HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2010-11 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2010, 07:15 AM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2010-11 Season Thread (Part 2)

The first version was at its limit. Please continue here.

12-02-2010, 07:22 AM
hockeylegend11

spitfires cant trade clarke until aug/11 because he is 16 and was drafted in

the 2nd rd

Old
12-02-2010, 09:11 AM
jughead42

I dont think that book is the one Patrick King was talking about. His book is about following the Spitfires behind the scenes for the memorial cup run I believe. This book looks lame by comparison, especially since Duff is one of the writers. That guy is a clown and a half and I'll not spend a penny on anything he has something to do with, I'm going to wait for King's book. I sent Patrick a message a month or so ago asking him about his book and he said it wasn't a finished product yet. I'm sure he'll mention when it will be available.

Old
12-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Ottomatic

The wall of captains looks cheap as hell. I expected much more than five "era" plaques with the names written on them and a banner that looks like it was printed off of an old dot matrix printer.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
OHLTG

Otto, when did you see it? Were you at the presser?

I like the concept of the WoC. It's great to be able to go back in history and look at what our team has done. What I don't like is that it's downstairs where inaccessible to fans. Have it on the main concourse so fans can easily walk up during a game and look.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
SpItFiReZ

I thought about us rebuilding when we traded Shugg and Cantin to Missy but same time, we wouldn't have Ebert if we didn't do that deal. Cantin/Shugg is someone I would love to have back here in Windsor but same time Ebert is and will be more important to the team. He is already our 2nd best dman by far, and a huge piece to flip when we are in a reload (due to his draft yr)

Either way, I trust Rychel in what he's doing but same time, you can't ignore the fact of possibly winning three in a row, especially since the West is so wide open this year and all you need to do is win the West finals.

The wall of captains is a cool concept. Wish it would of been a bit more than plaques.

Also, can't wait for Patrick King's book to come out. I will still likely buy the the book by Duff tonight though.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Otto, when did you see it? Were you at the presser?

I like the concept of the WoC. It's great to be able to go back in history and look at what our team has done. What I don't like is that it's downstairs where inaccessible to fans. Have it on the main concourse so fans can easily walk up during a game and look.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
OHLTG

Nice concept, poor location.

Old
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
voltigeur

No doubt, WR is selling. The Kerby debacle and selling Catin and Shugg pretty much sealed that. Could the Spits be a spoiler this year (and make history)? Yes. But so could Kitchener and a number of different teams since all they have to do is get out of the west. But the Attack and Spirit look to be a major hurdle and it sounds like WR is hellbent on building another future dynasty. Look for Kassian/Ellis to be traded for a boatload of picks as many of WR's competitors will also be peaking in the next year or two, but have more picks stockpiled in their cupboards. Ryan/Campbell are available as well if the price is right. So sounds to me more like a total rebuild than a retooling. Am hearing WR is giving Barber from the ushl a hard sell in order to raise his NHL stock and also going after Pietila from the usa program just like the Gens are doing with Biggs. WR is also interested in Sarnia's young goalie, but that kid can't be traded until next year and not sure they'd part with him as they seem to be in a rebuild of their own. Binnington is another goalie of interest which would be available this year, but an improbable acquision with the recent injury to Stajcer. One thing about WR, it's all business. The misconception of catering to the usa kids is BS, just ask Watson, who I might add might be returning to the states sooner than later. My favourite time of the year with all the rumours and speculation, lol.

Old
12-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Ottomatic

^Saginaw is after Watson. And just because Watson was traded doesn't mean WR would be willing to trade away any American player. If you give an American the hard sell to get them to come to Windsor, giving up a very lucrative NCAA scholarship package, you don't start dealing them away.

If Campbell is available like you say he is, and WR likes Binnington so much, why not just swap Campbell to Owen Sound in a deal involving Binnington?

Old
12-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltigeur View Post
No doubt, WR is selling. The Kerby debacle and selling Catin and Shugg pretty much sealed that. Could the Spits be a spoiler this year (and make history)? Yes. But so could Kitchener and a number of different teams since all they have to do is get out of the west. But the Attack and Spirit look to be a major hurdle and it sounds like WR is hellbent on building another future dynasty. Look for Kassian/Ellis to be traded for a boatload of picks as many of WR's competitors will also be peaking in the next year or two, but have more picks stockpiled in their cupboards. Ryan/Campbell are available as well if the price is right. So sounds to me more like a total rebuild than a retooling. Am hearing WR is giving Barber from the ushl a hard sell in order to raise his NHL stock and also going after Pietila from the usa program just like the Gens are doing with Biggs. WR is also interested in Sarnia's young goalie, but that kid can't be traded until next year and not sure they'd part with him as they seem to be in a rebuild of their own. Binnington is another goalie of interest which would be available this year, but an improbable acquision with the recent injury to Stajcer. One thing about WR, it's all business. The misconception of catering to the usa kids is BS, just ask Watson, who I might add might be returning to the states sooner than later. My favourite time of the year with all the rumours and speculation, lol.
Actually Warren did right by Watson last year. No one said that he can't trade the American prospects. Watson had a NTC and Rychel approached the family, spelt out the situation, and they agreed to go to Peterborough. To me, that would be considered "catering to".

Old
12-02-2010, 07:21 PM
voltigeur

Stay tuned, rumours are amuck all over town. Am simply saying numerous insiders are claiming WR has all assets on the table for the right price, to prepare for his rebuilding of the Spits dynasty. "The right price" is what might keep those assets right where they are, who knows. I tend to think acquiring another piece or two could allow the Spits to reclaim the west once again, but it sounds like WR is wanting to restock his draft cupboard and focus on the future.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:34 PM
scokan

just to try something different tonight i decided to do something ive never done before .. I decided to track Ryan Ellis' ice time!
and to know suprise the numbers are pretty staggering..
1st period - 10 shifts for 13:06
2nd period - 7 shifts for 13:33
3rd period - 10 shifts for 14:31
total ice = 41:10
of note he had 1 shift in the second period that lasted 5:18 - YES thats 1 shift lasting 5:18..... mind he was in the middle of a shift and niagara took a penalty, than at the end of that penalty they took another so he was out there for 4min PP.. also of note he had 15 shifts in the game of 1:30 or longer..
reviews after tonights game, I thought they showed some guts coming back from the 3-1 deficit against a good niagara team. That one goal in the first from behind the net turned out to be the difference.. It seems as though when the Spits want to play, they want to play. At parts during the game they were all over them with chances left and right, they just couldnt bury them. At other times during the game they looked sluggish and seemed like they had no idea they were in a game.

Old
12-02-2010, 10:54 PM
hockeylegend11

from what im hearing it was ellis who invoked his ntc in a deal

with saginaw

not kassian

Old
12-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Ottomatic

Ellis wants to go to Mississauga.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Ellis wants to go to Mississauga.
Makes sense.

Stuart Percy, Kerby Rychel, and picks.

Plus any other american flyers we may not know about that Rychel could have his eye on.

To be honest Rychel is not the high end forward we all would be hoping for. ala Ryan Strome. We all saw what he could do tonight at just 17 years old.

But if Ellis asks to be moved to Missy then so be it. Rychel I think will have zero issues with it. Number one he wants his son and number two its Ryan Ellis. Why wouldn't we move him to where he wants to go.

With all that we still could move Kassian to Saginaw or Owen Sound for Kea or Maidens.

BTW anyone know when Jim Parker and Bob Duff will at the Franchise this coming Tuesday?

Last edited by LeafsFan18: 12-03-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old
12-03-2010, 12:37 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Stuart Percy, Kerby Rychel, and picks.
That actually makes perfect sense given I've heard Kerby sooner, rather than later.

Quote:
With all that we still could move Kassian to Saginaw or Owen Sound for Kea or Maidens.
Kassian to Sag alone would make me ask for Camara or Kea and Lepkowski.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:15 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
I agree, I would just use Kea or Maidens as the main starting point to any deal.

Old
12-03-2010, 03:46 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

This is the current standings in the West:

Rank Western Conference GP - PTS
1 Saginaw Spirit 28 - 42
2 Owen Sound Attack 26 - 36
3 Kitchener Rangers 24 - 35
4 Windsor Spitfires 27 - 31
5 London Knights 26 - 29
6 Plymouth Whalers 25 - 28
7 Erie Otters 28 - 27
8 Sarnia Sting 26 - 26
9 Guelph Storm 25 - 24
10 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds 27 - 24

Only seven point separate SSM and WSR. That is an extremely tight race in the conference.

If there are the trades of Kassian and Ellis and possibly any of either Campbell, Ryan, Passingham, Johnston and Kuhnhackl will this team even be able to make it into the playoffs?

The Spitfires would be left with Campbell, Ryan, Johnston, Locke, Kuhnhackl and Khokhlachev.
Plus any younger players we acquire through the trades.

In my opinion that group would not fare well going up against most teams as they stand right now. With what seems like inevitable trades for the Ellis and Kassian, the Spitfires will not be left with much to compete. Rychel has to recognize this and no longer think of this as “retooling”. It has to be a complete rebuild. Rychel has to do this the right way. The competiveness in the West right now will not slow down. With Mississauga the heavy favourite to win the East, all the teams in the West have to do is win three rounds to get to the Memorial Cup.

Rychel needs to go into an all out sell mode at this point. If he can’t get the right value back for guys like Ryan or Campbell than keep them, but if an offer is there he must take it.

I say no way Windsor has a strong enough roster without Kassian and Ellis to make it to the playoffs. If Rychel waits till after Dec 11 I think he will see this, if he hasn’t already.

Old
12-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Libbs

I think WR knows exactly what the situation is here and his options. In Rychel I trust!

As for last nights game...that should prove that we are in no position to be serious contenders. The defense is just poor. There are just too many holes. If we miss the playoffs, so be it. That would gove us a top 4 pick this summer. Kitchener missed the playoffs 2 years ago, drafted Ryan Murphy and look to be in serious contention this year. Sometimes it benefits dropping the bottom and build your way back up.

They want to be like London and be contenders every year and retool rather than rebuild... well last time I checked London has 1 Memorial Cup and just kind of hang around.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:30 AM
scokan

dont know how true it is but overheard that Ebert was sitting out for not doing well in school

Old
12-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
That actually makes perfect sense given I've heard Kerby sooner, rather than later.

I like Maidens rather than Kea or Camara. OS has to go for it this year whereas Saginaw wants to acquire a two year player to keep them strong next year if everybody returns (Saad, Shalla, Szwarz etc). They were really close to acquiring Watson last weekend, and are still working in that direction. Given that the price for Kassian vs Watson would pretty much be the same, it makes sense for Saginaw to go after Watson.

OS on the other hand will have key '91's graduating - Garrett Wilson, Joey Hishon, Jesse Blacker - are currently three of their top four scorers. As well as losing OA's Heelis, Mignardi and Stanisz which are also top nine in team scoring, so altogether they'll be losing 6 of their top nine scorers after this season. This is their year, so they don't have to worry as much about acquiring a two year player, but just to get the best "now" player.

I think the reason for wanting a play-off team is more about money. Even just one round in the play-offs, just two home games has to be a good haul for ownership. 6000 x $20 seats is $120K x two home games would be $240K. Now I don't know how much of that would be actually theirs, but that's also not taking into account advertising, merchandising and concession spending either by the fans in attendance.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
dont know how true it is but overheard that Ebert was sitting out for not doing well in school
I was wondering where he was last night. Hopefully he was just sick or has a minor injury.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
I was wondering where he was last night. Hopefully he was just sick or has a minor injury.
It was reported as discipline for an off-ice issue. If I was 16 yr old kid who's being told he could be playing in the NHL in two years with a million dollar multi-year contract, I think I'd focus a helluva lot more on my hockey than anything else.

He should understand that teams look at more than just on-ice performance when dealing with top picks. Kassian and Ellis both went through the high pick wringer, maybe have Fowler and Hall call him up to give Nick a window into how important non-hockey issues are with teams when they're going to be giving you a multi-year multi-million dollar contract to a 18yr old kid. Having good marks in school goes a long way with teams in this process.

Maybe he's just having trouble in math class because the teacher is talking in meters, and kilometers and science class because everything is in degrees Celsius.

Also isn't Nick living with the Rychels?

Last edited by Ottomatic: 12-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old
12-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitsFan18 View Post
This is the current standings in the West:

Rank Western Conference GP - PTS
1 Saginaw Spirit 28 - 42
2 Owen Sound Attack 26 - 36
3 Kitchener Rangers 24 - 35
4 Windsor Spitfires 27 - 31
5 London Knights 26 - 29
6 Plymouth Whalers 25 - 28
7 Erie Otters 28 - 27
8 Sarnia Sting 26 - 26
9 Guelph Storm 25 - 24
10 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds 27 - 24

Only seven point separate SSM and WSR. That is an extremely tight race in the conference.

If there are the trades of Kassian and Ellis and possibly any of either Campbell, Ryan, Passingham, Johnston and Kuhnhackl will this team even be able to make it into the playoffs?

The Spitfires would be left with Campbell, Ryan, Johnston, Locke, Kuhnhackl and Khokhlachev.
Plus any younger players we acquire through the trades.

In my opinion that group would not fare well going up against most teams as they stand right now. With what seems like inevitable trades for the Ellis and Kassian, the Spitfires will not be left with much to compete. Rychel has to recognize this and no longer think of this as “retooling”. It has to be a complete rebuild. Rychel has to do this the right way. The competiveness in the West right now will not slow down. With Mississauga the heavy favourite to win the East, all the teams in the West have to do is win three rounds to get to the Memorial Cup.

Rychel needs to go into an all out sell mode at this point. If he can’t get the right value back for guys like Ryan or Campbell than keep them, but if an offer is there he must take it.

I say no way Windsor has a strong enough roster without Kassian and Ellis to make it to the playoffs. If Rychel waits till after Dec 11 I think he will see this, if he hasn’t already.
This has been my take ever since it was known Fowler wouldn't be returning. And I'm all for it. Even if they make the playoffs they will just lose in the first round.

Draft wise, the difference between finishing 6-8th in the West and finishing 9th or
10th is huge because the bottom 5 teams in the East are worse than all of the teams in the West. If they finish 9th or 10th, they're guaranteed a top 4 pick. If they finish 7th or 8th, they would be picking around 8 or 9. It could be the difference from getting an elite player or getting just a good player.

Closed Thread