HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blackhawks Trying to Trade Up for Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Blackhawks Trying to Trade Up for Ovechkin

Great... this way if the Hawks get him, he can be traded along with Ruutu in three or four years when Wirtz is no longer willing to pay them what they're worth. That's even considering a new CBA that would be more favorable towards owners.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=88085&hubName=nhl

Meantime, McPhee says he hasn't "talked to Malkin", which would be irrelevant in this situation because he will gone by the third pick in all liklihood barring something unforseen like an off-season training accident or something.

Shear genius on both sides.

Old
06-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Malefic74

Slow news day in Blackhawkland if this is what they come up with. The Caps management would have to suffer a collective frontal lobotomy to trade that pick for anything the sad-sack Hawks could offer. They have a team to rebuild now too.

Old
06-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Shoalzie

This could be the Hawks chance to move Arnason since he wants out. Deal him and maybe another young player with their pick for the #1.

Old
06-18-2004, 11:00 AM
txpd

McPhee has a standing rule where he doesn't want to comment. He actually has not said that he wants to interview malkin. he said that he has not had a chance to talk to all the players and malkin is the one that was not available. its just his way of ducking all the ovechkin questions. so, dont get your hopes up.

at this point, I think its more likely that the caps will trade their two late first round picks among other assets to chicago to get the 3rd pick. which, by the way, i dont think is likely either.

Old
06-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Seriously... now that I think of it, Ruutu would have to be a part of the deal. I mean, who else could they possibly offer with big potential? Daze's best days might already be behind him with so many back problems, all the other noteables they once had are gone (Amonte, Zhamnov, Sullivan).

Just trying to think of what they could possibly offer (because cash certainly isn't a part of the deal given how cheap Wirtz is and given that the Caps don't want for money, generally).

Ruutu plus Chicago's first round picks in '05 and '06 (the argument being the Hawks might end up bad enough to get a decent shot at Crosby next year)? However you slice it the Hawks don't seem to have much leverage. Not sure how McPhee could possibly see this as a good thing ™ . The odds that the Pens won't pick Malkin at #2 are about 1000:1, so what do they think they'll get that's better than Ovechkin for the near term?

Old
06-18-2004, 11:04 AM
K215215

theyd probably have to include their first next year (another shot at crosby?) and a combination of Arnanson, Babchuk, etc...

still, it would be idiotic to trade away ovechkin

Old
06-18-2004, 11:09 AM
DJ Spinoza

I'd bet Chicago is not the only team "aggressively" trying to trade for the first pick. [no, I'm not referring to the Pens with this comment]

Old
06-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

No, clearly not. I'm sure a number of teams (currently successful and otherwise) are making their offers, but it's hard to imagine a team with less leverage than the Blackhawks at this particular time.

Arnason and an extra shot at Crosby is not a good deal at all IMO. Even Ruutu and an extra shot is not a good deal, and I'm sure the Hawks are loathe to even consider losing Ruutu (which is why I didn't consider it initially). Basically, they have to give up their existing "future franchise" players in order to get a different "future franchise player".

Even when you consider the big hitters making him an offer (say Detroit or Dallas), what are they going to offer that will be markedly better than the guys they just got rid of (Bondra, Jagr, Lang, etc.)? Maybe he's looking south? Atlanta might be a good candidate. They have two young superstars, a good young defensman and a decent shot at finishing in lottery-land next year (read: extra shot at Crosby)...?

Kovulchuk and 2005 first round pick?

Old
06-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy

Kovulchuk and 2005 first round pick?
Not a chance in hell. I can;t wait until next year with Crosby. These boards are going to be crazy!!!

Old
06-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Yah, I agree. I mean all of these scenarios just seem... ridiculous, even when good players are involved. You have to give up to much to get a guy who will probably be a very good goal scorer, but there is still that word "probably"... until we see him actually play over here.

Old
06-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Brett38

I think McPhee is just seeing what the #1 is worth. I don't think he will trade it. On the otherhand, since the Black Hawks have the #3 pick, if Chicago can give the right players plus that #3 pick, that might not be too bad for Washington.

Old
06-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Well considering the consensus is that there are only two players in the draft good enough to step into the NHL right away, #3 doesn't get you nearly as much as it does in deeper draft years.

Old
06-18-2004, 01:11 PM
txpd

correct. just based on what ive read barker will need two full years in junior hockey then at least another year at AHL before he is ready to break in, much less impact. in that time ovechkin could already be an allstar.

Old
06-18-2004, 01:19 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Bell, Seabrook, and #3 for Ovechkin sounds about right.

Old
06-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

It's a good way to hype up what has otherwise probably been a slow-news-generator of a draft. Everybody knows Ovechkin and Malkin are 1-2, which isn't much fun. (Like '98 a bit, Lecavalier/Legwand). The only way to cause a ripple of excitement about the pick is to start some trade rumours.

Anyway, FWIW, if the Hawks are after it...
#3 overall (Caps take Barker) + Yakubov/Vorobiev + Arnason + prospect D (Babchuk/McCarthy/Seabrook)

Maybe the Caps are a bit worried about extracting players from Russia or having a really big superguy after being burned by Jagr. (But really, the Caps probably are just listening to anybody and don't have any motivations at all to move the pick).

Old
06-18-2004, 01:20 PM
vega007

seabrooke and barker with an option for one of the hawks first rounders in 05-06-07

one of them could be crosby

Old
06-18-2004, 01:34 PM
ginner classic

#3 pick, top goalie prospect, option to swap #1 picks in 2005, two second rounders (2nd and 3rd of the four), and one of Yakubov or Vorobiev. I think it will take at least this much.

I can't say it would be a great idea for Chicago to move Seabrooke AND the #3 pick...not from a value standpoint, just depth. I still think the Hawks are best to draft Barker. You need to build from the goal on out so that the team all matures at the same time. Goalies and D take longer. Just think how long it will be before Atlanta is a real threat with very few good prospects on D. It is pretty damn difficult to find players like Barker. And Chicago could have another top 3 pick next year to go after Crosby or Brule. If they want a forward why not draft barker and then offer Columbus Steve McCarthy and two high second rounders for the #4 overall and take one of Ladd, Olesz or Tukonen.

Old
06-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Interesting idea....

Old
06-18-2004, 02:28 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Bell, Seabrook, and #3 for Ovechkin sounds about right.

Old
06-18-2004, 02:30 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner
#3 pick, top goalie prospect, option to swap #1 picks in 2005, two second rounders (2nd and 3rd of the four), and one of Yakubov or Vorobiev. I think it will take at least this much.

I can't say it would be a great idea for Chicago to move Seabrooke AND the #3 pick...not from a value standpoint, just depth. I still think the Hawks are best to draft Barker. You need to build from the goal on out so that the team all matures at the same time. Goalies and D take longer. Just think how long it will be before Atlanta is a real threat with very few good prospects on D. It is pretty damn difficult to find players like Barker. And Chicago could have another top 3 pick next year to go after Crosby or Brule. If they want a forward why not draft barker and then offer Columbus Steve McCarthy and two high second rounders for the #4 overall and take one of Ladd, Olesz or Tukonen.
You can leave out the "top goalie prospect", the Caps have arguably the deepest goalie crop in the league.

Old
06-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Hossafan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
You can leave out the "top goalie prospect", the Caps have arguably the deepest goalie crop in the league.
Yep. I wonder who their starter will be after Kolzig is gone. Probably Oullet or Charpantier, but I'm hoping for Stana.

Old
06-18-2004, 03:03 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossafan018
Yep. I wonder who their starter will be after Kolzig is gone. Probably Oullet or Charpantier, but I'm hoping for Stana.
Stana, the first Slovakian netminder to record a win. I believe the depth chart goes Ouellet, Stana, Daigenault.

Old
06-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

I think it would take 4-5 of the following assets...

#3 overall, Yakubov, Vorobiev, Babchuk, Seabrooke, Bell, Calder, Arnason

And no, not the 4 worst of that bunch, it would have to be ones that WSH really highly coveted. Some of Chicago's 2nd rounders could be involved or substituted for an asset.

In order to pass up Ovechkin the deal would have to be a moster overpayment IMO, a real no-brainer. Doesn't really make much sense for the Hawks to make such an offer.

Old
06-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
seabrooke and barker with an option for one of the hawks first rounders in 05-06-07

one of them could be crosby
Anyone who has the "balls" to trade for a potential Crosby pick deserves credit if they negotiate a good deal for their team. Luck of the draw could end up labelling them forever as the "guy who traded the Crosby pick" and the guy who gambled would be remembered as the "genius".

Old
06-18-2004, 03:57 PM
FanaticalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
McPhee has a standing rule where he doesn't want to comment. He actually has not said that he wants to interview malkin. he said that he has not had a chance to talk to all the players and malkin is the one that was not available. its just his way of ducking all the ovechkin questions. so, dont get your hopes up.

at this point, I think its more likely that the caps will trade their two late first round picks among other assets to chicago to get the 3rd pick. which, by the way, i dont think is likely either.
I don't know about any standing rule, but GM's quote "McPhee says the fact he hasn't interviewed Malkin is one of the reasons why he won't commit to making Ovechkin the top pick." is what a lot of people are trying to read.

http://www.nhl.com/futures/needs/penguins.html

Closed Thread