Notices

Tim Thomas: 2nd best career save percentage in NHL history

Old
12-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
nice but only 3 of the current top 15 are no longer active. I think that says something about how the game/ pads have changed.
Equally sound logic would be that goaltenders are getting better.

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronuss View Post
Equally sound logic would be that goaltenders are getting better.
Maybe it's the Yoga or the composite sticks breaking and sending dribblers on net.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
KillerKampfer*

He is playing well when hes on Hasek is who he looks like.

Who cares about the regular season in the NHL though, in terms of the PLAYOFFS mentioning Tim THomas in the same breath as Hasek is blasphemy.

Seriously if you want to talk about the playoffs to compare TT to Hasek is an absolute joke, he got badly outplayed by Price in 08 and in 09 Cam Ward was 10x better.

Rasks sv % is higher. That said I dont know if Tuukka makes all those saves last night thats one of TTs good games where I havent thought Rask would have played just as well. Poor Rask might have 2 or 3 years of building up some mental fortitude only playing 30 games a year, fine with me if the coach has a quick trigger finger on TT in the playoffs.

This isnt raining on his parade TT has been great but I dont give a damn what stat you have for me if TT is the starting goalie in the playoffs and he gets outplayed by Lundquivst or Cam Ward and we go out playing him over Rask was a mistake even if he gets himself a Vezina. I want to see this kind of performance it in the playoffs before I build him a statue.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STURMnRYDA2PROV View Post

Who cares about the regular season in the NHL though, in terms of the PLAYOFFS mentioning Tim THomas in the same breath as Hasek is blasphemy.

Seriously if you want to talk about the playoffs to compare TT to Hasek is an absolute joke, he got badly outplayed by Price in 08 and in 09 Cam Ward was 10x better.

Rasks sv % is higher. That said I dont know if Tuukka makes all those saves last night thats one of TTs good games where I havent thought Rask would have played just as well. Poor Rask might have 2 or 3 years of building up some mental fortitude only playing 30 games a year, fine with me if the coach has a quick trigger finger on TT in the playoffs.

This isnt raining on his parade TT has been great but I dont give a damn what stat you have for me if TT is the starting goalie in the playoffs and he gets outplayed by Lundquivst or Cam Ward and we go out playing him over Rask was a mistake even if he gets himself a Vezina. I want to see this kind of performance it in the playoffs before I build him a statue.
Don't forget this team gets regularly outplayed in the playoffs also.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:26 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

Outplayed by Ward? You do know Thomas had the best save % to that point out of all goalies in the playoffs right? Thomas wasn't the reason we lost that series, Thomas was the reason it even got to a game 7.
Same with the Habs. We had no business taking them to 7 games.. Hell, we had no business getting into the playoffs PERIOD. Guess who kept us in it to get into the playoffs and get to game 7? I'll give you a hint, it ryhmes with Kim Famas.

Your whole post is completely.. well... wrong. /shrug

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:

You want stats? Here's some stats to go along with that rum and coke you're having at 3PM.

2008-2009 Playoffs, second round.

Cam Ward: 7 Games /.904 SP / 200 shots faced

Tim Thomas: 7 games /.934 SP / 213 shots faced.

Who outplayed who again?

Career playoff numbers

Thomas: .926 SP / 2.16 GAA

Hasek: .928 SP / 2.00 GAA

Hasek obviously has a larger sample size, but that's no fault of Thomas'. He's been stellar in the playoffs.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Thomas will retire as one of if not THE best Bruins goaltender in history. The man does not get enough respect from his own fanbase.

and SHAME on those fans (?)

12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Bruins 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbaz77 View Post
Save % has zero to do with the team the goalie plays on...it's the number of saves compared to the number of shots.

The guy is fantastic
Oh it has a lot to do with the team a goalie plays on and their style of play.

Bruins 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
kytem2

A common refrain when commentators speak about the Bruins is that 'they keep everything to the outside'.

I did not see much evidence of that last night.

kytem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins 54 View Post
Its a meaningless stat when you take into account the era they play in and the length of time they have played. Plus the teams they have played on, Thomas has had the luck of playing on a very defensive minded team in his short career.
Just like laST NIGHT?? What a load of crap!

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Bruins 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
Just like laST NIGHT?? What a load of crap!
This is about career save percentage, not one game, and if you haven't noticed Jullien is a very defensive minded coach , no one is going to argue that ..

Bruins 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
C77

I think he upped his .955 save percentage tonight.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:59 PM
POPNDOUGH

Quote:
Oh it has a lot to do with the team a goalie plays on and their style of play.
Yup, and the B's defensive style lends itself to getting stuck in their own end, and giving up shot after shot. Keeping the puck in the other teams end can be an even better form of defense that I wish the B's would use more often.

I've brought this stat(his career save% was only .918 at the time) up many times when talking about how good Thomas is, and for some reason some people never seem to be appropriately impressed, and make up excuses because he can't possibly be that good. It's not the defense that makes lightning fast kick saves, or moves from post to post to rob Kovalchuk, or fights off Hartnell in the crease to catch a Pronger slapshot tipped by Carter in the slot, it's Thomas. He's really good. He was good overseas before he came to the B's, and only got better when he got here when he took up yoga, and worked on his positioning with the goalies coach.

He is the quickest goalie I have ever seen, can track the puck with the best of them, and never quits. I'm glad he's a Bruin, and I hope he stays one until he retires. The only thing left for him to do is win the cup...

POPNDOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Frankie Spankie

Yeah but he still sucks.

</response of every non-Bruins fan on HFBoards>

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:09 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I think he upped his .955 save percentage tonight.
.956 after tonight's game. His GAA stayed the same at 1.44.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Mark Stuart*

But wait, we should definitely start Manny Fernandez!

Mark Stuart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
This is about career save percentage, not one game, and if you haven't noticed Jullien is a very defensive minded coach , no one is going to argue that ..
Obviously, I only use last night's game as an example of something we see ALL thew time with this guy, winning us games we have no business winning. If you can't see that, you are not watching the games.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:16 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:

another brilliant post from STURMnRYDA2PROV

every time i read your name in my head it comes out in a really dopey Schwarzenegger accent. I'd elaborate further, but other posters have already provided you with FACTS that prove you are completely WRONG

Thomas is the real deal.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:20 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:

You do know that Rask has a pretty bad history of choking HARD in the AHL playoffs right?

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:33 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Here's where Thomas ranks among goaltenders in Bruins history

Wins - 6th place ( 138 )

* he should finish the season firmly in 5th place

Save Percentage - 2nd ( .920 )

* Rask is currently number 1, but with only 58 games played to Thomas' 278. Still, impressive numbers for our future in net ( Rask ).

Shutouts - 7th place ( 22 )

* With 5 more shutouts, he'll find himself tied in 3rd place.

It's impressive to think what Thomas is doing in relation to past Bruins netminders and that he'll be leap frogging some of them by the time this year is done.

Old
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Here's where Thomas ranks among goaltenders in Bruins history

Wins - 6th place ( 138 )

* he should finish the season firmly in 5th place
Tonight was 139, right? He posted 13th win and came into the year with 126. 17 more and he passes Gilles Gilbert to hold the 5th spot. That's quite an accomplishment. Anyone old enough to remember Gillie knows that he did a nice job of holding down the fort when Gerry Cheevers jumped to the WHA. Those Big, Bad Bruins teams Gilbert were on racked up a boatload of wins for him. Just think what might have been if Don Cherry had actually liked him...

Quote:
Save Percentage - 2nd ( .920 )

* Rask is currently number 1, but with only 58 games played to Thomas' 278. Still, impressive numbers for our future in net ( Rask ).
Rask shouldn't even be there. There should be a 100-game minimum to even qualify for being ranked with the top save percentage. No disrespect to Tuukka, but his solid 1.25 seasons with Boston doesn't entitle him to get the nod over Thomas's overall body of work, IMO.

Quote:
Shutouts - 7th place ( 22 )

* With 5 more shutouts, he'll find himself tied in 3rd place.

It's impressive to think what Thomas is doing in relation to past Bruins netminders and that he'll be leap frogging some of them by the time this year is done.
My dad used to always talk about how good Sugar Jim Henry was when my dad was a kid. Because he came out on the short-end of those Boston-Montreal bloodbaths that cemented Maurice Richard's legendary status, he's a footnote. But to me, seeing Thomas pass Henry on the shutouts list is going to mean something. Henry was old school good-- not appreciated because he doesn't have a Stanley Cup next to his name like the other Bruins goaltending greats do- Thompson, Brimsek, Cheevers, Johnston-- but he sure gave them a chance.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 06:27 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Tonight was 139, right? He posted 13th win and came into the year with 126. 17 more and he passes Gilles Gilbert to hold the 5th spot. That's quite an accomplishment. Anyone old enough to remember Gillie knows that he did a nice job of holding down the fort when Gerry Cheevers jumped to the WHA. Those Big, Bad Bruins teams Gilbert were on racked up a boatload of wins for him. Just think what might have been if Don Cherry had actually liked him...

Rask shouldn't even be there. There should be a 100-game minimum to even qualify for being ranked with the top save percentage. No disrespect to Tuukka, but his solid 1.25 seasons with Boston doesn't entitle him to get the nod over Thomas's overall body of work, IMO.

My dad used to always talk about how good Sugar Jim Henry was when my dad was a kid. Because he came out on the short-end of those Boston-Montreal bloodbaths that cemented Maurice Richard's legendary status, he's a footnote. But to me, seeing Thomas pass Henry on the shutouts list is going to mean something. Henry was old school good-- not appreciated because he doesn't have a Stanley Cup next to his name like the other Bruins goaltending greats do- Thompson, Brimsek, Cheevers, Johnston-- but he sure gave them a chance.
Great comments Kirk, I love TT and supported him all summer, warning all the naysayers that this guy should never be counted out of the equation with his passion and pride.

I would wager that if you took the masks off the goalies today, Timmy would be the only one who would still play the flopping, diving style, to heck with the physical consequences the puck could do to a face.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
yeah lol, check his save percentage before and after Clode, tells the story ...
You think Claude Julien is the best defensive coach in the history of the game, or that Boston is the best defensive team in the history of the game?

A lot of goalies played behind far more solid defenses... there's a reason Thomas' numbers are as incredible as they are, and thinking its not because he's a great goaltender is ridiculous.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

My dad used to always talk about how good Sugar Jim Henry was when my dad was a kid. Because he came out on the short-end of those Boston-Montreal bloodbaths that cemented Maurice Richard's legendary status, he's a footnote. But to me, seeing Thomas pass Henry on the shutouts list is going to mean something. Henry was old school good-- not appreciated because he doesn't have a Stanley Cup next to his name like the other Bruins goaltending greats do- Thompson, Brimsek, Cheevers, Johnston-- but he sure gave them a chance.[/QUOTE]

Who?

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

There it is baby. THE iconic pic. I almost referenced it in the post, but had faith that you would show up!

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote