HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Last Place, but Are You Envious of the Oilers' Youth?

Old
12-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Domino1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
No Stajan is not a prospect.... he is a NHL regular which is the better of the two, a proven commodity. Sure Gagner might allegedly surpass Stajan's points but could of would of should of comes to mind.
Point wise they are fairly similar with Gagner averaging .60 points a game over his 250 game career and Stajan averaging .51 points over his 496 game career, However Gagner does make $1.25 mm less a year at the moment

Domino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Roadrage

More envious of the potential of the youth since all teams have youth. I look at the Oilers young guns and will say they have great potential and need only time to hone their game. The Oilers aren't afraid to draft Europeans or smaller skilled players early like the Flames. I look at the Flames youth and I don't see much except for some potential solid 2nd liners and a stable full of grinders/checkers. No one screams (or quietly raises their hand even) first line potential in the minors nor in junior. No matter how the Oilers youth turns out, they currently have that feeling of possibly contending for years to come, Calgary does not.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
one thing I am very proud of as a Flames fan is that we have no had a top 5 pick in franchise history...
I was shocked to read that...never knew this. 3 or 4 top 6 picks though.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:27 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
More envious of the potential of the youth since all teams have youth. I look at the Oilers young guns and will say they have great potential and need only time to hone their game. The Oilers aren't afraid to draft Europeans or smaller skilled players early like the Flames. I look at the Flames youth and I don't see much except for some potential solid 2nd liners and a stable full of grinders/checkers. No one screams (or quietly raises their hand even) first line potential in the minors nor in junior. No matter how the Oilers youth turns out, they currently have that feeling of possibly contending for years to come, Calgary does not.
Wahl, Howse come to mind. Our prospects on D are also solid.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Hemsky4PM

Sutter and his crew are drafting and managing the Flames into oblivion.

It's amazing how long someone can ride out a miracle run (2004...a long time ago now.)

Beyond the occassional depth d-man (Pelech, Brodie) the Flames drafting record under Sutter's regime has been abysmal.

I was incredibly upset with the Oilers drafts (first round in particular) before they made a change and put Stu McGregor in charge. This past summer they went further and fired Kevin Prendergast, who was the architech of such horrid draft picks as Pouliot, Niinimaki and Mikhnov.

The Flames need to make a change.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
neither are seen to have 1st line potential... Nemisz is the closest IMO but that is only if he keeps progressing as well as he has been for a few more years

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
I don't see them as first line potential...Howse a possible solid 2nd liner and Wahl a borderline 2nd liner. Our D can't play first line...they can play top pairing but I find that none of our picks/minor leagures have that potential either (Closest being probably Erixon).

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:56 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
After seeing the Linus Omark goal... yeah, I'm jealous. Omark, Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Jones, Brule are the future top 6. Not to mention Cogliano and Gagne are still young and proven top 6 capable

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
After seeing the Linus Omark goal... yeah, I'm jealous. Omark, Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Jones, Brule are the future top 6. Not to mention Cogliano and Gagne are still young and proven top 6 capable
It's going to get overshadowed by Omark's hot dog SO winner, but Hall outplayed Stamkos tonight (both were good though). Completely dominant in the OT.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:56 PM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDog View Post
the flames were at the top of the mountain and started our decent down last yr by missing the playoffs where as the oilers are at the bottom of the mountain starting their ascent up and they should be the better team in ayear or two. but having said that i am not envious of them, just wish we could speed up the process of getting better for ourselves sa i don't think adding a FA or a tweak here or there is enough to address our concerns. i understand teams like chi, wsh, pit all had to endure many losing seasons, stockpiling picks and assets before getting to where they are at but still it's no guarantee. not taking anything away from the team to the north as they should do alright with hall, eberle, mps.
After tonites loss i want to go back and change my previous answer.. Hell ya, i am jealous of the team to the north. With all their youth they've got every reason to be optimistic and you can already see them improving by leaps and bounds since the start of the season. Where as the Flames on the other hand keep kidding themselves we are a player or two away from being a contender. At first i though us missing the playoffs last yr was an anomaly but after the past few weeks i am finally convinced it's time to blow it up and follow the youth movement thats been succesful for teams like pits and chi in the salary cap era. only thing i hope for is that it's not slow and painlful.

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 05:57 AM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

Envious of some roster pieces, but not envious of their fans

J Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I was incredibly upset with the Oilers drafts (first round in particular) before they made a change and put Stu McGregor in charge. This past summer they went further and fired Kevin Prendergast, who was the architech of such horrid draft picks as Pouliot, Niinimaki and Mikhnov.

The Flames need to make a change.
Yes, the genius that got us Chucko, Pelech and company is still running the Flames scouting....**** Sutter

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Lord Daftwager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers View Post
Envious of some roster pieces, but not envious of their fans
The fan that doesn't realize he/she's as bad as the next fan is pretty ignorant.

Lord Daftwager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:44 PM
VaporGenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Daftwager View Post
The fan that doesn't realize he/she's as bad as the next fan is pretty ignorant.
No kidding

VaporGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Daftwager View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunTheODR View Post
No kidding
Bazinga!

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Lord Daftwager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Bazinga!
That said, I'm an idiot. Passion clouds judgement, it's one of the luxuries of being a fan!

Lord Daftwager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:32 PM
macho232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
one thing I am very proud of as a Flames fan is that we have no had a top 5 pick in franchise history... losing is not something to be envious of no matter what prospects you get as a result
Pittsburgh and Chicago disagree with you...so do I

We need to finish with a top 5 pick this year and start from there. I don't think we need to dump our core guys, but losing is what we need for the rest of this year

macho232 is offline   Reply With Quote