HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Junior to Senior Stick

Old
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
rbk87

vCash: 500
Junior to Senior Stick

Just bought the RBK 4k senior stick and it feels a little long, the reason why I even changed to senior was because i had a abs stick that was junior and its becoming a little short. I'm 5"10 and 156lbs playing ball hockey, is this thing too long for me?

rbk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
canuck44

At your size, there's no reason for you to be using a Jr stick. Just cut the Sr stick to length

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:06 PM
rbk87

Thx for the reply,

I'll probably cut it after a game or two if I find it uncomfortable, how exactly do you find out how much you need to cut?

Old
12-05-2010, 11:14 PM
ponder

You were using a Jr stick at 5'10"? Whoa! Yeah, just cut down your Sr stick, try cutting it down to nose height at first, shorter if it still feels too long. Many people will say you need a shorter stick for ball than ice hockey, because you don't have the added height of skates, but I actually use a slightly longer stick for ball hockey, because on ice I've almost always have a deep knee bend, whereas I'm more upright playing road hockey.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
rbk87

Actually, the top of the stick is facing my lower lip lol. The junior stick was like 5 inches below the chin LOL

Last edited by rbk87: 12-05-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old
12-05-2010, 11:51 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk87 View Post
Actually, the top of the stick is facing my lower lip lol. The junior stick was like 5 inches below the chin LOL
When measuring height you're putting the tip of the blade on the ground, keeping the stick totally vertical, and seeing where the butt end comes up to, with your head totally straight (not pointed up or down)? Because measuring this way a normal senior stick that hasn't been cut down should come up to about your eyes if you're 5'10" (without skates on obviously).

If you like shorter sticks in general, try chin height, then keep cutting it down if it still feels long.

Old
12-06-2010, 12:39 AM
rbk87

It's right at my lips if I stand straight and position it by the tip... i believe this stick is about 58 inches? probably a little shorter than most senior sticks.

Old
12-06-2010, 01:34 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk87 View Post
It's right at my lips if I stand straight and position it by the tip... i believe this stick is about 58 inches? probably a little shorter than most senior sticks.
Yeah must be a shorter one, not all senior sticks are 60", a standard 60" senior comes up to a touch above my nose in bare feet and I'm 6', so at 5'10" a standard senior should be at least up to your eyes. Or maybe you just have a really short head (mine head is actually fairly big/long) Play with the stick, if it feels too long (like you're hitting heel first on slap shots instead of hitting mid blade, awkward stick handling, etc.) then cut it down, it's all personal preference, ESPECIALLY with road hockey IMO.