HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller's Flashes of Brilliance

Old
11-19-2010, 12:26 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
I think people were pretty patient until it became evident that Latendresse was lazy and blamed others for his problems. Even then, many people (particularly in the Francophone media) made excuses for him.

If Lars starts not finishing his checks, not hustling, and waiting for others to "set him up", then more people will begin losing patience with him as well.
And what about putting some pucks in the net ? We have also a less heralded Pyatt to do the same....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Mr Rogers

I was aware he had a solid skating stance and good leg strength but not to the point of just shoving people around while carying the puck.

There was this shift he went digging for the puck in the corners, he snatched it from a Preds forward and just shoved the defensemen coming in to ground. All that while keeping the puck in possession. My dad was like ''whoa who was that?'' I said Eller and he said ''I don't know him but he's gonna be something special''

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:37 PM
phoque taupe

He would be better, but he scared because something might happen to him

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I thought the game against nashville was eller's best of the season. His level of consistency from shift to shift is on the rise. If he keeps this up, I wouldn't hesitate to put him in a top 6 role.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
THE HOFF

he seems confident in his scoring abilities/dekes/passes even if he plays less minutes than he'd obviously want to. If it comes to the point where he's affected in his confidence by his lack of playing time, send him down. As long as he keeps his head up and tries hard to perform every game ... keep him here...

I personally think he's being handled to perfection...rewarded when he plays well ... we've seen him in overtime and other situations where he actually earned to play. He sacrificed some creativity to acquire NHL discipline and defensive play... it will probably keep his numbers down for a year, maybe two... but in the long run I do believe he has what it takes to be paired with offensive minded players and post numbers on the board.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Andy

I thought I might bump this. I made this thread last week because I started to notice a positive trend in Eller's game. It was clear that he was starting to just and that it was a matter of time before he'd come around.

His talent level is undeniable, we have a really special player here boys (if he develops into what I think he can).

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 09:39 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Ditto what the hoff said

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Kriss E

I think for the past 2 weeks or so, he's started to come into his own. I think I really started to notice him during that game where he pulled a Forsberg move. Going towards the boards to pick the puck up, he stopped short and pushed himself back with his shoulders completely knocking the guy down, and then continued moving the puck around.
From that game on, I don't there's one single one that he didn't impress me in.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:59 PM
SB164

If JM helps him develop a great defensive game, he'll be our Mikko Koivu.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:24 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
Joel Bouchard is a complete moron. I can understand how the guy can assess the team's performance, but for a guy like him who never did anything of any kind of value to start bashing Subban's technical abilities with the puck... I seriously was... WUT???
not sure you're talking about what i think you are and whether the guy is a moron or not is irrelevant. when he said - twice - that subban lifts his stick way too high to take a slapshot from the blue line, the man had a point. it IS raised too high... and just to rub it in, not five minutes after he said that, hammer (i think it was) takes a nice wrist shot from the point, deflected in...

don't get me wrong though, i have a major man-crush on the chocolate rocket so it's all good

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Jafar
C'est la vie

vCash: 50
Sometimesi n the game Eller was the player at defense for a couple of second for some reasons and he skated with puck and I didnt recognize him but thought ''whos this player again?'' thinking he was one of the best of the team the way he handled his sakting&stickhandling together , then I realised it was Lars Eller.This means he has talent , and I hope he will reach his potential.I could see a 30-40 player in him.Im that confident.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Guilliam

Yep. Eller is showing great things. We'll have a hell of a 1-2 punch in a couple of years when he's developed a bit more and Pleks will still be in his prime...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:19 AM
BlackStar

I'm so impressed with Eller, he and Pouliot seem perfect for each other. Great thread btw.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
If JM helps him develop a great defensive game, he'll be our Mikko Koivu.
We should all be extrmely thrilled if he became a mikko koivu.

I see a little bit of koivu in him too, although he wont be as big as mikko.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 07:59 AM
andrew2

Does anyone else think Lars Eller looks like Gellieman????

andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:17 AM
andrew2

Does anyone else think Lars Eller looks like Gellieman????

andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
We should all be extrmely thrilled if he became a mikko koivu.

I see a little bit of koivu in him too, although he wont be as big as mikko.
Yup, no way he'll ever reach 207lbs...he'll gain 8lbs to 206 and plateau there

Joking aside, Miko is 6'2" 207lbs and Eller is 6'2" 198lbs...not sure where you get that he "won't be as big" If he fills out a bit more that's the size he'll be.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Gros Bill

I liked the kid from the get go. Good, strong skater, creative, good hockey sense, I think he's going to be a good one. He still has a ways to develop, but I think he's being handled well. I suspect that even before the end of this season, we will be very happy to have him.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I liked the kid from the get go. Good, strong skater, creative, good hockey sense, I think he's going to be a good one. He still has a ways to develop, but I think he's being handled well. I suspect that even before the end of this season, we will be very happy to have him.
How good do you anticipate him to be?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Agreed...he's got the tool box and I also like his attitude, it doesn't look like effort/motivation will be an issue with him. So unlike Pierre McGuire, i'm not ready to label Lars Eller a 3rd liner.

A bit more strength and experience will do him some good...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Despite our need for a top 6 winger, I have now switched my position and am convinced that Eller should stay at center. He just is starting to look so confident, and we shouldn't mess with that. Anyway, if he's playing with Pouliot, he's got talent beside him anyway. Maybe let him play the wing on the PP...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Despite our need for a top 6 winger, I have now switched my position and am convinced that Eller should stay at center. He just is starting to look so confident, and we shouldn't mess with that. Anyway, if he's playing with Pouliot, he's got talent beside him anyway. Maybe let him play the wing on the PP...
I think having a guy like Eller in the bottom 6 gives the team depth in terms of another guy that can carry the puck and make plays. You can have a grinding checking line(Halpern Pyatt Moen) and a 3rd offensive line(Eller with 2 of Pouliot Darche or Lapierre).

Old
11-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
How good do you anticipate him to be?
I'm no expert, but the ceiling seems awfully high for this guy. I would say easily a No. 2 center, wouldn't be surprised at No.1 .

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:15 PM
TheBuriedHab

Hes been playing awesome. I don't think he is ready yet for top 6 minutes yet though. I still see some turnovers in the neutral zone that won't get him more time under Martin. But he is developing nicely in the bottom 6. Martin looks like he knows what hes doing with him. He should get some more pp time I hope however.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm no expert, but the ceiling seems awfully high for this guy. I would say easily a No. 2 center, wouldn't be surprised at No.1 .
His ceiling is very high, he could be as good as a 90 point all-star calibre #1 center. He may top out at a 50-60 point two way #2 center though. I don't think he is very far from that, he'll be pushing Gomez soon if he can start putting up numbers. Early on he had a lot of flashes but not much in terms of results.