Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Thrashers Underground

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
dj4aces

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I don't necessarily come across as a "know it all" so to speak. I just don't really think I'm all that charismatic.

Then again, I'm trying to sell the sport, not season tickets, so I guess it really shouldn't matter.

Honestly, I just want to do whatever it takes to let the population here know there's NHL hockey here, and they're a good team. If screaming it from the Bank of America tower would get people to go see Thrashers hockey, then that's what I'll do.

Going much further than that involves selling stuff, and that involves suits, ties, and spending money we don't have to market a brand we don't own.

Old
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
HockeyWench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMClark View Post
I don't think anyone was inferring that it was easy... and, as noted in a post above, I was pretty well unaware of the fan club when I started this post and just as well unaware of anything it was doing. The website though... it does need help. If I was at all skilled in that way, I'd donate the effort but my website building skills are novice at best.
Oh no I didn't take it that way at all. I am just trying to say that any efforts to doanything to get more folks in is a major task. I personally thought it would be easier but I was dead wrong. We are trying though. Yes the website does need some help. I amtrying to find some time to work on it as well as trying to fit a real web designer into our budget. Fingers crossed. LOL!

Old
11-30-2010, 03:43 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyWench View Post
Sorry but the fan club is putting new fans in the seats. We have members giving away their extra tickets, spending their own cash and using their ticket banks to bring new fans in. We are als currently working on a project to get larger numbers in. Things do not happen overnight and do take time.

One of the biggest hurdles is the cost. Atlanta's economy is still not recovering very fast. Georgia is sitting at a stagnent 9.9% unemployment rate and families are hurting.
Giving away tickets isn't marketing the team, or trying to sell hockey to a bunch of college football fans. I'm with you on everything else, but I'm talking about actually approaching people in the street or at bars, talking to them about the sport, possibly explaining rules and clearing up misconceptions.

This is going a step or two beyond the scope you provided above. It's really nice of STH's to work to get tickets or give away their own, but we need more than that to fill up the barn and get Atlanta excited for hockey.

Old
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I want more promotion of the team than the Fan Club tries to do. It seem obvious to me that no one over in the marketing department really gives a **** about actually marketing the team. Hire people, pay them great salary, and watch as they sit in their offices and do nothing all day.

The fan club has good intentions, but I don't see it working the way it should, if it were to be a promotional arm of the marketing department.

I can see a group of us getting together to watch games and brainstorm marketing ideas. Discuss new ways to get people interested in the sport. That would work well. It's unique, creative, and the organization itself has nothing to lose, should they catch wind of our plans.

People involved with the organization and fan club are everywhere. A lot of folks lurk on the AJC's blog -- particularly Rawhide's blog, where they can get more of a fan's take on things. There are a couple people involved with the fan club that have accounts here, so I'm sure they're lurking about.

Fact is, it doesn't matter to me whether the fan club steals the idea and runs, if the marketing department actually decides to start promoting the team, or if we get together, as Atlantans and Thrashers fans, and start promoting the sport and our team ourselves. What matters is the job gets done, we generate new hockey fans and get more butts in seats.
I think the fan club is doing a great job. Remember all members are volunteers and the board put a lot of work in to generating interest between the fans and the team. The fan club are very open to new members to contribute and join the board each year. More promotion of the team will come in time when the fan club continues to grow and they will have more commited people to lend there spare time to spread the thrasher word.

Dj4aces, you have a lot of good ideas and I suggest that you should join the fan club and ask them how you can get involved. The fan club has already struck up a relationship with the team and senior executives (Don Waddell and Rich Peverley spoke at the latest meeting) and therefore I would suggest that through the fan club would be the best approach to present further marketing ideas to senior management, rather than establishing something different.

Old
11-30-2010, 04:07 PM
dj4aces

I'm down for working together. But no fan club meetings are centrally located. Being that I am "transportationally challenged" so to speak, I can't exactly get to whatever northside venue a gathering is held at. I can't even get home from games, unless I arrange for a ride from another patron at the arena (a couple friends drove me home from the Wings game, for example).

By "central," I mean in town somewhere. By "home," I mean Jonesboro.

Otherwise, I'd love to help.

Old
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Pantherbelle

Quote:
I'm down for working together. But no fan club meetings are centrally located. Being that I am "transportationally challenged" so to speak, I can't exactly get to whatever northside venue a gathering is held at. I can't even get home from games, unless I arrange for a ride from another patron at the arena (a couple friends drove me home from the Wings game, for example).

By "central," I mean in town somewhere. By "home," I mean Jonesboro.

Otherwise, I'd love to help.
Do you come to games? All fan club meetings this year and last were held before games so fans would be more likely to be available. The only thing held on the "northside" have been a couple of viewing parties. This years first viewing party was downtown at Stats a couple of weeks ago.

Old
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
HockeyWench

Quote:
Giving away tickets isn't marketing the team, or trying to sell hockey to a bunch of college football fans. I'm with you on everything else, but I'm talking about actually approaching people in the street or at bars, talking to them about the sport, possibly explaining rules and clearing up misconceptions.

This is going a step or two beyond the scope you provided above. It's really nice of STH's to work to get tickets or give away their own, but we need more than that to fill up the barn and get Atlanta excited for hockey.
Actually giving away tickets is marketing the team if you are giving them to someone who has never experienced the sport. Get them in once and they get hooked. We have gone further than the scope and beyond what you are saying. We have hundreds of fans that are doing everything they can to get the word out. It takes time to get them in, it is not a fast process.

Closed Thread