HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Letang better than Marc Staal?

Old
11-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
Comparing Letang to Del Zotto is a much more natural comparison because they play similar styles if not similar quality - yet.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 09:57 PM
ProdigalOne*

Just for the record, Letang and Orpik faces the top line competition usually, not M and M. Letang is also right at the top in plus minus. Hes been excellent defensively this year. If its norms, theyre pretty even edge to staal. So far this year its letang, not close. Pretty even defensively but Letang has had an elite offensive game. As mentioned though its only 25 games so well see if he keeps it up.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
LASKOO

Yes. Next question.

LASKOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
they're two different players, but Letang's certainly starting to look a lot more complete than Staal is. However, I think it's a lot harder to find someone as close to being a shut down defenseman as Staal is and on his way to being, versus an above average offensive defenseman that is good in his own end.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Comparing Letang to Del Zotto is a much more natural comparison because they play similar styles if not similar quality - yet.
except Letang is 1,000 times better than MDZ in his own zone

and actually tallying points...lol

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
they're two different players, but Letang's certainly starting to look a lot more complete than Staal is. However, I think it's a lot harder to find someone as close to being a shut down defenseman as Staal is and on his way to being, versus an above average offensive defenseman that is good in his own end.
Depends how much of Letang's start to this season is a reflection of what we're going to get from him in the future.

If he is suddenly going to be a 60+ points defender or close, then Staal's edge on him defensively is not enough to make up the gap value wise. But that is a hell of an assumption with Letang having averaged 30 points per season over the past two years.
His defensive game has exploded to the same extent as his offensive game, so us Pens fans have to be a bit weary of it being a hot streak.... because his improvement from last year is just meteoric.

Don't think the two players are quite as different as many here suggest though. Both are great skaters and rather all-round first pairing defensemen (just wait, Staal's offense will come around too, if nothing else when the Rangers become less anaemic offensively). Difference is that Letang is a bit of a blend between a nr.1 and nr. 2 whereas Staal is a straight up nr.2. As number 2's go, Staal will be one of the very best.

So who's better? I don't think either team would want to make the trade.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 04:51 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Sigh... I like where this will go.

Letang and M. Staal play differently in their perspective zones. They also have different frames, speeds, and shots. Its a very hard comparison to make.

It really depends on what you are looking at... I am not even going to try and touch a break down of the two simply due to the fact that I know I couldn't be 100% unbiased and I feel they are two hard to compare in a who's who form.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Letang had his growing pains in Pittsburgh. Broke into the league as a 20 year old. Defense is a tough position to play in the NHL. A little background for people who rip on MDZ. Read some comments yersterday by Dean Lombardi regarding the struggles on Jack Johnson and Drew Doughty so far this season. Patience!!!!

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 07:06 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
They are both good players, but I wouldn't trade Staal for Letang....

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Apples and oranges indeed, but I'm not going to chalk Letang up as an elite player based on 25 games. He's notoriously inconsistent, so for all we know he could go on a 15 game scoring drought.

If I had a buck for every time people said Letang has "finally figured it out," I'd be sitting pretty.

And Staal isn't?

I look at it this way: what we have seen the last two seasons is that Staal has gone through long spurts where he is being outplayed by his companions on defense.

Last season, Roszival was clearly the best d-man on the team the last two or three months.

This season, Girardi has been the most steady on defense for us, with both Sauer and Eminger having spurts where they were more reliable than Staal. Sad but true.

We need a Lentang-type more than we need a Staal. With Sauer emerging as a solid defensive defenseman, and McIlrath being groomed as a top-pairing bruiser, Staal could become somewhat expendable.

But something tells me that once Tortorella is gone, Staal will finally blossom into that
legit No. 1 d-man we've been looking for.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
94now

I dismiss "apple and oranges" notion. That may be true if comparison was made for someone retired or at the end of the careers. They just 23, they could be anything at this point. Sure Torts has his job on the line, so he wants to win now, while PIT has a vacuum after Gonchar departure. That forces Staal to shutdown role one way or another, no doubt. But I don't think Rangers hold him back, really.
Can Staal shoot like Letang? I haven't seen slapshot with accuracy from Mark, only wristers I recall. Last game Moronetti was fast enough to conclude that Crosby's pass was everything and Letang had just "put it in". I don't think so.
We need a help from D in production for many years. Somehow other teams get it from within the organization.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
except Letang is 1,000 times better than MDZ in his own zone

and actually tallying points...lol
Letang is also 3 years older and has played 3 more full NHL seasons than MDZ. Del Zotto is still just a 20 year old kid. A lot of people seem to forget that.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Fataldogg

Hard to compare them.

If my team is down one goal and we need a quick goal to get back in the game, then I'd want Letang on the ice.

The other team is down by one goal, they send out their top tier talent in a desperate attempt to tie it up, then I'd rather have Staal on the ice.

Two different styles.

Me? I'd rather have Staal overall. That is just because I think shut down defense men are more important to have on a team than offensive defense man.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
And Staal isn't?

I look at it this way: what we have seen the last two seasons is that Staal has gone through long spurts where he is being outplayed by his companions on defense.

Last season, Roszival was clearly the best d-man on the team the last two or three months.

This season, Girardi has been the most steady on defense for us, with both Sauer and Eminger having spurts where they were more reliable than Staal. Sad but true.

We need a Lentang-type more than we need a Staal. With Sauer emerging as a solid defensive defenseman, and McIlrath being groomed as a top-pairing bruiser, Staal could become somewhat expendable.

But something tells me that once Tortorella is gone, Staal will finally blossom into that
He already is the team's best defense man. Staal very much is continuing to blossom! And how in the world is he being out played by his fellow companions?? I'm shocked you actually came to these conclusions. It's more like the complete opposite! In no way shape or form was Rozsival "clearly" the best "d" man on the team last season...

I understand people hate Tortorella. But at the very least, base it on some legitimate ####!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
mullichicken25

granted i wasn't able to watch the isles game because of a buisness trip but it looks like staal has been playing a lot meaner as of late

he was always phyisical....but recently it looks like he's trying to elevate his game to flat out violent

gotta love it

he's only going to get stronger, and better, hope a career ranger

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
94now

I vote both Mark Staal and Kris Letang for allstar game. There may be better Ds that are older and there could be more promising that are younger (like MDZ), but I find those two at 23 yoa just remarkable.

Old
12-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
And Staal isn't?

Again, they're in entirely different situations. Staal has been asked from day 1 to be the backbone of a pretty mediocre defensive group. Letang has been eased into it with the presence of older guys like Orpik and Gonchar, and now Martin.

We need a Letang-type more than a Staal type? That's entirely subjective. Do we need a right handed d-man who can play the offensive side of the puck at that level? Yes, but certainly not at the expense of Staal. As much as I like Sauer, he in no way shape or form makes Staal expendable. There's not one shred of logic in that idea.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Letang's team is immeasureably more lethal than Staal's for starters. even with him hot, no team is pressuring the Pit pointmen on the PP and leaving those fwds to outman the defense down low.

he's not really more aggressive from the blueline, nor does he have a superior shot. also while he's pretty quick to the puck, he hardly EVER moves his legs once the puck is on his stick.

not to mention he couldn't d-up anywhere near Staal's work ethic/strength/quickness.

defense isn't really based on who's doing better in fantasy hockey

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:11 PM
94now

Mark, have read this thread? Nice goal, buddy...

Old
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I think Letang has a bit more natural puck talent, Staal obviously has the better body. I think Staal is also smarter than Letang is, though they both still have a lot of room to grow in becoming veteran defensemen.

Letang's offensive pop makes him fit a #1 role a bit easier, whereas I think if Staal developed more offensive pop, his defensive game would make him superior.

I like both guys a lot. They could be Team Canada guys in later years.

Also, you guys don't like Tortorella? I think he's doing okay, there's just no real threats after Gaborik. Callahan, Dubinski, I think these are good hockey players who have talent, but they don't make goalies back up in their net.

Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 12-03-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Again, they're in entirely different situations. Staal has been asked from day 1 to be the backbone of a pretty mediocre defensive group. Letang has been eased into it with the presence of older guys like Orpik and Gonchar, and now Martin.

We need a Letang-type more than a Staal type? That's entirely subjective. Do we need a right handed d-man who can play the offensive side of the puck at that level? Yes, but certainly not at the expense of Staal. As much as I like Sauer, he in no way shape or form makes Staal expendable. There's not one shred of logic in that idea.

You're twisting my words. I said Sauer's emergence coupled with the McIlrath pick could one day make Staal expendable.

Letang is a proven playoff performer and Cup winner, who is also having a Norris-caliber season so far.

Everyone is quick to dismiss what he's done because he plays with Crosby and malkin, but if you watch him on a nightly basis, he's playing like a clear-cut No. 1.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:39 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
You're twisting my words. I said Sauer's emergence coupled with the McIlrath pick could one day make Staal expendable.

Letang is a proven playoff performer and Cup winner, who is also having a Norris-caliber season so far.

Everyone is quick to dismiss what he's done because he plays with Crosby and malkin, but if you watch him on a nightly basis, he's playing like a clear-cut No. 1.

Sauer and McIlrath dont have anywhere near similar skill sets to Staal. I mean, they can both body up strong in the low slot, and win battles along the boards, but hockey is also played in the open ice. Staal's open ice skating and puck handling is excellent for a physical shut down defensemen.

Letang is certainly playing like a number 1, but let's be honest if you had one selection to put on your blueline and the choices were Sauer + McIlrath, Letang, or Staal, the modern NHL almost demands you make Staal that pick.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:34 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

I agree with this, but it goes both ways. Letang is playing like a clear-cut No. 1 right now, for the first time in his career. The rest of his career he has looked like a 3-4. He's an offensive defenseman, and before this season his career high in points was 6 more then Staal's. Staal's 27 points on crap teams with 0 power play time >>>>>>>> Letang's 33 points playing big PP minutes with Crosby and Malkin. Honestly Letang is playing out of his mind right now, and Staal hasn't been far behind him.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:51 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I said Sauer's emergence coupled with the McIlrath pick could one day make Staal expendable.
And I could start ******** $100 bills.

12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
ecemleafs

he puts up more points so he must be.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote