HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nice article about O'Reilly

Old
12-08-2010, 09:14 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
He aims at the chest or abdomen, which may be understandable given your second point but it's not an overly difficult shot to control. Another problem is that many of those shots you allude to don't necessarily have a skater in the immediate vicinity of the crease. Even if the goalie did bobble the puck, it's essentially a non-starter in terms of chances.

I don't think he needs to produce at the rate of a 2nd liner, nor do I think many hold that belief, but RoR can go invisible several games in a row offensively. We really can't afford that. I agree that he should drive more to the net (front or behind as the situation warrants) when opportunities present themselves; a good offense can be good defense too...
I still think the problem is more with his slow release from his patented just-over-the-blueline-top-of-the-circle-slapshot. No matter where O'Reilly aims the goalie is always going to be perfectly square to him.

I couldn't agree with you more on the second point. The front of the net is always wide open when he shoots, not a friendly jersey in sight. But a lot of his shots come from opposition turnovers though. You could fault his linemates just as much as you could O'Reilly for the lack of traffic.

I understand that some people would like more consistency, but 3rd line players usually aren't consistent, it's the nature of the job. Defense comes first, offense comes second.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:30 PM
NHL33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJoe View Post
I still think the problem is more with his slow release from his patented just-over-the-blueline-top-of-the-circle-slapshot. No matter where O'Reilly aims the goalie is always going to be perfectly square to him.

I couldn't agree with you more on the second point. The front of the net is always wide open when he shoots, not a friendly jersey in sight. But a lot of his shots come from opposition turnovers though. You could fault his linemates just as much as you could O'Reilly for the lack of traffic.
I guess I would rather he take it deep behind the net or drive to the crease depending on the situation and feasibility than shoot at all in those cases. Let the other skaters catch up. You'll have to keep in mind he often has better vision than his linemates, and his skating has really caught up - we saw improvements even mid-season last year - so many times he's simply a step ahead of the others.

Quote:
I understand that some people would like more consistency, but 3rd line players usually aren't consistent, it's the nature of the job. Defense comes first, offense comes second.
I don't think anyone disagrees, but there needs to be something, which RoR is not providing. NEB is right, Galiardi's presence would go miles toward getting RoR in his comfort zone offensively. Plus Galiardi will often be right there with RoR when O'Reilly is leading the rush.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 07:38 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:

I don't think anyone disagrees, but there needs to be something, which RoR is not providing.
I agree with your assertion. And I agree that it's a need. Last year, every playoff team had their 3rd line center score at a at least 10-15 goal pace (quick statistical glance) - though some teams had their main 3rd guy hurt for awhile. The Avs didn't, but our 4th line center (Hendricks) made up for O'R's lack of scoring a bit, netting goals at a 13 goal pace. Don't think the Avs are going to quite get that out of Dupuis this year.

IMO, a playoff team needs its 3rd line center to score some goals, regardless of what other responsibilities that player has. I don't think the Avs are any different. There is a nice amount of scoring depth amassed at forward that could potentially make up for it, but the way those guys have been getting injured...

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 12-09-2010 at 07:45 AM.
ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:59 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I agree with your assertion. And I agree that it's a need. Last year, every playoff team had their 3rd line center score at a at least 10-15 goal pace (quick statistical glance) - though some teams had their main 3rd guy hurt for awhile. The Avs didn't, but our 4th line center (Hendricks) made up for O'R's lack of scoring a bit, netting goals at a 13 goal pace. Don't think the Avs are going to quite get that out of Dupuis this year.

IMO, a playoff team needs its 3rd line center to score some goals, regardless of what other responsibilities that player has. I don't think the Avs are any different. There is a nice amount of scoring depth amassed at forward that could potentially make up for it, but the way those guys have been getting injured...

-AB
Maybe O'Reilly isn't cut out to be a goal scorer, maybe he becomes more of a playmaker. I don't care who gets the goals, assist are still valuable too. I think a reasonable expectation for O'Reilly is 30pts. He's not far behind the pace, especially given the injuries.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:19 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJoe View Post
Maybe O'Reilly isn't cut out to be a goal scorer, maybe he becomes more of a playmaker. I don't care who gets the goals, assist are still valuable too.
You may be correct - I certainly hope so. He does seem to move the puck to his teammates pretty well in transition.

He has but 1 assist in his last 19 games though. And IIRC, he went through a 40ish game stretch last year without one also. So, calling a player with that recent history a 'playmaker' might be a stretch at this point...

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 12-09-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old
12-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

EMPTY NET GOAL!

Take THAT A Basin!

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
NHL33*

He's obviously played better offensively since the criticism was placed, but he's also doing much better defensively imo.

Old
12-14-2010, 06:25 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
EMPTY NET GOAL!

Take THAT A Basin!
Hey, they all count - don't care if they're pretty. It's good to see. He's been playing very differently in the offensive zone for three games now. Hope he keeps it up.

But this is the point. If O'R doesn't bag those two points last night, do the Avs still win the game? Debatable...

-AB

Old
12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

RoR spends almost the entire game on the perimeter, that's his problem. It's almost Wolski-esque.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:07 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
RoR spends almost the entire game on the perimeter, that's his problem. It's almost Wolski-esque.
Now *that* was a hell of a goal by O'R.

4-5 or so games ago, O'R started playing less around the perimeter, and more at the net. It shows.

-AB

Old
12-17-2010, 11:12 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Now *that* was a hell of a goal by O'R.

4-5 or so games ago, O'R started playing less around the perimeter, and more at the net. It shows.

-AB
Agreed. When he goes to the net, he's a very effective player, because he does have pretty quick hands. He just needs to drive the net more.

Good for O'Reilly to pick up his game when his team needed him most. With some top guys out, he has to step up and he has for the most part.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:42 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Agreed. When he goes to the net, he's a very effective player, because he does have pretty quick hands. He just needs to drive the net more.

Good for O'Reilly to pick up his game when his team needed him most. With some top guys out, he has to step up and he has for the most part.

It's not just around the net, whenever I watch I'm blown away by how strong he is along the boards. He needs to gain confidence in the fact that his linemates have him covered defensively and he'll be able to get more involved offensively.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:43 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post
It's a different type of perimeter play though, RoR stays outside because he's afraid of missing a defensive assignment, Wojo did it because he was lazy.

Old
12-17-2010, 11:47 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
It's a different type of perimeter play though, RoR stays outside because he's afraid of missing a defensive assignment, Wojo did it because he was lazy.
True, but the offensive results will be the same. Wolski was able to put up more points because he is more talented a player. He could get away with more perimeter play and still put up points (though not as many as he could have had), but playing on the perimeter is not a recipe for getting goals/points, generally speaking.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:54 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
True, but the offensive results will be the same. Wolski was able to put up more points because he is more talented a player. He could get away with more perimeter play and still put up points (though not as many as he could have had), but playing on the perimeter is not a recipe for getting goals/points, generally speaking.
Oh I know, and I totally agree. Like I said, RoR needs to trust that his linemates will cover him, he's very strong along the boards and can create some good chances from in close. He just needs to keep going there, unlike Wojo who was lazy, RoR cares too much about his defensive assignments.

Old
12-18-2010, 07:25 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:

Yes and yes. This is my point - the Avs need those points from their 3rd line center in order to win at a playoff level. Three games ago in Chicago, then last night - do the Avs win without O'R on the scoreboard?

Put another way, I'd like to share an interesting stat: in the games in which O'R has registered at least a point, how many of those games have the Avs also registered at least a point? Answer: 100% of those games - all of them.

-AB

Old
12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Pure

Another excellent game from RoR last night. Like I said, guys with his work ethic and hockey sense, I'm just not worried about.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
And considering you made an almost identical prediction of TJ Galiardi exactly one year ago

-AB

Old
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
NHL33*

Quote:

-AB
Impressive. So, should I be quoting you when Galiardi returns to form? Which emoticon do you think will be appropriate?

Old
01-19-2011, 08:29 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
So, should I be quoting you when Galiardi returns to form?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Which emoticon do you think will be appropriate?
Any one you want.

-AB

Old
01-20-2011, 09:04 AM
volaju

Quote:

-AB
Uhhh... haha. If you want me to, I can dig up the posts for you. But I have a pretty good memory. Here's the breakdown:

AB: "Galiardi does not have top 6 skill. Not even close to it, in fact."

AB, some months later, after I conceded that Forsberg looked worse than I expected in the Olympics: "And I was wrong about Galiardi, too."

So, are we throwing that later revelation away and equivocating again, AB? Is it now convenient to fall back on your "factual" claim that Galiardi does not have top 6 skill because Joe Sacco's one-track mind sent him to the minors? Does the punishment of a kid with a bright future please you?

Honestly, your narcissism is astounding.

Last edited by volaju: 01-20-2011 at 09:17 AM.
volaju is offline   Reply With Quote