HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last Place, but Are You Envious of the Oilers' Youth?

Old
11-30-2010, 08:48 AM
topcheese1984*

vCash: 500
Last Place, but Are You Envious of the Oilers' Youth?

They may be in last place, but the silver lining is obviously their youth. I find it harder and harder to watch Flames games now considering they're likely to finish somewhere from 10-12 in the Conference, thus not get a great pick and be in for the same fate going forward...

The Oilers may be the laughing stock right now:

http://www.ff-press.com/david-suzuki...80%99-net.html

But going forward they will be the ones laughing!

Ugh

topcheese1984* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
robmneilson

Meh, the Oilers have gone through a half dozen rebuild cycles. True they have some nice young talent, but will they want to stay with the Oil? Considering how quickly young players are going from league minimum to big contracts it might be harder to keep their big three together.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:45 AM
flamesfan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
Meh, the Oilers have gone through a half dozen rebuild cycles. True they have some nice young talent, but will they want to stay with the Oil? Considering how quickly young players are going from league minimum to big contracts it might be harder to keep their big three together.
Thats very true. I do like where they are headed with there youth though. They lack defense but getting a good pick "again" they can draft a good d-man that can grow with the rebuild. Also there goalie problems are hurting them. I think in the next little while here there going to be a good little team.

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
StreakingRed
We Want Gold!

Honestly speaking, I couldn't care less what's happening in Edmonton.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Pilkington

Yes I am.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Signature
Trademarked™

vCash: 1500
Somewhat, but -

The Edmonton youth are a skilled bunch, there is absolutely no denying that. However, they will have at least another season of mediocrity before they rise, IMO, and that might be too much time lost regarding ELC - they'll have to re-sign the year after, I believe.

But the thing I'd worry about is, at the beginning of a team rebuild, your team is going to suck. It just will. Plus, when you're young, playing your first 82, where you're encounter 2-4 game losing streaks, finishing a season under .500 - that's not easy for them to take mentally or even emotionally. I'd worry a LOT about raising the young players in a "losing environment." To say that they would be discouraged enough to leave the team because of a disconnect between the environment and themselves, well, nobody likes seeing that, but it happens.

I think I'll be more envious if A) we don't start our own re-boot within 2 season, and B) if Edmonton actually manages to keep the core together.

For now, they're just AHL'ers for the rest of the season and onto next season (but with noticeable improvement next season.)

Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
GoFlames

The oilers are rebuilding practically every season... so not jealous. I think if the Flames are on the outside looking in they want to tank as low as possible as really being 9th or 15th is the same result.... no playoffs

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Lunatik*

there is nothing to envy about being the worst team in the league... let alone possibly 2 years in a row

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Areid1990

They got some great young talent, but with the Salary cap, who really knows what's going to happen over there in 5 years time and remember they've had "Talent" before and those "Talents" didn't pan out....

At this point I really don't know what our direction should be or is, but it will be a wacky couple of years I think.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:15 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
there is nothing to envy about being the worst team in the league... let alone possibly 2 years in a row
Except for lottery picks.

I'm not going to lie I am very envious.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:09 AM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post

Not the way the Oilers got it. Embarrassing.

27 wins
55 losses
-70 goal differential

No fricken way.

What I'm envious of is Boston, not only are they a playoff team and Cup contender, they managed to find their way to the podium for the 2nd overall pick.

Might end up happening again this year.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post

one thing I am very proud of as a Flames fan is that we have no had a top 5 pick in franchise history... losing is not something to be envious of no matter what prospects you get as a result

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
The Gnome

Envious right now? Absoulutly not.

Envious in a few years? Maybe, but given the Oils track record of rebuilding I'd say not likely.

Although if I could put any rookie in a flaming C it would absolutly be Eberle, he is one hell of a special player. Reminds me of my favourite of all time, Stevie-Y.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Signature
Trademarked™

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Envious right now? Absoulutly not.

Envious in a few years? Maybe, but given the Oils track record of rebuilding I'd say not likely.

Although if I could put any rookie in a flaming C it would absolutly be Eberle, he is one hell of a special player. Reminds me of my favourite of all time, Stevie-Y.
Completely agree - it feels like we have a poor-man's Eberle in our Swedish Backlund, but I do believe that the biggest thing separating them is talent ceiling.

Old
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys View Post
Completely agree - it feels like we have a poor-man's Eberle in our Swedish Backlund, but I do believe that the biggest thing separating them is talent ceiling.
I have not problem with Backlund though. Even if he doesn't inprove much offensivly his defensive game is supurb for someone his age. Imagine when he's 27, I could see a selke nomination in his future.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Signature
Trademarked™

Again, I agree - there's no real problem with Backlund's play. He's like a smoother, maybe more offensively gifted Langkow. Responsible and all that.

But dang, Eberle's got flash.

Old
12-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
one thing I am very proud of as a Flames fan is that we have no had a top 5 pick in franchise history... losing is not something to be envious of no matter what prospects you get as a result
I disagree. If the Flames had a few top five picks in the mid/late 90's they could have had a proper rebuild instead of suffering through seven years of hell.

Imagine how different the team might have been had they drafted the likes of Luongo (4th in 97) or Olli Jokinen (the good version) at 3rd in 97 instead of Dan Tkaczuk at #6, and Brad Stuart (3rd in 98) instead of Rico Fata at #6 .

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Signature
Trademarked™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I disagree. If the Flames had a few top five picks in the mid/late 90's they could have had a proper rebuild instead of suffering through seven years of hell.

Imagine how different the team might have been had they drafted the likes of Luongo (4th in 97) or Olli Jokinen (the good version) at 3rd in 97 instead of Dan Tkaczuk at #6, and Brad Stuart (3rd in 98) instead of Rico Fata at #6 .
Or if Hakan Loob had stayed - we'd probably have had a very different history. Could have used him for an asset for a trade at the end of his career. Things might even have been different for Fleury. Heck, we might not even have Iginla. We'll never know, but we did suffer those terrible years, but it is what it is.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I can understand if Flames fans aren't envious of the Oilers.
We came in 30th last year and probably bottom 5 this year.

But our saving grace has been replacing the Kevin Prendergast scouting regime with Stu MacGregor in 2007.
62.7% of Prendergast's draft picks never played a game. Hemsky was likely the only player to have a real impact and he was the BPA for his draft position.

What I see in Calgary is something similar. About 1 potential NHLer in every draft class with nobody beating down the door to get in.
The Flames need to hire a better scouting team and start looking outside their comfort zone for talent.

Your re-build is coming Flames fans. For your sake, I hope a non-Sutter is standing at the draft podium this spring.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post

Or Zach Parise, Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Mike Richards instead of Dion Phanuef for out top 10 picks?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 11:34 PM
OILNATION*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Or Zach Parise, Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Mike Richards instead of Dion Phanuef for out top 10 picks?
ALthough in retrospect every team passes on good players

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:03 AM
lefty2time*

You guys should blow up your team and do a real youth movement...I dont see the problem in trading off your stars and landing 3 or 4 years of top 10 picks....Its not like Iginla and Kipper are getting better..they are/have peaked.
Currently your team has a pretty crappy future.

I had the Oil as much as I hate the Flames....both teams suck right now..but at least the Oil have a bright future.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:19 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILNATION View Post
ALthough in retrospect every team passes on good players
I know, but it was cuz the other poster mentioned the difference if we hadn't failed so many first round picks in the last decade

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:16 AM
OILNATION*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I know, but it was cuz the other poster mentioned the difference if we hadn't failed so many first round picks in the last decade
Ah I see, well it looks like this year you guys should be able to pick up a gem.. Maybe even 2 or 3 if Sutter sells at the deadline. I hope Calgary can get a solid youth movement going, the BoB could be sick in a few years.

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

the flames were at the top of the mountain and started our decent down last yr by missing the playoffs where as the oilers are at the bottom of the mountain starting their ascent up and they should be the better team in ayear or two. but having said that i am not envious of them, just wish we could speed up the process of getting better for ourselves sa i don't think adding a FA or a tweak here or there is enough to address our concerns. i understand teams like chi, wsh, pit all had to endure many losing seasons, stockpiling picks and assets before getting to where they are at but still it's no guarantee. not taking anything away from the team to the north as they should do alright with hall, eberle, mps.

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote