HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Kid's skates sizing

Old
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

vCash: 500
OT: Kid's skates sizing

Got my son signed up for the Learn to Play program. He turned 4 in September, and he's all about hockey on the time. He plays on socks in our hallway firing pucks at the back of the door.

So, went to do the order form for equipment, and just want to be sure I am ordering the correct size.

I am assuming Youth size 8-13 would be equivalent to youth show size 8-13 (or I guess 7-12). Junior sizes 1-5 would larger than youth sizes, smaller than adult sizes.

Correct? Thanks guys.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
JTG

I would go to a hockey store and try the skates on. I never trusted those rules of skate sizing. It changed from company to company. If he some day settled on one specific skate company, then you could probably get away with ordering skates without trying them on (though I would personally never recommend doing that).

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Got my son signed up for the Learn to Play program. He turned 4 in September, and he's all about hockey on the time. He plays on socks in our hallway firing pucks at the back of the door.

So, went to do the order form for equipment, and just want to be sure I am ordering the correct size.

I am assuming Youth size 8-13 would be equivalent to youth show size 8-13 (or I guess 7-12). Junior sizes 1-5 would larger than youth sizes, smaller than adult sizes.

Correct? Thanks guys.
If you are in Pgh, head out to a hockey shop like Peranis and make sure he tries skates on before ordering them.

Skates like CCM are fitted wider, while Bauer has a more narrow boot etc.

My little nephew (who is a beast) has been skating since he was 2, and he has gone though a number of skate problems, including his last pair giving him wicked blisters which he didn't tell my bro in law about until they were bleeding badly.

So the best thing you can do is take him to a shop, see which pair fit then order them online.

Make sure he stands up and flexes his ankles/knees... and be sure to keep an eye on his feet for blisters.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:13 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Thanks guys.

Here is the rundown of the equipment they get thru Sid/Penguins/Reebok.

http://penguins.nhl.com/v2/ext/pdf/L...nguins2010.pdf

I am seeing if Dick's carries these skates (since that is where you pick up the equipment) and get out there and try a few pairs on before ordering.

Old
11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Saved*

Don't buy skates that he has to "grow into!" please please please please.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 11:26 AM
JTG

Yeah, get everything to fit him now. I remember helping out with a developmental team and I told one of the coaches, that kids skates look like they aren't tied because his ankles were bowed in. He said, it's not because they aren't tied, it's because the parents bought 2 sizes bigger so he could grow into them.

That kid will probably have skating issues for the foreseeable future because he has started skating using skates that don't fit right.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
LawnyIris

Definitely have him try on a pair in a store before buying. I help coach a Mite team and have seen parents cut corners on getting the right skates. It is really detrimental to the kids when the skates do not fit properly, are not tied right, or too big. This is when they start to learn, and you want it to be enjoyable for them and being comfortable is a big part of that.
I am envious of you guys in PGH, my son would have loved to do that program. Remember to keep it fun!!!

LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Sideline

Only 3 or 4 pieces of equipment really matter at his age: skates, helmet, cup, and arguably a mouth guard. They should be new and fitter to him.

The rest can be safely made of duct tape, scrap wood, and Sears catalogues.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Only 3 or 4 pieces of equipment really matter at his age: skates, helmet, cup, and arguably a mouth guard. They should be new and fitter to him.

The rest can be safely made of duct tape, scrap wood, and Sears catalogues.
Do I have to go to store to try a cup on?

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Do I have to go to store to try a cup on?
Har.

But seriously the jock shorts should fit well; especially if they're also used to hold up the socks.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnyIris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Har.

But seriously the jock shorts should fit well; especially if they're also used to hold up the socks.
I didn't see that or socks on the list they supplied. He'll need those (and the mouthguard) too.

LawnyIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Grave77digger

My kid did this 2 years ago (when he was 4) on the first go around of the pens learn to play. They had a sizing event at Dicks sporting goods and they put him in the smallest skates they had. If there is no sizing event take him to Dicks or any hockey store and tell them upfront it is for the Pens learn to play so they dont think your buying online and using them as a fitting room.

Also my kid is now 6 and playing for the Amature Pens Mite team 2-0-1 record with a short handed breakaway goal in the forst game. I taught him how to cherry pick lol.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
My kid did this 2 years ago (when he was 4) on the first go around of the pens learn to play. They had a sizing event at Dicks sporting goods and they put him in the smallest skates they had. If there is no sizing event take him to Dicks or any hockey store and tell them upfront it is for the Pens learn to play so they dont think your buying online and using them as a fitting room.

Also my kid is now 6 and playing for the Amature Pens Mite team 2-0-1 record with a short handed breakaway goal in the forst game. I taught him how to cherry pick lol.
Yeah I plan on hitting Dicks this weekend at the latest, form is due by the 7th.

Since your participated in the past...what should I be expecting? I am sort of under the impression that since one of the requirements is having never participated in a any training before, that this is going to be pretty basic (at first at least). I've had him skating about 4-5 times total, so he can stand...and sort of move along.

Cherry picking...did you name him Alex?

Old
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Grave77digger

What rink will you be going to? The instructors can be hit or miss. They will split them into different skill levels and teach them the very basics. We followed up the learn to play with some learn to skate classes at neville island since he wasnt quite where he should be to play hockey. As parents there is only so much we can do for them on the ice until you have to start shelling out for proper instruction. My kid wont even listen to me on the ice anymore "Im not practicing, your not the coach!".

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote