Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Staubitz

Old
12-02-2010, 10:42 AM
pain2007

vCash: 500
Brad Staubitz

How's he doing in Minnesota? I liked him on the Sharks and was wondering how he's doing on his new team. Looks like he's fighting less and his ice time has been bouncing up and down. Clearly he has his limits, but has he found a role on this team and is he providing value?

pain2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Other than having a name that sounds like someone with a wharl speech impediment is saying "star bits", he's been hard to notice. Easily replaceable 4th liner. Looks damn sharp sitting in the press box, though.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

He's still finding his role on the team. The press box sheparding is not a surprise since it's what everyone expected, but when Staubitz is on the ice he hasn't shown his full potential. Plus for some reason it seems like Minnesota has stopped fighting and being aggressive.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He's an okay fourth liner who can fight and has some grit, but doesn't have much skill or speed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:17 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

We have a few guys in Houston that could have been doing what Staubitz does... for less and without spending the pick...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

vCash: 50
Agreed. Staubitz is essentially Boogaard in a smaller form.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
meh is pratically what I feel about that guy.

I must admit he skates better than Boogaard though.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 02:43 PM
saywut

Obviously a marginal player who is only in the league for his toughness. He's taken quite a few terrible penalties this year already. Thinks he's a d-man at times which leads to terrible D-zone coverage by his line(something was said that he was a D-man still learning forward at the age of 26? Quite a bit behind the curve).

He makes nothing though at 550k, so can't complain about his contract. A 5th is unlikely to amount to much either. I've been more impressed with Kassian in his call-ups, though he needs to settle down as well. Tough guys cannot take bad penalties. They are there to protect the skill guys, not the other grinders or themselves. Get smoked and the other guys not interested in fighting, take a number and skate away.

Overall I'd rather not have him on my team. He's 26 and has shown no upside. He's a poor mans Stortini or Aaros Voros, and they aren't much more than a marginal players either.

As for the comments about going up-and-down, he's been in the line-up 23 of 24 games this year on the 4th line, so no he has not bounced around.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Pilney21
Who?

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
He's still finding his role on the team. The press box sheparding is not a surprise since it's what everyone expected, but when Staubitz is on the ice he hasn't shown his full potential. Plus for some reason it seems like Minnesota has stopped fighting and being aggressive.
This is exactly what I thought too. Its hard to use Staubitz to his full potential when its seems like enforcing has been taken completely out of the game plan. He can create chances when he's out there stirring it up. That's when he was at his best in SJ.

I was extremely frustrated by this at the game last night. One of our guys got run when it was still 2-0 and we did nothing. I can't remember the exact details cause I had to resort to drinking more due to the game being so damn boring. At that point it looked like a slim to none chance of coming back, the crowd (and team) was out of it; thats the perfect situation to force a fight. But nothing.

Pilney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 07:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

boo. i like staubitz for what he is. he and nystrom aren't always effective, but it's hard not to notice that they're always into the game (unlike our "scoring" forwards). For $550k I think it's a fairly cheap price to pay for the toughness and more importantly the example he sets. Every team needs these guys--they are more useful than the old regime's Veillieux + Foy/Reitz/whoever

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I think he's got some raw talent, but to put it bluntly ... he isn't a smart a player and he's not effective. I would like to see him chip in a few goals, but instead I'm seeing him take stupid penalties. On the plus side he's a great pound for pound fighter and he's got quite a mean streak in him. I knew things were going to get interesting this year when I saw him trade fists with Justin Falk in a training camp scrimmage.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pain2007 View Post
How's he doing in Minnesota?
Poorly. For Minnesota is was a needless trade for a nearly worthless player. And not only do we trade for him, we sign him for two years.

Craig Weller was better and free. That's saying a lot.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:32 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

weller sure as hell wasn't better.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Meh, IMO is a decent response for a player like Staubitz. For me, all I'm expecting is a guy to eat up some minutes and not get himself in defense troubles.

A few fights here and there are a plus.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

To his credit though, he does draw penalties. Just remember the whole Rypien fiasco, that was Staubitz that started it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote