HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help New Stick Choice Issue !

Old
12-09-2010, 09:14 PM
quam12

vCash: 500
Help New Stick Choice Issue !

Hey guys I was hoping for some advice I am about to purchase a Sherwood RM9 Senior as my first OPS.

The issue I am having is that I am trying to decide between ordering the 85 or 95 flex the problem is that I play with a stick that is 59 inches in length as im 5ft 6 inches in height.

My thinking was if I am most likely going to have to cut at least 3 or 4 inches of the new stick this is going to increase the flex rating and ideally i would like something around the 90-100 range in flex as I play defense and take mostly slapshots so the 85 flex would be the best bet however I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback as I'm kinda getting a bit stressed

quam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
blueberrydanish

Sounds like you need an intermediate stick. Use the search for "intermediate stick" or somethin along those lines and youll find plenty of info.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:34 PM
quam12

thanks but an intermediate isn't really an option as the flex rating doesnt go high enough for what im looking for.

thanks for the advice though

Old
12-09-2010, 09:40 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by quam12 View Post
thanks but an intermediate isn't really an option as the flex rating doesnt go high enough for what im looking for.

thanks for the advice though
Ya true, but you may be one of those people that seems to be on the line that gets screwed. If you are saying you are ok with a flex in the 90s, then go for it. I would say at your size its going to maybe be a bit harder for you to really get behind your shot with a higher flex, but I am a kinda lower flex guy anyways my self so for personal preference I go with a 87 flex at 175lbs ish~ and I take plenty of slappers/wristers and play D and my stick has held up for a good bit now. My last 77 flex lasted about 7 months. They weren't Sherwood sticks though.

Even just looked at my old 77 flex(lowest senior flex really out there) and if cut down to 56" its marked over 90 flex.

Last edited by blueberrydanish: 12-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old
12-09-2010, 10:25 PM
quam12

Cheers man I'm around 190lbs and have been using pretty stiff flexes for all the time ive been playing really and dont have any issues getting power from my shots I'm only looking to cut the stick down to around 59-60inches but I might have a look at the 75 flex now if your saying cutting it to that is gonna change the flex rating so much.

Cheers

Old
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by quam12 View Post
Cheers man I'm around 190lbs and have been using pretty stiff flexes for all the time ive been playing really and dont have any issues getting power from my shots I'm only looking to cut the stick down to around 59-60inches but I might have a look at the 75 flex now if your saying cutting it to that is gonna change the flex rating so much.

Cheers
Ah ya at 190 youll be able to get behind it fine