HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nice article about O'Reilly

Old
11-30-2010, 03:30 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

vCash: 500
Nice article about O'Reilly

While we wait around to see if this Cohen/Hunwick trade will make more sense soon, I figured I'd pass along this nice article from the Denver Post about Ryan O'Reilly's practice habits:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...mpaign=twitter

Long story short O'Reilly is first on the ice, last off, and always doing something to try to improve his game. Sacco also payed him this great complement:

Quote:
Avs coach Joe Sacco, who enjoyed a 14-year, 738-game career in the NHL, said O'Reilly reminds him of former Toronto Maple Leafs teammate Wendel Clark.
"When I played with Wendel, he wasn't a rookie or second-year player. This was a guy who had played seven or eight years in the league, and he was always first on the ice and last to leave," Sacco said. "I see some resemblance in that. Obviously, Ryan is a very dedicated, committed kid. The amount of time he spends on the ice says a lot about his character. The kid really wants to be a good pro. It rubs off on your teammates, it becomes infectious. Other players see that he's working out there. It's just good for the team."
It's reading stuff like this that makes me believe this kid has to end up with a letter on his jersey sooner or later. Only 19 and already setting an example for the whole team on the ice. If he steps up to be a big presence in the locker room (maybe he already is, I just never heard anything), I'm not sure how he doesn't become captain in a few years.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:43 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

He has one heck of a head on his shoulders. We really lucked out with this one; he'll get a well-deserved letter on his jersey sooner rather than later.

madman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:54 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

That article doesn't score enough goals to be a real 3rd line article

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:09 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
He has one heck of a head on his shoulders. We really lucked out with this one; he'll get a well-deserved letter on his jersey sooner rather than later.
Not if he's scoring 4 goals a year, he won't. At least not a 'C'.

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 11-30-2010 at 09:30 AM.
ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
While we wait around to see if this Cohen/Hunwick trade will make more sense soon, I figured I'd pass along this nice article from the Denver Post about Ryan O'Reilly's practice habits:

Long story short O'Reilly is first on the ice, last off, and always doing something to try to improve his game.
Hopefully "shooting" and "puck control" and "foot speed" are on the practice list.

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 11-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old
11-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Tupe919
Finland = Polarbears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Not if he's scoring 4 goals a year, we won't.

-AB
I agree, because the captains should be the three most scoring players.

I'm glad Foote retires after this year, I can't understand what they are thinking when giving the C to that granpa who wouldn't hit a barrel even if he's sealed inside it.

Tupe919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:22 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
hahaha.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupe919 View Post
I agree, because the captains should be the three most scoring players.
Why? In my opinion captain has to be a player who leads the team by example. Work ethic is one great way to see that.

Duchene could also be the captain.

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:41 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupe919 View Post
I can't understand what they are thinking when giving the C to that granpa who wouldn't hit a barrel even if he's sealed inside it.
Exactly, though not for the reason you cite. Foote should have retired last year.

-AB

Old
11-30-2010, 11:12 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Why? In my opinion captain has to be a player who leads the team by example. Work ethic is one great way to see that.

Duchene could also be the captain.
That was sarcasm.

TheStranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
While there are more talented choices, I hope some day this kid gets to wear the "C".

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Very nice.

But honestly, RoR hasn't been nearly as good this year as he was last year. And I don't just mean offensively.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:20 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Very nice.

But honestly, RoR hasn't been nearly as good this year as he was last year. And I don't just mean offensively.
Sophomore slump? And it is very common among young players to be very up-and-down.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Not if he's scoring 4 goals a year, he won't. At least not a 'C'.

-AB
And why's that? Jeff Odgers was one of the best captains in the NHL a few years ago when he was still playing. He obviously doesn't score more than a couple a year. Just because a player isn't a top offensive threat, doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good captain. I've been saying for years that Liles has displayed captain like qualities OFF the ice, but people argue that his on ice product wasn't good enough. Being a captain is more than putting up points. I want a captain that can grab the lockerrooms attention when he speaks. One that players listen to, respect, and follow the on ice and off ice work ethic. A player who is involved in the community. This player doesn't have to be the most talented player on the team to be a great leader.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:00 PM
avsman

i think stazz stew or liles are next captain

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Liles won't be the captain.

I could see it being Hejduk for 2 years, if he re-signs.

If not him, then I bet it's Stastny.

It won't be Duchene.

Old
11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
And why's that? Jeff Odgers was one of the best captains in the NHL a few years ago when he was still playing. He obviously doesn't score more than a couple a year. Just because a player isn't a top offensive threat, doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good captain. I've been saying for years that Liles has displayed captain like qualities OFF the ice, but people argue that his on ice product wasn't good enough. Being a captain is more than putting up points. I want a captain that can grab the lockerrooms attention when he speaks. One that players listen to, respect, and follow the on ice and off ice work ethic. A player who is involved in the community. This player doesn't have to be the most talented player on the team to be a great leader.
I think the point he's getting across is that O'Reilly is certainly capable of more than four goals. I realize that he's probably doing it in the wrong way, overly criticizing of Radar and almost suggesting he won't amount to anything, but the pure point he's making is a solid one.

O'Reilly is capable of more. He is a shutdown guy and does a good job of that, but he has offensive tools, and he has the potential for forty, fifty points a year. And he's not playing like that. You want your captain to lead by example in not only practices, but games. You want your captain to play to the best of his abilities. And Radar hasn't found a way to do that yet. He has yet to translate all this hard work or whatever he's doing to in-game results.

A good time for him to step that up and pot some goals and assists would be right now. This is a crucial time for him. If he wants attention and powerplay time, he needs to produce some offense while we're getting killed by injuries to our top guys.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 01:10 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Go here and vote for him

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=847390

Old
12-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

If I were to pick a captain for next year from this year's roster I'd pick Hejduk, then Stazz, in that order. Despite the fact that teams appear to be in the habit of picking young captains I think it's a mistake for the most part to do this (though I certainly don't argue the choice of Toews for the Hawks). O'Reilly may or may not be captain of this team someday, but if we're talking in the next year or two my answer is heck no.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Very nice.

I haven't seen nearly enough games to comment on his all around play, but:

When I have been able to watch he's been very solid defensively, more than what we should expect from a 19 year old. And he's still 2nd in the league for Giveaway/Takeaway ratio, which is pretty impressive as he's only below Datsyuk. Faceoffs should be his next priority then the rest will come... or it won't... either way he'll be a great defensive forward for years to come.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
And why's that? Jeff Odgers was one of the best captains in the NHL a few years ago when he was still playing.

OK.

BTW, here are some O'R regular season stats to digest:

- 0 goals, 1 assist in his last 14 games.
- 2 goals in his last 50 games.
- 5 goals is his last 88 games.

Dude is barely an NHL player, offensively.

-AB

Old
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:

OK.

BTW, here are some O'R regular season stats to digest:

- 0 goals, 1 assist in his last 14 games.
- 2 goals in his last 50 games.
- 5 goals is his last 88 games.

Dude is barely an NHL player, offensively.

-AB
And Odgers, in his last 6 seasons(407 games)in the league(97-03) had the following stats:

20 goals
28 assists

What does any of that have to do with his leadership qualities? Not saying that RoR will ever be a captain, or ever wear an A either, but the notion that your best leader is the one that that puts up the most points or that is gifted offensively, is absurd.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
And Odgers, in his last 6 seasons(407 games)in the league(97-03) had the following stats:

20 goals
28 assists

What does any of that have to do with his leadership qualities? Not saying that RoR will ever be a captain, or ever wear an A either, but the notion that your best leader is the one that that puts up the most points or that is gifted offensively, is absurd.
AB's point is not that Ryan O'Reilly has to be some great scorer but I think it's valid to point out that he needs to take the next step in his development before we should even begin a conversation about him being captain material. I remember some Habs fans were already anointing Kyle Chipchura a future captain before he even played a single NHL game. Turns out he's not only not captain material, but barely NHL material at all. Thankfully O'Reilly is already a better player than Chips at this point, but it's no secret he's struggling a bit offensively this season, and he needs to round out that part of his game.

I don't think you'll see many more captains like Jeff Odgers or Kelly Buchberger being named captain in the NHL any longer. Those kinds of captains were nice and all for the expansion era, but in the cap era you want an impact player who is going to be a VISIBLE presence in the lineup every single night. Giving it to you best "heart and soul" guy is a nice sentiment but it can backfire. The Flames picked Dave Lowry to be their captain a few year back and he proceeded to take his C to press box and then the minors. Craig Rivet has been a healthy scratch for a good chunk of the season and there's already talk of stripping him of the title. Ethan Moreau was a better player than Lowry or Buchberger and most Oilers fans'll tell you he was one of the worst captains in franchise history. And I don't think Odgers is the best example anyhow. Dude is by all accounts a likeable guy, but I seem to remember he was captain of two very lousy teams in San Jose and later Atlanta.

It's silly to say that scoring talent should be the deciding factor...but I think it's equally silly to say that it plays no factor at all.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:49 AM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
OK, I'm not hugely interested in going too deep into this rathole, but let's make sure we don't go down the path of revisionist history. If memory serves, Odgers was a captain for exactly one season of his career - in San Jose in 95-96 (I was a season ticket holder there at the time). That season, the team was an utter mess - they fired Constantine after two 2nd round playoff appearances and hired one Jim Wiley as coach, the best player on the roster for the whole season was Craig Janney, and they had lots of roster turnover which included scrubs galore: Doug Bodger, Yves Racine, Ray Sheppard (for a few games), and Chris Terreri in goal. Ugh. Odgers was given the captain's job out of sheer desperation of a dead last place team (actually, Ottawa might have been worse) in total disarray. Not that Odgers was a bad guy or anything, but he was a scrub player, and captains of hockey teams need to be on the damn ice, and I don't mean at practice.

Are you sure you really want to make this Odgers comparison in reference to O'R? I'm hoping we can aim a bit higher...

Quote:
I agree. But, the best leaders need to be on the ice. And forwards who score 4 goals per year are not going to be on the ice a lot.

-AB

Old
12-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

I would be disappointed if somebody other than Chris Stewart was the Avs next captain.

Helton4Hall is online now   Reply With Quote