HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Penalty Kill...

Old
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Our Penalty Kill...

During this hot-streak, we have never failed to point out the heroic performances of many of our star players such as Crosby, Fleury, Letang, etc. Needless to say, aside from Makin, our big money players have indeed been playing like big money players. At the same time though, I think a major aspect of this team's success that has continuously gone unnoticed, or at least doesn't get its fair share of credit, is our PENALTY KILL.

The Pens are currently 1st in the NHL on the PK, batting at around 90% on the kill. What's more remarkable is that our PK is hovering above a whopping 94% on the road! This isn't due to some kind of fluke either, as one simply has to watch our PK in action to see that it truly is a well oiled machine. In fact, I often find myself looking forward to seeing our PK in action these days, as they often even tend to generate more quality scoring chances than even our PP does!

Guys like Dupuis, Adams, and Talbot are often called out on this team, with their respective roles often being questioned. No one can deny though that our grinders/role players are a major reason as to why we have been so effective in killing off penalties, especially in the absence of one of the league's best penalty killers in Jordan Staal. And speaking of Staalzy, our PK is as awesome as it is without him in the lineup, so just imagine how much BETTER it's only gonna get when he comes back!

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 367
Watch when Staal returns and the PK gets worse.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
LetangInTheSO

The good news is that Staal won't necessarily be rushed into PK duties when he returns. Frankly, with the PK playing so well, I'd keep Staalzy off it altogether until it slips (might as well try to maximize his minutes using him at even-strength and on the PP), but I doubt that will happen.

Anyhow, the PK has been absolutely outstanding. I'm not enough of a tactician to say how they've been so effective, but kudos is all I can say. If only our PP had 10% of the magic that our PK does...

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:19 AM
Tweed

We'd be stupid to put Staal on the PK... until the PK starts to fail. Why screw with it? I can't think of one good reason to do that.

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
We'd be stupid to put Staal on the PK... until the PK starts to fail. Why screw with it? I can't think of one good reason to do that.
Because it is one of the things Staal is epic at? It isn't as if we should assume that this PK'ing streak will go on indefinitely or that Staal will somehow make the PK worse than it otherwise would be. Rather he'd further add to its quality.

I mean, sure, if his hand is still dodgy, ease him in. But if he is ready to play he will be killing penalties also. Bet on it.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:13 AM
TopShelfGoal

Quote:
Have you seen any of the coaching this season?? You know Staal will be back on the PK just because it is hot. For some reason our coaching staff likes to throw their own wrenches into the mix and mess things all up. It seems like they don't lets things fail on their own, they make them fail. Not that it's going to be worse when Staal returns, but if ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm ok with Staal getting PP time and letting our PK alone.

With all that said, Staal is a great penalty killer and I can't wait for him to come back. Yeah, I want him on the PK because it's more players that can rotate thru. With Adams, Cooke, Talbot, Dupuis, and then add Staal our PK would continue to stay atop in the league for a while.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:27 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridoli View Post
Have you seen any of the coaching this season?? You know Staal will be back on the PK just because it is hot. For some reason our coaching staff likes to throw their own wrenches into the mix and mess things all up. It seems like they don't lets things fail on their own, they make them fail. Not that it's going to be worse when Staal returns, but if ain't broke, don't fix it.
Are you seriously complaining about the coaching as if coaching has nothing to do with how well our PK is doing? So anything that goes right with the Penguins: It's the players. Anything that goes wrong: It's the coaching. Am I doing it right?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:06 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I think Cooke's been our best PKer so far this year. It's nice to have a solid penalty killer that can threaten offensively, it really makes the defense conscious of holding their line. We haven't had that since Staal was a rookie.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Watch when Staal returns and the PK gets worse.
Well it wont get worse but I could see it dropping back down to the high 80s, I mean it will still be top 5 in the league but it's on a ridiculous hot streak right now. We've been good at avoiding getting into 5 on 3 situation's recently and I really think that's helped keep the streak going.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Are you seriously complaining about the coaching as if coaching has nothing to do with how well our PK is doing? So anything that goes right with the Penguins: It's the players. Anything that goes wrong: It's the coaching. Am I doing it right?
Welcome to Pittsburgh sports fans.

(keep in mind however that Lebeau is the exception that proves the rule)

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:30 AM
regard

I think the PK doing well without Staals help is just a prime setup for him to come back to the team and be given a different role to be comfortable in.
I want to see him in front of the net on the PP and playing lots of even strength minutes with Malkin. This time off might even prove to be a good thing in the long run.
Coming back like he will be he wont HAVE to fall right back into his normal role, gives them a chance to change things up. Itll be a transition anyway.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Our PK is pretty righteous right now. I was thinking the same thing about generating as many quality chances as our PP (surreal). It's also a sure bet that within 2 or 3 games of returning, Staal will find his way back onto the PK regardless. That's Bylslogic, for better or worse. It might stutter for a couple games as the PK chemistry is re-adjusted, but eventually it should be every bit as good as it is now.

Personally if I were the coach, I'd take the "if it ain't broke" approach for sure. Would ease Staal's ice time early on as well, which is good / smart.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:03 AM
JTG

Quote:
I agree. The 8 PK'ers we have are experiencing some unreal chemistry. If you tinker with it, the only place it can go is down.

Once it starts to falter, put Staal out there, but until then, let him make his minutes up elsewhere.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I agree. The 8 PK'ers we have are experiencing some unreal chemistry. If you tinker with it, the only place it can go is down.

Once it starts to falter, put Staal out there, but until then, let him make his minutes up elsewhere.
I'd like to see Staal kept off the PK, but not because of some insane reasoning that somehow putting one of the league's best penalty killers back in the PK rotation is somehow gonna hurt it. Chemistry is chemistry but you act like Staal hadn't already established chemistry with a lot of the guys in the current lineup. The PK has been unreal, Cooke has been amazing, Talbot, Dupuis, everyone has been good, but once Staal gets back to full speed, i'd take him being out there over any single one of them in a heartbeat.

If he is to be kept off the PK, especially when he first comes back, i want it to be because he's getting a mountain of time on the first PP unit. Between his promotion to the top 6 and regular PP time, he'll have quite enough minutes to fill his docket, especially at first when he's not quite in mid-season form.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:32 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
I'd like to see Staal kept off the PK, but not because of some insane reasoning that somehow putting one of the league's best penalty killers back in the PK rotation is somehow gonna hurt it. Chemistry is chemistry but you act like Staal hadn't already established chemistry with a lot of the guys in the current lineup. The PK has been unreal, Cooke has been amazing, Talbot, Dupuis, everyone has been good, but once Staal gets back to full speed, i'd take him being out there over any single one of them in a heartbeat.

If he is to be kept off the PK, especially when he first comes back, i want it to be because he's getting a mountain of time on the first PP unit. Between his promotion to the top 6 and regular PP time, he'll have quite enough minutes to fill his docket, especially at first when he's not quite in mid-season form.
You don't mess with something that isn't broken. I don't care how good of a PK'er Staal is. Staal should have his PK time replaced with PP time, until the PK unit needs him. You aren't getting much better than 90% with Staal in the lineup.

Everything is coming together for Staal to be a 2nd line center. The PK is proving that they don't need him to be successful, there's still a hole in the middle of the PP waiting for him, and Geno could really use some skill on his line.

Old
11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
You don't mess with something that isn't broken. I don't care how good of a PK'er Staal is. Staal should have his PK time replaced with PP time, until the PK unit needs him. You aren't getting much better than 90% with Staal in the lineup.

Everything is coming together for Staal to be a 2nd line center. The PK is proving that they don't need him to be successful, there's still a hole in the middle of the PP waiting for him, and Geno could really use some skill on his line.
I have always felt like I'd like to see Staal get more PP time but then you'd have to give him less PK time. That seems to becoming less of a problem though.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
JTG

It is. That was always the worry. If you take Staal off the PK, it will all of a sudden become pedestrian. Now we have absolutely nothing to lose keeping him off the PK and putting him on the PP.

Old
11-30-2010, 11:51 AM
WickedWrister

What do you expect when you got a team full of grinders and a grinders mentality?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
WVP

Quote:

I'd like to us go in this direction when he first comes back. Have him and Kunitz compete for the spot in front of the net on the first PP. If Staal loses that competition, get him back on the PK.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I'd like to us go in this direction when he first comes back. Have him and Kunitz compete for the spot in front of the net on the first PP. If Staal loses that competition, get him back on the PK.
I agree, that's the best way to do it.

Old
11-30-2010, 12:18 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
It is. That was always the worry. If you take Staal off the PK, it will all of a sudden become pedestrian. Now we have absolutely nothing to lose keeping him off the PK and putting him on the PP.
Exactly. He should be infront of the net on the PP. Lets really see what he can do offensivley.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:

I wouldn't considering it messing with something that isn't broken to put our best PKer back into an already fantastic PK, any more than i would consider it a bad idea to put Sid back on the PP after an injury if our PP was statistically the best in the league.

But to be honest, while i've been very impressed with our forwards this year, i think the real strength of our PK has been how well our defenseman have played. Take someone out and put Staal in, and the straw that really stirs the drink remains unchanged.

I am in complete agreement with you that it would be best if Staal does well on the PP, the current PK continues to play well, and the problem just solves itself.

Old
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
I wouldn't considering it messing with something that isn't broken to put our best PKer back into an already fantastic PK, any more than i would consider it a bad idea to put Sid back on the PP after an injury if our PP was statistically the best in the league.

But to be honest, while i've been very impressed with our forwards this year, i think the real strength of our PK has been how well our defenseman have played. Take someone out and put Staal in, and the straw that really stirs the drink remains unchanged.

I am in complete agreement with you that it would be best if Staal does well on the PP, the current PK continues to play well, and the problem just solves itself.
It's all in context. If the PP was clicking at 25%, you don't touch it. Right now the PK is hot, and you don't want to prematurely slow it down, which may happen if Staal is inserted. It's not because of him as a player, but because of the chemistry and the rhythm the unit is in right now. Regardless of how good the player being inserted is, it still throws things off a bit.

No reason really to debate any further. It's pretty clear you and I have differing philosophies.

Old
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Talbot, Cooke, and Adams are playing the best hockey of their lives right now.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:36 PM
SomeDude

So...we have a Selke nominated forward coming back, and it's a good idea to keep him off the PK? Have you guys ever played hockey? There's really not a ton of chemistry that goes into a PK from a forward perspective. You play your part of the ice. If everyone does it well, the PK succeeds. It's not like you're switching back and forth covering different sides of the ice, unless you have the worst PK strategy ever.

Staal is our best defensive forward, of course he's going to be on the PK.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote