HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Synthetic Ice!!!NEED OPINIONS!!!

Old
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM
thedoc1019

vCash: 500
Synthetic Ice!!!NEED OPINIONS!!!

Hey guys, I have some money saved up and I am sick of driving an hour to the nearest rink to get an hour ice time.I see this synthetic ice stuff and my eyes open!!I live in FL by the way.Has anyone ever used this stuff and I heard it dulls the blades real quick, one session on it and your blade is gone.Is this true???I want to start training for college, I got three years and I know I need improvement.

Thanks,
Corey

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Baggy Spandex
The Nightman Cometh

I've never played on synthetic before, but i would advise to drive however far it is to use the real deal. No sense in practicing on something other that what you'll be playing on, no?

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:40 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
No sense in practicing on something other that what you'll be playing on, no?
They do say you have to give extra effort to do everything, so I would think the resistance would be a plus in many ways.

thedoc1019, I would try to find people who have used it to get proper answers. I looked into synthetic ice not too long ago and 95% of the comments on it online are hearsay, and not from actual first hand experience.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:24 AM
shoeshine boy

I have a friend who has more money than God and he has a synthetic rink in his back yard. it's not full sized. I'd say it's about as big as a standard neutral zone.
it does take a little more effort to skate across it but the one great thing it does is that it really forces you to use proper technique while skating. imo skating backwards is next to impossible.
my friend spent probably $25,000 on his set-up and he says the routine maintenance is a pain in the ass. for him it's worth it because of the skills his kids are getting.
personally, I can think of a lot better things to spend 25K on, especially when you consider that unloading the rink after you no longer need it will be impossible.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:25 AM
blueberrydanish

if you are trying to make more than just a small shooting area that you can stand on your skates with, its gonna get ****ing expensive. Sure handful of the tiles wont hurt ya too much though, but if you want enough to skate around on.....thatll be rough.

Last edited by Bear of Bad News: 12-09-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: filter circumvention
blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
thedoc1019

I'm looking at an 18"9' x 15" deal and the makers are EZ-Glide.They told me it won't dull my blades much faster than refrigerated ice and they say for the maintenance, all I have to do is apply the Enhancer once and a while it keep it free of debris.

shoeshine boy, do you know who the maker/provider is of your friends rink?

Old
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Seanconn*

i think it's more for people who are getting on the ice like 8 hours a wake to begin with, and just need to practice as much as possible. your best to just rent ice time, or go to public skates.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
thedoc1019

I get on the ice once a week for 2 hours and I play house B...I need to practice as much as I can if I want to play in college, when I watch them playing in college, I see what I need to improve on and I wish I can get to my rink more often but a trip to the rink for me is $20 in gas everytime and then add $10 or $12 for the open hockey. Even if I went once a week to that and went to my league once as well that would be $60 a week.I'd be spending $240 a month and that still isn't enough ice time.

That is why I'm looking into synthetic ice

Old
12-09-2010, 08:21 AM
pelts35.com

I am looking into this for my basement and got a price for KwikRink.

An area 8’ x 12’ would cost $840.00 plus freight

www.kwikrink.com

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
bdbowti

Check with these guys as well
http://www.homeicesupplies.com/

I have been looking at doing an outdoor rink and they are one of the better priced companies.

Check these guys out as well

http://globalsyntheticice.com/GSIHomeSyntheticIce.aspx

They are one of the more expensive companies out there but they are based in Florida. May be worth it to you to go skate on it before you make any decisions

bdbowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:51 AM
HockeyAl

I don't think that synthetic ice is supposed to replace real ice, I think it's meant more for a training tool and to train with skates on as opposed to in your shoes. If it provides a little more resistance than I think that will help in the long run. I know synthetic ice has come a long way in the past few years.

I've heard a lot about IcePro in the past couple years, I would check them out if you're looking for quality ice.

I think you get what you pay for when it comes to synthetic ice, so do some research on various companies and ask lots of questions!

HockeyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:53 AM
HockeyAl

I think synthetic ice is your answer, even a small surface. All the money you will spend on renting ice or driving back and forth to these places, you can buy the ice. If you go with a good company, it should last you upwards of 15 years or more. Public skates aren't the answer, you can't use a stick and you have to skate at a slow pace..it really won't help you improve. Check out IcePro, i've been on their ice before, it's as close as you're going to get to real ice!

HockeyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 04:37 PM
thedoc1019

thanks for your opinion hockey al

I've talked to EZ-Glide, HomeIceSupplies, and Super Glide so far, HomeIce has the best deal but they are new to the business of synthetic ice so I'm fishy on buying from them.EZ-Glide is what I'm leaning towards but I will check out IcePro, never heard of this one and I'm happy to your opinion which helps me a lot on my decision

Old
12-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Skraut

Interesting article on Synthetic Ice in yesterday's New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/sp....html?_r=1&hpw

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc1019 View Post
I'm looking at an 18"9' x 15" deal and the makers are EZ-Glide.They told me it won't dull my blades much faster than refrigerated ice and they say for the maintenance, all I have to do is apply the Enhancer once and a while it keep it free of debris.

shoeshine boy, do you know who the maker/provider is of your friends rink?
sorry, no. I know he got a "deal" on it from someone in the Northeast like Boston or Maine. his is elevated off the ground and he uses plastic construction barriers for his "boards". he also has a little resurfacer and when you first go onto the rink you do better if you put a little bit of an oil-like substance on your blades. after about 5 or 6 scooter pushes you get a good glide going.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Seanconn*

IMO, they should put synthetic ice on at least 2 Outdoor rinks in each Canadian city, like Regina or Saskatoon.

minimum 3-4 in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton. 5+ in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver.

any other cities doing this at all? It would seem simple enough to put plastic over it or nothing at all when you flood it in the winter.

probably a risk/liability issue preventing this being more common... but kind of a bad reason if its okay to play unsupervised in the winter.

wearing shorts or something stupid like that could cause problems with blades, but all easy things to prevent by not being stupid.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
thedoc1019

Alright, I have contacted everyone and I got some thinking to do...Thanks for you replies and opinion, they were much help

Old
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
cazbeck

Doc - I am in the same situation looking at a home rink. How is yours turning out? What direction did you end up going for panels?

cazbeck is offline   Reply With Quote