - Not much happening
17-Sep-91 - Andrew Cassels to Hartford for a 2nd rounder (Valeri Bure)
20-Sep-91 - Tom Chorske and Stephane Richer to New Jersey for Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson
1992 - Trades building up to the Cup in 93
10-Mar-92 - Petr Svoboda to Buffalo for Kevin Haller
19-Jun-92 - JC Bergeron to Tampa Bay for Fredderic Chabot
14-Aug-92 - Mike McPhee to Minnesota for a 5th round pick
20-Aug-92 - Sylvain Lefebvre and future considerations to Toronto for a 3rd ronder
27-Aug-92 - Shayne Corson, Brent Gilchrist and Vladimir Vujtek to Edmonton for Vince Damphousse and 4th round pick
31-Aug-92 - Russ Courtnall to Minnesota for Brian Bellows
5-Oct-92 - Patrick Lebeau to Calgary for future considerations
1993 - Stanley Cup Winning Year
28-Jan-93 - Brian Skrudland to Calgary for Gary Leeman
20-Mar-93 - Eric Charron, Alain Cote and futures (Donald Dufresne on 18-Jun-93) to Tampa Bay for Rob Ramage
10-Aug-93 - Todd Ewen and Patrick Carnback to Anaheim for 3rd round pick
28-Nov-93 - Rob Ramage to Philadelphia for cash
1994 - Not too impressed with the August trade
20-Feb-94 - Patrick Lebeau to Anaheim for Ron Tugnutt
21-Feb-94 - Frederic Chabot to Philadelphia for cash
19-Aug-94 - Guy Carbonneau to St. Louis for Jim Montgomery
1995 - Trades so bad even Darryl Sutter wouldn’t make them
9-Feb-95 - John Leclair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne to Philadelphia
for Mark Recchi and a 3rd round pick (Martin Hohenberger)
10-Feb-95 - Cash to Philadelphia for Mark Lamb
5-Apr-95 - Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider and Craig Darby to the Islanders for Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov
29-Jun-95 - Brian Bellows to Tampa Bay for Marc Bureau
8-Jul-95 - 2nd round pick (Jason Doig) to Winnipeg for Stephane Quintal
7-Nov-95 - J.J. Daigneault to St. Louis for Pat Jablonski
26-Nov-95 - Craig Ferguson and Yves Sarault to Calgary for a conditional pick in 1997
6-Dec-95 - Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to Colarado for Andrei Kovalenko, Jocelyn Thibault and Martin Rucinsky
1996 - Better but not enough to recover from the damage done in 95
21-Jan-96 - Jim Campbell to Anaheim for Robert Dirk
15-Mar-96 - Martin Brochu to Washinton for future considerations
22-Aug-96 - Lyle Odelein to New Jersey for Stephane Richer
06-Sep-96 - Andrei Kovalenko to Edmonton for Scott Thornton
24-Oct-96 - Scott Fraser to Calgary for David Ling and a 6th round pick (Gordie Dwyer)
29-Oct-96 - Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick to St. Louis for Shayne Corson, Murray Baron and a 5th round pick (Genady Razin)
13-Nov-96 - Donald Brashear to Vancouver for Jassen Cullimore
1997 - Not much happening
18-Mar-97 - Pat Jablonski to Phoenix for Steve Cheredaryk
18-Mar-97 - Murray Baron and Chris Murray to Phoenix for Dave Manson
1998 - Not much help here
15-Jan-98 - Darcy Tucker, Stephane Richer and David Wilkie to Tampa Bay
for Patrick Poulin, Mick Vukota and Igor Ulanov.
01-Feb-98 - Valeri Bure and a 4th round pick (Shawn Sutter) to Calgary for Zarley Zalapski and Jonas Hoglund
14-Mar-98 - David Ling to Chicago for Martin Gendron
16-Nov-98 - Dave Manson, Jocelyn Thibault and Brad Brown to Chicago for Jeff Hackett, Eric Weinrich, Alain Nasreddine and a 3rd round pick or Tampa's 4th round pick in 1999 (previously acquired)
1999 - And it didn’t get any better
10-Mar-99 - Montreal traded Mark Recchi to Philadelphia for Dainius Zubrus and Flyers' 2nd round pick in 1999 (Matt Carkner), and a 4th round pick or a 6th round pick in 2000 (6th round, Scott Selig)
23-Mar-99 - Vincent Damphousse to the San Jose Sharks for 5th round selection (previously acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes - Marc-Andre Thinel) in 1999, 2nd round selection (later traded to Columbus - Kiel McLeod) in 2001 and a 1st round selection (Marcel Hossa) in 2000.
26-Nov-99 - Gordie Dwyer to Tampa Bay for Mike McBain.
Incredible Post

Many fans are too young to remember that era... but it cannot be stated enough how much Houle, Tremblay, and Corey ****ed up the Habs for a decade + (combined with horrid 1st round drafting)

Stupid stupid stupid men

It wasn't until the Gainey era that things began to look up.

It didn't have to be that way


Last edited by Born in 1909: 11-27-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:33 PM
  #15
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
It is probably time to get over it but you are right that the Muller trade and some of the other trades done in 95 were so bad they set us back a decade. And speaking of decades, here is the 90's

1990 - Looks like Darryl Sutter was GM that year, oops!!!
07-Aug-90 - Bobby Smith to Minnesota for a 4th round pick
04-Sep-90 - Claude Lemieux to New Jersey for Sylvain Turgeon
04-Sep-90 - Craig Ludwig to the Islanders for Gerald Diduck
07-Nov-90 - Brian Hayward to Minnesota for Jayson More
1991 - Not much happening
17-Sep-91 - Andrew Cassels to Hartford for a 2nd rounder (Valeri Bure)
20-Sep-91 - Tom Chorske and Stephane Richer to New Jersey for Kirk Muller and Roland Melanson
1992 - Trades building up to the Cup in 93
10-Mar-92 - Petr Svoboda to Buffalo for Kevin Haller
19-Jun-92 - JC Bergeron to Tampa Bay for Fredderic Chabot
14-Aug-92 - Mike McPhee to Minnesota for a 5th round pick
20-Aug-92 - Sylvain Lefebvre and future considerations to Toronto for a 3rd ronder
27-Aug-92 - Shayne Corson, Brent Gilchrist and Vladimir Vujtek to Edmonton for Vince Damphousse and 4th round pick
31-Aug-92 - Russ Courtnall to Minnesota for Brian Bellows
5-Oct-92 - Patrick Lebeau to Calgary for future considerations
1993 - Stanley Cup Winning Year
28-Jan-93 - Brian Skrudland to Calgary for Gary Leeman
20-Mar-93 - Eric Charron, Alain Cote and futures (Donald Dufresne on 18-Jun-93) to Tampa Bay for Rob Ramage
10-Aug-93 - Todd Ewen and Patrick Carnback to Anaheim for 3rd round pick
28-Nov-93 - Rob Ramage to Philadelphia for cash
1994 - Not too impressed with the August trade
20-Feb-94 - Patrick Lebeau to Anaheim for Ron Tugnutt
21-Feb-94 - Frederic Chabot to Philadelphia for cash
19-Aug-94 - Guy Carbonneau to St. Louis for Jim Montgomery
1995 - Trades so bad even Darryl Sutter wouldn’t make them
9-Feb-95 - John Leclair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne to Philadelphia
for Mark Recchi and a 3rd round pick (Martin Hohenberger)
10-Feb-95 - Cash to Philadelphia for Mark Lamb
5-Apr-95 - Kirk Muller, Mathieu Schneider and Craig Darby to the Islanders for Pierre Turgeon and Vladimir Malakhov
29-Jun-95 - Brian Bellows to Tampa Bay for Marc Bureau
8-Jul-95 - 2nd round pick (Jason Doig) to Winnipeg for Stephane Quintal
7-Nov-95 - J.J. Daigneault to St. Louis for Pat Jablonski
26-Nov-95 - Craig Ferguson and Yves Sarault to Calgary for a conditional pick in 1997
6-Dec-95 - Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to Colarado for Andrei Kovalenko, Jocelyn Thibault and Martin Rucinsky
1996 - Better but not enough to recover from the damage done in 95
21-Jan-96 - Jim Campbell to Anaheim for Robert Dirk
15-Mar-96 - Martin Brochu to Washinton for future considerations
22-Aug-96 - Lyle Odelein to New Jersey for Stephane Richer
06-Sep-96 - Andrei Kovalenko to Edmonton for Scott Thornton
24-Oct-96 - Scott Fraser to Calgary for David Ling and a 6th round pick (Gordie Dwyer)
29-Oct-96 - Pierre Turgeon, Craig Conroy and Rory Fitzpatrick to St. Louis for Shayne Corson, Murray Baron and a 5th round pick (Genady Razin)
13-Nov-96 - Donald Brashear to Vancouver for Jassen Cullimore
1997 - Not much happening
18-Mar-97 - Pat Jablonski to Phoenix for Steve Cheredaryk
18-Mar-97 - Murray Baron and Chris Murray to Phoenix for Dave Manson
1998 - Not much help here
15-Jan-98 - Darcy Tucker, Stephane Richer and David Wilkie to Tampa Bay
for Patrick Poulin, Mick Vukota and Igor Ulanov.
01-Feb-98 - Valeri Bure and a 4th round pick (Shawn Sutter) to Calgary for Zarley Zalapski and Jonas Hoglund
14-Mar-98 - David Ling to Chicago for Martin Gendron
16-Nov-98 - Dave Manson, Jocelyn Thibault and Brad Brown to Chicago for Jeff Hackett, Eric Weinrich, Alain Nasreddine and a 3rd round pick or Tampa's 4th round pick in 1999 (previously acquired)
1999 - And it didn’t get any better
10-Mar-99 - Montreal traded Mark Recchi to Philadelphia for Dainius Zubrus and Flyers' 2nd round pick in 1999 (Matt Carkner), and a 4th round pick or a 6th round pick in 2000 (6th round, Scott Selig)
23-Mar-99 - Vincent Damphousse to the San Jose Sharks for 5th round selection (previously acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes - Marc-Andre Thinel) in 1999, 2nd round selection (later traded to Columbus - Kiel McLeod) in 2001 and a 1st round selection (Marcel Hossa) in 2000.
26-Nov-99 - Gordie Dwyer to Tampa Bay for Mike McBain.
I need a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Incredible Post

Many fans are too young to remember that era... but it cannot be stated enough how much Houle, Trembley, and Corey ****ed up the Habs for a decade + (combined with horrid 1st round drafting)

Stupid stupid stupid men

It wasn't until the Gainey era that things began to look up.

It didn't have to be that way
They are oh so lucky to not have to live through that.

And honestly, call me a loser or whatever, but Tremblay, Houle, Corey....I will never be able to forgive them for ruining the franchise. While Tremblay was there, so many players got shipped out for dumb reasons. Guy got shipped off for flipping the bird...Brashear got shipped out for getting into an argument with the coach and we all know the Roy issue.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:41 PM
  #16
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I hated it then, and still do... and to be honest I hated the LeClair trade at the time and the Savard deal.

Other ones that pissed me off where the Keane, Scott Thornton and how about the Donald Audette trade?
Donald Audette was the worst. He almost had his arm cut off by a skate though, ouch. He was hated more than MAB.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
  #17
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We could have won another perhaps. This team could have been stacked but instead was mediocre for a decade because of boneheaded moves.

Well, the Kings completely fell apart after that 93' season as well. It didn't help that our owner's checks were bouncing and people started to get wind of the multitude of fraud charges he was receiving.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
  #18
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
pfff. this is IMO one of the best trades Serge Savard has ever done. Muller was on the decline and Pierre Turgeon was a superstar, one of the best offensive players in the league. Mathieu Schneider was just not working in Montreal while Malakhov was a great young d-man with huge upside. Malakhov didn't turn as good as it was supposed to, but I really think that if Savard would have been in charge for a few more years, we would have had another cup. It's not his fault if Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay destroyed the team.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:21 PM
  #19
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
They are oh so lucky to not have to live through that.

And honestly, call me a loser or whatever, but Tremblay, Houle, Corey....I will never be able to forgive them for ruining the franchise. While Tremblay was there, so many players got shipped out for dumb reasons. Guy got shipped off for flipping the bird...Brashear got shipped out for getting into an argument with the coach and we all know the Roy issue.
100% agree...bunch of ****ing retards. and now 'pinotte' remains an ambassador, tremblay opens his yap on RDS and corey....well who cares?
for all who hate gainey, there is no way he would've traded roy...he would've waited till it cooled off..and done the right thing which would've been to fire tremblay lol
ah hypothesizing

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
  #20
Nedved
Registered User
 
Nedved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,386
vCash: 500
Turgeon was over a point per game for us. He also kept putting up the numbers for a couple years after he left, and wasn't conroy part of the deal too? for corson? now that was a bad trade.

Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay, were the darkest days in habs history.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:55 PM
  #21
TankEller*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,795
vCash: 500
The mess started even before Houle was nammed GM. Savard's last moves were quite pathetic.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:02 PM
  #22
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
pfff. this is IMO one of the best trades Serge Savard has ever done. Muller was on the decline and Pierre Turgeon was a superstar, one of the best offensive players in the league. Mathieu Schneider was just not working in Montreal while Malakhov was a great young d-man with huge upside. Malakhov didn't turn as good as it was supposed to, but I really think that if Savard would have been in charge for a few more years, we would have had another cup. It's not his fault if Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay destroyed the team.
Amen ! Turgeon was an amazing player .

About Schneider , he was traded because he was " too close " to Patrick Roy's wife .

To me , Corey is the bad guy because he wanted the control of the team and put two rookies to run the show .


Last edited by goalchenyuk: 11-27-2010 at 05:51 PM.
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:17 PM
  #23
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,477
vCash: 500
Muller was my favourite forward at the time. Roy won the conn smythe in 93 but Muller would have been my second choice.

I think he habs did okay with this trade, though. Muller was on the decline and I dont think he ever came close to matching his production from new jersey or montreal for the rest of his career. It wasn't that long after that his role started changing into more of a checking one.

As for Schneider, word was that he had to be moved, and malakhov actually wasn't a bad replacement. It would have been an outright win for montreal if malakhov wanted it to be.

Yeah, I was sad when muller got traded, but the habs really timed it well. If they hung to kirk for another season, his value would have plummeted.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 03:27 PM
  #24
A1
Everything is awful
 
A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
20-Feb-94 - Patrick Lebeau to Anaheim for Ron Tugnutt


That was Stephan Lebeau, I remember seeing this in the gazette the next morning and being so pissed, not because I loved the player, but because I always beasted with him so hard in NHL on Sega Genesis lol.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
  #25
Swe_hab
Registered User
 
Swe_hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kent, USA and Skelleftea, Sweden
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
That was Stephan Lebeau, I remember seeing this in the gazette the next morning and being so pissed, not because I loved the player, but because I always beasted with him so hard in NHL on Sega Genesis lol.
I was wondering how Patrick could be traded twice without us re-acquiring him somehow. Previous to that it says:
5-Oct-92 - Patrick Lebeau to Calgary for future considerations

There are just a crazy amounts of trades in 1995, didn't realize they all happened in one year, felt like my entire childhood. Anyways the phonebills must've been huge sending all those faxes.

Swe_hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.