HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

I would take Landeskog 1st overall...

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2010, 03:26 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 500
I would take Landeskog 1st overall...

For as much hype as Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins and Couturier get, if I were building my team I would be taking Landeskog 1st overall.

Back in 09 I thought this kid had great potential and now he is getting recognition.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=673781

Hard to pass up a guy that plays in a similar fashion as a Mike Richards, Brendan Morrow etc. A hard working, two way player that plays the game fierce and physical and above most is an excellent leader on and off the ice.

He would be my #1 pick.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
ohlguy

I also agree, many scouts tend to go with the flavour of the month, where I look at a player that will play a complete game and not just one dimentional. Landeskog is a perfect example of what a complete player brings to the table. At the next level these are the players that will make an easier transition to the pro ranks.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Me too, but he is not a Stamkos, Hall or Tavaras in my book.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

If he can keep up his play for the remainder of the season, he's definitely a candidate.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Metalownall

I think a lot will depend on the team's short and mid-term need.. but we have 4 very good players coming out of the next draft with him, RNH, SC and Larsson

Old
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I love the kid, but defense is most important and Larsson has all the tools that you want in a franchise defenseman. Yea he might be in a bit of slump but he is working on his defensive game as opposed to just being a one dimensional defenseman.

After Larsson I would probably take RNH next, then Landeskog, and Couturier would fall to 4th. At 5th I would take Murphy, probably, but I also do have a bit of a man crush on Puempel, Ambroz, and Saad, so I might take one of the wingers over Murphy.

But as it plays out right now, Landeskog is the 3rd best player available in this draft, for me.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:17 PM
toquerasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Rangers season ticket holder here. I agree, Landeskog can be a difference maker in the NHL but he doesn't have as much pure skill and raw offensive ability as I've heard Couturier or RNH do.

Who knows though, wouldn't shock me.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Larsson.

/Thread.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:21 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
For as much hype as Larsson, Nugent-Hopkins and Couturier get, if I were building my team I would be taking Landeskog 1st overall.

Back in 09 I thought this kid had great potential and now he is getting recognition.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=673781

Hard to pass up a guy that plays in a similar fashion as a Mike Richards, Brendan Morrow etc. A hard working, two way player that plays the game fierce and physical and above most is an excellent leader on and off the ice.

He would be my #1 pick.
He is really creeping up to the top, isn't he?

As much as I like him, it's gonna be extremely hard for teams to pass over Couturier, Larsson, and RNH to take him. The guy's an NHL star waiting to happen, though, no doubt.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
For someone who watches RNH and Coutourier more than I do could they enlighten me what they have that Landeskog doesnt? I've only seen a few CHL games this year but in those games RNH and Couturier didnt impress me at all while Landeskog impressed me alot when I've seen him (granted those have been games where he scored a hat trick and another where he had 4 pts haha)

Old
12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
For someone who watches RNH and Coutourier more than I do could they enlighten me what they have that Landeskog doesnt? I've only seen a few CHL games this year but in those games RNH and Couturier didnt impress me at all while Landeskog impressed me alot when I've seen him (granted those have been games where he scored a hat trick and another where he had 4 pts haha)
I will only comment on RNH as I have seen him about 12 times the last 2 years. I think he has a much higher offence ceiling then Landeskog but the other aspects are not as good as Landeskog.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

nice, i definitely want to use my 1st overall pick to build around a brendan morrow

Old
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Both have more high end offensive skill and flash. I prefer Landeskog's game. He's not going to score 120 points, but he can likely get Richards type production and he might be the meanest sonuva***** in the top 10.

Old
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Fighter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
nice, i definitely want to use my 1st overall pick to build around a brendan morrow
That's the exact same thing I thought as soon as I read the first post. A potential Brendan Morrow vs a potentian Nik Lidstrom. Sure I'd take the first!

Old
12-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Corey Pronman

You can find toughness, as well as leadership and all that intangible crap with lesser assets than a first overall pick. With a #1 you go after the qualities that are scarce in the market such as projectable high-end scoring ability.

Landeskog is a fine prospect, and is going to go high but #1? Come on, you only get so many #1 picks in a century, teams shouldn't blow it on a guy who projects as an average first liner player (my opinion, I realize how debatable it is) scoring-wise, who can aid in maintaining positive shot flow with above-average physical play. Those are great things to have, but not the greatest assets from this draft crop.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I'd definitely agree with this, although he might be able to impact a team more than Taylor Hall (just imo). He seems like a great leadership prospect and could be a captain in the NHL. I guess he won't hit the scoreboard as much as these guys but his overall play could make up for it.

He could be the swedish Bobby Clarke. That's worth a 1st overall in my books (depending on who else is there).

Larsson should still be the #1 though. Landeskog is right there with RNH and Couturier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post

If he can keep up his play for the remainder of the season, he's definitely a candidate.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Offensive upside would pretty much sum it up, imo. While Landeskog is no slouch offensively, RNH and Couturier have elite level offensive skills. RNH is a bit more flashy than Couturier, but neither kid is overly flashy, just damn efficient all over the rink.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter View Post
That's the exact same thing I thought as soon as I read the first post. A potential Brendan Morrow vs a potentian Nik Lidstrom. Sure I'd take the first!
He reminds me a LOT of Andrew Ladd, one of those guys who you need in the playoffs but not really all-world.

I don't have him ranked #1. I do have him pretty high and I wouldn't mind the Thrashers taking him if possible, we already have a big swedish contingent on the team.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
He reminds me a LOT of Andrew Ladd, one of those guys who you need in the playoffs but not really all-world.

I don't have him ranked #1. I do have him pretty high and I wouldn't mind the Thrashers taking him if possible, we already have a big swedish contingent on the team.
That's a pretty good comparison, actually. From a Swedish perspective, he could be considered Forsberg-like, although I'm not convinced his offensive upside is to the par of Forsberg.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
That's a pretty good comparison, actually. From a Swedish perspective, he could be considered Forsberg-like, although I'm not convinced his offensive upside is to the par of Forsberg.
Not close.

I honestly believe a Mike Richards comparison is the best. Wont blow you away offensively but will put up consistently 65-80 points every year and be a juggernaut defensively and physically. Is it a guy I would pick first overall? Probably not. Especially with the other "top 3" players in the mix.

Larsson is going to be a franchise dman who will consistently put up 50-60 points while playing in all situations.

RNH i feel is better than Couturier and will be more looked upon as the leader on his team (whoever that team may be), but Couturier will be the best point getter of the two. And thats not taking anything away from RNH who will likely only fall behind in scoring by 10-15 points to Couturier.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:48 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Not close.

I honestly believe a Mike Richards comparison is the best. Wont blow you away offensively but will put up consistently 65-80 points every year and be a juggernaut defensively and physically. Is it a guy I would pick first overall? Probably not. Especially with the other "top 3" players in the mix.

Larsson is going to be a franchise dman who will consistently put up 50-60 points while playing in all situations.

RNH i feel is better than Couturier and will be more looked upon as the leader on his team (whoever that team may be), but Couturier will be the best point getter of the two. And thats not taking anything away from RNH who will likely only fall behind in scoring by 10-15 points to Couturier.
Interesting take, thanks.

So you think he's better than Ladd, closer to Richards?

Old
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
joe89

World juniors will be pretty interesting don't you think? If his offensive abilities are slightly limited, like a Jordan Staal or something I wouldn't do it even if he is surefire to translate to NHL as an impact player. If it's more like Mike Richards than we're talking, but I can only read what you guys write as I don't see him ever play.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Interesting take, thanks.

So you think he's better than Ladd, closer to Richards?
He will be more successful than Ladd, and a tad less successful than Richards, but in Landeskog's best season, I think people can look at him as "on par" with Richards, but that will only be for one or two seasons.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
World juniors will be pretty interesting don't you think? If his offensive abilities are slightly limited, like a Jordan Staal or something I wouldn't do it even if he is surefire to translate to NHL as an impact player. If it's more like Mike Richards than we're talking, but I can only read what you guys write as I don't see him ever play.
But some team is gonna be damn happy that he fell into its lap at 4 or 5, though. Hopefully, it's not the Flamers.

Old
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
He will be more successful than Ladd, and a tad less successful than Richards, but in Landeskog's best season, I think people can look at him as "on par" with Richards, but that will only be for one or two seasons.
I see you know exactly how things will turn out

Closed Thread