HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller's Flashes of Brilliance

Old
12-10-2010, 08:57 PM
redbull
game on

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
what's so strange about the trade? Seems to me the Habs did their homework
By strange I meant the circumstances around the whole Halak-Price, the "sudden" trade with St.Louis that seemed to surprise everyone.

not suggesting at all it was a bad trade for either team or whether MTL kept the right guy. I'm impressed with Eller though.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
By strange I meant the circumstances around the whole Halak-Price, the "sudden" trade with St.Louis that seemed to surprise everyone.

not suggesting at all it was a bad trade for either team or whether MTL kept the right guy. I'm impressed with Eller though.
ahhh I see...well i think Eller was obviously a guy Gauthier targetted. Had he waited longer maybe the window would of closed, the market for goalies is so weak.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's not make too much of it. Eller hasn't arrived yet, and he really has to work on his powder puff shot.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:06 PM
RE-HABS

Eller is 15-20 pounds and a little confidence away from being a top 6 player. He has the skill, the size and the reach to be a special player. All he needs is the weight and muscle to go with some confidence to be that player.

He wasn't coming here to be a top 6 guy over night.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Even if he had brown hair, I'm sure we'd still compare him to sundin and mikko koivu. The kid will be a stud.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Eller is 15-20 pounds and a little confidence away from being a top 6 player. He has the skill, the size and the reach to be a special player. All he needs is the weight and muscle to go with some confidence to be that player.

He wasn't coming here to be a top 6 guy over night.
He's so skillful with the puck that if he added that weight he'd be dominant. I picture Ryan Getzlaf.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
CN_paladin

C'mon guys, even Plekanec had to work his way up and adapt to the NHL for several years so let's give the kid some time to mature.

CN_paladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:27 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I think they knew what they gave away.
They absolutely did...Blues management and every knowledgeable Blues fan I know were all extremely high on the kid, and we all considered him to be a big part of the Blues future.

I can't recall many Blues fans who thought that the Blues were robbing Montreal in the trade. To the contrary, most of us thought we were paying a fairly steep (but fair) price. The only people throwing around the notion of larceny were the talking heads and all the Montreal/Blues fans who didn't know anything about Eller. I don't really blame them for not knowing...Blues prospects are rarely given a lot of coverage, and there isn't exactly a huge Blues fan presence on these boards. I did get a few chuckles out of some of the posts questioning his ability to even stick in the NHL...obviously, those posters never watched him play. Anyone who did would have instantly said that he had top 6 written all over him with the possibility to be something special. There's a lot to love about his game and the way he plays hockey.

I'm glad to see that Montreal is developing him well and that the fanbase is taking to him. He's a good player, and a good kid, and I'm sure everyone affiliated with the Blues wishes him the best with his new team.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Ginu

While we didn't play well tonight, Eller broke up some nice plays in the neutral zone. I'm really impressed by his hockey sense. He always seems to know where everyone is on the ice and he's in the right place at the right time more and more. He really only needs to improve his shot and gain some muscle. Imagine Eller with Pouliot's shot and Moen's size. Add that to experience of playing in the NHL and his ceiling is endless.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
They absolutely did...Blues management and every knowledgeable Blues fan I know were all extremely high on the kid, and we all considered him to be a big part of the Blues future.

I can't recall many Blues fans who thought that the Blues were robbing Montreal in the trade. To the contrary, most of us thought we were paying a fairly steep (but fair) price. The only people throwing around the notion of larceny were the talking heads and all the Montreal/Blues fans who didn't know anything about Eller. I don't really blame them for not knowing...Blues prospects are rarely given a lot of coverage, and there isn't exactly a huge Blues fan presence on these boards. I did get a few chuckles out of some of the posts questioning his ability to even stick in the NHL...obviously, those posters never watched him play. Anyone who did would have instantly said that he had top 6 written all over him with the possibility to be something special. There's a lot to love about his game and the way he plays hockey.

I'm glad to see that Montreal is developing him well and that the fanbase is taking to him. He's a good player, and a good kid, and I'm sure everyone affiliated with the Blues wishes him the best with his new team.
Ever since his progression from late 1st round pick to potential top 10 by some scouting reports in 2007, I became interested in Eller. His European reports were very good and some Blues fans expectations were pretty high. After he became a finalist to AHL rookie of the year last season and making the rookies all-star team, I knew the Blues wouldn't make him available for a trade. As much as I valued Halak's potential (and I still do), I think Gauthier got the best he could ever got for him.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:13 PM
InPriceWeTrust

Eller will be one of the top european players in the league!

Give him time!

Once he starts hittin the gym hard next summer, he will turn into a monster!

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 04:40 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post

I've mentioned this before but I thought the low point for him was against a loss to Ottawa. But ever since then he seems to surprise with something new and positive every game whether it be a good hit, a new move or a good shot and playmaking. I like the kid a lot and as much criticism as Jacques Martin receives for developing young kids, I think he's been great with Eller. Great find by Pierre Gauthier IMO.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote