HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

**** YEAH! What failure? (Habs kick Devils' ass, 5-1)

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Doesn't matter. This is a Devils team we lost to 3-0 in October. Make no mistake...5-1 drubbing over them feels good. Any victory is a good one.
Any victory is good, no one is debating that however Montreal beat a team they should. The point is we shouldn't be overeacting and thinking they are world beaters because they beat a bad team. Its about keeping things in check.

Old
12-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why were you never a big fan of such a promising Dman?..
Had good years in the OHL. Had a terrific rookie season in the AHL. Struggled a bit during his sophomore year, but still put up a decent amount of points. Was on fire in AHL this year, arguably the best player of the team, before getting called up. Always had a great shot, good speed, nice pass and puck moving skills.

Because he didn't make such a big impression on you in all of the 11games player over the past two years here, you weren't such a big fan?..Or was it also the 2 games he played as a forward this year?..

Weber has always been one of our best prospects, I really don't understand why you weren't a fan.
I can't speak for they guy you quoted, but I was/am not the biggest Weber fan either. He has yet to display the kind of smart positioning, stickwork or offence needed to be a small defenseman in the league. I am more than willing to say I quit on him quicker than some other prospects of ours. I can narrow it down to last season during the Olympics (he was garbage), when i stopped really caring if he stayed in Hamilton or got a shot in Montreal.

I never want our prospects to fail, and will be very happy to see him succeed if he does.

Old
12-03-2010, 07:45 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I've never been a big fan of Weber. If he starts playing like he did tonight against a real team that will change in a hurry. He was awesome tonight. But the Devils were morbidly bad.

I've watched the Devils for years and I have NEVER, EVER seen this type of sorry display from that team. What a horrible mess man. Guess that's what happens when a structured machine of a team like the Devils handcuffs itself for a decade with the modern version of Pavel Bure.
I have also, never seen the Devils play this bad...but, I do know that Brodeur saves their bacon an awful lot, and he wasn't there to do it last night...

Old
12-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It happens every year. These people are not Habs fans, they're fans of specific players. Sometimes they started as Habs fans, but become so enamoured with someone, that they take their career more seriously than the team.

Example A: Colorado fans from Montreal who followed Roy.

Example B: That Sergei Kostitsyn fan who used to post here.

Example C: All the Halak fans who are now cheering for St. Louis.

Those two guys struck me as the latest edition. PK Subban is just the focus of their obsession.
These last two guys are more irrational than the other examples. In case they didn't notice, PK's still a hab and likely to remain one.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 12-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old
12-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Aurel Joliat

What a nice victory !
I love this kind of game.

And Weber was very good. I hope he will be in the line-up saturday agaisnt the Sharks.

Old
12-03-2010, 08:01 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

One of my favorite things about this game is that the Habs' got some "dirty" goals. Threw the puck at the net and deposited the rebounds. Amazing what that tactic can do especially with a goaltender who allows it. LOL

Old
12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Yes, I was really impressed by the D Subbanless and Markovless. Weber is our point man on the PP and should be called up!!

Eller-Pouliot needs to be continued and Darche on the PP!!
Well being excited by Darche on the PP is questionable? Does anyone else feel that maybe making Subban a healthy scratch was a little drastic, when players make mistakes do we work them out in practice? Or send them for a time out? Under this current theory Gomez should be a healthy scratch every other game.
P.S. I like Gomez

Old
12-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
One of my favorite things about this game is that the Habs' got some "dirty" goals. Threw the puck at the net and deposited the rebounds. Amazing what that tactic can do especially with a goaltender who allows it. LOL
Most the time the Habs won't be facing crappy goaltending. This was a game in which the Habs fattened their stats but proved little. I'll remember the letdown against the Oilers longer than I will this romp.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:23 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It happens every year. These people are not Habs fans, they're fans of specific players. Sometimes they started as Habs fans, but become so enamoured with someone, that they take their career more seriously than the team.

Example A: Colorado fans from Montreal who followed Roy.

Example B: That Sergei Kostitsyn fan who used to post here.

Example C: All the Halak fans who are now cheering for St. Louis.

Those two guys struck me as the latest edition. PK Subban is just the focus of their obsession.

EDIT: No poster bashing.
First of all, example B? That poster still posts here.

Next off, I'm still a Halak fan, and I cheer for St. Louis outside of Montreal (and Vancouver who is my second favourite team). Why not follow your favourite players? I also cheered for Colorado when Brisebois & Theodore (and a few other favourites of mine) played there.

I can't really comment too much on the Roy thing because I wasn't really old enough. But at the same time, if that person MADE them a fan in the first place, its their right to pack their bags and leave with them. I know of lots of people who have gotten into a team or sports because of a certain player. They grow to love that team, but the player is who brought them into the sport so of course they'll follow them.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Martin better not do anything stupid and keep PK scratched again next game.
Agreed, The sign of a great coach is someone who can get the most out of his players, not by proving they can win without them. I think Subban will obviously rise above this but don't agree with the way it was handled.
Jack Martin see Cory Clouston vs. Dan Heatly (The Sens have struggled ever since)

Old
12-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
First of all, example B? That poster still posts here.

Next off, I'm still a Halak fan, and I cheer for St. Louis outside of Montreal (and Vancouver who is my second favourite team). Why not follow your favourite players? I also cheered for Colorado when Brisebois & Theodore (and a few other favourites of mine) played there.

I can't really comment too much on the Roy thing because I wasn't really old enough. But at the same time, if that person MADE them a fan in the first place, its their right to pack their bags and leave with them. I know of lots of people who have gotten into a team or sports because of a certain player. They grow to love that team, but the player is who brought them into the sport so of course they'll follow them.
It's one thing to follow the player, it's another to proclaim you're becoming a Leafs fan because that player was scratched for a night... or even traded.

And just saying you like Halak or even follow St. Louis doesn't make you one of the fans I was talking about above. I mean the ones who outright move on.

Good for them, that's their right, but clearly they were not really Habs fans in the first place.

I got into being a Habs fan the same way. Vincent Damphousse was my favorite player, but when he left to San Jose, I may have followed his career, but I didn't swap teams.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Capitano

It's always about the CH. Always.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Why were you never a big fan of such a promising Dman?..
Had good years in the OHL. Had a terrific rookie season in the AHL. Struggled a bit during his sophomore year, but still put up a decent amount of points. Was on fire in AHL this year, arguably the best player of the team, before getting called up. Always had a great shot, good speed, nice pass and puck moving skills.

Because he didn't make such a big impression on you in all of the 11games player over the past two years here, you weren't such a big fan?..Or was it also the 2 games he played as a forward this year?..

Weber has always been one of our best prospects, I really don't understand why you weren't a fan.
There was never any doubt in my mind about his offensive ability. I went to see him play with Hamilton once and he score two PP goals that game and he looked good offensively. It's on the defensive end without the puck I had reservations with him. Yes my sample size is small because it's based on the few times you can catch a Hamilton game and the few games he's played at the NHL level but he's a player I did watch very closely in those few NHL. I just felt he was out of position a lot and got out muscled in the NHL. He rarely was able to use his strenght (his shot) because he never really got himself in a position to do so. I just thought he looked uneasy and intimidated. Last night was entirely different though. But like I said the Devils were putrid.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:43 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
It's always about the CH. Always.
...Thanks for the input?

Old
12-03-2010, 09:51 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
NHL.com says we're in 11, but we're 0.2% ahead of 12th and more than 3% behind 10th. Still, that's a big improvement and the PK remains simply outstanding.

The Habs are, at this moment in team, a consistent winning team if not a favorite then a legit contender. Waited a decade for this.

Thank you Mr. Gainey. Apologies Mr. Gauthier.
We are still pre-all-star game and post all-star game is when teams really put on the push, don't count your chickens yet, this team needs more discipline and humility.

Old
12-03-2010, 09:57 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Potato View Post
I hate afternoon games on saturday.
I hear you u, I love the build up to the game all saturday and then enjoying it that night with a few beers. Especially if they lose the afternoon game it leaves a bad taste in your mouth the rest of the day. (the game not the beer)

Old
12-03-2010, 10:34 AM
GoodKiwi

I hate Saturday afternoon games because I end up being ****-faced as early as 5PM.

Old
12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I hate Saturday afternoon games because I end up being ****-faced as early as 5PM.
I don't mind them at all and would prefer more, usually Saturday with all the get together's and all I can never watch so in the afternoon is perfect for me

Old
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Agreed, The sign of a great coach is someone who can get the most out of his players, not by proving they can win without them. I think Subban will obviously rise above this but don't agree with the way it was handled.
Jack Martin see Cory Clouston vs. Dan Heatly (The Sens have struggled ever since)
Getting the most out of Subban is exactly what Martin is doing. Subban's confidence is one of his biggest assets, but it is something he's going to need to learn how to control. He forget he was playing defense against the Oilers and it cost the team. Sitting him for one game, as a rookie, will light a fire under his ass. While Martins decision to bench Subban suprised me, I don't think it was a mistake. My bet is that Subban will react positively to this and as a result play better defensive hockey. Everyone forgets that defense is his first priority, not entertaining fans with dazzling rushes.

Also, this is nothing like the Heatly situation. Heatly was a multiple 50 goal scoring allstar veteran. Subban hasn't even played 50 games...

Old
12-03-2010, 11:34 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Getting the most out of Subban is exactly what Martin is doing. Subban's confidence is one of his biggest assets, but it is something he's going to need to learn how to control. He forget he was playing defense against the Oilers and it cost the team. Sitting him for one game, as a rookie, will light a fire under his ass. While Martins decision to bench Subban suprised me, I don't think it was a mistake. My bet is that Subban will react positively to this and as a result play better defensive hockey. Everyone forgets that defense is his first priority, not entertaining fans with dazzling rushes.

Also, this is nothing like the Heatly situation. Heatly was a multiple 50 goal scoring allstar veteran. Subban hasn't even played 50 games...

Old
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
habsinsideout1 #Habs Martin: Not confirming Subban is back tomorrow pm vs. #Sharks, he'll sleep on lineup decision
8 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Old
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
habsinsideout1 #Habs Martin: Not confirming Subban is back tomorrow pm vs. #Sharks, he'll sleep on lineup decision
8 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Keep him on edge, I like that.

As for those who say: "He produced 50% more than Spacek!", yhea, well, the problem is that Subban has the potential of being a lot more important to the team than Spacek. What's the point of a great D-Man who only plays at 60% capacity? Subban has been taking it easy recently, and he played sub-par hockey compared to what he can genuinely achieve.

Again: sub-par compared to what he can achieve, not compared to what his teammate has produced.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't mind them at all and would prefer more, usually Saturday with all the get together's and all I can never watch so in the afternoon is perfect for me
Sounds like you're a family guy. Not the case for us unmarried folks.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
There was never any doubt in my mind about his offensive ability. I went to see him play with Hamilton once and he score two PP goals that game and he looked good offensively. It's on the defensive end without the puck I had reservations with him. Yes my sample size is small because it's based on the few times you can catch a Hamilton game and the few games he's played at the NHL level but he's a player I did watch very closely in those few NHL. I just felt he was out of position a lot and got out muscled in the NHL. He rarely was able to use his strenght (his shot) because he never really got himself in a position to do so. I just thought he looked uneasy and intimidated. Last night was entirely different though. But like I said the Devils were putrid.
Dude, if you're smart enough to realize your sample size is small, then you should be smart enough to realize any assessment of his overall game during that sample is simply not representative.
Would be like me saying MaxPac is pure garbage based on his play last year (and he played 52 games, not two handfuls like Weber). His offensive skills were non-existent and for a possible PF, he seemed to eat checks a lot more than give them ; he wasn't doing anything well except skate, but even there he seemed quite unstable on them.

There's a reason why they are called prospects. Every player in the world takes time to adapt and develop, even Crosby. He was one of the best since his rookie year, but still, he's much better now than what he was then.
Weber doesn't come close to Crosby's skills, he's a regular but good prospect. It takes time. Forming an opinion on about a dozen of games played during a tough sophomore year isn't smart.

Old
12-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Dude, if you're smart enough to realize your sample size is small, then you should be smart enough to realize any assessment of his overall game during that sample is simply not representative.
Would be like me saying MaxPac is pure garbage based on his play last year (and he played 52 games, not two handfuls like Weber). His offensive skills were non-existent and for a possible PF, he seemed to eat checks a lot more than give them ; he wasn't doing anything well except skate, but even there he seemed quite unstable on them.

There's a reason why they are called prospects. Every player in the world takes time to adapt and develop, even Crosby. He was one of the best since his rookie year, but still, he's much better now than what he was then.
Weber doesn't come close to Crosby's skills, he's a regular but good prospect. It takes time. Forming an opinion on about a dozen of games played during a tough sophomore year isn't smart.
I'm sorry I'll refrain from having an opinion on any rookie moving forward. I do have one question though. How many games does he have to play until I'm allowed to have one?

Closed Thread